As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Best social DS/DSi games

e-lue-lu Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
So in anticipation of the certain-to-be-epic PAX East Pokemon tourney I've recently acquired SS and have begun training in earnest.

My question though is what other DS/DSi games should I be picking up and mastering in preparation for the con? What are the best social/competitive games out there that fellow PAXers will be playing?

e-lu on

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was all ready to come in here and plug my Pokemon league, but you've already gotten that covered. ;-)

Mario Kart and Tetris are really big for social interaction - although the latter is pretty hard to find these days. Pokemon Black/White are coming out the week before PAX East this year, so expect a lot of those.

Heleor on
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aside from Pokemon SoulSilver and White, I'll be bringing Dragon Quest IX. I'd like to be able to walk around the Expo hall with DQ in tag mode and get my Inn to fill up. I encourage others to do the same. And ther's always the option of teaming up for quests socially.

Trion on
  • creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been trying to put together a good guide listing DS/PSP games with tag mode & co-op options. I figure there's probably a lot of PAXers that have copies of DQIX, TWEWY, Nintendogs, Peace Walker, etc. with modes that they've probably forgotten about. I think reminding everyone how to get that mingle PP might be nice :wink:

creid8 on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mariokart is a must have for PAX! I played it pretty much non-stop in lines last year.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »
    Mariokart is a must have for PAX! I played it pretty much non-stop in lines last year.

Agreed. Can't go wrong with that.

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
  • e-lue-lu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Great suggestions all, thanks! I'll definitely bring MarioKart along. I don't think I have time in my life for an rpg right now, so I'm going to try to stay away from DQIX, although I understand that the multiplayer aspect is really quite good.

Any other suggestions -- including for PSP -- would be greatly appreciated.

e-lu on
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I imagine a lot of people going will have Maps for DQ:IX. Perhaps it's worth creating a thread? I only have one good map. But If other people are interested I'd try and help organize one.

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tetris is a good game to bring if you have it as it has download play. Often, I can just yell for a game in the main queue and have a full set within minutes. And for the love of Wheaton, it's Tetris.

I'm also bringing Advance Wars. I've been meaning to play with people at PAX but I've yet been able to find someone else with it.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    itzerokewl wrote: »

With Mario Kart and Pokemon you're pretty much set. Black/White comes out the Sunday before PAX

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

edited January 2011
    ChronoHawk wrote: »
    I imagine a lot of people going will have Maps for DQ:IX. Perhaps it's worth creating a thread? I only have one good map. But If other people are interested I'd try and help organize one.

I've only got one map myself right now. I need to get back to the game and prepare for PAX. Oh, and I need to get a Pokemon team ready in SoulSilver. And then there's B&W.

I'm not sure I have enough time to get ready!

Trion on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everyone said Mariokart.

However there are also games that can push a client to other DS owners, such as Geometry wars, which I bought specifically for PAX.

Never heard/played DQIX. I think I have some homework to do.
    I never ever played a Pokemon game

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Meteos, Bejeweled, Puzzle Quest, or Zoo Keeper are all quick puzzlers that you could play in line. You'd have to check them to see if they have download play.

macrogeek on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I will be bringing MK, Pearl (never got HG or SS), and DQIX for sure... will likely pick up one of B/W right beforehand as well. Geometry wars sounds like a great idea too Frugus.

zerzhul on
  • LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmmm... wonder if it'd be worth breaking out my old Game Boy Yellow, packing my cables and seeing if anyone has that Mew I've wanted for so many years.... :P

On a marginally more relevant note, I'll be bringing along DQIX for sure even though I've not progressed massively far into the endgame levelling and maps side just yet... I may have to pick up a newer Pokemon title too, if I can find time to build a decent team.

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Given the problems with chargers in the US, roughly how much of a hassle is it to bring a DS?

I'm half-considering buying one for the weekend, haha.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Landerolin wrote: »
    Hmmm... wonder if it'd be worth breaking out my old Game Boy Yellow, packing my cables and seeing if anyone has that Mew I've wanted for so many years.... :P

On a marginally more relevant note, I'll be bringing along DQIX for sure even though I've not progressed massively far into the endgame levelling and maps side just yet... I may have to pick up a newer Pokemon title too, if I can find time to build a decent team.

That's what I've been working on. I bought HeartGold at PAX East 2010 but my son took it over, so I picked up Soul Silver over the weekend and have been playing incessantly to try to bring a team up to over level 50 to play with at PAX. It's been really fun trading with my son too - I wish I had bought it sooner.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Given the problems with chargers in the US, roughly how much of a hassle is it to bring a DS?

I'm half-considering buying one for the weekend, haha.

If I not mistaken, the handheld lounge has extra chargers you can use to top up your charge if you're worried about it.

If you're still on the fence about buying a DS though, PAX is the best place to break it in. I bought mine for East last year and it was the best purchase I've made. A DS makes the wait in the inevitable clusterfuck of lines almost fun. Of course, chatting up your neighbors is probably a better way to interact with people waiting in line but the DS is a close second. (Dicktochat, anyone?) It'll be great for the weekend but I can promise you you'll be playing it well beyond PAX.

Of course, with the 3DS coming out in March, you *may* want to hold off on buying a DS until a solid date is set and you have the cash.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Landerolin wrote: »

The problem is finding someone with a legit Mew that's willing to trade it ;)

zerzhul on
    edited January 2011

Now that someone has started a Pokewalker thread for a meeting, I'd say it's worthwhile trying to set up something for DQ:IX. Personally, I don't know if I'll have any maps or anything for a trade, but multiplayer questing could be fun. And even if we're just in the same room at the same time our Inns will fill up via tag mode.

Trion on
  • aneksianeksi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tetris is a good game to bring if you have it as it has download play. Often, I can just yell for a game in the main queue and have a full set within minutes. And for the love of Wheaton, it's Tetris.

I'm also bringing Advance Wars. I've been meaning to play with people at PAX but I've yet been able to find someone else with it.

I LOVE Advance Wars! So at the very lest, you'll have me to play with! ^.^

aneksi on
  • aneksianeksi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually custom built/repaired my fist DSi because I felt sooooooo left out last year!
    I will be getting as many of these games as possible but so far I am totally sold on Mario Kart and the new Pokemon games. Someone also mentioned Dragon Quest at one point but I've had a vendetta against that series since 8.

aneksi on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mario Party is another great one.

I plan on probably having that, Super Scribblenauts, and Super Mario DS.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I currently have DQIX, Professor Layton and the Curious Village (don't think there's any MP in it) and GTA Chinatown Wars.

May have to pick up a couple more games for PAX.

lillb on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone have Pokemon Trozei? I have it and it's fun and has multiplayer, but it seems like most people haven't even heard of it. It's a 3-of-a-kind puzzle game with Pokemon.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be bringing Mario Kart (seems to be a common choice), also plan to bring Peggle and Puzzle Quest 2 both of which have multi even though I think you may have to trade the DS back and forth for Peggle.

nevermore13 on
  • WizardWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trion wrote: »

Now that someone has started a Pokewalker thread for a meeting, I'd say it's worthwhile trying to set up something for DQ:IX. Personally, I don't know if I'll have any maps or anything for a trade, but multiplayer questing could be fun. And even if we're just in the same room at the same time our Inns will fill up via tag mode.

Is there a PAX East DQ9 thread? I apparently have managed to NoScript myself out of a Search Function, so I haven't managed to find it.

If not, we should definitely make one.

I'm one of those bastards who went to PAX Prime, tagged out all of the legacies, Japanese Specials and anything else people needed...

And I'm planning on doing it again at PAX East. One of the best parts, in my opinion, is tagging maps. (Admittedly, I like the community aspect, because it's always a good reason to chat with people. And everyone loves maps with all Gem Slimes or all Metal King Slime floors.)

Probably going to bring Dragon Quest 6 as well, as there's a lesser tagging feature there.

Wizard on
  • KaydivKaydiv Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Games I'm taking with: Mario Kart, Tetris, Meteos, EBA/Ouendan, Advance Wars, World Ends with You, Rune Factory 3...

And I'll probably go through my collection again. Games with download play should be perfect... I wish that feature was implemented in more games.

Kaydiv on
    edited February 2011
    Wizard wrote: »
    Is there a PAX East DQ9 thread? I apparently have managed to NoScript myself out of a Search Function, so I haven't managed to find it.

I'm one of those bastards who went to PAX Prime, tagged out all of the legacies, Japanese Specials and anything else people needed...

And I'm planning on doing it again at PAX East. One of the best parts, in my opinion, is tagging maps. (Admittedly, I like the community aspect, because it's always a good reason to chat with people. And everyone loves maps with all Gem Slimes or all Metal King Slime floors.)

Probably going to bring Dragon Quest 6 as well, as there's a lesser tagging feature there.

There's no DQ9 thread as far as I can tell. The search feature is disabled, so that's not your fault.

It would be nice if someone organized a DQ meet. I'd do it myself but I'm ignorant on how to go about these things.

If that doesn't happen people are welcome to hit me up durring PAX for tag mode trades and questing. I'll be wearing my forum badge and if there's a portraits thread later on I'll put a picture in there too.

Trion on
  • PookieMan357PookieMan357 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ghostwire, lol.
    (sigh, the only reaosn I bought a DSi other than the fact that my wife wanted a DS of her own...)

PookieMan357 on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    I never ever played a Pokemon game

you are not alone, friend.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • nduggzznduggzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just found out my cousin has 2 D.S. lites and 1 DSi XL so i will be brining 1 maybe 2 D.S. lites and he is comming sunday anbd brining the XL i am ganna go and pick up some games OVI pokemon white on March 6th already perordered my copy and others please any ideas for PAX East??

nduggzz on
    edited February 2011

There's no DQ9 thread as far as I can tell. The search feature is disabled, so that's not your fault.

It would be nice if someone organized a DQ meet. I'd do it myself but I'm ignorant on how to go about these things.

If that doesn't happen people are welcome to hit me up durring PAX for tag mode trades and questing. I'll be wearing my forum badge and if there's a portraits thread later on I'll put a picture in there too.

My problem is that I have no twitter account, so I cannot perform the level of organization required for some of the meet up. I am also completely unfamiliar with the venue.

However, I'll take a stab at it next week if nothing's up before then, because I'm of the opinion that letting people know that one exists is mandatory for us to have even a semi-successful meet-up.

Wizard on
    edited February 2011

My problem is that I have no twitter account, so I cannot perform the level of organization required for some of the meet up. I am also completely unfamiliar with the venue.

However, I'll take a stab at it next week if nothing's up before then, because I'm of the opinion that letting people know that one exists is mandatory for us to have even a semi-successful meet-up.

I've got a twitter account and a mobile device (IPod Touch) that I've set up so I can follow things at PAX. We could use that to tweet info on a meetup. Maybe together we can get this working.

Trion on
    edited February 2011
    How does that map feature work in DQIX?
    I have the game but I haven't been able to try that out since I don't know anyone with the game.

lillb on
    edited February 2011
    lillb wrote: »
    I have the game but I haven't been able to try that out since I don't know anyone with the game.

I have no one to try this out on either, but here's how I understand it:

At the Inn (The Quester's Rest) you can enter tag mode. That means when your DS is close to someone else's DS which is also in tag mode for Dragon Quest 9, you swap character info. My character will show up in your inn and yours will show up in mine. I've heard that having more characters in your inn will unlock things.

Anyway, when you enter tag mode the game will ask if you want to bring any of your maps with you. For a map to be available when entering tag mode, you need to have defeated the boss of that map's dungeon at least once. I currently have three maps for offer and several more where I haven't defeated the boss yet. Maps are generated pretty randomly, so even if you only have one map beyond the starter map, people will probably still need it.

Trion on
  • thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be definitely bringing DQ IX - I think I only have one or two maps though.
    I'm also bringing Pokemon SS, White (I preordered it!!), DQ VI, Mario Kart, and probably more.

Does the original Puzzle Quest have a multiplayer mode? I've been seeing it for PQ2.

thorshauk on
    edited February 2011

At the Inn (The Quester's Rest) you can enter tag mode. That means when your DS is close to someone else's DS which is also in tag mode for Dragon Quest 9, you swap character info. My character will show up in your inn and yours will show up in mine. I've heard that having more characters in your inn will unlock things.

Anyway, when you enter tag mode the game will ask if you want to bring any of your maps with you. For a map to be available when entering tag mode, you need to have defeated the boss of that map's dungeon at least once. I currently have three maps for offer and several more where I haven't defeated the boss yet. Maps are generated pretty randomly, so even if you only have one map beyond the starter map, people will probably still need it.

Nice I've got 2 maps completed although I think one is the starter map and I have at least 2 more discovered that I need to complete. I may try complete more in the next month.

lillb on
    edited February 2011

That's pretty much the case. For some extra bits of information:

Have you noticed that in the Quester's Rest, the second floor is unavailable? As is the basement? The in-game reasoning is that the Inn's not very popular and thus Erinn hasn't had the funds to refurbish those areas. Regardless, if you tag more unique players, the rest of the inn will open up.

So if you tag someone, they will show up in the guest room to the left of the main entry room. (Directly left. Nothing to do with the elevator.)

However, that room has a maximum capacity of 6. If you tag 7 people, the second floor will open up as the early guests get pushed back. If you tag 13, a meeting room to the right of the second floor hallway will open up. 19, the third floor opens up. 25, the Library opens up. (Right of the third floor hallway)

And if you tag 30 different people, the basement opens up containing a fountain that will generate some alchemy items every hour.

You can check the number of unique tags you have at any given time by talking to Erinn and checking the Guestbook. (The "Tag" counter you'll see refers to how many tags you've ever had, including kicking someone and retagging them. This is necessary for some accolades, and for every 100, another item spawn will show up in the fountain to a maximum of 14 at 1000 total tags.)

There are also a bunch of maps that spread around Japan and are very notable. (I will be tagging these out.)
    They are:

Masayuki: (Ruby Path of Doom 87) - The first and most widespread map to have all Metal King Slimes on a floor. (On floor 15, the only monsters you'll encounter wandering around are Metal King Slimes. These enemies give out enormous amounts of EXP if you can kill them.) It's nicknamed Masayuki after the original founding player, Masayuki.

Kawasaki Locker: (Emerald World of Gloom 86) - A map with lots of valuable treasure chests (You can get end-game level items in this) that are all near the stairs. Ideally, you can run through the dungeon fairly quickly with minimal encounters. Nicknamed after where it was originally distributed, the lockers at Kawasaki Station.

Silver Marsh of Bane 58: All Metal King Slimes, floor 11. (Easier grotto to get fast EXP from.)

Emerald Snowhall of Hurt 81: All Gem Slimes, floor 10. (10K per kill. Need money? Grind here for an hour and you'll be set for a while.)

In addition, the NYC regulars and I have copies of every legacy boss at level 1. (Yay for all of the events.) I'll be handing those out too.

Other sides: You can only tag 3 people at once, and then you've got to leave the tag screen and either talk to your guests or leave the inn before you can tag again. Also, if you want to get multiple maps from someone, you'll have to kick them out of the inn via the guestbook before you can tag them again.

I think that covers it all. And Trion: Sure, working with you on this would be nifty.

Wizard on
    edited February 2011
    And Trion: Sure, working with you on this would be nifty.

Cool. Let me think about this for a bit. I'll start a thread when I have a chance.

Trion on
  • PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pokemon HG, Black, and White will be on me, along with DQ9. I'd be happy to see a meetup for the DQ9 people, as I have maxed out the number of maps available, a few of which include the legacy maps at level 1.

Just find a way to keep people informed and I'll hop aboard with that. ^.^

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)