As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Hunters], Misdirecting everyone but tanks since '07

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You weren't using Serpent Sting before? What's wrong with you?

reVerse on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I never tried to figure out a proper rotation. I only used Cobra Shot for the 9 focus it generated :D. Then it dawned on me, that Cobra also refreshes Serpent Sting ... so I thought it might be a good idea to put that up first and keep it up.

TheBigEasy on
    edited February 2011
    You're a Marksman... and you use Cobra Shot?

You're doing it wrong.

Pro tip: read the tooltip for Chimera Shot.

reVerse on
    edited February 2011
    Wow ... I knew about the healing ... but I never knew about the refreshing of Serpent Sting :D.

Besides ... either Elitist Jerks or Hunter Union had Cobra in their raid rotation. And since I don't figure these things out for myself, I just take theirs :D.

I guess I'll have to put some more thought into all of this ...

TheBigEasy on
    edited February 2011
    The Elitist Jerks Marksman thread specifically says that Steady Shot is superior. I have no idea what this Hunter Union is.

Also, a bear isn't a DPS pet. Wolf, cat, raptor are your best bets, depending on the group composition.

reVerse on
    edited February 2011
    www.warcrafthuntersunion.com

And now that I look at it ... they don't have it in their MM rotation either. Then I have no idea how I got it into my head to use it. Maybe I confused a survival rotation with this ... I don't know ...

And I took the bear because he needed leveling up, not because of the DPS. I was just surprised that I was able to pull more DPS then with the Raptor, but it probably wasn't because of the pet.

TheBigEasy on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe you interpreted CS (Chimera Shot) as Cobra Shot at some point. Hunter ability abbreviations have too much overlap. :/

forty on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am excited; Spirit Beast's heal is going to be even stronger now that we (and they) have 10% more AP.

Rius on
    edited February 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Oh and my rotation is ... Serpent Sting, 2x Steadies, Chimeara, Arcane, Cobra, 2x Steadies ... after the second set of steadies Chimera is usually up again. Hit the free Aimed, when it procs ...
    I'm curious if getting the Imp SS buff up earlier is better than getting CS (your hardest hitter) on cooldown earlier. You might investigate if it works better to CS right after the SerpS before going into the double SS.

forty on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    www.warcrafthuntersunion.com

And now that I look at it ... they don't have it in their MM rotation either. Then I have no idea how I got it into my head to use it. Maybe I confused a survival rotation with this ... I don't know ...

And I took the bear because he needed leveling up, not because of the DPS. I was just surprised that I was able to pull more DPS then with the Raptor, but it probably wasn't because of the pet.

Tank pets often end up contributing slightly more to overall dps due to charge and their use of thunderstomp on trash packs. Not so much on bosses.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cat > Wolf

I believe the rotation on live is going to involve a heavy use of Aimed Shot, with Arcane only being used when moving.

Don't quote me but.....

ChimeraS > aimed > steady as a shot filler. Always steadyx2 with >4 seconds on ISS.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cat > Wolf

I believe the rotation on live is going to involve a heavy use of Aimed Shot, with Arcane only being used when moving.

Don't quote me but.....

ChimeraS > aimed > steady as a shot filler. Always steadyx2 with >4 seconds on ISS.

What is the reasoning behind Cat > Wolf?

I thought a lot of it depended on what buffs you are trying to bring.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cat > Wolf

Don't quote me but.....

I played MM briefly while gearing up in heroics and I don't see why you would use Aimed shot unless you have the instant proc up. Forgive me if I'm wrong... isn't the cast time for it 3 secs with no auto shots going off during it?

Rakeeth on
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I'm trying out MM on live servers and aimed shot is critting for 40k+, and chimera shot for 28k+. I can't shake the feeling that these numbers are a bit high. I'd love to try it out in a 5 man or something but I'm currently bugged in LFD thanks to the worgen bug.

Although if these numbers stay the way they are, I can see why people are saying aimed shot is the new focus dump. Also, base cast time is 2.4 seconds now, not 3.

Emporium on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think that the Aimed Shot changes they made on the PTR were made incorrectly, resulting in abnormally high damage; they fixed that for the live patch but not for the PTR.

