As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Aluminum Foil Hat Thread: Conspiracy Theories

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not exactly a conspiracy theory per-say, but my favorite crazies atm are the EM radiation people. No, Wifi is not giving you headaches/respiratory problems/anal cancer.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    The Illuminati control everything.Crazy people are fun :)

I actually work with 2 people who think the Stone Mason's control not only this town, but the AFB as well.

Sadly, I work with a guy who has a ring and claims to be a Stone Mason. Which led me to ask why he was a GS-07 mail room clerk. His response, controlling the mail ensures they control the base.
    I think you mean the Free Masons. The Stone Cutters were a parody from one of the best Simpsons episodes ever.

The Free Masons were a powerful social club back in the day. The fact that their membership tended to include prominent people meant they were able to help their membership out socially, politically and financially. That's not really a conspiracy, though, any more than belonging to a college fraternity.

They're mostly a shadow of their former selves now. The Free Masons have done a poor job of getting younger people to join them, for a number of reasons.

It's tough to call something a conspiracy if its membership is not a secret and everyone knows where they meet and what they do.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I had a girl I work with tell me that she couldn't buy Kraft brand canadian bacon pizza from the store. Because Kraft puts nanobots in the cheese that control your mind. First I laughed. Then I stopped because I realized it wasn't a joke. Then I told her merely, "That is the craziest thing I have ever heard".

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    The best part about birthers is that even if Obama was born in Kenya, the fact that his mother is an American citizen makes him a natural born citizen, no matter where in the world he was born.

Since 'natural-born citizen' isn't really defined as a legal term, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but the theory accepted by non-crazy legal scholars is that one must be born on US soil (embassies and international military bases count).
    Being born on embassy grounds or a military base doesn't automatically make you a NBC or even a citizen. Children of American diplomats abroad are rarely born in either of those two places. They are, however, NBC's because they were citizens at birth due to one or both parents' status as an American citizen. A number of Iraqi women gave birth in American military hospitals in Iraq, but their kids are not citizens of the US.

It's my understanding that a NBC is someone who is a citizen at birth. Mitt Romney's dad ran for President back in the day, and he was born in Mexico (to two American citizens). No one batted an eye at that.

The birthers want to move the goalposts to create a definition of NBC that will exclude only Obama. The "saner" ones agree that he was born in Hawaii, but that he's not a NBC because (a) his dad wasn't a US citizen and/or (b) he had the right to claim Kenyan and maybe UK citizenship.
    Ah, okay. B doesn't even make sense because even if he had citizenship of another country, the US recognizes dual citizenship (or more accurately, doesn't care what other country you're a citizen of as long as you're a US citizen) until age 18, at which point you're required to choose one. And that itself passes over the difference between being entitled to claim something and actually doing it.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I actually work with 2 people who think the Stone Mason's control not only this town, but the AFB as well.

Sadly, I work with a guy who has a ring and claims to be a Stone Mason. Which led me to ask why he was a GS-07 mail room clerk. His response, controlling the mail ensures they control the base.
    I think you mean the Free Masons. The Stone Cutters were a parody from one of the best Simpsons episodes ever.

The Free Masons were a powerful social club back in the day. The fact that their membership tended to include prominent people meant they were able to help their membership out socially, politically and financially. That's not really a conspiracy, though, any more than belonging to a college fraternity.

They're mostly a shadow of their former selves now. The Free Masons have done a poor job of getting younger people to join them, for a number of reasons.

It's tough to call something a conspiracy if its membership is not a secret and everyone knows where they meet and what they do.

As a person who knows a few young people in the masons, It is easy for me to say that the whole controlling the world thing is bullshit. This club is basically just old men who have pancake breakfasts to donate money to charity, and to have a place to get away from their wives.

