As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space 2: How Many Licks Does It Take to Get to the Center of a Necromorph?

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i did in the demo, it was real neat. but my DS1 experience left me feeling that focusing on one or two weapons at a time is the best way to go about things, and plasma cutter/line gun was a super winning combination... theres always more new game+ to muck around with other weapons you know.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    im on chapter 5 or 6 of my first run on DS2. really fun so far. ive been maxing the plasma cutter, because it worked real well in DS1. hopefully it carries me though this one too. after i max that im going to start on the line gun and i guess some suit upgrades.

You should really try the javelin gun at some point.

Agreed, but go ahead and stick with the Cutter for now. Such a versatile sexy beast that gun is. 2nd best gun behind the Contact Beam.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    That part with the quarantine before you pick up the thermite. I acted like a bad ass and took them all down, but shit myself the entire time I was doing it.

Just entered diagnostics now...

Dude apparently went catatonic and killed himself by repeatedly smashing his head against a wall.

This game rules.

Tempted to shoot you a friends request just so I can stalk your progress.

I'm weird like that.

Same, keep getting good memories from DS1 (or is that bad memories?) reading Butty's updates :)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not averse to any friend requests!

I just got through the barrier with the thermite. Zero G was pretty cool.

I'm starting to see what people mean about being a Necromorph killing machine. I'm far for confident that I can easily kill whatever I see, but it doesn't stop me jumping out of my skin like a girlyman whenever one gets the drop on me.

Although, I just got killed by tiny creepy crawly things that jumped all over me. That was a shock.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bench respec also makes tooling around with different ways enormously easier. For a New Game +, find a spot with a bench and store relatively close to each other (there's one pretty early in the game), then respec and swap out weapons to your heart's content. I'm wondering about this as a strategy for Hardcore. For something like
    the tripod rush on the solar array elevator, I found out on Zealot that the amped-up mine launcher wreaks horrific havoc on the tripods. Treat it like a grenade launcher, then just aim for center of mass and you can one-shot every single tripod with zero trouble. The mines explode on contact so no mucking about with stasis or missing weak points; one mine per tripod is all you need.
    Even if you don't use it tactically, it's a great way to mess around with all of the weapons in a fairly short time and find out their full potential.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Jamesways wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm about to start new game+ round 7. I figure by round 8 I'll be ready to attempt zealot. Still need to upgrade forcegun and det mines.

I attempted Hardcore for shits and gigs... not entirely sure this is going to be doable. Fucking leapers man...

Oh you're way ready. I did Zealot on new game+ round 3 and it was easy.

But I'm scared

i did zealot round one

admittedly

it was incredibly difficult

one of the most difficult things I've ever done actually

Rent on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pssh, people who didn't play round 1 zealot then go straight to hardcore.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pssh, people who didn't play round 1 zealot then go straight to hardcore.

I played first on Survivalist then went to Hardcore, finding the combat difficulty comparable :wink:

Seanron on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    RIG Stats

Other than bragging rights, it seems that the suits obtained from both Zealot and Hardcore run throughs are a step back from the Elite Advanced RIG =S

How unfortunate. They're generally quite nice re-skins though.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    Here is my thoughts on the Markers.
    What we KNOW of the Black Marker is that it was made by an alien race in order to help them achieve better technology, especially in the areas of mending/reviving dead or harmed flesh. However the Marker, apparently being sentient, grew to dislike serving what it considered 'inferior beings' and used some innate ability to drive them crazy/kill each other. Before it was successful in totally destroying them, it was jettisoned off the alien planet and (many years later?) landed on planet Earth.

I would not be surprised if the space flight and crash landing somehow injured it, thus making it so its influence could only be used at a much shorter distance and perhaps on those who were already easy manipulated. DS: Martyr basically shows that individuals could resist it, though it wasn't easy.

Now the question here is why does it want to make more of itself? It obviously 'allowed' information about its design to be beamed into people's heads. One could argue it's doing what most species do and merely trying to procreate. The fact that it seemed to grow angry at its original 'masters' seems to show that it more 'human' in mind than coldly logical like a robot. Hell, maybe it was bored.

Anyhow, they create what is assumingly the first man-made Marker or the 'Red Marker'. 'Born' from different materials and 'raised' in a manner different to what the Black Marker had been AND given the fact that Markers appear to be sentient implies that it is not necessary for Markers to 'think alike'. It is entirely possible that the Red Marker was created without the ability to easily control the infection built into its DNA, but even then it would attempt to get people to help stop it.

Noting this, it would be feasible that the Marker did cause people to kill others, but not out of maliciousness - rather, as a way to slowdown or stop the process of removing it from its amplifier. Note when Isaac does actually return it to its amplifier, it immediately kills off any necromorphs that may still be after Isaac. It would not make sense that this was an involuntary side affect of being 'made whole' if such a thing was made to harm Isaac. Hell, if it really wanted to kill him it could've put him in a fugue state while a random necromorph ate his face.

