As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mobile Device Applications for PAX East 2011

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
I came across this today and thought id share. It looks insanely useful and comes on iphone/android/blackberry appstores.

http://imswift.com/apps/

Edit:
Changing the thread title so the thread is multi purpose.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Awesome..gonna check it out on my lunch break.

Rdr on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if we'll get a conventionist app update for east.

http://www.conventionist.com/?redir=plabs

I was quite tickled with it at prime.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • PascualPascual Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's not half bad. The nearby points of interest thing is useful. I think using this in conjunction with the conventionist app would be perfect.

Pascual on
    edited January 2011
    There will be a PAX Assistant 2011. It was a hit at Prime I heard and Wil tweeted about it. For the East one it will have my Hitchhiker' Guide to PAX East in there as well.

AppBrain Market Link
    http://www.nickswar.com/ (official page)

Rdr on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yay. I was really hoping there would be. That thing was awesome.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • ProximaProxima Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys we will be there, probably in person as well. We run The Conventionist (www.conventionist.com) and have been in talks with Rob to have a good presence at the con. Android + iPhone this time, and a ton of new features.

See you all there, and be sure to let us know of anything you'd like to see on the app prior to the con.

Proxima on
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know a large handful of people with the Window 7 phone who would love to get a convention app they can use.

Lady Lilybell on
    5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
    edited January 2011
    I know a large handful of people with the Window 7 phone who would love to get a convention app they can use.

Its on our roadmap, but unfortunately won't be ready for PAX. We're working on it! :)

Proxima on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Proxima wrote: »
    Guys we will be there, probably in person as well. We run The Conventionist (www.conventionist.com) and have been in talks with Rob to have a good presence at the con. Android + iPhone this time, and a ton of new features.

See you all there, and be sure to let us know of anything you'd like to see on the app prior to the con.

I love conventionist!
    Last years for prime was awesome :D

My suggestion would be a cached map search for nearby things, like food. That was the only reason I had to leave the app during the show last year.

BigRed on
  • 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Likey. Works great on EVO. Map only comes up as a grid, though. Most likely I'm doing something wrong.

As a tech, I always blame myself before the software.

61Ranchero on
  • 3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

When/where will I be able to get the iOS app?

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    3ricG wrote: »

When/where will I be able to get the iOS app?

You should be able to get it right now. They will have an in-app download for the pax 2011 info around pax time.

BigRed on
  • kc0mlpkc0mlp Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Looks pretty cool on android, thanks for the tip!

kc0mlp on
    -Don't try and pronounce KC0MLP, just call me KC
    -√(-1) 2³ ∑(π)
  • jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am writing an app for windows phone 7. Anyone has a dev unlocked phone and would like to beta it can mail me :) (Unlikely to reach the same levels of functionality as conventionist, sadly).

jacalata on

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just downloaded conventionist for iOS, looks pretty cool!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
    edited February 2011
    What do you mean by the maps show up in 'grid view'?

In any case, the app is available now...there will be a fairly large update coming before pax with a bunch of new features, but you can play around with any of the other available guides if you want until then.

As with Prime, the PAX East guide will show up around a week before the event.

Enjoy!

Proxima on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    There will be a PAX Assistant 2011. It was a hit at Prime I heard and Wil tweeted about it. For the East one it will have my Hitchhiker' Guide to PAX East in there as well.

AppBrain Market Link
    http://www.nickswar.com/ (official page)

I loved the PAX Assistant App for Prime. I'll most certainly be using it for East as well.

ransim on
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone actually heard from nick if he is developing it?

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    edited February 2011

In any case, the app is available now...there will be a fairly large update coming before pax with a bunch of new features, but you can play around with any of the other available guides if you want until then.

Enjoy!

The MyBCEC app "Nearby" feature loads into Google maps but only loads the locations of nearby restaurants, hotels, etc. There's no street information loading, just the background "grid". Not really a "grid view" I guess just no detail information on the map.

61Ranchero on
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Enjoy!

I tried viewing the PAX Prime guide in the conventionist app and I get a force close every time I try to view the guide.
    I've got an HTC Evo.
    I'm going to try another guide and see if its just when I try to view that specific guide.
    EDIT: the Online Marketing Summit '11 guide seems to work fine. Only getting the force close on the PAX Prime guide. Hopefully that means when PAX East one goes up it will work fine for me.

lillb on
    edited February 2011
    lillb wrote: »

Enjoy!

