As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Druids: CLOSED SLIGHTLY EARLY

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    [edit @ Bill] I also like how some of the "community leaders" were taking a lot of time telling people how great druid tanking was to anyone having doubts, while knowingly enjoying a 12% flat damage reduction (physical and magical) and a 6% AP buff. Most likely the fix to this has lead to over-nerfing of the overall bear damage (and thus threat).

That's just ethically reprehensible.

Expand on this for me, please, I'd like to know more.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2046735700

The offender's blog (expanded) http://theincbear.com/thick-hide-theorycraft/

Basically, the old talent was still active (ghosted) for ferals that happened to be in bear from when the shattering hit and talents were redone. This gave them a 12% flat damage reduction and 6% AP buff.

They didn't tell anyone (presumably because a Blizzard employee confirmed it in exchange for silence. But we may never know). The most damning thing is that those that did know- Reesi, Fasc, Arielle, have been adamant on the forums about bear tanks being fine and that anyone having problems needs to l2p. One would *think* knowing you have a 12%, 6% advantage that they might take that into consideration.

Really it comes down to the fact they were exploiting a bug and keeping a lid on it for as long as possible to continue to benefit, all the while obfuscating the issue by throwing up the old l2p with people who weren't exploiting said bug.
    I'm filtered, so I can't see what's behind those links, but the way you describe this implies there was some kind of bear conspiracy. I don't remember what spec I was in when 4.0 hit, so I have no idea if this bug applied to me. I know in Throne last night my threat was serviceable but not nearly as good as it used to be, and I felt like I was a little easier to heal (the extra 8k armor on my character sheet may have been an effective placebo, who knows).

If I'd respecced after 4.0, did that remove the phantom talent?

No, the phantom talent applied no matter what as long you were in bear form. This includes if you switched specs or respecced (you could be a resto druid with a bear form with the +12% mitigation and 6% AP).

Basically these theorycrafters knew about this, kept it secret for either "protecting the community from itself" or "because they were asked to by Blizzard" (both seem fishy), and continually harassed people in the tanking/druid forums about playing wrong when druids not affected by the bug were confused when they weren't doing as well as predicted. Basically the bug gave such a boost that it was equivalent to 1-2 tiers worth of gear and people are rightfully concerned that the class designers looked at data tainted by the bug and said that bears needed nerfing based on it while at the same time the patch fixed the ghosted talents either on purpose or by coincidence such that bears got hit by not one but two nerfs. So people are angry at these theorycrafters for keeping things secret, acting like high and mighty jackasses, and potentially being a major reason why bears got gutted by way of not blowing the whistle when they could.

Opty on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Celian wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    So is it seriously worth just wasting CPs before 25% and just using only SR and Rip?

From what I read yes, it's a negligible change to your dps, either up or down. So I'd rather use Shred and have more CPs up for stuff that actually hits. Gone are the days of enormous FB crits with ArPen and Crit being capped :(
    Ugh. Do you use the FB major, by the way? That sure would have been nice back in WotLK (but not as a WotLK major), but it's annoying that it isn't the baseline functionality of FB, with a glyph to add the energy dump effect.

forty on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Got into my first heroics last night. Joined Lost City in progress, and that went pretty smooth (there were some party members from the same guild) and then queued up again for BRC. I died on the first boss :( but got ghouled :). After that, smooth sailing, and it was my first time in that dungeon. I forget exactly, but I'm somewhere around 338ish in my feral gear. I was at the bottom of damage done, but averaged around 10k and was getting up to 11-12 or higher on bosses. Granted, this was probably with a full Luck of the Draw buff. But I figure its a good place to start, and I do still need to do some enchanting and reforging.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Quick question for anyone that plays a boomkin here. What are the sta priorities after I have reached hit cap? Obviously Int is the king but whats next?

Past the spirit/hit cap of 1742 rating, Haste and Mastery provide the largest gains with crit trailing behind by a fair margin. If you offspec Resto at all there are certain haste breakpoints to shoot for to squeeze extra output from your spells, ~920 haste rating is the first and most important.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Crit was ahead until this recent patch, as mastery was our worst stat. Mastery's probably a little bit better now given the patch but I wouldn't say crit's behind at all by too much.

There are some haste milestones for Boomkin to watch, in order to gain extra ticks with our dots, but they're fairly high (1300+) and probably too esoteric to bother worrying about too much. Otherwise it's just: Int > More Int > Some More Int > Haste > Everything Else

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RipplesmithRipplesmith Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Crit was ahead until this recent patch, as mastery was our worst stat. Mastery's probably a little bit better now given the patch but I wouldn't say crit's behind at all by too much.

