As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 2-9-11: "I didn't come all this way just ta play kissy-face!"

MunchMunch Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Graphic Violence
From Haunt #13, where Robert Kirkman once more trolls the comic industry.
HauntREBELSCovers.jpg

It should be pointed out that Haunt was a slim 14 pages, while REBELS was 20. Which actually worked out well for the story, as it was basically just one of those place-setting issues. I think it's better to put out a smaller, cheaper comic, than bloat it up with story pages that are ultimately unnecessary. I wouldn't mind if more comics did it, truthfully.

From REBELS #26; Vril Dox is kidnapped, Starro reveals his secret weapon, Lobo shakes off his defeat at the hands of Stormdaughter, and a rescue mission is launched.
Previously, the base-minded Lobo had been overwhelmed by the Czarnian pheromones worn by Stormdaughter, allowing her to get close enough to sap his life-force. This time, Lobo's prepared.

REBELS26-1.jpg

REBELS26-2.jpg

Look, you guys know I hate gore and viscera in my funnybooks. But this? This felt so satisfying. Because for the entire length of this series, this stupid character's been popping up to basically fuck everything up for the heroes. Good guys have Starro on the ropes? She teleports in and heals him back to full strength. Despero about to execute Starro for genocide? She shows up and rescues him. Lobo, the established badass of the DCU confronts her? She takes him out in a page. So, for her to get so ignoble and anticlimactic a death, is just wonderful. Plus, she had a dumb origin story.

I really hope it's not a fake-out, and she's magically alive next issue.

From Secret Warriors #24, in which Fury assembles a new team.
313kwgo.jpg

This, and another two-page character piece in the issue, both seem like they'll tie back into Shield, when that book relaunches. I have to say though, I had some problems with the issue itself, which I'll put in the Bitching Thread.

From X-Factor #215; X-Factor gets in on the vampire craze, but doesn't, Jamie asks a very important question, and Layla Miller doesn't know stuff.
r2sxts.jpg

I just love that Jamie has an aspect that's all hard-boiled.

From Deadpool Team-Up #885; Hellcow and Deadpool team up, and Deadpool breaks the fourth wall in a way more literal than usual.
Deadpool is fighting a guy that just became a giant tumor, from trying to absorb Wade's healing factor. Suddenly, another Deadpool appears.

DeadpoolTeamUp885-1.jpg

Deadpool accidentally takes Hellcow out into the sun, where she burns into a single, crisp hamburger patty. Heartbroken, he decides to fix his mistake.

DeadpoolTeamUp885-2.jpg

I thought it was a really neat little meta joke.

Also, sorry about the crummy scans. Unless I scan directly to an image editing program, they come out kinda funny lookin'. But doing it that way takes longer, and you should probably be buying all these books anyway.

Munch on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The scans are just fine, brah.

Can you tell how much of Haunt is now Kirkman, and is McFarlane is just in the backseat like Bendis was "in name only" for the first few issues of Secret Warriors?

I'm borrowing these from Scans_Daily, but Tomasi does a callback to his Nightwing run with the boys club in B&R #20:

br20a.jpg

Damian is probably texting Batgirl or Ravager.

br20b.jpg

br20c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    1.99 and that's still over priced for that book.

My moment of the week is Ostrander's Suicide Squad vol 1 hitting.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Can you tell how much of Haunt is now Kirkman, and is McFarlane is just in the backseat like Bendis was "in name only" for the first few issues of Secret Warriors?
    Ehhh, I'd say it's like 90/10 Kirkman/McFarlane. The basic idea feels very McFarlane-y. Stop me if you've heard this one: A military man dies and leaves his wife behind, but comes back from the grave as a supernatural force to continue killing the Hell out of people. Also, he kind of looks like Spider-Man.

But the requisite gore, super-secret government group that the protagonist joins up with, and excessive exposition are all hallmarks of Kirkman's writing.

That said, there's a lot to like about it. Even with Ottley no longer drawing it, it has a very Ottley-as-inked-by-McFarlane look to it. The villains are intensely likable. The hero had kind of an Irredeemable Ant-Man thing in the early issues, where he was a total douche, which was fun to read. And the whole thing is basically monsters + military black ops, and is played in an appropriately ridiculous manner.

