As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Petition for a Tabletop Gaming Subforum.

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Okay, so this is a pretty great argument.

But I still highly, highly doubt it'd actually work.

Not that it's actually up to me.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Can't know until we give it a try, eh? If it doesn't work, we simply nuke the thing. Better to try and know for sure it will or won't work than to not try and argue about whether it would have worked or not.

Premier kakos on
  • IonMageIonMage Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I have to ask, if its possible to just do it with the press of a few buttons, then couldnt we just do that and see how it pans out after? The only argument against it is that it wont be used, not the world exploding upon its creation.

If we want to keep things organized, we could make it a subforum for G&T, rather than an up-front new forum altogether. I know I've seen other forums for that kind of stuff.

IonMage on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Ok, I'll field this. There is too much WB/CoV/whatever bashing going on. The issue is not about other forums, the issue is if this has enough merit to standalone. I do not want to instantly dismiss this topic, so I am willing to discuss the creation of a subforum, that said, do not look to heavily into this. The end call will be mine or whippy's and if we decide against it, please let the issue drop.

With that out of the way, I'm going to need some numbers. So I'm going to add a poll to this thread. Please vote only once, and please vote honestly. I'm also going to ask that you guys get together some info for me. If I was to make a temporary subforum, what do you think are reasonable requirements for it to stick around? Not that I wan't useless "POAST" posts floating around, but in terms of legit activity, what are some good minimum bounds? At what point do we evaluate if the forum should recieve tenure or not? I'd also like some pseudo official rules if the forum were to be made. It sounds silly, but it will help me make my descision. I know, I've gotten crotchety in my old age.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited February 2006
    With that out of the way, I'm going to need some numbers. So I'm going to add a poll to this thread. Please vote only once, and please vote honestly. I'm also going to ask that you guys get together some info for me. If I was to make a temporary subforum, what do you think are reasonable requirements for it to stick around? Not that I wan't useless "POAST" posts floating around, but in terms of legit activity, what are some good minimum bounds? At what point do we evaluate if the forum should recieve tenure or not? I'd also like some pseudo official rules if the forum were to be made. It sounds silly, but it will help me make my descision. I know, I've gotten crotchety in my old age.

I don't think you need any minimum bounds, per se. If there isn't enough activity to warrant a forum, then participation will naturally drop off as people get bored with it. I'd say just keep an eye on it and if you see that it goes for long periods of time without activity, then there's a good chance that tabletop gaming doesn't warrant its own forum.

I'd recommend against setting hard limits because then that sort of forces people who are interested in it to artificially post "legit" activity to meet the requirements which will decrease the overall quality of the forum. I'd say just let things naturally flow and then use a judgement call on whether there is enough activity.

Premier kakos on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Kakos read my mind regarding hard limits as to what constitutes "enough" activity. I think that should be left to the judgment of the mod/admin team, after a sufficient amount of time has passed.

As for some "rough" rules, I have a couple of ideas:

*Game recruitment/"Game on" threads:

I could see these being run three ways:

The way I would recommend is a thread for each game, from start to finish. This thread would be the recruitment thread, game time thread, and "cool shit that happened" thread all in one. Each campaign could arrange meeting times and such in its own thread.

Another way one thread for recruitment, another thread for "cool shit that happened." DMs would be responsible for PMing/IMing their respective players for game times. The "cool shit" thread would be for cool shit happening in PA games.

A third way would be to have a hidden "game on" forum linked from the main Tabletop forum with an individual "game on" thread for each campaign. I'd rather not hide the gaming in this fashion, though.

Outside of that, we could have rules discussion threads for specific games, strategy discussion threads for specific games, miniature painting threads, army building threads, a general chat thread, a "gaming news" with industry updates thread, a "GM's Workshop" thread (for general GMing tips and tricks), and a "Role-Player's Workshop" thread (for general RPing tips and tricks) (these are just what I came up with off the top of my head).

Thanatos on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I would probably post in there every so often, mostly updates on the painting and assembly of my Necron army.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I would end up spending most of my time reading and posting in the non-digital games section. And on this poll, do you think that perhaps you could post a poll in G&T as well? Like I said earlier, most people don't frequent the monkey den. I am just trying to help make the results as accurate as possible.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Okay, it's been said several times, but not in a succinct, direct way: I see a ton of people clamoring for a tabletop gaming forum, and I don't recognize any of those names as people who have ever tried to sustain any tabletop gaming-related threads in G&T.