Finally the 3rd Marker (seen so far, anyhow) sounds similar to the Black Marker in its desires. I think the fact that the Red Marker created a Hive Mind (despite wanting to seal it, once created) implies that is an ability innate in Markers and the Red Marker could just not control it. The Yellow Marker seems to desire control and power and is also apparently really good at mind games. That being said, I think the Yellow Marker had little or no control over the minds of the necromorphs as if it did it probably wouldn't have let them kill Isaac or, at least, not until he had succeeded in letting them close to it.

Anyhow, this is all very general speculation but my main point is I think there are similar abilities in all the Markers but each one has varying levels of controls over these abilities AND the personalities of the Markers can vary pretty wildly from one to another.

not sure what your source is for the first paragraph or so.

Now that you mention it, I don't either. I swear I read it somewhere, but I can't recall or find it again.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DS1 - Alright, I got to the start of chapter 3 and I am done for the evening. I actually feel a little exhausted.

That part where you find the captain in the morge...

Whatever he turned into, fuck that thing and fuck the thing that made him.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm about to start new game+ round 7. I figure by round 8 I'll be ready to attempt zealot. Still need to upgrade forcegun and det mines.

I attempted Hardcore for shits and gigs... not entirely sure this is going to be doable. Fucking leapers man...

But I'm scared

i did zealot round one

admittedly

I did this too and my fuck was it hard

T4CT on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    First Playthrough
    Engineering- 5% armor, 10 slot inventory, no special bonuses, available at first store
    Security- 10%,15, +5% pulse rifle damage, schematic in Chapter 4
    Vintage- 15%, 20, 10% discount at stores, schematic in Chapter 8
    Advanced- 20%, 25, 50% stasis recharge time, schematic in Chapter 11

New Game+
    Riot Security- 25%, 25, +10% contact beam damage, available at first store
    Elite Engineering- 25%, 25, +15% medpack heal, schematic in Chapter 1
    Elite Vintage- 25%, 25, 15% discount at stores, schematic in Chapter 6
    Elite Security- 25%, 25, 15% javelin gun damage, schematic in Chapter 9
    Elite Advanced- 25%, 25, +10% all weapons damage +15% stasis duration, schematic in Chapter 11
    Arctic Security- 25%, 25, +10% flamethrower damage, available at first store after beating Zealot
    Soldier- 25%, 25, +10% seeker damage, available at first store after beating Hardcore

Special
    Zealot- 15%, 15, +5% force gun damage, available at first store with collectors edition
    Hacker- 15%, 15, -1 hacking stage, schematic in Chapter 2 with Dead Space: Ignition save

DLC
    EarthGov Security Suit (increases damage 5% for detonator, Seeker Rifle, Pulse Rifle)
    Bloody Vintage Suit (increases damage 5% for Flamethrower, Javelin Gun, Force Gun)
    Forged Engineering Suit (15% medpack bonus)
    Heavy-Duty Vintage Suit (increases damage 5% for Line Gun, Detonator, Contact Beam0
    Hazard Suit (5% increase to Stasis duration)
    Triage Suit (10% medpack bonus)
    Shockpoint Suit (decreases Stasis recharge 5%)

this needs to go in the OP

Judging by this list the Elite Advanced is the best. I would have thought the rewards for beating Zealot and Hardcore would have better stats. I really miss the Soldier suit from DS1 it was by far my favorite.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DS1 - Alright, I got to the start of chapter 3 and I am done for the evening. I actually feel a little exhausted.

Now you know why everyone, everywhere stomps on every corpse they find.
    It gets a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »

P.S.
    He's lying. It doesn't get better... for you!
    :winky:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Say hello to the rest of the game :wink:

Seanron on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    T4CT wrote: »

But I'm scared

i did zealot round one

admittedly

I did this too and my fuck was it hard

yeah, i like how it was appropriately scary at all points because you're always so low life and so close to running out of ammo

i disliked how everything in the game, everything, could at least two shot you. it basically meant you had to play at 100% at all times

i mean i think the only time something didn't kill you in two hits was when you had the advanced suit and were fighting normal swarmers. then they three shot you

basically on zealot you have to rely on the upgrade capacity trick as a way to refill ammo. like, you have to do it

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wait, those things turn up again?!
    I assumed so, I was just in denial for a little while there...

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

And again and again and again and again...

Have fun on Chapter 5.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

And again and again and again and again...

Have fun on Chapter 5.

oooooh look. he might have twins! or triplets!

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Here is my thoughts on the Markers.
    What we KNOW of the Black Marker is that it was made by an alien race in order to help them achieve better technology, especially in the areas of mending/reviving dead or harmed flesh. However the Marker, apparently being sentient, grew to dislike serving what it considered 'inferior beings' and used some innate ability to drive them crazy/kill each other. Before it was successful in totally destroying them, it was jettisoned off the alien planet and (many years later?) landed on planet Earth.

I would not be surprised if the space flight and crash landing somehow injured it, thus making it so its influence could only be used at a much shorter distance and perhaps on those who were already easy manipulated. DS: Martyr basically shows that individuals could resist it, though it wasn't easy.