Munch on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, having recently followed Larsen and Kirkman on Twitter, it seems like all they ever talk about is bitching about the Big Two.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My MOTW is the same thing that TexiKen posted. I really enjoyed Tomasi's run on Nightwing before they ended the series. Hoping for more of that now that he's taken over B&R.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kirkman and Larsen do rag on the Big 2 a lot, true. At the same time, I like that they're both pretty prolific, and doing things I dig. Kirkman's being really active in trying to get new people into comics, with The Walking Dead Weekly, same-day digital distribution for Invincible and TWD, and his upcoming all-ages Super Dinosaur comic.

Larsen's a grumpy dude, but seems to genuinely love comics as a medium. He just can't seem to accept some of the changes that have gone on with Big 2 characters he cares about, which I think most fans can identify with.

Also, I bought the first TBP of True Story, Swear to God, by Tom Beland. I'd picked up a few issues in the past, and really enjoyed Beland's Marvel work, so when I saw it for 40% off at my LCS, I nabbed it. And dang, it is just adorable. For those unaware, it's all about how Beland had a chance meeting with the woman that would become his wife, and how their relationship progressed from there. Beland's cartooning is really reminiscent of Colleen Coover's in how smooth and fluid the line-work is. But the faces remind me a lot of Phil Foglio's art.

It's hard to explain what's so endearing about it, but if you're in the mood for a romantic comic for Valentine's Day, pick it up. It's adorable. Here's an example of his art, from his site.
    30m1k6q.gif

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hope we see another Superman interaction in B&R too, as that was another of my favorite parts from Tomasi's Nightwing. And I don't think I've seen Gleason draw Superman yet, and kind of want to see if he makes it similar to his buddy Mahnke.

edit: Beland's art is very nice and I see the Coover similarities, and amazed at the restraint to not post the Booster Gold and Blue Beetle piece he did. I'm going to keep an eye out for his work now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Gleason is really one of the best artists working today. I love his work. Draws the best Aquaman ever.

Also, Super-Dinosaur looks fantastic, I cannot wait for it. I enjoy Kirkman's writing, but his penchant for extreme gore to the point of excess turns me off. Since it's a children's book, I don't have to worry about it.

Also I love Dinosaurs.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My motw was probably Batman and Robin because of the amazing Gleason art...

but in other news, Batgirl was unusually good, at least in my opinion. I actually laughed out loud at a few things.
    tumblr_lgdhkiEiZf1qcaee5o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1297401647&Signature=I%2FvjhWK3a8JGgNEaNLJPXLIwLRc%3D

Tairu on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Batgirl is rarely ever not good

Furu on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    Batgirl is rarely ever not good

Unusually excellent?

It was a really good one-shot story. The mid-book art shift was really cool and clashed perfectly with the tone of the story.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Onslaught Unleashed #1 - Gravity gets the best new power ever
    2wgr582.jpg

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I like that art. Reminds me a bit of Steve Uy.

Munch on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm borrowing these from Scans_Daily, but Tomasi does a callback to his Nightwing run with the boys club in B&R #20:

br20a.jpg

br20b.jpg

br20c.jpg

Oh holy shit. Tex, that is glorious

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I know right? Yeah it would have been nice is Cass was there, even Babs, but a fun scene is a fun scene (and I liked how Dick is still the right hand to Bruce).

How much of Onslaught Unleashed is Young Allies compared to Secret Avengers. That art reminds me of Carlos Meglia.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm not going to quantify something silly like that. Just buy the damn thing.