People keep citing the need for a new forum based on the fact that "it's impossible to do what we want to do in G&T". Is it? Do we know that for a fact? I don't think we do. If you guys really want to talk about something tabletop gaming-related, go make a thread in G&T. Do it. Seriously, go make one right now, and we'll see what happens. I'll probably even post in your thread.

If it turns out to really not be possible to get the desired foruming experience by creating threads in G&T, then we should revisit this issue again. But, for now, people who haven't even bothered trying should stop saying that it's not possible to get what you want using the current forum structure.

Captain K on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I would definitely very regularly and thoroughly read a tabletop gaming subforum. I would post advice and critique on subjects which I feel qualified to advise and criticize. I would rarely-occasionally post requesting advice and criticism of my own work. I would definitely join an online campaign provided I felt familiar with the other players (basically the Debate & Discourse crowd). On a personal level, I am greatly in favour of this forum.
    On the more important forum-wide level, I should expect that, given the nature of these forums, there would be sufficient RPers, modellers, and general geeks to fill up the forum. I second Thanatos and kakos.

Aroused Bull on
    edited February 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Okay, it's been said several times, but not in a succinct, direct way: I see a ton of people clamoring for a tabletop gaming forum, and I don't recognize any of those names as people who have ever tried to sustain any tabletop gaming-related threads in G&T.

People keep citing the need for a new forum based on the fact that "it's impossible to do what we want to do in G&T". Is it? Do we know that for a fact? I don't think we do. If you guys really want to talk about something tabletop gaming-related, go make a thread in G&T. Do it. Seriously, go make one right now, and we'll see what happens. I'll probably even post in your thread.

If it turns out to really not be possible to get the desired foruming experience by creating threads in G&T, then we should revisit this issue again. But, for now, people who haven't even bothered trying should stop saying that it's not possible to get what you want using the current forum structure.

Could I post a thread with a character backstory and ask for tips and advice on how to make it better in G+T, or would it be moved?

Premier kakos on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    Captain K wrote:

Could I post a thread with a character backstory and ask for tips and advice on how to make it better in G+T, or would it be moved?
    well, are you asking for how to make it better from a writing perspective?

don't you think that the writing forum would be the best place to get advice of that nature?

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited February 2006

don't you think that the writing forum would be the best place to get advice of that nature?

That's exactly my point. Tabletop gaming involves a wide variety of things that are covered by separate forums. It's not feasible to post to all the various forums for this one topic. Besides, I guarantee you that the people in Writer's Block won't give half a fuck about my half-elf ranger's childhood, nor will Artist's Corner give a flying fuck about my shitty character art, nor will H/A give a fuck about how I should deal with my DM or whatever.

Premier kakos on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    i think i would post there more than i do on crosswalk.

which is to say, a fuckton.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited February 2006

That's exactly my point. Tabletop gaming involves a wide variety of things that are covered by separate forums. It's not feasible to post to all the various forums for this one topic. Besides, I guarantee you that the people in Writer's Block won't give half a fuck about my half-elf ranger's childhood, nor will Artist's Corner give a flying fuck about my shitty character art, nor will H/A give a fuck about how I should deal with my DM or whatever.

You guarantee me? Have you tried it?

At all?

Do you have any basis for these statements?

This is a forum populated by nerds. There will be people who want to give you advice on each of those topics. Why? Because it's what we're here for.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006

At all?

This is a forum populated by nerds. There will be people who want to give you advice on each of those topics. Why? Because it's what we're here for.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one thread with rpg character art in the AC right now.

Metalbourne on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2006

At all?

Case in point: The 40k thread in AFK now was originally started in H/A, asking what a good way to get into the hobby would be. That's sort of a nebulous question, but it illustrates Kakos' point quite well.

Moreover, we had three or four "splinter threads" off of that same 90-page 40k behemoth, and they were all shortly locked and pointed towards the main 40k thread.

And finally, Kakos' point is that having to spread things out over four forums for a single campaign is a royal pain in the ass, which is reasonable.

Salvation122 on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006

Oh look, a user is being insular and stupid about the sub forums other than his particular favourite without having even tried to post in them. What a fucking shock.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited February 2006

At all?

Okay, guarantee was a little strong. But the point still stands that it isn't feasible to have to utilise three or more different forums for the sole purpose of tabletop gaming. It's much easier to get people interested and discussing if all of the stuff is located firmly in one forum.

