As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Peace, Justice, Unity [UNIFIED DISCUSSION]

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Core wrote: »
    Hey Pony I was kicking around the idea of a guy named the Unbeliever, his only power is that he doesn't believe in superpowers, and his will being so strong actually makes that real. This only works on anyone in his visual range though, but would exclude people he can't see so invisibility would work around him. Now would this be the type of power that would piss off Ultimatum enough that he would want to take this guy out?

Depends.

Ultimatum himself has a force of will so powerful he can simply disbelieve in the existence of magic and use that to counter magical powers used against him.

But that's because his will over-rides the mystical forces themselves. Arguably, this in and of itself is a magical power.

How would your character negate all superpowers, especially when people have such a variety of origins and power sources? How can any one person enforce their will upon the world so powerfully they could negate, say, cyborgs and mages and mutants? Those things have nothing to do with each other. You're talking about a character whose ability is to essentially alter reality.

And those tend to be overpowered and unworkable in a RPG setting. And definitely the sort of thing that's going to get you cannoned from space.

More importantly, would you have fun playing a character who basically stands in defiance of all that happens around him and willfully blinds himself to reality? Would you enjoy playing someone so self-deluded?

Now, if you narrow the scope a little, like say a mutant whose ability is to "normalize" the genetics of other mutants, essentially negating their powers (like Leech from X-Men) that's a bit more workable, but the same question remains: Would it actually be fun to play, or would you just be a giant PKing screwhole to everyone else?

Pony on
  • Options
    NondocNondoc Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Harrier wrote: »
    Man, can someone think of some plausible ways to use teleportation as Defense? Everything I can think of is more evasion than outright defense, which falls under Movement.

If a bunch of characters have some sort of acrobatics/dodging as a defense, then I don't see why teleporting rapidly around another guy wouldn't be the same mechanically.

Nondoc on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Question to Pony: Is there anything we need to do to specify powers that can affect more than 1 target? For ex, my Thorn Blades are a basic melee single target attack. My spore powers though would be more like a gas that covers an entire room, should I make a note of that or somesuch? And take my Thorn Burst, which is a short-medium ranged attack, could I adjust that to hit single or multiple targets on the go?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man, can someone think of some plausible ways to use teleportation as Defense? Everything I can think of is more evasion than outright defense, which falls under Movement.

Dodging out of the way is Defense.

A feat of your teleportation could actually be "Teleport Dodge" and set as Defense

Pony on
  • Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pony what is the estimate until we have the Wiki up

Favlaud on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pony wrote: »

Dodging out of the way is Defense.

A feat of your teleportation could actually be "Teleport Dodge" and set as Defense
    Ah, I guess so. Thanks.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Question to Pony: Is there anything we need to do to specify powers that can affect more than 1 target? For ex, my Thorn Blades are a basic melee single target attack. My spore powers though would be more like a gas that covers an entire room, should I make a note of that or somesuch? And take my Thorn Burst, which is a short-medium ranged attack, could I adjust that to hit single or multiple targets on the go?

Encounters are "mass combat", so to speak. They happen essentially simultaneously. So no, you really don't, because you can use your offensive and defensive abilities against everyone involved in that combat simultaneously.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Favlaud wrote: »

June 10th most likely.

Pony on
  • Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Favlaud wrote: »

June 10th most likely.

I will make my character sheet then, and update my backstory the same day

I have been thinking long and hard about the changes I intend to make with it

Favlaud on
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Encounters are "mass combat", so to speak. They happen essentially simultaneously. So no, you really don't, because you can use your offensive and defensive abilities against everyone involved in that combat simultaneously.

So, if you were to fight more than 1 opponent, would you just break it down and fight each opponent seperatly.

Or would you only be able to use an ability once that encounter against one opponent.

Because, if it's the first one, then I don't really see the advantage of attacking anyone with a group.

Fedora on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fedora wrote: »

So, if you were to fight more than 1 opponent, would you just break it down and fight each opponent seperatly.

Or would you only be able to use an ability once that encounter against one opponent.

Because, if it's the first one, then I don't really see the advantage of attacking anyone with a group.

When you have clearly defined sides, you basically add all Offenses and Defenses together per side.

Almost like they were one character.

Combined might really is the best way to take down big things.

Hell, a group of level 5 heroes could probably take Ultimatum down if they were lucky.

Pony on
  • Options
    CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Core wrote: »
    Hey Pony I was kicking around the idea of a guy named the Unbeliever, his only power is that he doesn't believe in superpowers, and his will being so strong actually makes that real. This only works on anyone in his visual range though, but would exclude people he can't see so invisibility would work around him. Now would this be the type of power that would piss off Ultimatum enough that he would want to take this guy out?

Depends.

Ultimatum himself has a force of will so powerful he can simply disbelieve in the existence of magic and use that to counter magical powers used against him.

But that's because his will over-rides the mystical forces themselves. Arguably, this in and of itself is a magical power.

How would your character negate all superpowers, especially when people have such a variety of origins and power sources? How can any one person enforce their will upon the world so powerfully they could negate, say, cyborgs and mages and mutants? Those things have nothing to do with each other. You're talking about a character whose ability is to essentially alter reality.

And those tend to be overpowered and unworkable in a RPG setting. And definitely the sort of thing that's going to get you cannoned from space.

More importantly, would you have fun playing a character who basically stands in defiance of all that happens around him and willfully blinds himself to reality? Would you enjoy playing someone so self-deluded?

