As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Space 2: How Many Licks Does It Take to Get to the Center of a Necromorph?

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All of us gamers are hypnotized by cute asian girls.

They are Markers.

Markers with bewbies.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Asian girls can pull it off. Because I'm pretty sure they actually do play games.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Asian girls can pull it off. Because I'm pretty sure they actually do play games.

And are good at Math?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh hey another hot girl who talks about video games on youtube and, what a surprise, has tons of subscribers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwRlBkXeLg4&feature=related

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can I be honest with you guys?

I watched like half of the asian girl's video.

But this guy's video, I watched the whole thing.

"I can't show you the code, cause then you know, I won't be able to play online, and I really look forward to playing online...with....people......who are my friends."

anoffday on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh hey another hot girl who talks about video games on youtube and, what a surprise, has tons of subscribers

That was the best video.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man I have been able to handle everything this game throws at me. I've gotten temporarily stuck on some parts but a change in strategy has gotten me by. But fuck this. This is just driving me nuts.

Chapter 15
    The hallucination bit. I keep dying. I'm using my pulse rifle to blast away the tiny ones but they keep getting around me. Any better methods?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MarioG wrote: »
    Man I have been able to handle everything this game throws at me. I've gotten temporarily stuck on some parts but a change in strategy has gotten me by. But fuck this. This is just driving me nuts.

Chapter 15
    The hallucination bit. I keep dying. I'm using my pulse rifle to blast away the tiny ones but they keep getting around me. Any better methods?
    Kite them around until they're all in a line then use the ripper, pulse rifle, or javelin gun to kill them all at the same time.

Rend on
    edited February 2011

Chapter 15
    Ignore them. They disappear every time you hit the boss. I think you need to do it like 3 times? It was pretty easy compared to the DS1 boss. Actually really easy.

anoffday on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Chapter 15
    if you're aiming at anything but nicole and the marker, you're doing it wrong.

seriously, just throw everything you have at nicole, and once she disappears and the marker nodules spawn, the mobs around not only disappear, but give up their loot. not that you'll need it. just keep shooting nicole/marker/nicole/marker until done.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My way works too :(

Rend on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rend wrote: »

your way is slower. :P

but on hardcore i literally stood in one place with the javelin gun for the entire battle and didn't take any damage

was awesome

also starting my detonator-only run

this should be interesting.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hit the final boss with the alt fire of the Flame Thrower. Instant death. Shoot at obvious weak point, do massive damage, scoop up ammo dropped from shadows, lather, rinse, repeat.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    edited February 2011
    Rend wrote: »
    Yeah, it does. I was just so frustrated at this point that I just wanted to see the end.

anoffday on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh, why could they not put a Save and Quit option in for Hardcore?

I'm minding my own business, slaughtering necromorphs in chapter 8 (about halfway to where I want to save) when the sound on the game completely freaks out. Fiddling with my cables didn't work so that left me two options

1) Reboot my PS3 and lose my progress
    2) Suck it up and play 2 chapters without sound

I think I'm done with hardcore for now

gjaustin on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Goddamnit. I keep losing. Tomorrow.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It makes the game kinda hilarious, especially when you half-remember where everything spawns. Just takes the wind completely out of the sails of all those monster closets and ambushes.

Graaaaw- PTOW!

Frosty the Snow Plow on
    edited February 2011

It makes the game kinda hilarious, especially when you half-remember where everything spawns. Just takes the wind completely out of the sails of all those monster closets and ambushes.

Graaaaw- PTOW!

on chapter 3, and you're absolutely right. this is very, VERY fun. :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I know this probably makes me petty, but against cute-girl-gamer channels, there's no hope for us bog-standard beardy dude channels :(

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Detonator is also an absolute beast of a grenade launcher. Of course, you'll need to be reeeally careful about not letting necros too close before you fire. I guess you could use the mines like actual mines, but where's the fun in that?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I love this guy.

"This guy with blades, he's looking like... he looks like a weird like thing from The Fly, like, uh, Jeff Daniels or something"

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Detonator is also an absolute beast of a grenade launcher. Of course, you'll need to be reeeally careful about not letting necros too close before you fire. I guess you could use the mines like actual mines, but where's the fun in that?

I found it kind of fun against stalkers.
    I just backed up against a wall, then put one mine on the wall ahead so it went across the path.
    Stalker charges, dies, I set another mine, repeat.