There are some haste milestones for Boomkin to watch, in order to gain extra ticks with our dots, but they're fairly high (1300+) and probably too esoteric to bother worrying about too much. Otherwise it's just: Int > More Int > Some More Int > Haste > Everything Else

hmmmm sounds warlocky.... thanks for the info guys

Ripplesmith on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, our DoTs get an 11th tick at 1423 haste rating (with no buffs other than moonkin form) and a 13th at 1924 with Nature's Grace up. You'll need full heroic gear to hit that though, so don't worry about it. Hit is more important (from a peace of mind standpoint, if not a damage one).

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So is it seriously worth just wasting CPs before 25% and just using only SR and Rip?

From what I read yes, it's a negligible change to your dps, either up or down. So I'd rather use Shred and have more CPs up for stuff that actually hits. Gone are the days of enormous FB crits with ArPen and Crit being capped :(
    Ugh. Do you use the FB major, by the way? That sure would have been nice back in WotLK (but not as a WotLK major), but it's annoying that it isn't the baseline functionality of FB, with a glyph to add the energy dump effect.

Yeah I do. I've considered dropping it, but then, besides the Rebirth one, I can't see what to fit in there.

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So while tanking leveling instances on my druid, I noticed that the spell alert graphic for the free Mangle proc was really shitty and hard to notice if you're not looking right where it appears. I was going to bitch about it, and then the patch notes said it has a new graphic, so yay for that. Until the patch, it was these kinda faint, wispy white arcs above your character that was easy to miss in the mass of spell effect disco and mob groins. Anyone know what it appears as now?

forty on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, the net effect of the Druid nerfs, pve tanking wise, is a drop of dps from 9k to 8k, and no noticable change to threat output (or it's still high enough for noone to pull aggro of me).

Crisis averted, unless something's wrong at raid level.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm a little curious how a 20% nerf in damage only took you from 9k to 8k.

forty on
  • Options
    ArkasArkas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Random boomkin observations:

Gale winds is terrible, now more than ever - if you're AoEing, mushrooms are DA BOMB (seriously, though), and you should never ever ever cast Hurricane. I pulled 51.5k on Halfus this week (world 18th yeah!) and most of that was using mushrooms on CD while whelps were up.

I also have only been a boomkin for 2 weeks, and my gear is only just starting to look more purple than blue. :x

Mushroom are even worth planting on single-target fights, before the pull, but you need to be careful about when you detonate. I spiked to 80k in the first 10 seconds of Argaloth and nearly had a heart attack (but somehow did not pull aggro and die, my tanks are awesome).

Also I've never had so much fun killing trash before, on any class or spec. We hop in circles and moonfire spam, and now we plant bombs everywhere too. While still hopping in circles! And if there's no CC, we can starfall in a crowded room! Boomkins are, hands down, the kings of trash.

Finally, and I'm sure people will think I'm nuts for saying this, if you don't need snares for raids you might consider putting 2 points in Feral Swiftness. It's such a great quality of life boost, especially when questing in TB (+30% stealth speed) or running back from wipes.

Blessing of the Grove is technically better, if you want to maximize your dps as much as possible, but it's +6% to the direct damage of moonfire only, and you usually only do the hop in circles thing on trash, not bosses. There are certainly times when I am a much happier player with +30% runspeed. I respec a lot though, admittedly.

But, something to consider. :)

Arkas on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The FB glyph is actually a small DPS loss. Pre-Cataclysm, the extra energy wasn't converted to damage as efficiently as the first 35, so letting FB use extra energy actually decreased its DPE. They fixed that in Cataclysm. Now, FB's DPE is the same no matter how much energy you let it consume. Thus you actually want FB to use as much energy as possible, because in situations where you'd actually use FB, it has higher DPE than any of your other options.

(Granted, the change is pretty negligible either way. Post-4.0.6 FB only beats Shred in DPE because of the increased crit chance.)

Billmaan on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blurbl wrote: »
    So, the net effect of the Druid nerfs, pve tanking wise, is a drop of dps from 9k to 8k, and no noticable change to threat output (or it's still high enough for noone to pull aggro of me).

Heh. Just wait until you have a tank switch fight (no vengeance to back you up) and dps pulling upwards of 16k.

