As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Last ... PAX East? We weren't around then. O.o

Anyways, I'll post the completely super-secret new leader tomorrow!

Heleor on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I kind of really want to make a team of all Dunsparce. Or Shuckle.

No love for Psyduck? Psy-i-yai.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

No love for Psyduck? Psy-i-yai.

It's because of the show that I hate psyduck so much.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited February 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

*Psyduck video*

It's because of the show that I hate psyduck so much.

It's because of the show that I love pysduck so much. Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think we're all missing the true unsung hero of that video clip:

The Eevee brothers' pants. Good gravy! An affront to sensible fashion. O_o

You should dress up as a dunsparce. You could just lye on the floor, twitch your wings every once in a while, and sort of wiggle around when people poke you.

Spr_3e_206.gif

Best costume.
    Hm... I was curious about this last year but didn't join in. Maybe this year I will.

You should you should you should! We have badges! So many badges!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited February 2011
    I sort of like those pants! They're riding way too high up, but there's nothing wrong with wearing primary colors!

Heleor on
    edited February 2011
    heleor.png

A new leader steps up to the challenge. In fact, this time it's me! (And yes, I will actually be wearing this!)

Heleor on
    edited February 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    A new leader steps up to the challenge. In fact, this time it's me! (And yes, I will actually be wearing this!)

..... YES.

RainbowTunnel on
  • SupahSupah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys, whats up!
    I'm going to my first pax east this March and noticed these shiny forums =o.
    Anyway I wondered if its possible for me to even beat the gym leaders with pokemon leveled 50-80 ish, I restarted pokemon a while back and never got up to hundreds -.-

When it comes to pokemon I was always more of a collector than a competitive player... but the idea of getting badges irl sounds wicked cool haha

Supah on
    edited February 2011
    Pokemon automatically get leveled to 50 or 100.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited February 2011
    There's a flat battle mode which all leaders will be using - it lowers all Pokemon that are greater than level 50 to level 50.

Heleor on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    There's a flat battle mode which all leaders will be using - it lowers all Pokemon that are greater than level 50 to level 50.

To be clear I believe that the flat battle mode does not affect the level of Pokemon that are below level 50. Is that a correct statement?

zerzhul on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »

To be clear I believe that the flat battle mode does not affect the level of Pokemon that are below level 50. Is that a correct statement?

You are correct.

Rdr on
  • PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was on the fence about going to PAX this year, though I was going to be in Boston anyway for a Bioshock related afterparty being hosted nearby. After stumbling upon this thread...well, I'm going to PAX for the first time ever this year :D

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)
  • Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A question. Since Pokemon Black/White will be out a week before PAX East, will the game of choice be one of those or D/P/PT/SS/HG?

Lugh Lamfhada on
    Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
    edited February 2011
    A question. Since Pokemon Black/White will be out a week before PAX East, will the game of choice be one of those or D/P/PT/SS/HG?

If you're talking about for the actual gym leaders and the league matches, it's only for HG and SS, though I do expect randomized other individuals to have the other games on them as well.

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited February 2011

We actually have a section explaining this in our rules, but leaders can only be challenged using a copy of SS/HG. D/P/Pt do not have the flat battle option, and B/W are going to be way too new - leaders won't have enough time to build a team, especially since you can't bring in your old Pokemon until you beat the Story mode.

Heleor on
  • FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the clarification! Just started my HG game (and the pokewalker, heh) two days ago. Already have two of my Pokemon lined up and ready to go :)

I have another question: Will we be able to switch pokemon in the party around before we face each gym leader? I don't really want to bring Arcanine to a pool party.

FoggyKnight on
    edited February 2011
    Nothing's stopping you. It's more of a challenge if you don't, though, and training good Pokemon up is hard enough as it is. :)

Heleor on
    edited February 2011
    Point.

Going to have to take a forced break though, forgot to bring the stylus back home with me. Have to wait until tomorrow or so to get back out and get it.

Two weeks until I can have a DS of my own *sigh*. It just started shipping from California this afternoon.

FoggyKnight on
    edited February 2011
    Point.

Going to have to take a forced break though, forgot to bring the stylus back home with me. Have to wait until tomorrow or so to get back out and get it.

Two weeks until I can have a DS of my own *sigh*. It just started shipping from California this afternoon.

Hang in there! We're here for you! You'll pull through! It'll come in time, just a little longer!

I'm your cheering section, hope you don't mind (:

Also, side-note:
    Shuckle are so friggen hard to train when starting to EV-train at lvl 1. Just sayin'.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited February 2011

Also, side-note:
    Shuckle are so friggen hard to train when starting to EV-train at lvl 1. Just sayin'.

Rare candies are your best friend (or the pokewalker) in such a situation. Either feed it a few, or shove it in there, walk around for a bit, and you'll be between level 10 and 20 in no time.

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited February 2011

Also, side-note:

Rare candies are your best friend (or the pokewalker) in such a situation. Either feed it a few, or shove it in there, walk around for a bit, and you'll be between level 10 and 20 in no time.

I would love to, but here's the thing.... I'm EV training. Otherwise I'd just use an EXPshare (which I no longer have/lost)

RainbowTunnel on
    edited February 2011
    EV's aren't affected by Rare Candies from what I've read. And I don't know whether or not they're affected by the pokewalker, but I'd be willing to bet that they weren't.