I'm wondering about grabbing the Detonator for my Hardcore run, purely for the elevator tripod sequence. (I usually use the force gun for it, but if memory serves, I don't get the schematic until afterwards)
    How much would the gun and 20 ammo cost me? Alternatively, how hard is it to dodge and survive the sequence, as I'll be spending more ammo killing them than they'll give me back? I'll have just hit the disc-switch checkpoint, so I'm good with a tought sequence I have to retry a few times.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am so psyched to go home and play more DS1, and I am most definately going to get DS2 as soon I've finished round 2 on the harder difficulty.

I am actually glad that I don't play Horror games often, because the atmosphere is something I am so unfamiliar with in games. And the scares add a layer of tension to it that I am also completely unfamiliar with. So it's giving me an experience that feels completely new to me and I love it.

When I first got to the morgue, with the lights flickering, half illuminating eviscerated corpses laying on hospital beds, catching quick glimpses of blood spattered walls, with indistinct whispering in the backround I could barely hear...

So glad I picked this up.

[/end pointless gushing]

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited February 2011
    I am so psyched to go home and play more DS1, and I am most definately going to get DS2 as soon I've finished round 2 on the harder difficulty.

I am actually glad that I don't play Horror games often, because the atmosphere is something I am so unfamiliar with in games. And the scares add a layer of tension to it that I am also completely unfamiliar with. So it's giving me an experience that feels completely new to me and I love it.

When I first got to the morgue, with the lights flickering, half illuminating eviscerated corpses laying on hospital beds, catching quick glimpses of blood spattered walls, with indistinct whispering in the backround I could barely hear...

[/end pointless gushing]

Added you dude, so looking forward to seeing your progress ^-^

Seanron on
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    klemming wrote: »

I found it kind of fun against stalkers.
    I just backed up against a wall, then put one mine on the wall ahead so it went across the path.
    Stalker charges, dies, I set another mine, repeat.

I'm wondering about grabbing the Detonator for my Hardcore run, purely for the elevator tripod sequence. (I usually use the force gun for it, but if memory serves, I don't get the schematic until afterwards)
    How much would the gun and 20 ammo cost me? Alternatively, how hard is it to dodge and survive the sequence, as I'll be spending more ammo killing them than they'll give me back? I'll have just hit the disc-switch checkpoint, so I'm good with a tought sequence I have to retry a few times.

I don't know if this is obvious, (Elevator)
    but I never had trouble with the elevator because I rotated the camera without aiming since it moves much faster. Once a tripod is in the center of the screen, LT+RT, release LT, continue spinning.

Szechuan on
    edited February 2011
    i do have to ask - is that detonator-one-shot-tripod deal with the base-damage detonator or do you need several damage/special upgrades?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i do have to ask - is that detonator-one-shot-tripod deal with the base-damage detonator or do you need several damage/special upgrades?

i think it's like 2 upgrades, not the whole way.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

[/end pointless gushing]

Sent a friends request last night, DustAndEchoes77. I think I'm in a similar boat, in that I don't play many horror games (although it sounds like a couple more than you have), and so personally, I don't need the "no ammo, no health, insta-death" situations that everyone else seems to want to make a game scary. Atmosphere is enough to do it for me, and Dead Space has that in spades.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2011
    Honestly, I haven't played very many horror games either. DS 1 and 2 and Condemned is about it.

[/end pointless gushing]
    You're making me want to play through DS1 again.

anoffday on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, Condemned 1 and 2 are utterly brutal, in more ways than one. I love those games, but can only play in short bursts.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2011
    Y'see, I'd like to consider myself a horror-game conosier, as I've always had a deep and lasting love of Survival Horror and Horror games.
    My first experiences were Alone In The Dark and Resident Evil on the PSone, I was 12 at the time I think, and man did they scare the living bejeesus out of me. Silent Hill came next in the natural progression, and I think I found it more disturbing than scary, but srtill loved it.

Resident Evil 2, whilst my favourite of the series, scared me on a purely adreniline-based level, as did Nemesis. Both awesome games, but lacking the full atmosphere of the original.

Fast-forward and I'd played the Forbidden Siren games, the Fatal Frame games and the Dino Crisis games, the wonderful System Shock's - so I'd sampled everything from atmosphere to sheer relentless violence-horror.