Now, if you narrow the scope a little, like say a mutant whose ability is to "normalize" the genetics of other mutants, essentially negating their powers (like Leech from X-Men) that's a bit more workable, but the same question remains: Would it actually be fun to play, or would you just be a giant PKing screwhole to everyone else?

Yeah essentially you went over many of the reasons why I haven't put into too much effort on this guy. I think I like Doc Insector a lot more, maybe not as powerful but probably would end up being a lot more fun to play.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think a Leech-type who negates other heroes' powers could be really fun if played the right way

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    NondocNondoc Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    I think a Leech-type who negates other heroes' powers could be really fun if played the right way

I think the problem with a leech character in this system is that they can never completley get rid of most characters' powers unless they were level 10 or so, just weaken them

Nondoc on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quetzi wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Okay. The Hound's character sheet is correct now, I think.

Retreat should be a movement feat. And what are your feelings on working for a vicious den of murderers?

I thought feats were only Offense, Defense, Alteration, Sensory, and General? And the Hound is totally willing to work for you.

No, movement is in there too. It's always good to try and have one of those too, because you can get out of a fight with it.

Okay. Fixed.

Anyways, with regards to your employment. You're significantly less powerful than the rest of the offices is one of the only problems I see, as you definitely have skills that could be useful. As such, we'd probably only bring you out for special cases, ones which required your unique skillset, or ones that we needed every bit of manpower we could get.

That's okay, because the filters at work block the forums now. Just call on me when you need someone found.

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aw, man. This could be like 1999-2001 all over again.

I don't supose it's too late to get in on this, is it?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Aw, man. This could be like 1999-2001 all over again.

I don't supose it's too late to get in on this, is it?

it's not

now go read 260 pages of posts and you'll be up to speed

i kid i kid

there's a wiki i'm working on that explains all.

Pony on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Naw, it's all good. Go on.

Edit: Shit, beaten again.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, Pony. You've talked about the Vanguard, who, as the real power of SUN, are the planet's premiere superhero team.

Any supervillain teams you've gotten nailed down yet, or are you still working on those?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, Pony. You've talked about the Vanguard, who, as the real power of SUN, are the planet's premiere superhero team.

Any supervillain teams you've gotten nailed down yet, or are you still working on those?

Uh, SIGMA, SUNSET, SUN, the Vanguard, The Perfect Council, that Mutant supremacist group, what the hell is in toyko, Or munich for that matter.

None of these groups seem all that nice.

Edit: Oh, and the Temple of Ram guys.

Fedora on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    why don't people read the OP jesus christ

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh god Genesis' theme is in the OP. HAHAHAHA.

I <3 you guys.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Be nice Viv. I didn't name off all the factions and so forth in the OP...yet.

Also, you're welcome. <3

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Uh, SIGMA, SUNSET, SUN, the Vanguard, The Perfect Council, that Mutant supremacist group, what the hell is in toyko, Or munich for that matter.

Nevertheless, many of them at least claim to be working for some higher good.

How about some guys who band together for the express purpose of gaining power for purely selfish reasons? Every good superhero world needs those. Or are they obsolete after the Anathema?

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You're going to inadvertently start a debate as to whether or not supervillains are really villains or just misunderstood or misled/misguided.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    You're going to inadvertently start a debate as to whether or not supervillains are really villains or just misunderstood or misled/misguided.
    Fuck that, I just want to know if this world has its Legion of Doom or not.

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Nevertheless, many of them at least claim to be working for some higher good.

the express purpose of gaining power for purely selfish reasons?

That pretty much describes every group I listed. Sure, some of them joined up to "save the world" but they "saved" it by enforcing their will upon everyone. The Mutant supremacist group? They just want Mutants to rule the world. That's pretty selfish.

The Temple of Ram? A group dedicated to worshiping a power-mad supposed Demi-God whose ambitions include making people worship him and ruling over all of greece. Hell, he succeeded!

Fedora on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Point taken. Well, points taken, really.

It's a dangerous world for the lone vigilante trying to make a difference....

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    But the lone vigilantes get the most ass

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Point also taken

:winky:

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is Redeemer (the character, not the duder) gay?

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pretty much

He's essentially me with powers

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Goddammit.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Also I guess my character has to be killed by some sort of superhero AIDS analogue

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Also I guess my character has to be killed by some sort of superhero AIDS analogue

To teach us all a valuable lesson about tolerance...Next week, on a very special "Unified"

Fedora on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fuck that tired Claremont shit, come join the Errant Knights and be awesome with us!

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man, I don't know you guys. I think I might write up another character if Blak doesn't pan out.

He'd be a dude who used those experimental "Non-Lethal" weapons on people. Just auto-shottgunning the fuck out of people with bean-bag rounds.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    AND DON'T YOU DARE FUCKING BRING UP SHAQ IN STEEL

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pretty much

He's essentially me with powers

We could be brothers! Over the course of the past year I've had 3 different characters with my D&D group, all drastically different in powers but all essentially me, and I'm about to bring back the first character, which is me if I was a D&D character.

Bacunawa is me, except more Filipino. Because seriously, I was raised with my white mother and I didn't learn jack about my heritage.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fuck that tired Claremont shit, come join the Errant Knights and be awesome with us!

Tell me about the Errant Knights

Also - to those who commissioned me to work on character themes - I need to re-install GarageBand but the CD is with a friend, so I'll have it done tomorrow

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
This discussion has been closed.