Most people don't know that the Shriners are an offshoot of the Masons, and no one worries about them driving around their little cars in their fez hats.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I usually like how the truthers often claim that the reason for blowing up the towers was gold.
    http://www.911myths.com/loose_change_2nd_ed._a_critical_review_of_the_gold_story_segment.pdf

Couscous on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yep, meant free masons. And them being real is fine and dandy. Claiming they control the town and the base is aluminum-hat time.

Hell, I might leave the argument about the town alone, but throwing in the AFB crosses the crazy line.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If we're talking more reasonable, within the realms of logic ones, rather then the standard nutters everyone points too.

I always found the David Kelly conspiracy fairly compelling.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The best part about birthers is that even if Obama was born in Kenya, the fact that his mother is an American citizen makes him a natural born citizen, no matter where in the world he was born.

Since 'natural-born citizen' isn't really defined as a legal term, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but the theory accepted by non-crazy legal scholars is that one must be born on US soil (embassies and international military bases count).
    Being born on embassy grounds or a military base doesn't automatically make you a NBC or even a citizen. Children of American diplomats abroad are rarely born in either of those two places. They are, however, NBC's because they were citizens at birth due to one or both parents' status as an American citizen. A number of Iraqi women gave birth in American military hospitals in Iraq, but their kids are not citizens of the US.

It's my understanding that a NBC is someone who is a citizen at birth. Mitt Romney's dad ran for President back in the day, and he was born in Mexico (to two American citizens). No one batted an eye at that.

The birthers want to move the goalposts to create a definition of NBC that will exclude only Obama. The "saner" ones agree that he was born in Hawaii, but that he's not a NBC because (a) his dad wasn't a US citizen and/or (b) he had the right to claim Kenyan and maybe UK citizenship.
    Ah, okay. B doesn't even make sense because even if he had citizenship of another country, the US recognizes dual citizenship (or more accurately, doesn't care what other country you're a citizen of as long as you're a US citizen) until age 18, at which point you're required to choose one. And that itself passes over the difference between being entitled to claim something and actually doing it.
    And the other problem with B is that it puts American citizenship questions in the hands of foreign countries. If dual citizenship is a bar to being President, then Iran or North Korea could disqualify every American by giving them citizenship.

Whether or not Kenya, the UK or Krypton consider Barrack Obama to be a citizen is wholly irrelevant to the question of whether he is a NBC.

(Also- I don't think you're required to choose between your US and other citizenships. That would create a problem for a number of dual citizens because their status as a US citizen would be subject to the vagaries of foreign law. Some countries make it difficult or impossible to renounce your citizenship. When I naturalized, I was not required to give up my existing citizenships)

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »
    So I had a girl I work with tell me that she couldn't buy Kraft brand canadian bacon pizza from the store. Because Kraft puts nanobots in the cheese that control your mind. First I laughed. Then I stopped because I realized it wasn't a joke. Then I told her merely, "That is the craziest thing I have ever heard".

That's what the nanobots want you to think!

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

The US doesn't pursue people that retain or acquire dual citizenship after they're adults.

adytum on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Kraft cheese is terrible. The nanobots make sense now, it's the only thing that explains how such a shitty "cheese" is carried by so many stores.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm actually enjoy reading about weird pseudo-history and conspiracy theories.

The David Icke "lizard people" folks are amusing, especially since 99% of that is just taking "a cabal of Jews secretly controls the world" and cut-and-pasting "Jews" with "Lizard People".

I also have a fondness for "the Nazis created a secret underground base in the Arctic and fled there after the fall of Berlin and built UFOs" theory.

On another note, will anyone here admit that they think certain (unproven) conspiracy theories are either plausible or probable? I'll start with one that's probably reinforced by me reading too many recent James Ellroy novels:

The Mob was totally involved with the JFK assassination...