My true love of Survival-horror cemented itself with Silent Hill 2, which still ranks as one of my favourite games of all-time. It just reeked of atmosphere and paranoia, and I'm still astounded when I play it of the sheer awesomness of it.

My career with horror gaming continued with Silent Hill's sequels (SH3 and The Room) which I adored also for their atmosphere. Resident Evil 4 also raised it's head and I feel that while it was the best gameplay-wise for the Resi series, it 100% cemented Resi as adrenaline-horror rather than atmosphere. I also love the criminally-underated adaptation of The Thing on the PS2 and the largely-ignored but still brilliant Cold Fear. Condemned and Manhunt were also a wonderful change of pace for the genre, being very much human-horror as opposed to body or supernatural horror.

Survival-Horror sort of stagnated for me with the 7th generation of consoles, with tons of awesome games adopting tropes from the genre (Bioshock, FEAR, the Brood Mother section of Dragon Age) but there were no big-hitters for me. Resident Evil 5 had completed the series evolution into an action title completely (brilliant but not horror), Siren Blood Curse in my opinion was interesting but a bit dire, Cold Mountain was a nice try but not quite there and let's not even talk about the abortions that Silent Hill has become since it left Team Silent.

However, my loss of faith halted with Dead Space - it was equal parts atmosphere, adreniline, body-horror, and sheer relentless challenge that made it probably one of my favourite Horror-Games ever. The fact that Dead Space 2 outstrips it in every regard (
    the sneaky trip back to the Ishimura cementing it's atmopshere
    ) means that I absolutley ADORE Dead Space 2 :) and you should too!

TL:DR - Horror Games are good, I <3 Dead Space :D

Seanron on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bacon, I'll be shooting you a friend request so I too can be a creepy voyeur. You're playing on Xbox, right? I sacrificed achievements for a one-disc experience. Free Extraction didn't hurt, though I don't have a Move.

I think I'm in Chapter 11 or so in my Survivalist ng+ run right now. Currently sporting a fully upgraded Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, Ripper, and (soon) Line Gun. Looking forward to Zealot, then I suppose I'll brave up and try out Hardcore.

Ceno on
    edited February 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    Man, Condemned 1 and 2 are utterly brutal, in more ways than one. I love those games, but can only play in short bursts.
    Yeah, Condemned scared the crap out of me.

I still have nightmares about that school. D:

anoffday on
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Yeah, Condemned scared the crap out of me.

I still have nightmares about that school. D:

Oh good lord, the teacher in the locker. Scariest moment I've ever had playing a game. Hands down.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DS1 - Just refuelled the ship and restarted the centrifuge.

The part where you see the reanimator turning that corpse through the window of the part you came in through to get there - earlier on my way past I blew the head off of that corpse in the chair thinking that would be enough to stop it getting reanimated. I was quite chuffed with myself when I did it. But then when I saw the fucker get up again as a terrifying black stabby thing anyway ... with no head.

D: x 100.

Do bodies have to be completely limbless in order to not reanimate?

Also, the big tentacle that drags you down the corridor? I had to take break once I'd killed it. I weed myself.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited February 2011

The part where you see the reanimator turning that corpse through the window of the part you came in through to get there - earlier on my way past I blew the head off of that corpse in the chair thinking that would be enough to stop it getting reanimated. I was quite chuffed with myself when I did it. But then when I saw the fucker get up again as a terrifying black stabby thing anyway ... with no head.

Also, the big tentacle that drags you down the corridor? I had to take break once I'd killed it. I weed myself.

experiencing DS1 vicariously through your posts is the best thing.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

You have to take off 2 or 3 limbs -- I forget which -- to make the corpses unnecromorphable. Even if it's three limbs, as long as you can sever a leg or two, though, you don't have too much to worry about (crawling slashers are still dangerous, of course, but they're slow and easy to finish off). Once you get the hang of it, you can often position Isaac so as to take off both legs with one good stomp.

Hedgethorn on
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure it's two arms and a leg to guarantee it can't come back. If it has two legs and a head it could still get up and bite you.

Szechuan on
    edited February 2011

experiencing DS1 vicariously through your posts is the best thing.

*wipes tear* "I have become ze proud papa!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa6uPR__taT0WOXLv9Arb5v0ltQnr8JzkLw2DRelQI4d6ZxXfS

Szechuan on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    His posts really are the best!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png