Premier kakos on
    edited February 2006
    Okay, guarantee was a little strong. But the point still stands that it isn't feasible to have to utilise three or more different forums for the sole purpose of tabletop gaming. It's much easier to get people interested and discussing if all of the stuff is located firmly in one forum.
    It isn't?

Why not?

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited February 2006
    It isn't?

Why not?

1) People are lazy.
    2) People are, like it or not, creatures of habit and typically do not venture outside of the forums that they find comfortable.

I know there is a desire to idealise us and believe that we should use all the forums given to us. However, we aren't ideals and we don't tend to act that way. Most people don't look at more than one or two different forums and will lose interest if they have to visit three different forums to gather all the info about tabletop gaming. Most people won't venture into unfamiliar territory to post something.

Furthermore, each forum does has its own distinctive character which may disagree with one's sensibilities. I personally don't like G+T because it doesn't feel right to me. It would be much more convenient if there was a forum with a distinctive "tabletop gaming" character, which would feel right at home for the tabletop gamers.

Premier kakos on
    edited February 2006
    It isn't?

Why not?
    Because you have to split your attention three ways, which leads to your thread either getting pruned or lost seven pages back? Plus it's a pain in the ass?

Another point: At least twice since I've been here, people have tried to put together an completely original PnP RPG - new setting, new dice mechanics, everything. Inevitably these burn through about three fifty page threads, people realize it's a pain in the ass to try and get anything done in a single, crowded, disjointed thread, and the project either moves to an offsite forum (where it quickly dies) or people get frustrated and it dies. A tabletop forum would allow for more visibility for the project - how many SE++ or D&D regulars really read G&T? - and for easier organization.

Salvation122 on
  • ~Nephilim~~Nephilim~ Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Captain K wrote:

I had a 95 page warhammer thread within a month, it was closed because it was too big.

I would have made another, but clawshrimpy beat me to the punch.

~Nephilim~ on
    pashazam.jpg
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I would end up spending most of my time reading and posting in the non-digital games section. And on this poll, do you think that perhaps you could post a poll in G&T as well? Like I said earlier, most people don't frequent the monkey den. I am just trying to help make the results as accurate as possible.
    I know, but if people can't make the 5 clicks required to vote in this poll, they won't post in a new forum past when the novelty wears off.

Älphämönkëy on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I know, but if people can't make the 5 clicks required to vote in this poll, they won't post in a new forum past when the novelty wears off.

But see, most people will never see this particular poll for a very simple reason: Everyone knows the Monkey Den is devoted to technical stuff. Usually someone getting an error message or something. The tabletoppers have no reason to come here. You don't come in here expecting to see a poll about tabletop gaming. I personally would have never seen this thread if the 'who got banned' thread weren't so damned entertaining.

Now, you put it in G&T, where I would suspect just about all of the tabletoppers would reside, and you still don't get a decent-sized voting sample, then you have a very valid argument.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    I don't know how to vote. I would absolutely post in a tabletop forum but I do not think it is a good idea. We have tabletop threads in G&T from time to tme and I think they actually get more exposure than they would if they were off in their own little forum. Hot Topic forums just don't get as much traffic as the "main" forums.

Maybe it would be OK to try it on a trial basis or something, I don't know.

mcc on
    edited February 2006
    A trial basis is I think all anyone's really asking for at this point.

Salvation122 on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2006
    It'd be a nice subforum. I'd definitely post in it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I've tried making Go threads before with little success in G&T. I know for a fact that there is more than a few Go players who frequent G&T but not really enough to sustain a thread. I know this because I've tried it, and I'm probably not the only one. A game like Go is just one example. There could be alot of people scattered across the forums that are really into Mancala. I don't really see a Mancala thread lasting long in G&T though. It would get a few posts like the Go threads I tried. It may struggle its way back and fourth between the first three or four pages of the forum for a few days then promptly drown in STEAM STEAM OLOL and CUMING DICKS.

I think we would see a surprising amount of activity and a greater diversity of topics and interest than is readily apparent.

Drake on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I can definitely see how a seperate tabletop subforum would be a good thing. Not sure how much I'd personally post there, as I don't do the tabletop thing much anymore...but I'd sure poke my head in just in case something interesting was going on.

G&T seems, for the most part, to be a videogaming forum. Yes, some high-profile games can sustain their own threads on the front page (Warhammer, for instance), but most of the rest is going to get lost in there. I think the tabletop gamers could really benefit from a space to call their own.

If nobody posts there, make it go away. But I think given just a little time people will.