Probably.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I had a girl I work with tell me that she couldn't buy Kraft brand canadian bacon pizza from the store. Because Kraft puts nanobots in the cheese that control your mind.
    Because Kraft puts nanobots in the cheese that control your mind.
    Nanobots in the cheese that control your mind.
    Nanobots. In the cheese. That control your mind.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Although naturalizing citizens are required to undertake an oath renouncing previous allegiances, the oath has never been enforced to require the actual termination of original citizenship.
    Huh. I guess my naturalization/citizenship info is out of date.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pellaeon wrote: »

That's what the nanobots want you to think!

Yeah, but I am BUY KRAFT CHEESE immune to that.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

As a person who knows a few young people in the masons, It is easy for me to say that the whole controlling the world thing is bullshit. This club is basically just old men who have pancake breakfasts to donate money to charity, and to have a place to get away from their wives.

Most people don't know that the Shriners are an offshoot of the Masons, and no one worries about them driving around their little cars in their fez hats.

The thing about the Free Masons is that they used to be both a lot more powerful and a lot more secretive than they are now. A couple of hundred years ago membership was supposed to be secret (although still was often common knowledge especially in the US), and the Masons did have a fairly significant role during the enlightenment as anti-monarchist and anti-church liberals. By the 1800s all this had pretty much died out and the organization had become a social club and philanthropic organization.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    On another note, will anyone here admit that they think certain (unproven) conspiracy theories are either plausible or probable? I'll start with one that's probably reinforced by me reading too many recent James Ellroy novels:

The Mob was totally involved with the JFK assassination...

Probably.
    If any conspiracy is plausible and even possible, it would be the JFK assassination. A small cabal of people with a beef against JFK could have worked together to kill him and kept that fact hidden. There would have been very little outside evidence, especially if a cabal within the cabal eliminated their less-trustworthy compatriots.

The problem with most of these conspiracies is that they require way too many people to be involved for the conspiracy to remain secret. How many hundreds, if not thousands, of people would need to keep their mouths shut to keep a 9/11 or Moon landing conspiracy secret?

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It also assumes the people in charge are competent. Look at MKULTRA. The CIA's actions were a bunch of retarded bullshit from the beginning.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    Not exactly a conspiracy theory per-say, but my favorite crazies atm are the EM radiation people. No, Wifi is not giving you headaches/respiratory problems/anal cancer.

But I was using wifi for twelve hours yesterday, and suddenly my poop was a funny color. How do you explain that, huh, smart guy?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    It also assumes the people in charge are competent. Look at MKULTRA. The CIA's actions were a bunch of retarded bullshit from the beginning.

Bingo. Any conspiracy theory requiring more than a small handful of people keeping quiet can be dismissed on these grounds alone. People suck at keeping secrets. Whenever they try, it all comes crashing horribly (or hilariously) down around them.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the most disturbing things our government does tend to happen outside of our country.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_PBSUCCESS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ajax
    Overthrowing legitimate democracies because they interfere with Western corporate interests is a more terrifying practice than any chemtrail or skyscraper destruction.
    Kaputa wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Look up stuff about MK Ultra and the Monarch Slaves.
    MKUltra always makes me shake my head in despair. That is not how LSD is supposed to be used, guys. In fact, government use of LSD for the purpose of mind control is pretty much the polar opposite of how the substance should be approached.

Which is probably why the project was an idiotic failure, but still, what the hell, CIA? My favorite quote of the wiki article is
    The Agency itself acknowledged that these tests made little scientific sense.

No shit.

The idea that LSD has a way it is "supposed" to be used is silly.

It is just a chemical. It has no inherent intent or purpose.
    ...I disagree. It's a chemical we made (for a specific purpose), and even if that weren't true, it's much better at doing certain things than others, and I think government mind control is one of the things it'd be less good at.