It'll be doable for you. Just a major pain in the ass.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So the eyes are getting replaced?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They reverted the starfall buff :(

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blurbl wrote: »

Heh. Just wait until you have a tank switch fight (no vengeance to back you up) and dps pulling upwards of 16k.

It'll be doable for you. Just a major pain in the ass.

Just did Argaloth without any troubles, that count? Top 5 dps were 18-14k.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They reverted the starfall buff :(
    So now it pulls things out of combat again? Good thing I didn't get used to it then.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So now it pulls things out of combat again? Good thing I didn't get used to it then.

No, that's left in (I think?). The speed of the stars is now back to pre-patch which means starfall's dps is cut in half again, sigh.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2011

No, that's left in. The speed of the stars is now back to pre-patch which means starfall's dps is cut in half again, sigh.

Oh. I guess the "good thing I didn't get used to it then" applies for this as well, since all I've done as Balance since the patch is dailies. I've been having too much fun as Resto in Heroics with our new toys (3 Rejuv Haste Nourish is awesome).

Opty on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    They said the speed was increased slightly in the notes.

So "slightly" means "doubled" now?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

No, that's left in (I think?). The speed of the stars is now back to pre-patch which means starfall's dps is cut in half again, sigh.

It was kind of crazy. 100 stars on a single target fight with haste rocking really cranked out the DPS. 20-25k on Argaloth in heroic gear.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    They said the speed was increased slightly in the notes.

So "slightly" means "doubled" now?

Yes. Pre-patch you would get 10 stars on a single target. Post-patch-pre-revert you'd get the full 20.
    It was kind of crazy. 100 stars on a single target fight with haste rocking really cranked out the DPS. 20-25k on Argaloth in heroic gear.

I know, I had the same experience just a few days back with it. Nearly tied my wrath and starfire damage on Argaloth.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I did 25 man Argaloth last night in a PUG and beat people in epic raiding gear due to Starfall doing so much damage, especially with heroism/nature's grace/hurricane x 2 up.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm not saying you're not telling the truth, just that the vague language is stupid and should be more direct. Doubling your stars is not what I imagine when the words "slightly" is said. I'm thinking one or two more stars on a single target.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    what're you dudes using to track your lifeblooms? gridstatushots doesn't seem to be working properly. Grid itself will track the presence of lifebloom, but the timer features in the status plugin don't seem to work.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Vuhdo.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    HALP!

I can't seem to get a hang of what the fuck I am doing. [Bear Tank]

>>> http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/hydraxis/patronus/simple

I'm averaging 4-5k dps without Heroism, etc. My threat isn't terrible but it could be a lot better, and I just don't understand how I can get better. I think it has to be my gear, maybe i'm stacked up wrong right now.

Roation:
    Single Target: FairyFire, Laceratex3, Pulverize, Laceratex3, Thrash, Mangle, Mangle. Thrash/Lacerate/Mangle are all macroed to trigger Maul if it's up, so there are always mauls going on.

AoE: FairFire Pull, Swipe, Thrash, Laceratex2 on the main target, Mangle, Swipe, Thrash, Keep Lacerate on the main target at x3, mangle, swipe, thrash. (As of late i've been finding myself needing to drop a few lacerates around because I can't hold AoE threat for shit.) Also, Mangle/Lacerate/Thrash all macroed to trigger maul.

I am probably doing it all wrong, so please help me figure it out.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HALP!

I'm averaging 4-5k dps without Heroism, etc. My threat isn't terrible but it could be a lot better, and I just don't understand how I can get better. I think it has to be my gear, maybe i'm stacked up wrong right now.

Roation:
    Single Target: FairyFire, Laceratex3, Pulverize, Laceratex3, Thrash, Mangle, Mangle. Thrash/Lacerate/Mangle are all macroed to trigger Maul if it's up, so there are always mauls going on.

AoE: FairFire Pull, Swipe, Thrash, Laceratex2 on the main target, Mangle, Swipe, Thrash, Keep Lacerate on the main target at x3, mangle, swipe, thrash. (As of late i've been finding myself needing to drop a few lacerates around because I can't hold AoE threat for shit.) Also, Mangle/Lacerate/Thrash all macroed to trigger maul.

FF to pull, then MANGLE RIGHT NOW. Is mangle up? MANGLE AGAIN. Hit it again just to be safe. A couple of times.