P.S. I dig Go.

mcdermott on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    What is one arguement here? Consolidation? If you consolidate in this case, it will not neccicarly help out. There are some people in WB and AC who are professionals at their art, they are published people or graphic designers. Would you rather have advice from a professional graphic designer on your character graphic or would you rather have it from Johnny, your lovable DM. I don't buy into this lack of utilization of multiple forums, and I certainly haven't seen anyone here try it.

Let me give you an example from an old friend of my, we'll call this person Lex. Lex plays D&D, Lex enjoys playing D&D a lot. One day, Lex starts a drawing of Sh'Dor, the Elf that Lex roleplays as. That same day, Lex posts it in AC and gets a ton of critques and advice on the piece. The piece is fine tuned and polished, and comes out a shining gem. You will not be discriminated against for posting something under a certain theme. Hell, I think I've even seen a thread in H&A about help with an insane DM before.

tl;dr Don't go crying about a new forum when you are afraid to leave your own niche and utilize what you already have.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Well, in that example it would depend on what sort of advice I'm looking for. If I wanted comments that pertain to the artistic merits of my doodle; proportionality, perspective and the like, then Artists Corner. If I wanted comments on how it reflects my character sheet, the campaign, et cetera, then perhaps the proposed forum would be more appropriate.

Nartwak on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    What is one arguement here? Consolidation? If you consolidate in this case, it will not neccicarly help out. There are some people in WB and AC who are professionals at their art, they are published people or graphic designers. Would you rather have advice from a professional graphic designer on your character graphic or would you rather have it from Johnny, your lovable DM. I don't buy into this lack of utilization of multiple forums, and I certainly haven't seen anyone here try it.

Let me give you an example from an old friend of my, we'll call this person Lex. Lex plays D&D, Lex enjoys playing D&D a lot. One day, Lex starts a drawing of Sh'Dor, the Elf that Lex roleplays as. That same day, Lex posts it in AC and gets a ton of critques and advice on the piece. The piece is fine tuned and polished, and comes out a shining gem. You will not be discriminated against for posting something under a certain theme. Hell, I think I've even seen a thread in H&A about help with an insane DM before.

tl;dr Don't go crying about a new forum when you are afraid to leave your own niche and utilize what you already have.

And the people from AC do not leave it's confines? It's just as likely one or two of them with a passion or talent for just such a thing would end up being drawn to said discussion.

Ein on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2006
    I'm Timspork and I support this message.

Unknown User on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited February 2006

My concern is that they are not even aware of the poll's existance. As this would affect G&T greatly, would it be bad if i made a thread there pointing to this poll? I see potential for jailing if i did so and I really have no intent to break any rules.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006

And the people from AC do not leave it's confines? It's just as likely one or two of them with a passion or talent for just such a thing would end up being drawn to said discussion.

You miss the point. While you may get 2 or 3 people from AC to wander into the TT forum, you would miss out on a wealth of knowledge. Even if a thread with art pertaining to a TT game was posted, do you rule out that someone would say "This should really go in the AC"?

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I voted for "post occasionally" because I approve of his Selma-killing policy.

Butler on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2006

And if you're not looking for artistic perfection from your character drawing?

Thanatos on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2006

My concern is that they are not even aware of the poll's existance. As this would affect G&T greatly, would it be bad if i made a thread there pointing to this poll? I see potential for jailing if i did so and I really have no intent to break any rules.
    The results of the poll don't matter, because the poll isn't asking the right question.

I'm in the same boat as mcc: I would absolutely post in a tabletop subforum if it existed, but I do not think it needs to exist.

Captain K on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Plus, most of these things are longish threads; if it could get away with it, I'd be suprised if the 40k one didn't get broken into at least three or four seperate topics.

Agreed. The Warhammer thread loses wargame questions in RPG stories and the like. Beyond the GW games, D&D could get a thread or two as well as having a 'GM/DM tips' thread or the like.

I know I'd love a place to discuss more tabletop games with the sentence and period-capable crowd here. For WoW it's nice to have an alternative to the ZOMG!!11 of the official boards. It would be just as nice to avoid the uppity tournament dudes of Dakka and repetitive tedium of Warseer.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited February 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    The results of the poll don't matter, because the poll isn't asking the right question.

I'm in the same boat as mcc: I would absolutely post in a tabletop subforum if it existed, but I do not think it needs to exist.

Well, my dearest Captain K, alphamonkey seems to think the results matter and since he is the alpha monkey around here, I'd say they do matter. ;)

Premier kakos on
This discussion has been closed.