As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Warriors, Heroically Leaping into your Hearts

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A 1 minute cooldown trinket is insane fast. You can use it.. and then use it again.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I did some reforging, and I'm about as close to equal on dodge/parry as you can be in rating (1464 to 1465, getting +8.28% and +8.29% respectively), but parry's real chance is slightly higher than dodge, 12.66% to 12.21%. I block 42% of the time, which is coincidentally the supposed block value meta convergence point where it overtakes the armor value meta.

When considering I gained quite a bit in block from the reforge, my total avoidance is almost exactly what it was before, but I've just shifted the points in to parry and block.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited January 2011
    Got the Dragonmaw rep tank boots, which pushed me over the key 77.4% avoidance+block. Shield Block is now a lower strength Shield Wall (for physical damage). On top of that I have the Mirror (for magical damage).

Feels good.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited January 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Got the Dragonmaw rep tank boots, which pushed me over the key 77.4% avoidance+block. Shield Block is now a lower strength Shield Wall (for physical damage). On top of that I have the Mirror (for magical damage).

Feels good.

I am working on that rep right now. I'm a couple heroics away from Exalted. Then I have to do the cat people rep to Exalted for the bracers.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    shameless bump! TANK ON!

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
    edited February 2011
    I need to grind my Hellscream faction for a Mirror of Broken Images. It will go really nicely with my Leaden Despair until Magmaw drops the Worm for me.

GnomeTank on
    edited February 2011
    Ha, so we had two Soul Blade's (http://www.wowhead.com/item=59521) drop in BoT tonight. Both the Paladin tank and I got one. It's really a pretty good Paladin/Warrior tanking weapon because of the mastery. I reforged some of the hit to parry and slapped mending on there and called it a day.

GnomeTank on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Ha, so we had two Soul Blade's (http://www.wowhead.com/item=59521) drop in BoT tonight. Both the Paladin tank and I got one. It's really a pretty good Paladin/Warrior tanking weapon because of the mastery. I reforged some of the hit to parry and slapped mending on there and called it a day.

The one of those we got went to our DK. I have the maloriak tanking mace and I guess the pali MT didnt want it.

Jubal77 on
    edited February 2011
    I have a couple pieces at i333 still, especially my chest and shoulders. Also need to get some Hyjal and Ramkahen rep for those pieces. Kinda burnt out on heroics though. Feels like a huge drag to finish full pre-raid gearing, especially when I may not have time to raid regularly. Perhaps I just need a break after the new x-pack rush.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I have the mirror of broken images, the alchemists stone, and the symbiotic worm (which I've named 'Fred'). Currently using the worm and the stone except for the double dragons, but I'm wondering if I should replace the stone with the mirrior for general use for the mastery. Thoughts? Opinions? Snide remarks?

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    edited February 2011
    I assume you have this one: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=80508 for your Alchemist Stone (the stam + mastery one).

You'd obviously lose some stam, but you'd gain avoidance because the Mirror is a lot more mastery. The Mirror + Worm is what I plan to eventually use, but I don't have Alchemy to make the stone either...so that's a tough choice.

GnomeTank on
    edited February 2011
    Just got done with a 5 or so min parse with SMF and the dps is not bad. I still found myself not enraging as much as I hoped and found if I didnt rotate in Zerk Rage and Death Wish properly. Slam is ahead of HS as we thought it would be. The Burst to 15k singletarget then slowly weed down to 10k on the target dummy is still in effect but that seemed to be where I was steadying at was 10.5kdps w/o execute spam.

Biggest crits I was getting was ~40k if raging blow crit on MH and OH at same time. Now I am going to parse TG Fury.

Jubal77 on
    edited February 2011
    OK small parse done for TG Fury. It was a little less than SMF but that could be just because my rotation was not as good this time around. TG seems a little less forgiving on the rotation and I seemed to get starved easier but I did make a couple of mistakes. Slam increased on the meters but not much as it is RNG oriented still and was only critting for 20k.

Edit: So for SMF I am still going 2/3 Incite and 3/3 DW for a bit because 1h Deep Wounds sucks but it is consistent dmg and I still found I had the rage to use HS with my normal rotation. Plus I am most likely going SMF for awhile.

Jubal77 on
  • Mysterious FoxMysterious Fox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hello, Warrior thread.