I'd suggest taking Maul off of macros if you're doing heroics, because I'm betting it's rage starving you. Mangle needs to be on cooldown. Always. Forever. If you're not logged on right now, you should log on and push the mangle button. It's that important. Maul is a filler for when you've got excess rage. Mangle is the deity to which you offer praise and sacrifice rogues. If there are multiple mobs that you're tanking, lacerate each to trigger more mangles.

AoE threat's a bitch sometimes, but lead with a quick thrash-swipe combo and try to tab thru alternating mauls with mangles on the mobs. DPS that don't behave themselves are very likely to pull agro in an AoE situation. You can't save a suicidal mage if he really wants to die.

Bobble on
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HALP!

Roation:

Think your rotation is a bit off. I use mangle first, as it increases bleed damage so your lacerate will tick for more. Don't pulverize if you still have the buff on you, having the lacerate tick will be more threat. Maybe having Maul trigger on every ability eats up too much of you rage? Do you find yourself starved for rage?

Your gear is a bit off. Don't reforge anything for Hit. Hit is our lowest priority stat. Reforge for dodge, more dodge = more rage due to talents. I know prices were high, but it should be better now. Get belt buckles and enchants, they do help quite a bit. There's a crafted BS Polearm that is quite quite good. It'd be a big upgrade for your damage output. The prices for it probably went down as well.

Hope this helps!

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Last night was my first attempt to tank in a cata level dungeon on my (level 85) druid. Ended up in Vortex Pinnacle (normal). Didn't seem so bad, kind of frantic in AoE situations though (thank god for threat plates).

The warrior who was along though could take a mob in AoE situations if he really wanted to, as soon as he started winding up Colossus Smash I pretty much had to taunt/mangle/pray.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ok, so I reforged everything I had hit, into Dodge, with added belt buckle and gem, I'm at 30.39% dodge chance. That polearm axe is gonna take some time to make, I am an Alchemist so the truegold is not gonna be that big of a deal, but it does look nice.

Appreciate all the advice. I ran H-HoO which wasn't bad but I learned a lot. I'm starting to get faster at keeping mobs together, my only issue right now is really threat. People in Heroic randoms hit so hard for DPS that they peel shit off me. Guess it's just a matter of gear.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I use the ingame raid frames and a dot timer set to show pretty much only my lifebloom and tree form.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Went from iLevel 333 to 341 tonight running Heroics and I don't feel much of a difference.

30.38% dodge, 30% crit rate, 140k health....6k single target dps... which I don't understand because I am cranking out 10-15k crits like allll the time. I changed my rotation up, and I am keeping threat better, but 14k dps warriors are still ripping shit right off me lol. I told this one guy if he didn't want to wait he can just have it.

I dunno, I realize tanking shouldn't be automagical but I hear nothing but big numbers and I just don't see how. I guess have some more learning to do.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Went from iLevel 333 to 341 tonight running Heroics and I don't feel much of a difference.

30.38% dodge, 30% crit rate, 140k health....6k single target dps... which I don't understand because I am cranking out 10-15k crits like allll the time. I changed my rotation up, and I am keeping threat better, but 14k dps warriors are still ripping shit right off me lol. I told this one guy if he didn't want to wait he can just have it.

I dunno, I realize tanking shouldn't be automagical but I hear nothing but big numbers and I just don't see how. I guess have some more learning to do.

Well the weapon's a big piece of threat. If you're rocking a 333 weapon and that warrior's sporting 346 or 359, you're at a huge disadvantage.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I know. It is just gonna take me a few days to get all that shit together to get the weapon made.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I know. It is just gonna take me a few days to get all that shit together to get the weapon made.

Alternative options are the first boss from Heroic Lost City, and something at Revered with the Tol Barad faction.

and then there's the 359 arena weapon. Just 3 weeks worth of queueing and praying to get another team of people who are in PVE gear and match up poorly with your team :P

Also, reminder to all of my fellow cow druids out there: warstomp in bearform! Wheeee!

Bobble on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As the man responsible for the rogue thread title

I approve of the Druid thread title

We can now be bros

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm not saying you're not telling the truth, just that the vague language is stupid and should be more direct. Doubling your stars is not what I imagine when the words "slightly" is said. I'm thinking one or two more stars on a single target.
    Considering this is the company where "soon" means 6 months to a year, usually, this seems perfectly in line!

forty on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I (finally) got the spear to drop in lost city the other day, and upgraded from my 333 staff. It was like oh, hey, where did this threat come from?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.