Furu on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'll buy the TPB, I'd love to read it now and the art is fantastic, but I really am closing in on having to buy another long box. I have the space but I really just don't feel like committing to it now, since I know I'll be moving in another year.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I don't see how it's silly. I like Young Allies, but don't really care for the Secret Avengers. This being McKeever I hoped it would be more YA centric, but if this is more along the lines of the wacky kids in their [strike]Mystery Machine[/strike] Datsun getting into trouble then I'll pass.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Considering it's McKeever I don't see how it matters if you don't like the characters if you like the writer

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    McKeever isn't at that level of "buy no matter what" with me.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    look if you care about the characters then this and the avengers academy giant are the only places they're appearing

Furu on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

br20a.jpg

br20b.jpg

br20c.jpg

Oh holy shit. Tex, that is glorious

Yeah that is pretty rad

Solar on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MOTW's gotta be Carnage #3's ending, where the book went from actually pretty cool to hilariously redonkulous.
    After being flown in Earth's orbit and torn in half by the Sentry, Carnage/Cletus Kasady's body was recovered by a big evil corporation, who used the Carnage symbiote to make prosthetic limbs.

The symbiote eventually breaks loose and starts tearing across the city to one of the corporation's holding facilities. It's revealed the symbiote is after Cletus Kasady, alive and well and equipped with a shiny new prosthetic lower torso.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really, really hope they keep the current direction with Bruce/Batman. I like a semi well adjusted Bruce who recognizes and actually embraces the people around him.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Another page from B&R #20, showing Gordon teaching Damian some respect:
    br20d.jpg

And Emerald Warriors #7, a big fight issue but moves the story forward, we also see that if Hal and Guy fight in War of the Green Lanterns Guy should kick his butt no problem (will Johns allow that though....)

glew7a.jpg

That's Yat with the snake in his nose, now making him be under Zardor's control and not Krona's.

glew7b.jpg

I guess Guy was hungry for eyescream hyuck hyuck.

The new Cinderella Fables mini is also a fun read incorporating Wizard of Oz fables, and Heroes for Hire had a goof Paladin/Iron Fist fight scene (here he's in his lilly white outfit as opposed to ASM)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ha, nice use of an ice cream scooper.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ha, nice use of an ice cream scooper.

Eye scream scoop, ha ha

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates (Tony got knocked in the head at the end of the previous arc, which helped his tumor resurface). The issue feels a lot more like Millar(Ultimates 1/2).
    nulvua1.png

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hands down, the Moment of the Week is in Heroes for Hire 3.

Moon Knight is investigating a Caveman-themed nightclub when he discovers a group of enslaved Savage Land natives:
    RP4xM.jpg
    hHU6V.jpg
    CdhRm.jpg
    Note that the third image comes after a fight between Paladin and Iron Fist which Brad Walker draws the hell out of.

Power Man and Iron Fist was also fantastic, very fun buddy-cop book. Victor is a smart-ass and Danny is going to slap a bitch soon.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If Danny slaps Victors I will be a happy man

But yeah I really want to pick up Heroes for Hire, shame I'm nowhere near a comics store.

Moon Knight fighting Dinosaurs and Iron Fist in the same book? Hell yes!

Solar on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The image of the raptor busting out of the door reminds me of one of the final scenes of Jurassic Park.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The image of the raptor busting out of the door reminds me of one of the final scenes of Jurassic Park.

Damnit I was just posting that!

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone when Ult. Spidey and Ult. Avengers/New Uktimates take place concerning one another?

Algertman on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the only thing I think we know for sure is around 156/157 and Ultimate Avengers Vs New Ultimates 3 take place at the same time.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to pretend this is the regular DCU

wed2.jpg

Why do you resist this, DC?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Because

33ufl2x.jpg

Solar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I always thought Selina/Bruce worked better than Wonderwoman/Batman.

Algertman on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's the Bat God...he can have both.

And Talia too, and bang Lois on the side behind Supermans back.

Cade on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Damnit I was just posting that!

Wasn't that the point? It was in a locked freezer, in a kitchen ...

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another page from B&R #20, showing Gordon teaching Damian some respect:
    br20d.jpg

I hope the inevitable follow-up to this goes:

"Get out."

"Make me."

One panel of closed door to morgue/office/whatever. Next panel, same door open, Damien walking out, either looking dejected or as though he's coming to terms with a sudden realization of his own incorrectness in that particular situation.

And we never find out what Gordon said or did.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png