As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

look at this here collage i made

2»

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Your'e American? You picked an American flag to show that. Its a loaded image (its got a whole shitload of baggage attached to it, like a historical tendency of invading smaller countries like iran, guatemala, cuba, congo, brazil, indonesia, vietnam, laos, cambodia, greece, chile, afghanistan, el salvador, guatemala (again), nicaragua, iraq. ). Then you say "there isnt much I can do about that"

Then pick something else. All of your american heritige is summed up in a flag? Comon. Thats just fucking lazy. Prominent Symbols of America right off the top of my head: the KKK, McDonald's, Hooters and "Red Cup" parties, guitars, 9/11, old white politicians, etc etc. I'm sure if you sat down for 5 minuets, you could come up with a hundred better things to use then a stupid flag.

I'm from Canada, but hey... thanks for proving your ignorance.
    Apparently you didn't understand a single word I said other then "china".

and off the record, I would probobly say exactly what you just said to a dumb american bugger who used an american flag in his stupid collage. Because all those sterotypes you just wrote, ARE better then a stupid flag.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I understand your point that the Chinese flag can stand for more than communism, but there is a perception that surrounds the symbolism behind it which you can't seem to get over. Furthermore, you attack ppl whom you asked to critique your work on charges of ignorance when you yourself fall in the very ignorance you claim to be outraged about.
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Your'e American? You picked an American flag to show that.

As a Hispanic, every time I hear a guy from the US say, "I'm from America", I get a little angry because the USA is not America, it's in America, but it does not represent the entire Continent and this so called American Culture sure as heck doesn't represent but 1/10 of the cultures in America.

Just as you attack Toji on his ignorance, you are now guilty of being ignorant yourself. But can this be helped? No, my friend, this is what is called perception! That is your perception of America and I will respect it, even though it's not correct. Why can’t you respect that we get a communist vibe from your flag?

If you were serious about this design, you'd think of a way to correct this! Flags don't represent countries, as you mentioned before, they hold a symbolism much deeper than that. A good designer understands the perception of all the elements he's using in his composition, especially something as volitile as political /economical symbols like flags.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    I identify with China - which, incidentally, is most commonly represented with a flag. A Chinese flag.
    You're kidding? There's way more to a country than it's flag. You're clearly not thinking this through. That's just lazyness. Surely if you force yourself into a little brainstorming session like Gibs suggested, you can come up with better idea than the Chinese flag, which, like or not, hold a certain symbolism that is associated to communism. It's not about being racist or anything like that - it's just a fact.

I won't repeat what has already been mentionned, but geez... Get past your frustration and take the time to think a little more about this.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, at this point I'm just going to be working on something from scratch, because salvaging this particular piece is going to be difficult and not really worth it.

But, much thanks for the responses guys, even if I didn't take it very well. emot-v.gif

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As a Hispanic, every time I hear a guy from the US say, "I'm from America", I get a little angry because the USA is not America, it's in America, but it does not represent the entire Continent and this so called American Culture sure as heck doesn't represent but 1/10 of the cultures in America.

Culturally, I am sure most Americans (from the USA), are using 'America' as a term for their country, not as a reference to North and South America. America is simply a way to shorten it. Calm down. It isn't like we all go around saying "IM FROM AMERICA MCDONALDS AND DEMOCRACY REPRESENTES BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH AMERICA". Get a grip.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    You're as big of a consumer whore as anyone else, MT.

bombardier on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    You're as big of a consumer whore as anyone else, MT.

Pffft, obviously! But I'm not talking about consumerism, I'm talking about perception. In this case, the perception of a name vs what that name really entails as a tool to compare what we were previously discussing with Jin on how ppl pick up a Communist vibe from his flag, despite the fact that he defends it as conveying more meaning.

EDIT:

I think that the point I was trying to make on ethnicity and it's perception has been missed... or perhaps I'm not as eloquent as I'd like. In all seriousness, Forbe, read the paragraph following the one you quoted, then it might not seem like I hate the world. Don't quote that one paragraph out of context.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I never said you hate the world. I don't agree with your comparison at all for the point you are trying to make.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png