As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A magpie stole my thread!

Dances With MagpiesDances With Magpies Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hey everyone! My husband has been a regular to the PA forums (not PA:AC) for a few years and he suggested I post some arts here. So far this is a fun place and everyone has been great.
A little bit about me: I'm a mom of two boys, I work full-time as the ad designer for a small weekly newspaper and I'm an online student at the Academy of Art University, working towards an Illustration degree.
I'm slowly trying to work outside my comfort zone so I can improve, my ultimate goal is to make my art my day job. On to the art!

This is a thumbnail I did at work the other day, two things I'm not used to: sci-fi and backgrounds. I was playing with different placements of her right arm, still haven't decided what I want to do with it yet.
Downtime.jpg

This started from another thumbnail I did at work and then enlarged. I'm not sure what to do with her arms, I don't really like the box they form, it draws attention there and that's not where I want it. Maybe I should have her holding a staff? Her bottom half is supposed to look like a deer.
forest_empress.jpg

These are just some sketches in my small moleskine.
elf_girl.jpgSerene_Winds.jpg

Dances With Magpies on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Your sketches are nice, you have a great sense of form and your lines flow wonderfully. What sort of work would you like to do if you would become an artist for a living? Illustration is a broad category. If you want to get out of your comfort zone, looking at the industries you are considering and seeing what top artists there are doing is a good way to know where to go with your art.

For your forest lady arms, a photo of yourself or a mirror might help you work out a few poses before settling on what to do.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Your sketches are nice, you have a great sense of form and your lines flow wonderfully. What sort of work would you like to do if you would become an artist for a living? Illustration is a broad category. If you want to get out of your comfort zone, looking at the industries you are considering and seeing what top artists there are doing is a good way to know where to go with your art.

For your forest lady arms, a photo of yourself or a mirror might help you work out a few poses before settling on what to do.

Thanks!
    There are so many things I want to do, but I know its better to focus on one or two to be successful. I haven't quite decided on whether I want to do concept art (doesn't everyone?), or something along the lines of what Wizards of the Coast publishes.

Dances With Magpies on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    You don't have to choose one thing and then only do that, but its nice to keep the goals in mind so you are working in the right direction.

I hope you keep posting. People might be more inclined to comment on some slightly more finished stuff if you are looking for where to go next with your work.

Iruka on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Your lines have a great flow to them, but are more importantly built on a solid foundation. Post mooore.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love your moleskine doodle. Especially with the feathers. Just reminds me how much farther I have to go :(

ninjai on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is some nice stuff.
    The second pic seems a bit eery anatomy-wise, but i'd love to see some more of your drawings.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks everyone!
    Here's a few more arts...

This one was a rough design sketch for a character in my friend's novel. Unfortunately this is the only one I was able to do, he moved to another city and isn't very good about keeping in touch, hehe. Spring-heel Jack is his name. I was trying to make it look like his feet were withered and deformed, not sure I really achieved that.
    Spring-Heel_Jack.jpg

This is one I finished up last week.
    Mystique.jpg

And this is one I'm currently working on, figured I'd show a bit here...
    Medusa_WIP.jpg

Dances With Magpies on
  • Options
    Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really like the variation you put in your forms. It's not just the same lady with horns, you've really got a unique face on each one!

Michael Vox on
  • Options
    devilkindevilkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The spring heel jack is awesome looking, very steampunk.

devilkin on
    I give men dreams, and men are led by their dreams.

Stick Figure Serials Comic Blog
    http://stickfigureserials.blogspot.com/