As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] PvP: Season Nine SUCKS.

1575859606163»

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So another note, what are people's thoughts on the new SotA?

I've only been in two so far (one lost, one won) and it at least feels a bit better. There's more PvP, as there are more people running around. On the other hand this also encourages the defenders to zerg randomly while the Demos roll through. I like that the cannons do meaningful damage now.

There's still problems with the timer, though. The start of the clock, the spawn of the Demos and the arrival of the boats all don't really line up with each other.

Grobian on
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, came up against a 3's team yesterday running fury/fury/frost mage. I was like, sweet, a retarded comp, must be a points team, yay for a free win. They blew up our 3k resil DK in 3 seconds, and my 3.3k resil warlock in about the same amount of time. Match lasted a whole of 20 seconds.

What the hell is going on

bejeavis on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Fury warriors can hit a bunch of cooldowns once every 3 mins (I'm unaware of what they have to press exactly), that lets them put out some rather silly burst at which point they don't really do much else.

If you type in 85 Fury warrior burst there are some videos.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm gonna call that "Cooldown Cleave"

Walt on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Walt wrote: »
    I'm gonna call that "Cooldown Cleave"

I was trying to think of a name that sounded like one of those margarita blenders. :P

Nobody on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I think Fury warriors can hit a bunch of cooldowns once every 3 mins (I'm unaware of what they have to press exactly), that lets them put out some rather silly burst at which point they don't really do much else.

If you type in 85 Fury warrior burst there are some videos.

Get ~75 Rage. Pop Deathwish and Recklessness and Inner Rage. Intercept-> Colossal Smash -> Raging Blow + Heroic Strike -> Bloodthirst -> (Slam if procced) + Heroic Strike.

Whenever fighting a warrior, listen for colossal smash. That is their setup for big damage. Disarm, peel, use defensive cooldown, whatever you need. You survive the col smash and your in good standing. Start kiting said warrior. Win.

Buddies on
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gearing in pvp is fine, mostly. The honor returns are probably half what they should be. The development of pvp is something you have to consider when talking about the tiers of pvp gear. When honor first popped up back in vanilla, it was great. We had a way to gear and advance our characters without endlessly running dungeons or raids. But the weapons were rank 14 which meant you still needed to raid for gear. Then BWL came and raid gear once again was better than pvp gear.

In the most basic sense. That is why things are the way they are. Wow wants raiding and pvp to stay separate gearwise. If there we not new tiers of pvp gear, then raid equipped goons would walk all over people in pvp gear. Basically if you want totally skill based pvp, you need another game.

In all practicality, where the gear discrepancy actually matters, it doesn't exist. The arena rating system will keep you pretty in line with opponents you have a shot at beating. The crafted pvp stuff and a group of 5 organized friends can turn an AV battle. And gear isn't everything. Sure there is a barrier to entry for real pvp, but there is the same for any aspect of wow.

And if you are looking for some reason to pvp beyond the pvp itself, then the reward system will never be enough.

Also, if you are looking for flat out even geared pvp, level something to 70. The gear doesn't change, its so cheap everyone has it. There are some op classes, but that's nothing new.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Basically, mastery increases damage gains from enrages, so Fury warriors are kinda like two-minute mages of vanilla.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Grobian wrote: »
    I also like queuing for random BGs and tanking 4 people for a minute, because my gear is just better than theirs (and also they suck). I don't see anything terribly wrong with that.
    That's because you're not one of the four.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, guffaw @ people who compare gearing up in PvP to gearing up in PvE. There aren't other players sitting at a keyboard playing those raid bosses.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's kinda like being forced to do the raid on heroic mode when you just came out of normal dungeons. But you get 15 Valor when you wipe.

Will you eventually gear up? Yes.

Is it fun? No, not at all.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    forty wrote: »
    I also like queuing for random BGs and tanking 4 people for a minute, because my gear is just better than theirs (and also they suck). I don't see anything terribly wrong with that.

Well in that specific case they could have just CCd me to death or went somewhere else. it's not like I would accomplish anything as a single Resto Shaman at the Mage Tower in EotS. It's the typical zerg mentality of wanting to kill everything you see. I was happy about it, because those 4 people were missing somewhere else on the map.