Rius on
    edited February 2011
    Cat > Wolf

Don't quote me but.....

The agility is worth more then the crit. This is for solo. If you are trying to bring buffs then it depends on group composition (obviously)
    I played MM briefly while gearing up in heroics and I don't see why you would use Aimed shot unless you have the instant proc up. Forgive me if I'm wrong... isn't the cast time for it 3 secs with no auto shots going off during it?

Aimed Shot is the new truck mode now, and as was already said it had it's cast time reduced.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cat > Wolf

Don't quote me but.....

I would assume the reasoning being primary stat buff > secondary stat buff. That is, STR/AGL is much more potent than Crit, though I suppose crit would benefit more than physical damage classes (i.e. healers and casters and such). Of course, it probably does depend on what buffs your group already has though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited February 2011
    Cat > Wolf

Don't quote me but.....

The agility is worth more then the crit. This is for solo. If you are trying to bring buffs then it depends on group composition (obviously)

Aimed Shot is the new truck mode now, and as was already said it had it's cast time reduced.

Ah gotcha. Didn't realize you were talking about soloing.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited February 2011
    That seems screwy as hell if it's better to hard cast Aimed Shot than use Arcane Shot, even below 80% target health. Seems like that would make mastery worse than ever for MM since you're cutting down on the number of auto-shots put out. I have to wonder if that's the intended rotation.

forty on
    edited February 2011
    I think it's intended. Back in Vanilla the cool thing was weaving in your aimed shots so they didn't screw with your Auoshots.

ATM Aimed shot is bugged, it still has a 3.0 second base cast. My dps is, however, compareable (maybe slightly higher) then my survival spec atm.

Also, I believe there is more of a reason to get haste now then. Depsite the fact that we can cut under the .9 second cast time... that's a lot of Aimed Shots.

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, but "back in vanilla" everything was fucked up and terrible, so I don't know if a return to that style is necessarily intended. I guess it makes MM play a little more differently, but the fact that it's counteractive to the mastery bonus makes it seem like it wasn't part of the plan.

forty on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't run anything yet, but aside from all the MM discussion, what sort of drop has Survival seen in DPS?

Dranyth on
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Crap, steady shot and cobra shot no longer auto-align you to your target. I guess that's a small price to pay for all the buffs though. I was already fairly happy with BM but this just seals the deal.

Glyph on
    edited February 2011
    BM seems very nice now, i'm loving the changes!

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I'm going to ignore people who tell me to just use aimed and chimera with steady for focus gains, gimped the hell out of my DPS.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Have a hunter alt that I practically only use to farm skinning in tb with, and I'm wondering if this is an issue? Every now and then I get aggroed on mount and sic the pet, whom I know is full or close to full health, on the mob immediately after dismounting and mindlessly start dipsing the mob. It's just that occasionally the pet just fucking insta-dies. We're talking not even a couple of seconds before I'm having a face full of mob, wondering why, and seeing the the dead pet.

Panda4You on
    edited February 2011
    Panda4You wrote: »
    . It's just that occasionally the pet just fucking insta-dies. We're talking not even a couple of seconds before I'm having a face full of mob, wondering why, and seeing the the dead pet.

I am not entirely sure ... but I think sometimes the Pet takes a second or two to get to full health after appearing. And if the mob hits hard in exactly that second, it can die ...

But as I said ... I am not sure, so take it with a grain of salt. It hasn't happened to me, but I have seen my pet appear with about 25% health and then jump to 100% a few seconds later.

TheBigEasy on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am not entirely sure ... but I think sometimes the Pet takes a second or two to get to full health after appearing. And if the mob hits hard in exactly that second, it can die ...
    Yeah this was my suspicion as well. Pretty goddamn irritating anyhoo.

Panda4You on
    edited February 2011
    There are plenty of things they need to fix with the pets right now. I've lost count of how many times they've inopportunely gotten stuck or died immediately after I dismounted (they have only like 6k health for the first 1-2 seconds) and it's really a serious balance issue imo.
    BM seems very nice now, i'm loving the changes!