I mean, anti-depressants are just chemicals as well, but I doubt you'd disagree that swallowing a bottle of them is equivalent to taking them as prescribed in terms of their intended purpose.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Bingo. Any conspiracy theory requiring more than a small handful of people keeping quiet can be dismissed on these grounds alone. People suck at keeping secrets. Whenever they try, it all comes crashing horribly (or hilariously) down around them.
    The best way to keep a conspiracy secret is to kill all of your co-conspirators when you achieve your ends. But that's only really possible if you start with a very small group. But, a very small group of conspirators can't really pull off anything more than a murder or bank robbery.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »

But I was using wifi for twelve hours yesterday, and suddenly my poop was a funny color. How do you explain that, huh, smart guy?
    Apparently I downed a lot less cheap Mexican beer than you did, because I _clearly_ remember all-you-can- eat-taco-night at Ramon's Discount Burrito Shack.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ...I disagree. It's a chemical we made (for a specific purpose), and even if that weren't true, it's much better at doing certain things than others, and I think government mind control is one of the things it'd be less good at.

I mean, anti-depressants are just chemicals as well, but I doubt you'd disagree that swallowing a bottle of them is equivalent to taking them as prescribed in terms of their intended purpose.

I don't think LSD was made for any particular purpose by the scientists that made it. Even so it was hardly understood at the time, so the idea that maybe the military could use it for mind control isn't that crazy.

Simply because something was made for one purpose doesn't mean it can't be applied to other things. One could say a car was made to move people. That doesn't make car racing illegitimate or stupid.

LSD alters mental states. Thinking maybe they could use it for mind control isn't stupid either.

Drugs are just tools, like cars.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    one of my favorites is number stations

they're shortwave radio stations of indeterminate origin that broadcast meaningless strings of numbers. They've been around on and off since the 50s. There's been speculation that the were spies sending coded messages to home bases but it seems like a horribly inefficient way of doing things.

More likely they're long term practical jokes made by really bored people

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

they're shortwave radio stations of indeterminate origin that broadcast meaningless strings of numbers. They've been around on and off since the 50s. There's been speculation that the were spies sending coded messages to home bases but it seems like a horribly inefficient way of doing things.

BLOPS taught me different.

MASON! WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN!

JebusUD on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the most disturbing things our government does tend to happen outside of our country.
    Overthrowing legitimate democracies because they interfere with Western corporate interests is a more terrifying practice than any chemtrail or skyscraper destruction.
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Look up stuff about MK Ultra and the Monarch Slaves.
    MKUltra always makes me shake my head in despair. That is not how LSD is supposed to be used, guys. In fact, government use of LSD for the purpose of mind control is pretty much the polar opposite of how the substance should be approached.

Which is probably why the project was an idiotic failure, but still, what the hell, CIA? My favorite quote of the wiki article is
    The Agency itself acknowledged that these tests made little scientific sense.

No shit.

The idea that LSD has a way it is "supposed" to be used is silly.

It is just a chemical. It has no inherent intent or purpose.

I was going to bring this up to partially agree with you. Many phenethylamines were made to fit that bill, but your example is something more found and reproduced.

But the CIA wasn't supposed to use it the same way you're not supposed to huff paint to calm your breathing rate down.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    An amusing series of books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_Trilogy

Good sex scenes, too.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Since you mention PBSUCCESS and the UFC theory, I feel the need to mention that corporate interests were not the only thing at play in that case, and there is some debate about whether or not the CIA's backing of the coup was effective or successful- ie., it might have happened without their involvement. This was an era where the CIA opted not to do post-mortems on ops they considered successful, which has thankfully changed since. Either way, what is fucking chilling about the ordeal is that the US would later back the Guatemalan government as it committed mass murder.

Reagan was a senile, politically, economically and ideologically illiterate crook with the blood of hundreds of thousands on his hands. He was not great, he wasn't even good; he was incompetent at best. Yet I still hear him called "one of the greatest Presidents." I study politics, so I don't need conspiracy theories to depress me.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

You really think long term practical jokes is a more reasonable explanation? I've heard of these stations several times and it always seemed pretty reasonable. Secret, but not a conspiracy. Just a method of encrypting communications for whomever. Good enough way of doing it, less so now with the internet though.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The thing about the Free Masons is that they used to be both a lot more powerful and a lot more secretive than they are now. A couple of hundred years ago membership was supposed to be secret (although still was often common knowledge especially in the US), and the Masons did have a fairly significant role during the enlightenment as anti-monarchist and anti-church liberals. By the 1800s all this had pretty much died out and the organization had become a social club and philanthropic organization.