Also did our Arena games today. I'm still playing Resto Shaman (me) + Feral Druid and both our specs got nerfed. It was very hard for my partner to adjust to his severely reduced mobility. Especially druid healers are almost unkillable for him, with Entangling Roots + Hibernate + Cyclone. And because Purge was nerfed, our pressure on them suffered.

New Tremor totem is great against Shadow priests and Warriors and kinda meh against Warlocks. But overall, I think it's a good change. The buffed GHW and mastery makes for some big heals with NS and UE.

Grobian on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Druid healers in 2's are nearly unkillable for just about everyone. Tree form lasts WAY too fucking long, and plenty of arenas allow the Druid tons of LoS clusterfuck opportunities. Hump hump hump the pillar, run away in travel form, never actually have a second of cast time. Really compelling stuff.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At least they can't instant ER anymore.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They nerfed the duration of Tree form by 25%. Any lower and we might start questioning whether or not we should even take it. Our mana regen was also severely nerfed, and I oom out much quicker than before.

If the druid runs away, just swap. Druids have always been incredibly vulnerable to swapping. If you are constantly swapping targets, lifebloom will never really reach full potential and you bait out the druid for CC or just swap right back to him.

EDIT: Roots is still instant during tree. It also has no cooldown now!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pffft during tree. As if anyone was going to kill a druid in the middle of treeform anyway. Cooldown is mega long for tree itself, I'm fine with it.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thread has reached tear capacity.

Please cry with me in the new one: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=18309963#post18309963

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I was calling my partner to swap (and it was already our modus operandi vs resto druids), but I think he just didn't bring his A-game yesterday. I can feel for him, I did my Arena games on my own cat a day before and it takes some getting used to the new situation. This showed with us, too, because we lost the first 4 games and then won 5 in a row.

I think the funniest game was vs. Ele Shaman and something (must have been stealthed/invisible). Because I saw the shaman and told my partner "tunnel the shaman. don't even look what the other guy is or does, just go all out on the shaman" And he did and the guy went down in record time. It's ridiculous that two Shaman specs still don't have a defensive cooldown.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    They nerfed the duration of Tree form by 25%. Any lower and we might start questioning whether or not we should even take it. Our mana regen was also severely nerfed, and I oom out much quicker than before.

If the druid runs away, just swap. Druids have always been incredibly vulnerable to swapping. If you are constantly swapping targets, lifebloom will never really reach full potential and you bait out the druid for CC or just swap right back to him.

EDIT: Roots is still instant during tree. It also has no cooldown now!

Yes, swapping targets all the time gives resto druids a really hard time. It's probably the reason they got so much stick in the previous expansion, because they counter tunneling, which the majority of people do in a BG.

Of course in 2's, you're rather limited with regards to how many targets you can swap to, and if you do kill the r.druid's partner, then you can't really swap targets anymore, but then that's more a problem due to the fact 2's arena is crap and horrible in it's ability to produce bullshit that can wind you up.

I saw 2 warriors trying to kill a resto druid in AB yesterday, and I kid you not, when the druid was at 5% with very little mana, one of those warriors stopped to shoot his gun (no, he wasn't rooted).

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think the funniest game was vs. Ele Shaman and something (must have been stealthed/invisible). Because I saw the shaman and told my partner "tunnel the shaman. don't even look what the other guy is or does, just go all out on the shaman" And he did and the guy went down in record time. It's ridiculous that two Shaman specs still don't have a defensive cooldown.
    Uh ele has a glyph for Elemental Mastery that gives it a 20% damage reduction while active and also get a 16k personal absorb shield on a 20 second cooldown. Unfortunately they're still worthless in PvP.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    forty wrote: »

Well in that specific case they could have just CCd me to death or went somewhere else. it's not like I would accomplish anything as a single Resto Shaman at the Mage Tower in EotS. It's the typical zerg mentality of wanting to kill everything you see. I was happy about it, because those 4 people were missing somewhere else on the map.
    No doubt those players weren't very good, but if you don't see the problem in one character being significantly more/less of a threat based on how long that character has spent in arenas/rated BGs, regardless of the player's skill level, then I don't think there's even a discussion here.

forty on