As an 85 protection warrior is there any way to solo the Infinite Corruptor from Heroic CoS? I can get there with about 4 minutes to spare (before this morning's patch, at least), but his stacking debuff is murderous. About the only thing I can think of is ye olde Moistened Towellette. Are there any other options i'm not thinking of? Some trivial trinket from yesteryears that would allow my dreams to come true?

Mysterious Fox on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you have a DPS offspec? Both of his abilities (stacking % of health dot and strike that ignores armor) negate the normal advantages tanks have when soloing things, so you might be better off going that route if you can.

Smasher on
  • Mysterious FoxMysterious Fox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, may be worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

Mysterious Fox on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    did they change warrior rage at all this patch for prot? I am feeling really rage starved on bosses.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No announced changes, so it's either Onyxia deep breathing more or another obscure server side bug like the rogue energy thing.

forty on
    edited February 2011
    You are in fact, Not Crazy (tm) Cased. Blue post today:
    An apparent last-minute bug which was not found on the PTR before the patch was finalized has caused the client and server to disagree on the way haste affects resource generation. This bug will manifest itself in the UI showing a player they have enough resources to use an ability, but the server correctly prevents it as they in fact do not. A death knight for example might see a rune light up that isn’t actually available so when they use the ability, it won’t fire. A rogue may think they have enough energy to use Sinister Strike, but they can’t actually afford it so when they push the button, they will get an error. This bug could affect rogues, death knights, hunters and Feral druids, because these characters all gain more resources from haste. It will also affect buffs that affect attack speed, such as Slice and Dice, Windfury, Icy Talons, and Hunting Party, but also attack speed lowering effects like Thunder Clap. We're currently working on a fix.

The way haste is effecting how we generate rage is broken. If you happen to have a good bit of haste, you would notice a big difference.

GnomeTank on
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haste doesn't give warriors more rage in the way that post is describing though. The post even singles out rogues, hunters, dks and feral druids since their resources are directly enhanced by haste. We only get more rage from haste since it speeds up our auto attacks that generate it, so I don't see how that's an issue.

I did feel a bit rage starved at certain points during the heroic I ran, but I don't think it's because of haste.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
    edited February 2011
    It is not an exact test but I reforged all of my dps gear from hit to mastery and a bit of expertise to make my dps set softcapped for hit and hard capped for exp. I havent been SMF since I was leveling him up but I never seemed to be rage starved. Now when I went TG I seemed to be starved. I had to do my rotation perfectly to make sure I was enraged all of the time and to make sure I had that rage the whole time. This shouldnt be true since they normalized the rage gen.... but I do have more sta with two 2handers than I do with 1handers so that might be the difference in the rage gen.

Jubal77 on
    edited February 2011
    What's the current thinking on Arms vs Fury for DPS. Anyone knowledgeable about this?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited February 2011
    I havent seen a worthy dps post on arms but it got nerfed a bit on the patch and I am not sure if the slam buff is enough. As a spec you have to basically watch rend and reapply it while spamming MS, CS and HS filler and Slam when its up. Last night a warrior in pvp gear and arena 2hander was doing a bit over 10kdps on boss mobs.

fury is CD oriented and very bursty, RNGy. You have two CDs to control your enrage and 1 CD to help with rage gen other than that your spamming BT and RB with Slam when its up and HS if above 75 rage. Its bursty. With Recklessness and Deathwish up I can burst to around 20k but with it off I steady at ~11kdps. I am currently using Single Minded Fury because with the rage normilization tied to sta it seems to make it easier to work with.

Jubal77 on
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They only nerfed Arms burst potential(via the Lambs to the Slaughter and Heroic Strike changes) because of pvp. Arms pve damage should have gone up with the patch.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
    edited February 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    the rage normilization tied to sta
    ?

Oh, and after last night's raid, it seems fury is back to being a high tier DPS spec. So... Kalgan is happy and all is right with WoW again.

forty on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How should fury warriors be mainhanding/offhanding? High DPS MH? Higher max damage MH?

Had a fury warrior be absolute balls in my last instance.. =\

4rch3nemy on
    edited February 2011
    forty wrote: »
    ?

Oh, and after last night's raid, it seems fury is back to being a high tier DPS spec. So... Kalgan is happy and all is right with WoW again.

