As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Space 2: How Many Licks Does It Take to Get to the Center of a Necromorph?

1565758596062»

• Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isaac?

Make us whole again

................. D:

I just re-routed the first part of the asteroid defence system power. I can't believe there was another one of those big, charging bastards down there. I hit the roof when it came charging at me. I just turned the power on and fucking legged it back up to the bridge, narrowly avoiding the missing gravity plates, almost getting splattered on the ceiling and openly cursing every necrotwat that suddenly decided to pop up out of goddamn nowhere as I ran.

Once I got back in the lift, the doors took longer to close than usual I'm sure of it.

That's the most adrenalin fuelled part of the game I've encountered so far. Goddammit.

And I have two more to go...

EDIT] I am glad people are enjoying my terror/misery/enjoyment.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    man if you're shitting yourself now you are going to completely explode in DS2

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    EDIT] I am glad people are enjoying my terror/misery/enjoyment.

Very much so, and, in fact, in that order.

Rend on
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think you only need to remove the arms to be sure things don't get reanimated. I discovered this on my many playthroughs of DS1. I guess the logic is that if the enemy has no mode of attacking, he is dead. You can cut both of the legs off a slasher and he can still live. If you cut off both of the arms they are dead 100% of the time.

This same train of thought still applies in DS2 as well. Case in point, everything will die with no arms except the puker, since he technically still has a mode of attack... puking. The only thing I haven't really tested this on are Stalkers, since they seem to have such low health in the first place I always manage to kill them before I even have a chance at that second arm.

kriegs on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've never managed to disarm a Stalker without dislegging him first.
    If dislegging isn't a real word, Dead Space shows it should be.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, it's too bad you can't accrue an entourage of (h)armless necromorphs following you around then, hanging around during cutscenes and blocking your shots.

rRootagea on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    klemming wrote: »

Aren't there a couple guys in 2 that you have to go for the arms? Like when you first get stasis, I could swear that soldier necro doesn't get phased by leg shots.

Or those weird double bodied guys.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    More DS 1 gubbins!

I got to chapter five and I am done for the evening.

So far I've fixed the tram system, refuelled and restarted the engines, single handedly protected the ship from asteroids and now my two colleagues want me to do something about the oxygen running out. It sure would be nice if they helped out. Especially since I saw a corpse who asked me to make him whole again before strutting off down a corridor and I am getting inappropriately calm voice messages from my dead girlfriend, therefore I am apparently losing my mind as well.

Except for the first night where I was pushed for time, I have worked out at about two chapters a night, which I am pleased with. Friggin love/hate/love this game.

As for tomorrow, I look forward to the cakewalk that chapter five will no doubt be.

Right?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

As for tomorrow, I look forward to the cakewalk that chapter five will no doubt be.

Right?

Oh ho ho ho ho.

Hedgethorn on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Right?

Oh ho ho ho ho.

I just replayed about 2/3's of DS1. Chapter 5 is most certainly oh ho ho ho worthy. Oh yes. Yes indeed.

Mustachio Jones on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Aren't there a couple guys in 2 that you have to go for the arms? Like when you first get stasis, I could swear that soldier necro doesn't get phased by leg shots.

Leg shots work, it just takes about 8 of them for each leg.

I went through so much ammo before I figured it out.

adytum on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »

I can take the arms off other necros, it's just the Stalkers I mean. They just come too fast for me to target the arms, even with stasis.
    Of course, once I take the legs off the first one, I'm free and clear, as I have two claws to chuck at the next guy.

When is it that Black Stalkers appear? If they take more than two claws to put down on Hardcore, things may get a lot worse for me.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    More DS 1 gubbins!

So far I've fixed the tram system, refuelled and restarted the engines, single handedly protected the ship from asteroids and now my two colleagues want me to do something about the oxygen running out. It sure would be nice if they helped out. Especially since I saw a corpse who asked me to make him whole again before strutting off down a corridor and I am getting inappropriately calm voice messages from my dead girlfriend, therefore I am apparently losing my mind as well.

Except for the first night where I was pushed for time, I have worked out at about two chapters a night, which I am pleased with. Friggin love/hate/love this game.

Right?

Like I said, have fun on Chapter 5.

Edit: By the way I'm really proud that everyone in here seems to be rallying together and making sure not to give anything away beyond extremely vague hints as to what's in store for Bacon. It makes this so much better.

Szechuan on
    edited February 2011

Some necromorphs are former security/engineers that have leg armor. I hate them so much... Well, I did before I met my beautiful fiancee.
    Her name is Jennifer Javelin.

Szechuan on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah

but DS1 taught me if you're not aiming for the sharp bits you aren't doing it right

later on today i'll be writing up my post-game thoughts on DS2

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've just started playing the first game. I had planned on getting it on my PS3 but hte lack of a TV and that steam sale forced my hand.