I tried viewing the PAX Prime guide in the conventionist app and I get a force close every time I try to view the guide.
    I've got an HTC Evo.
    I'm going to try another guide and see if its just when I try to view that specific guide.
    EDIT: the Online Marketing Summit '11 guide seems to work fine. Only getting the force close on the PAX Prime guide. Hopefully that means when PAX East one goes up it will work fine for me.

I'm getting the force close error on my EVO as well.

61Ranchero on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Enjoy!

I've got an HTC Evo.

yeah, i'm getting a force close on the pax prime guide as well on my droid 2, but albuquerque comic con works fine. looks like a really great app, can't wait for the pax east guide to go up!

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited February 2011
    contrefait wrote: »

Yea I am in contact with him via email and he's gonna be doing it for East.

Rdr on
  • nickswarnickswar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I can confirm that Rdr is correct! :^:

nickswar on
    edited February 2011
    nickswar wrote: »

I can confirm that Rdr is correct! :^:

Hooray.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been using Bump lately for contact info sharing...that get used much the last few PAX's?

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • TyphojdTyphojd Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I been using bump quite a bit too - also i keep trying iCloseby aslo known as ifob (although it's rarely running on any local networks i access)

Typhojd on
    edited February 2011

Enjoy!

I've got an HTC Evo.

Ah, yeah, that is because we've made changes to the app since Prime but haven't updated the guide to be compatible... we'll update tomorrow so you can get an idea of what it will look like for East.

Proxima on
    edited February 2011
    Could you guys investigate adding the move to SD card option to the Conventionist? I have limited internal memory on my Nexus One so the move to SD card option is always appreciated.

512 MB is not nearly enough.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    edited February 2011
    Could you guys investigate adding the move to SD card option to the Conventionist? I have limited internal memory on my Nexus One so the move to SD card option is always appreciated.

I will talk to the team about it. Good idea

Proxima on
    edited February 2011

I will talk to the team about it. Good idea

Awesome. Thanks.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    edited February 2011

Enjoy!

I've got an HTC Evo.

Ah, yeah, that is because we've made changes to the app since Prime but haven't updated the guide to be compatible... we'll update tomorrow so you can get an idea of what it will look like for East.
    Thanks, deleted the guide today and redownloaded it and it worked fine. Looks like a great tool to help me get organized for PAX and keep me on track once I'm there. Can't wait til the PAX East guide goes up.

lillb on
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thread is a big help, I downloaded both the Aps mentioned.

FireWater on
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i'm loving the conventionist and the BCEC apps. I dont knwo why the reveiws for the BCEC one says its horrible. i love it.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm downloading Conventionist now. Hopefully I'll get to play around with it a little before East. I'm assuming it has a schedule of all the events, and you can select which ones you'd like to attend to make your own personal con-schedule? Can you add in your own events? Like if I am judging a D&D Encounters game from 4-5 on Friday, can I add that in myself?

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited February 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    I'm downloading Conventionist now. Hopefully I'll get to play around with it a little before East. I'm assuming it has a schedule of all the events, and you can select which ones you'd like to attend to make your own personal con-schedule? Can you add in your own events? Like if I am judging a D&D Encounters game from 4-5 on Friday, can I add that in myself?

I know you can add your own items to a Todo list, but I'm I don't think you can add events with a reminder. The scheduled events can all be added to your schedule and set to remind you to go to them.

lillb on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    flatline wrote: »

I know you can add your own items to a Todo list, but I'm I don't think you can add events with a reminder. The scheduled events can all be added to your schedule and set to remind you to go to them.

Yeah, I was hoping I could add custom events to the "My Events" schedule, so I don't forget when or where I need to be somewhere to DM a game, or so I could add in the Pre-PAX Gaming Night, etc.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • e-lue-lu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's the ETA on PAX East updates for the Conventionist and PAX Assistant Apps? Obviously the con is still weeks away, but my anticipation is getting the better of me.

Can't wait to familiarize myself with the apps so I can be a PAX ninja.

e-lu on
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was actually wondering the same thing. Gotta get a PAX Plan for booth stalk.... I mean visiting.

FireWater on
  • ShaydeShayde Kitchen Staff Supervisor MargaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't know if it has been mentioned, but there's a Munchkin score counter app and a Zombie Dice app for the iPhone/iPad.

The Zombie Dice is awesome because it can have computer controlled opponents if you don't have friends at hand. It's the whole game.

Shayde on
    Shayde

Ex-Agent to the Stars, ex a lot of other things too.
    Pax East 2011, 2012 Veteran. 2014 now loading.