Rage generated by damage taken will be based on the health of the player

So the way I see it getting hit by whatever boss aoe ability will give you less rage in TG than in SMF. As dps you will not be hit as often but it still is a source of rage.

Jubal77 on
    edited February 2011
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    How should fury warriors be mainhanding/offhanding? High DPS MH? Higher max damage MH?

From what I have seen weapons seem to be evened out across itemlevels. So the only real difference between two different 2handers from heroic would be having haste and mastery or crit and mastery or whatehaveyou.

Jubal77 on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

From what I have seen weapons seem to be evened out across itemlevels. So the only real difference between two different 2handers from heroic would be having haste and mastery or crit and mastery or whatehaveyou.

Swing speed does not take item budget thus slower weapons are generally better than faster ones. You should be mainhanding the weapon with the higher damage range which assuming the dps on the two weapons is the same will always be the slower one.

khain on
    edited February 2011
    khain wrote: »

Swing speed does not take item budget thus slower weapons are generally better than faster ones. You should be mainhanding the weapon with the higher damage range which assuming the dps on the two weapons is the same will always be the slower one.

But swing speed seems to be constant on the items ive seen. for instance I have two different 2hand maces from heroics with the same dmg and swing speed.

Jubal77 on
    edited February 2011
    There is very little swing speed variation in weapons this expansion. It's mostly 1.7/2.6/3.8. There are some 3.6's and 3.5's floating around, and I've seen some 1.4 daggers, but swing speed tends to be pretty constant for the weapons your spec will want to use. It's not nearly as important as it used to be.

GnomeTank on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    khain wrote: »

But swing speed seems to be constant on the items ive seen. for instance I have two different 2hand maces from heroics with the same dmg and swing speed.

Regardless of what you've seen and what GnomeTank claims, swing speed is not consistent across all weapons. As always 3.6 is the most common, but there's a 3.5 heroic drop, and 3.8 on a heroic drop, the tol barad weapon, Zin'rokh, and Ashkandi. There hasn't been huge variation in swing speed for a while, but as always it pops up occasionally as it currently does and the guy's question was which weapon to MH, which if ilevels are the same is going to be the slower one and if they happen to be different ilevels then the one with the higher damage range.

khain on
    edited February 2011
    Magmaw's mace is 3.6, Cho'gall's axe is 3.6, but Nef's sword is 3.8 (probably to maximize its homage-ness to the original Ashkandi).
    ?

So the way I see it getting hit by whatever boss aoe ability will give you less rage in TG than in SMF. As dps you will not be hit as often but it still is a source of rage.
    Err, what are the mechanics behind this, exactly? I guess I've never seen anything that says you get less rage per damage taken if you have more stamina.

forty on
    edited February 2011
    Magmaw's mace is 3.6, Cho'gall's axe is 3.6, but Nef's sword is 3.8 (probably to maximize its homage-ness to the original Ashkandi).
    ?

Err, what are the mechanics behind this, exactly? I guess I've never seen anything that says you get less rage per damage taken if you have more stamina.

Here you go forty:

http://www.wowhead.com/blog=151357/rage-normalization-in-cataclysm

Jubal77 on
    edited February 2011
    In practice, what it really does is make it so that as your gear gets better, you don't generate less and less rage. The actual mathematics just happens to work out that they base it on a co-efficient with your stamina that makes it seem like "more stamina = less rage", but it really doesn't in practice.

GnomeTank on
  • naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, with the new changes, is Fury now higher on the priority list when it procs? I would assume yes but I was curious if anyone has run the numbers.

naturalchaos on
  • naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm glad to see my ability to kill threads is still alive and well :^:

naturalchaos on
    edited February 2011
    I'm glad they're still looking at buffing Arms. I find Fury to be incredibly bleh.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tanked my first instance last night on my warrior since TBC. It was a WotLK dungeon. Pretty fun, tanking is very different now with all the procs and buttons. I miss the good old days of just applying sunder and heroic striking. Nows it shield slam this, shockwave that, thunderclap spam.

Also is there a reason not to ever use Demoralizing shout? I mean I guess if you have people pushing hard on the threat meters, but seriously it seems like an awesome debuff.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the only reason to not have it up all the time would be if you need those GCDs to keep threat over the dps.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
This discussion has been closed.