Made it through the first chapter last night. It was scary at first. Then I started being calm enough to take the two scythes off those mostly human ones. Then when I felt perfectly fine with everything those same looking ones started shooting acid at me and now I'm back to scared as hell... Also are those little ones that spout out three long tentacles by any chance babies changed into necros, because if so damn.

initiatefailure on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I can take the arms off other necros, it's just the Stalkers I mean. They just come too fast for me to target the arms, even with stasis.
    Of course, once I take the legs off the first one, I'm free and clear, as I have two claws to chuck at the next guy.

When is it that Black Stalkers appear? If they take more than two claws to put down on Hardcore, things may get a lot worse for me.

Black Stalkers appear after you get the Contact Beam.

A zero-node Contact Beam one shots Black Stalkers even on Zealot.

gjaustin on
    edited February 2011
    oh SNAP. my birthday ishimura hoodie just came in the post.

:D:D:D

EDIT: picture!

1985aw-yeahhhh.JPG

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally finished DS2. I have to say, I have mixed feelings about it. I think the game was at its best when it did NOTHING. The first half of Chapter 10 was terrifying precisely because your mind is filling in for all the emptiness, remembering. Once the action started flying around the horror came to a crashing halt...

There's also nothing in DS2 that comes close to the feeling I got in DS1 when you get to
    The mass suicide room with Twinkle Twinkle playing.
    I had to turn on the lights at that moment. Chapter 10 came close, but nothing as unsettling and horrifying. Whatever happened to Ring Around the Rosie?

Akilae on
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Akilae wrote: »
    Finally finished DS2. I have to say, I have mixed feelings about it. I think the game was at its best when it did NOTHING. The first half of Chapter 10 was terrifying precisely because your mind is filling in for all the emptiness, remembering. Once the action started flying around the horror came to a crashing halt...

There's also nothing in DS2 that comes close to the feeling I got in DS1 when you get to
    I had to turn on the lights at that moment. Chapter 10 came close, but nothing as unsettling and horrifying. Whatever happened to Ring Around the Rosie?

to be fair to DS2 i don't think it's attempting those types of scares and failing, they just went for a different vibe, they went more for Jump scares and made Chapter 10 the uber creepy one. Having said that, i think the Unitology apartment rooms had a really nice creepy atmosphere to them that echoed that suicide room.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
    edited February 2011
    Akilae wrote: »

to be fair to DS2 i don't think it's attempting those types of scares and failing, they just went for a different vibe, they went more for Jump scares and made Chapter 10 the uber creepy one. Having said that, i think the Unitology apartment rooms had a really nice creepy atmosphere to them that echoed that suicide room.

I get really, really tense when I suspect jump-scares are coming and I startle like the dickens when it happens but shit like the Twinkle room is just laughable to me and removes any sense of tension. All I can focus on is the really awkward wording like "Though I know not what you are"... Seriously? That sounds like a 13-year-old trying to sound formal.

DS2 was just as bad - the first few 'spooky' things/dementia were okay but the writing for Nicole in particular was godawful. I don't have a transcript handy and need to head out for a while, but every single time she was on screen it felt like the dialogue was always one sentence too long to achieve the desired effect - spooky things aren't spooky when they explain to you in exacting detail what they are, what they're doing there, and why you should be scared of them.

Szechuan on
  • stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OK on my first play through.

On chapter 5
    Am I supposed to have a fully upgraded starting gun at this point. I am playing with basically the starting weapon and the line gun so that I can sell the ammo. I found a schematic for nodes and since I have tons of leftover ammo I have been buying them like crazy. I am a bench away from lighting things on fire at this point.

I will add, being sick, and only eating gummi bears and dayquil is my excuse for jumping through the roof everytime something comes at me.

stormbringer on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I found out something and tested it in DS1.

In a NG+ (with you having a weapon from the start) if you shoot the first vent on your left after 'exiting' the room with the 4 other people a Necromorph spawns. It can (and will) chase you back into that room and the NPCs just ignore it as it slowly stalks you.

Pretty funny.

Magus` on
    edited February 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    So I found out something and tested it in DS1.

In a NG+ (with you having a weapon from the start) if you shoot the first vent on your left after 'exiting' the room with the 4 other people a Necromorph spawns. It can (and will) chase you back into that room and the NPCs just ignore it as it slowly stalks you.

Pretty funny.

gotta remember to try that. :^:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited February 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »
    I get really, really tense when I suspect jump-scares are coming and I startle like the dickens when it happens but shit like the Twinkle room is just laughable to me and removes any sense of tension. All I can focus on is the really awkward wording like "Though I know not what you are"... Seriously? That sounds like a 13-year-old trying to sound formal.