In the 1830's there was a national political party that ran on a platform of ending Masonic control of the US. It was called, oddly enough, the Anti-Masonic Party. They didn't do so well, failing in their major goal of keeping Jackson (a high-ranking Mason) from beating John Q. Adams, but in the long run, they seem to have achieved their goals. Perhaps they never really disbanded in 1833 and went underground, establishing a secret society dedicated to fighting the Free Masons?

dojango on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    If we're talking more reasonable, within the realms of logic ones, rather then the standard nutters everyone points too.

I always found the David Kelly conspiracy fairly compelling.

I think that investigation is being re-opened. Its mighty fishy for sure.

A good example of one as well where you don't need thousands of people involved. Only a couple people need to be in the know to shut up the guy who was rocking the boat too much. Didn't that lead directly to discrediting the BBC when someone questioned the official story? I forget now, but that had stink written all over it.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited February 2011

I think the USS Liberty incident has a pretty good case for plausibly true conspiracy. Not as good as lizard people though, sadly.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm actually enjoy reading about weird pseudo-history and conspiracy theories.

The David Icke "lizard people" folks are amusing, especially since 99% of that is just taking "a cabal of Jews secretly controls the world" and cut-and-pasting "Jews" with "Lizard People".
    Watch the documentary on Icke I posted on page 2, it examines whether he means lizards or jews when he's talking about these secret groups.

From what I can tell in Ronsons experience with Icke, Icke actually believes in Lizard people. I mean, he once thought wearing turquoise gave him positive energy and he's heard voices telling him about the end of the world. He also proclaimed himself the son of god on a televised interview. I think he's just mentally ill or something.

Though, unfortunately there are followers of his who view his beliefs through an anti semitic lens.

Lucid on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I had a girl I work with tell me that she couldn't buy Kraft brand canadian bacon pizza from the store. Because Kraft puts nanobots in the cheese that control your mind.
    Because Kraft puts nanobots in the cheese that control your mind.
    Nanobots. In the cheese. That control your mind.

Ok. So. I read this original post and found it amusing but moved on. But breaking it down like this for some reason made me laugh my ass off. Im still giggling. I might get in trouble at work. I cant help it. For some reason when you take away all the details of the story and just flat out state the concept, its the funniest thing ever.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I think the USS Liberty incident has a pretty good case for plausibly true conspiracy. Not as good as lizard people though, sadly.

This is one I don't want to believe, because the official version of events is fucked up enough. That said, I think it really falls down on motive. They posit that Israel didn't want the US eavesdropping on something they were doing near Gaza; but this would imply that whatever they were, allegedly, trying to hide was some how worse than sinking a friendly US warship.

Thus, until some tapes are released to the contrary, I file this under: "A horrible thing happened, and no one wants to think those people died because someone made a whoopsie." I think a lot of people probably find elaborate theories more comforting than accidents; see also:Truthers.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, fog of war, etc. For example, how many civilian airliners have been shot down by mistake? I can think of three offhand (2 by the soviets, one by us), in an era before information overload, it was too easy to jump to the wrong conclusion based on inaccurate or incomplete information.

Now, the Gulf of Tonkin incident, that is a conspiracy theory that ended up being true.

dojango on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wasn't there a cover up surrounding Pat Tillman's death? I mean, that was a fairly mundane thing in comparison to fake landing on the moon or the 9/11 attacks, and even that couldn't be hushed up for longer than a couple of weeks.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited February 2011
    Could be! Still plausible, though. Merely plausible is much better than most conspiracy theories get.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
This discussion has been closed.