BM was always my favorite spec except during WotLK when it just became completely impractical for either raids or pvp. But even before this patch, it was making a comeback in Cata so the latest changes just add to that. I never thought I'd be doing close to 19k dps in heroics with it.

only2ndbest.png

Glyph on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    . It's just that occasionally the pet just fucking insta-dies. We're talking not even a couple of seconds before I'm having a face full of mob, wondering why, and seeing the the dead pet.

But as I said ... I am not sure, so take it with a grain of salt. It hasn't happened to me, but I have seen my pet appear with about 25% health and then jump to 100% a few seconds later.

I've seen it take close to 10 seconds for my pet to show full health (or rather, its max health to increase to where it should be). I always thought this was just a display bug. Good to know this isn't the case... I guess. :?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I've seen it take close to 10 seconds for my pet to show full health (or rather, its max health to increase to where it should be). I always thought this was just a display bug. Good to know this isn't the case... I guess. :?

I've noticed that. Sometimes I'll dismount and my pet will show 0/0 hp for a few seconds before returning to normal... odd bug.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah this was my suspicion as well. Pretty goddamn irritating anyhoo.

Even more irritating when I used mend pet to heal it up before mounting up and the next time I dismount the pet is back to where it was and I have to heal it to full again.

Poketpixie on
    edited February 2011
    I was a bit bummed that I wasn't able to convince my guild to do a Random Heroic last night (We ended up 9 manning a large chunk of Ulduar on heroic for laughs. Got the starcaller title for beating the start guy with a rogue as our second tank :))

I'm hoping that I get to queue up for one somewhat soon, I really would like to compare my output to before. But just on the bosses we were doing in Ulduar I was able to top the charts a few times with other members who are a bit more geared than me.

But ultimately the biggest bonus is that I can bring my nifty spirit pets into Instances now!

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my dps was awful both as mm and survival last night -- apparently my MM rotation just wasn't right, from my limited research this morning it looks like AiS hard cast, SS in pairs and AiS on instant

ToddJewell on
    edited February 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Yeah, but "back in vanilla" everything was fucked up and terrible, so I don't know if a return to that style is necessarily intended. I guess it makes MM play a little more differently, but the fact that it's counteractive to the mastery bonus makes it seem like it wasn't part of the plan.

I guess it's all personal then. I loved the Vanilla Hunter rotation. Mastery is now the worst secondary stat for 2/3 specs (Not sure about BM).

Marks Stuff:
    80% > : SSx2-> RF -> Readiness -> AiS -> Ai -> Steady as focus builder, only use AiS. RF again once first one drops.

Below 80% -> "Normal" Rotation. Only use Chimera to keep SrS up.

< 20% -> KS > AiS > Chimera for Refresh

Pop RF and Readiness whenever possible.

Glyphs : RF, SS, AiS

Stat Weights :Hit> Crit > Haste > Mastery

I will be swapping to Survival for anything with adds. 2/2 entrapment and Serpent Spread are too boss to give up. (Cho'Gall, Maloriak, Magmaw)

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited February 2011
    Eh, watching an auto-shot timer and feigning death to sit down and drink in the middle of a boss fight were not engaging elements to me. The latter doesn't even feel hunter-like.

forty on
    edited February 2011
    I had wisdom. Which meant I only had to drink once a fight. HORRAY!

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited February 2011
    Wait so is anyone else noticing that steady shot and cobra shot no longer auto-align you to face your target? Like usually if what you're shooting at is off to the side or moving around, your character will automatically turn to directly face it when casting steady shot/cobra shot.

I asked a GM about this and he said this wasn't an intended patch change so I don't know what's going on.

Glyph on
    edited February 2011
    That feature sucked for PVP. My bigger concern is thus:

Current MM mechanics are heavily devaluing Mastery, as well as our passive Marksman bonus (15% Autoshot damage). Why we can cast Steady and still autoshot but not Aimed is beyond me.

Steady / Cobra do not stack River of Death.

I can only trap one target at a time with freezing.

And I left my authenticator at home, so I can't post on the bug forums :(

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Any more information about the earlier claim about aimed shot hitting for 40k in heroics? seems a bit...high...

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum