As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assistant Editor's Comic Book Questions Thread

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apart from the ridiculous cheesecake, the art in ASBAR is decent enough.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just think of All Star Batman as a prequel to The Dark Knight Returns. If you like the latter book and its sequel, then you'll get a kick out of ASBAR.

Did Absolute Planetary volume two come out yet?

Yep, and it's the cat's pajamas.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't even like ASBAR for it's terribleness

I

I just can't

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Solar

Wildcat on
    edited January 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Solar

Wildcat

Solar on
    edited January 2011
    ASBAR is the very pinnacle of modern storytelling, the pinnacle I tell you.

Wildcat on
    edited January 2011
    No

RoA is better in those stakes.

Though I grant you the Wonder Woman is ASBAR is highly amusing

Solar on
    edited January 2011
    Listen, I am open to storytelling but when it involves kitten molesting that is where I draw the line

Wildcat on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So when exactly is Children's Crusade taking place? It's hard to follow it when it's coming out bimonthly, and not lining up with anything being printed at the same time.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It never actually happens. It's all a fever dream in Kate's mind as she lays drugged in the Negative Zone Prison, forgotten because she has no powers.

She clings to the notion that someday, someone will rescue 'Hawkeye', not knowing that she's already been replaced.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited January 2011
    I dislike children's crusade because of all the Young Avengers Wiccan irritates me most and this book is all about him. Eff off man.

Eli and Kate need to lay the beat down and make it clear who this team really needs.

Solar on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Children's Crusade has to happen after the X-Men Second Coming event though, because of the prequel story Heinberg wrote in Uncanny #526 where Magneto finds out he has grandchildren. That's pretty much the only definitive thing that pegs down Children's Crusade for the time being.

TexiKen on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has there ever been a book that deals with sort of the side-effects of superheroes? People re-using superheroes' equipment in different ways would be an example. I know Ultimate Arcade sort of salvaged different stuff from superheroes. I think he had a web-grenade or something based on some Spider-man webs he found. And Taskmaster used to use knock-offs of various heroes' equipment when fighting in their style. Frank robbing the Avengers' closet was awesome, for example.

I heard about Damage Control, which is a salvage/demolitions company in the Marvel U, but I don't think there are trades of that.

I'm not looking for "what about the civilians?!" Millar Civil War bullshit trash, but rather different approaches or perspectives. I think.

DouglasDanger on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There actually is a Damage Control tpb for the most recent miniseries, taking place after World War Hulk.

http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Hulk-Control-Incredible/dp/0785123881/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296417914&sr=1-11

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited January 2011
    Cool, thanks.

DouglasDanger on
  • Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And I may be mistaken, but I thought the original Damage Control series would be collected in the Acts of Vengeance Omnibus coming out.

Peeps Chicken on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Two questions:

1) is the Harley Quinn mini worth a look if I like Batgirl/Red Robin? The Dodson art is what's drawing em to it.

2) After 52, what would be the correct reading order for Space DC? Lack of Cosmic Marvel has made me want to check out space DC. I read the Adam Strange and Rann/Thanagar war, but after 52 and the cosmic Odyssey tuned it out with the exception of GLC.

TexiKen on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) is the Harley Quinn mini worth a look if I like Batgirl/Red Robin? The Dodson art is what's drawing em to it.

2) After 52, what would be the correct reading order for Space DC? Lack of Cosmic Marvel has made me want to check out space DC. I read the Adam Strange and Rann/Thanagar war, but after 52 and the cosmic Odyssey tuned it out with the exception of GLC.

The order (I Think) is:

Mystery In Space, Rann/Thanager Holy War, and then Strange Adventures and R.E.B.E.L.S. run concurrently.

MastaP on
    edited February 2011
    what is up with The Goon? Is it still coming out? Is Powell working on anything else?

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2011
    Powell is working on the upcoming Godzilla series from IDW.

Goon basically doesn't have a schedule, it comes out when it comes out.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2011
    That is cool.

DouglasDanger on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Powell said he has some special Goon stuff planned for when the movie comes out. He may just be banking it until then.

Hensler on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm re-reading Doctor 13, and it got me thinking: how many meta-comics are there? That is to say, comics about comics. And, to narrow it down further, I'm not referring to things like Comic Book Comics or Understanding Comics, which are a comic book about the history of comic books, and a comic book about the formal structure of comic books, respectively. I'm talking about comics where the narrative takes place on multiple levels, where at least one of those levels is a comic (or, I guess, just fiction in general), and at least one level is "reality"; or, alternatively, comic books where the narrative is generally on a single level, but is self-aware of the fact that it's in a fictional universe (like Doctor 13).

Here are the ones I can think of:
    - Doctor 13
    - Flex Mentallo
    - Animal Man
    - The Filth (had a few episodes that had elements of this, as I recall)
    - Superman Beyond (not directly meta-fictional, but I'm pretty sure the 4-D world that Superman ascends to is pretty much a stand-in for our world, and has basically the same kind of relationship to the DC Universe that our world does)

Delduwath on
    edited February 2011
    Hensler wrote: »
    Powell said he has some special Goon stuff planned for when the movie comes out. He may just be banking it until then.

I thought the Goon movie was out of money. I thought the trailer was all they had.

DouglasDanger on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm re-reading Doctor 13, and it got me thinking: how many meta-comics are there? That is to say, comics about comics. And, to narrow it down further, I'm not referring to things like Comic Book Comics or Understanding Comics, which are a comic book about the history of comic books, and a comic book about the formal structure of comic books, respectively. I'm talking about comics where the narrative takes place on multiple levels, where at least one of those levels is a comic (or, I guess, just fiction in general), and at least one level is "reality"; or, alternatively, comic books where the narrative is generally on a single level, but is self-aware of the fact that it's in a fictional universe (like Doctor 13).

Here are the ones I can think of:
    - Doctor 13
    - Flex Mentallo
    - Animal Man
    - The Filth (had a few episodes that had elements of this, as I recall)
    - Superman Beyond (not directly meta-fictional, but I'm pretty sure the 4-D world that Superman ascends to is pretty much a stand-in for our world, and has basically the same kind of relationship to the DC Universe that our world does)

Meta comics was a running gag during Byrne's SHE-HULK run.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How did Byrne's She-Hulk run do meta comics? (Never read it.)

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what sort of story I'm looking for. I suppose what it comes down to is this: stories that say something interesting about the relationship between fiction and those who create/consume fiction. Which is cheating, since I'm just deferring the heavy-lifting from the word "meta-fiction" to the word "interesting".

Like, OK, let's look at some examples. Animal Man and Doctor 13 both talk about how the non-fictional actor has power over the fictional actor; specifically,
    In Animal Man, Morrison directs the course of Buddy's life. He can kill his entire family and make him a grim avenger - because we the readers find that entertaining - and he can bring them back to life, as though nothing ever happened - because he can, because fiction is the only place where we can exercise godlike power.

In Doctor 13, the Architects decide the fate of C-level characters every time they re-organize the fictional reality. The fact that they can re-organize the fictional reality on such a total scale is another kind of interaction. The Architects, of course, are DC's writers/editors/whatever.

If I understood things correctly (and I might not have, since I read it once, and years ago), Flex Mentallo talks about the reverse: fictional actors have power over non-fictional actors - although, what's interesting is that here, one level of actors is fictional and the other non-fictional with respect to each other, but they are both fictional with respect to us.
    Flex saves the non-fictional Wally by saving his fictional incarnation (as I recall it! I may be wrong!)

Either the Filth or Flex Mentallo - I honestly can't remember - at one point mentions non-fictional actors becoming fictional actors.
    Non-fictional heroes of a doomed world survive the destruction of their home by becoming the fictional heroes of another world.

Another comic I just remembered, Ambush Bug: Year None takes non-fictional events that affect the fictional reality and narrative, and incorporates them into the fictional reality and narrative.

So, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. A character briefly breaking the fourth wall and saying "We're in a comic book, y'all", they way Deadpool occasionally does, isn't the kind of meta-fiction I'm looking for right now.

Delduwath on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    She was a super-human lawyer, and issues of comic books would be submitted as evidence.

Langly on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can anyone direct me to a resource that explains the whole ages of magic DC has going on?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can anyone direct me to a resource that explains the whole ages of magic DC has going on?

I don't think there is a single resource, but the Homo Magi listing on the DC Wikia or regular Wikipedia would probably be the best place to start.

Hensler on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DC remembered they have magic, eh?

Crimsondude on
    edited February 2011
    For ages the only big DC magic heroes were Zatanna and Constantine, really.

The first is awesome but I think she scares writers a little because she is basically a reality warper.

The second I hate pretty much entirely.

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    You hate Constantine? May I ask what stories you have read? I mean, the man can be a huge asshole but he is a very compelling and tragic character.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2011
    I watched his film last night - it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe.

Wildcat on
    edited February 2011
    I read one where he is in jail? And the jail breaks down and obviously Constantine walks right out of there.

Honestly it isn't that he is an asshole it's his "blimey guvnor" Britishness which I don't like. Because, eh, I just don't. When you read works like The Authority you get similar characters and I don't like them much either, though Constantine definately is an asshole and I don't usually like asshole characters like that.

I liked the film version a lot actually.

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    The movie isn't a bad movie, its a decent supernatural action movie. And Peter Stromare as the devil was fantastic.It was just a bad adaptation, MovieConstantine isn't anything like ComicsConstantine.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    I read one where he is in jail? And the jail breaks down and obviously Constantine walks right out of there.

Honestly it isn't that he is an asshole it's his "blimey guvnor" Britishness which I don't like, more than him being an asshole, though I have to admit I don't like asshole characters most of the time.
    Well the cor blimey guv'ner thug varies writer to writer, but he is always pretty British. The asshole thing never ends but its understandable considering any that ever gets remotely close to him personally is brutally killed.

If you ever feel like giving him another shot, All His Engines by Mike Carey(I think) is my personal favorite and the Hellblazer story most people recommend.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2011
    i think maybe hate is a strong word

i read one book and I was like "eh, don't really feel the desire to read another."

Solar on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    did you read his appearance in Sandman?

Antimatter on
    edited February 2011
    It's been a long while since i read Sandman

Can't really remember what he was like in that

Solar on
    edited February 2011