Furthermore, according to my understanding of how the EV system interacts with the EXP share, you could be training using something else and the shuckle would still get 1 EV from the battle. It's nowhere near as quick as the Macho Brace + Pokerus combo, but it'd make the first few steps easier.

Of course, my source might be entirely wrong xD but that's what I learned about it.

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited February 2011
    EV's aren't affected by Rare Candies from what I've read. And I don't know whether or not they're affected by the pokewalker, but I'd be willing to bet that they weren't.

Furthermore, according to my understanding of how the EV system interacts with the EXP share, you could be training using something else and the shuckle would still get 1 EV from the battle. It's nowhere near as quick as the Macho Brace + Pokerus combo, but it'd make the first few steps easier.

Of course, my source might be entirely wrong xD but that's what I learned about it.

No, you're probably right. I'm still not 100% on top of all the EV stuff.

Well I have the pokerus. So.... I might. Just. DO IT.
    Thank you <3

OH YEAH, anyone who wants the pokerus - I'll give it to you. I stock up on pikachu from the pokewalker and give them all the pokerus, and into the PC Box they go. So if anyone's interested I'll be glad to trade one to you and share my surplus. Just get a spare pidgey or something.

RainbowTunnel on
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i havent played pokemon in forever (since HG and SS came out) and so i had no idea what pokerus was, but now that i do i'd be happy to trade you for some.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
    edited February 2011
    i havent played pokemon in forever (since HG and SS came out) and so i had no idea what pokerus was, but now that i do i'd be happy to trade you for some.

If it weren't for the pokerus, I'd honestly be driven insane by EV training; the Macho Brace + Pokerus combo makes things legitimately go 4x faster.

Doesn't matter though. I'm currently preparing my second team, so I've got three pokemon I need to EV train now...and that's only the tip of the iceburg. Hopefully by PAX I'll have three fully trained useable teams. :D

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited February 2011
    I really don't think I will EV train for this. I might just get 10 of one pokemon and see which one has the best stats by just looking at the stats screen. It will take me long enough to pick a team, let alone train them. Heh.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've spent about enough time agonizing about my team. I've gotten over the pretty-much-all-of-them-are-weak-to-one-of-the-same-two-types issue, so all that's left is to trade five of them into SoulSilver and maybe find another TM for one of my starters. (It's a lot easier to train in Diamond, and for whatever reason I have a lot of 50+ Battle Tower-vet Pokemon in that game.)

I haven't bothered EV training or anything. Most of my Pokemon did contract Pokerus at some random level, though.

Regiment on
    I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, side-note:

I believe a trip to your local Day Care Center will solve all your problems.

Morganstern on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually randomly contracted Pokerus in HG before I even knew what EVs were! :O I was quite shocked! Usually I don't have that sort of luck.

I think one of my Pokemon got it from tackling a wild Nidorino. Probably stuck itself on one of the spines....

Don't do drugs, kids.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited February 2011
    Propriety wrote: »
    I actually randomly contracted Pokerus in HG before I even knew what EVs were! :O I was quite shocked! Usually I don't have that sort of luck.

I think one of my Pokemon got it from tackling a wild Nidorino. Probably stuck itself on one of the spines....

Don't do drugs, kids.

That makes so much sense.

I got it from a good friend who naturally derived it from his game, too.

Also, we had a speaker come into our school today and talk about how weed is SOOOO much worse than niccotine. It was srs bsns.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited February 2011
    Well, I'm getting by with using a pencil eraser in place of a stylus (don't tell my sister!), and after three days of playing, I am at Ho-oh's tower to catch him. LOOOOVE the fact that I caught Lapras at Safari, took no time at all to train her up to my other's lvl.

I haven't even begun to think of all the work I need to do for the pokemon I need to get Challenge ready. Eep. I just figured out how to connect my sister's DS to the internet for wi-fi stuff.

Three questions:
    What is Pokerus? What is this Pokerus + macho brace combo you speak of?

Anyone know of an EV list on who to fight for what stat?

FoggyKnight on
    edited February 2011
    Macho brace and Pokerus are explained at http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EV - there's also a list of all Pokemon by EV yield there too.

Heleor on
    edited February 2011
    Also, we had a speaker come into our school today and talk about how weed is SOOOO much worse than niccotine. It was srs bsns.

In Pokemon, drugs make you stronger and immune to all further diseases. ;)

Heleor on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone know of an EV list on who to fight for what stat?

This one is very handy: http://www.psypokes.com/lab/evtraining.php

cocowoushi on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha. I definitely plan on getting a moderate team to 50 and calling it a day.

PeasantDave on
    edited February 2011

That would be my plan as well.

RainbowTunnel on
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, not EV training for this. Do you think Ash Ketchum cared about stats? No. He cared about heart.

My team of Magikarp is going to rule because we have heart. Heart and Splash.

DanUNG on
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

That would be my plan as well.

same.

and...
    DanUNG wrote: »
    Yeah, not EV training for this. Do you think Ash Ketchum cared about stats? No. He cared about heart.

My team of Magikarp is going to rule because we have heart. Heart and Splash.

thank you for making me laugh so suddenly and exuberantly that my co-workers now think i'm crazy.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png