You realize those are actually the lyrics to the song, right?

gjaustin on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    More DS 1 gubbins!

Right?
    Damnit. Stop posting.

That's it. I'm going to gamestop and re-buying DS1. :x

On chapter 5
    Am I supposed to have a fully upgraded starting gun at this point. I am playing with basically the starting weapon and the line gun so that I can sell the ammo. I found a schematic for nodes and since I have tons of leftover ammo I have been buying them like crazy. I am a bench away from lighting things on fire at this point.

I will add, being sick, and only eating gummi bears and dayquil is my excuse for jumping through the roof everytime something comes at me.
    mmmm. Gummi bears.

Anyway, no. I didn't fully upgrade a gun until like the second chapter of my second playthrough.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

On chapter 5

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, necessarily. If you are only planning to carry those two weapons and are going to put upgrades into your suit/stasis later, it's probably fine. If you regret putting those nodes on your Cutter, you can take them off at a bench for 5000 IIRC. I did something similiar because I pretty much only used the Cutter, Pulse, and occasionally the Javelin on my first playthrough.

You are talking about Dead Space 2, correct?

DubiousAtBest on
  • Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been avoiding this thread due to lack of interest, and also in the off chance that I decided, on my limited budget, to buy a copy of Dead space 2 I wanted to avoid spoilers.

So...

I bought Dead Space 2 earlier this afternoon. I haven't played it yet. When I get home from work I'm going to turn all the lights off, burn one down and start up the game with my new Turtle Beach head set.

In short, non-spoiler reponses, will I enjoy this game as much as the first? I had a great time with Dead Space, but I haven't played it in forever. I haven't read any reviews or seen ANY coverage on this, except for the "Your mom hates Dead Space 2" commercials.

THANKS!!!!!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    I've been avoiding this thread due to lack of interest, and also in the off chance that I decided, on my limited budget, to buy a copy of Dead space 2 I wanted to avoid spoilers.

So...

I bought Dead Space 2 earlier this afternoon. I haven't played it yet. When I get home from work I'm going to turn all the lights off, burn one down and start up the game with my new Turtle Beach head set.

In short, non-spoiler reponses, will I enjoy this game as much as the first? I had a great time with Dead Space, but I haven't played it in forever. I haven't read any reviews or seen ANY coverage on this, except for the "Your mom hates Dead Space 2" commercials.

THANKS!!!!!

It isn't as scary as 1, but the gameplay has been improved.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited February 2011

So...

THANKS!!!!!

short answer? yes.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited February 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »

That was my first guess when the trailer and such hit, like "Oh I wonder if these are the 'rest' of the rhyme" but after hearing the whole thing I thought it was so laughably bad they must have been the product of video game writers. Guess I was wrong.

DS2 Serious Spoilers beat the game first:
    I would have found the Nicole thing far more compelling if:

1. The hallucinations were all like the one in the elevator, creepy yet somewhat understated as opposed to attacking you in brightly lit rooms. The game teaches you to fear vents, but having her just be there, melting out of the shadows when it's too dark to be absolutely sure you didn't see her there a second ago?

2. If Nicole kept her fucking mouth shut or had her dialogue limited to "Who am I, Isaac?" and only that, besides the elevator rhyme/weird groaning thing - which I did think was cool, I'll admit, because of the extra ambience. Giving us all the answers is boring, especially when it comes straight from the monster's mouth.

3. If they had just ensured Nicole was more unpredictable by not giving it away with shit like the horsey-room, and really pushed the idea that Isaac really was going bananas, hunted by an unknowable, alien, malicious part of his psyche that didn't explain itself or communicate because fuck you Isaac I'm here to drive you crazy and only to drive you crazy and you'll never be sure why and things get more and more fucked up and out of hand, then the Nicole thing would have been cool.

Honestly, the Prothean Beacon message in ME did a better job of making me extremely uneasy because you could never be sure what you were looking at or hearing, except for unsettling noises and some weird combination of stripped wires, things that looked like dental tools, and what could be flesh but "oh god nothing is where it should be why are there wires sticking out like extracted veins oh jesus." The thing was freaky because it was completely alien and they made no attempt to really make it into something a human could understand.

To be frank, the eye poke machine was a bit of a let-down, too. I mean yeah, realizing what I had to do was awesome and really cool the first time. I don't want a whole shitload of Gorn or anything, and I'm sure they didn't want to tempt an AO rating, but Isaac should have been straining against the restraints and freaking the fuck out. Terrified men shriek just like terrified women do, once panic and horror get the better of them.

Again, I loved this game, and the idea of the universe if not the execution. I still have a blast playing it - it's a ton of fun and I think it's a must buy if you like horror at all. That's why I'm so critical. I feel like my first born qualified for a full scholarship to Harvard and he decided "Fuck it." and went to DeVry instead.