Now the question here is why does it want to make more of itself? It obviously 'allowed' information about its design to be beamed into people's heads. One could argue it's doing what most species do and merely trying to procreate. The fact that it seemed to grow angry at its original 'masters' seems to show that it more 'human' in mind than coldly logical like a robot. Hell, maybe it was bored.

Anyhow, they create what is assumingly the first man-made Marker or the 'Red Marker'. 'Born' from different materials and 'raised' in a manner different to what the Black Marker had been AND given the fact that Markers appear to be sentient implies that it is not necessary for Markers to 'think alike'. It is entirely possible that the Red Marker was created without the ability to easily control the infection built into its DNA, but even then it would attempt to get people to help stop it.

Noting this, it would be feasible that the Marker did cause people to kill others, but not out of maliciousness - rather, as a way to slowdown or stop the process of removing it from its amplifier. Note when Isaac does actually return it to its amplifier, it immediately kills off any necromorphs that may still be after Isaac. It would not make sense that this was an involuntary side affect of being 'made whole' if such a thing was made to harm Isaac. Hell, if it really wanted to kill him it could've put him in a fugue state while a random necromorph ate his face.

Finally the 3rd Marker (seen so far, anyhow) sounds similar to the Black Marker in its desires. I think the fact that the Red Marker created a Hive Mind (despite wanting to seal it, once created) implies that is an ability innate in Markers and the Red Marker could just not control it. The Yellow Marker seems to desire control and power and is also apparently really good at mind games. That being said, I think the Yellow Marker had little or no control over the minds of the necromorphs as if it did it probably wouldn't have let them kill Isaac or, at least, not until he had succeeded in letting them close to it.

Anyhow, this is all very general speculation but my main point is I think there are similar abilities in all the Markers but each one has varying levels of controls over these abilities AND the personalities of the Markers can vary pretty wildly from one to another.

not sure what your source is for the first paragraph or so.

Now that you mention it, I don't either. I swear I read it somewhere, but I can't recall or find it again.

You... can't remember where you read it?

Do me a favor - check your desk; is there a miniature sculpture of something that looks like a DNA double helix, only tapered and pointed at the very top? Do you have no recollection of acquiring this object, and is it possible that it was made by loose odds and ends in your room?

If so

get out while you still can
    MAKE US WHOLE.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    basically on zealot you have to rely on the upgrade capacity trick as a way to refill ammo. like, you have to do it

You have to use that at the beginning, maybe through the Unitology church, but after that if you're running low on ammo it's because you're bad at aiming. ;-)

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    everytime you shop instead of buying one more node, spend it on ammo instead.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    w00 h00 got chapter 8 and saved (only 1 left aaah) on my hardcore run, the end is in sight, i feel good about it.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do the bonuses from each suit carry over like inventory slots and armor percentage? For example, does the 5% Pulse Rifle Damage from the Security Suit still stay if I equip the Vintage Suit?

DubiousAtBest on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Only the slots and armor carry over IIRC.

adytum on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i haven't done a from-scratch zealot run yet, but given that the ammo/money drops on hardcore are the exact same on zealot, i don't think i'll have trouble with it.

as far as i know, the only real difference between hardcore and zealot is in one you get hit twice and have to restart from a save, and in the other you get hit once and have to restart from a checkpoint. :P

really, hardcore makes everything else feel easier.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Invest in a pulse rifle for the reanimators.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ammo/money drops on hardcore are the exact same on zealot, i don't think i'll have trouble with it.
    They aren't. You get way more ammunition on hardcore than on zealot.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    ammo/money drops on hardcore are the exact same on zealot, i don't think i'll have trouble with it.

I thought hardcore was Survivalist Enemies/Zealot Drops?

Rend on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The amounts dropped are I can attest to that. 3 plasma/1javelin/etc...

What happens is that monsters take less to kill. So you end up having more, not getting more.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure there are more spawns. For example, in the bit where you MacGuyver the surgical device, you find like 6-8 Cutter ammo bits on HC; I don't recall finding half as many on Zealot.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »

well so far on zealot, the drops have been the exact same as on hardcore and in the same places. PC drops in 3, line gun/javelin drop in 1, etc.

hell, the addition of saves and checkpoints alone means i'll be saving more ammo. i can melee what i want when i want without risking entire chapters of progress.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

.... waa bahjur hummanah, hummanah, jjurrrrrwaaaahhhh nip nap nap nap boooozzzzzoing

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wulf wrote: »

P.S.
    Does this really prevent enemies?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »

P.S.
    Does this really prevent enemies?

yep. and then it makes the infectors go right for you.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah a certain amount of limb loss (2? 3?) on a dead human body will prevent infection. It's a great thing to do in a replay.

Magus` on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Saw the gag coming, but still pretty funny and well-done

Green on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh hey another hot girl who talks about video games on youtube and, what a surprise, has tons of subscribers

Hank_Scorpio on