Szechuan on
    edited February 2011

So...

THANKS!!!!!

I enjoyed it more than the first, but for completely different reasons. The strengths of the two games are really apples and oranges, though the aim controls in both are excellent.

Szechuan on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

That was my first guess when the trailer and such hit, like "Oh I wonder if these are the 'rest' of the rhyme" but after hearing the whole thing I thought it was so laughably bad they must have been the product of video game writers. Guess I was wrong.

1. The hallucinations were all like the one in the elevator, creepy yet somewhat understated as opposed to attacking you in brightly lit rooms. The game teaches you to fear vents, but having her just be there, melting out of the shadows when it's too dark to be absolutely sure you didn't see her there a second ago?

2. If Nicole kept her fucking mouth shut or had her dialogue limited to "Who am I, Isaac?" and only that, besides the elevator rhyme/weird groaning thing - which I did think was cool, I'll admit, because of the extra ambience. Giving us all the answers is boring, especially when it comes straight from the monster's mouth.

3. If they had just ensured Nicole was more unpredictable by not giving it away with shit like the horsey-room, and really pushed the idea that Isaac really was going bananas, hunted by an unknowable, alien, malicious part of his psyche that didn't explain itself or communicate because fuck you Isaac I'm here to drive you crazy and only to drive you crazy and you'll never be sure why and things get more and more fucked up and out of hand, then the Nicole thing would have been cool.

Honestly, the Prothean Beacon message in ME did a better job of making me extremely uneasy because you could never be sure what you were looking at or hearing, except for unsettling noises and some weird combination of stripped wires, things that looked like dental tools, and what could be flesh but "oh god nothing is where it should be why are there wires sticking out like extracted veins oh jesus." The thing was freaky because it was completely alien and they made no attempt to really make it into something a human could understand.

To be frank, the eye poke machine was a bit of a let-down, too. I mean yeah, realizing what I had to do was awesome and really cool the first time. I don't want a whole shitload of Gorn or anything, and I'm sure they didn't want to tempt an AO rating, but Isaac should have been straining against the restraints and freaking the fuck out. Terrified men shriek just like terrified women do, once panic and horror get the better of them.

Again, I loved this game, and the idea of the universe if not the execution. I still have a blast playing it - it's a ton of fun and I think it's a must buy if you like horror at all. That's why I'm so critical. I feel like my first born qualified for a full scholarship to Harvard and he decided "Fuck it." and went to DeVry instead.
    Nicole's dialogue once you're on the Ishimura was pretty creepy, especially the "You never did find my body" bit

But yeah that first elevator hallucination is the worst D:

Green on
    edited February 2011
    Green wrote: »

Nicole's dialogue once you're on the Ishimura was pretty creepy, especially the "You never did find my body" bit

But yeah that first elevator hallucination is the worst D:

Not if you have subtitles on
    The subtitles appear BEFORE she does so the effect is completely ruined.

I absolutely agree about the Ishimura level though. I also liked the last couple "hostile" hallucinations where she asks "Who am I?", especially when she warns you that you only have one more chance.

My second time through I deliberately failed the mash X where Isaac says that Nicole was his everything. If you don't hit X, Isaac says "You aren't real. You can't hurt me."

All Nicole says is "Wrong" and then you hear a crunch.

gjaustin on
    edited February 2011
    nicole is really the combination of isaac's subconscious guilt and the marker's remaining influence

it makes sense that she'd be talkative; many schizophrenics hear voices that are quite lucid

i actually respect her more because the developers DIDN'T use her as just another frightening boogeyman. she IS going to show up in bright places because nowhere is safe from your own mind.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aumni wrote: »

So...

THANKS!!!!!

It isn't as scary as 1, but the gameplay has been improved.
    I think it's almost scarier. But I do agree that the gameplay has been improved.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Totally copypasta'd the OP again

Let me know if anyone wants to contribute to it :P

adytum on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought DS 2 was scarier, but for me the station was just a scarier locale, especially some of the early chapters. They told a better story of what went on, and it ratcheted up the fear for me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Like the needle part. One of my best friends suffers schizophrenia and that happens whenever it damn well pleases. She told me a lot of the stuff that Isaac suffers in DS2 can be quite reminiscence; which is why she can't play it (it exacerbates her issues waaaay too much). And the reason why some of those "not real" things can hurt you? Because your conscious mind is blocking the reality but replacing with something else. The needle could've been a pen, broken toenail or own finger.

So yeah, definitely agree with curly haired boy. Developers seem to have done some investigation into it, it's just too bad people aren't more aware of how debilitating schizophrenia can be. Has nothing to do with sunlight or dark places; all about emotions and mental disability.

DracoGriffin on