As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll buy that for a dollar! : Stuff you can buy at PAX East

• IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MTSonic11 wrote: »
    I really wanted the Behemoth's PAXE shirt, but completely forgot about it until it was too late, oops. This year I'll buy everything I want the first day to not miss out.

Yeah, I wanted that too! But we went to the PA merch stand (yay scarf - made my husband happy) and by the time I realized Behemoth's booth had that amazing shirt...all gone. I would have bought that instead of my "official" PAXe one. Still, I will definitely be standing in that PA merch line as early as possible again this year. I want my own scarf/other really unique item!

If I recall correctly, one of the many reasons they ran out of scarves so early last year was due to production error: some of them were so damaged that they were unsellable.

Ixmasat on
  • CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not certain if it was you Foam Brain, but someone had a box of loose dice that you could grab a cup of. I still use the cup I got last time for our magic tournaments - WOTC looooves those counters.

For people wondering what to buy, my coworker purchased a customer solid-wood gaming table from a furniture maker, and runs D&D campaigns on it. I personally bought a SNES Mechwarrior 3050 cartridge in box with manual for $10, so some of the deals were pretty nice. Just get there quickly.

For local companies, Pandemonium should be there again. They have a good selection of board games and tabletop games, and if you want to visit their main store they're close by in Cambridge.

Cabadrin on
    e2TtnRd.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone remember if there were any vendors with Pokemon cards last year? My son has gotten into them in the past year and I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a few while I'm there as a surprise to bring home with me.

I'm already trying to tuck money away for this year - last year I didn't buy much just a few CDs and a copy of Pokemon HeartGold...this year I want to bring some more stuff home.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone remember if there were any vendors with Pokemon cards last year? My son has gotten into them in the past year and I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a few while I'm there as a surprise to bring home with me.

There were people selling booster packs, if I recall. There was a vendor in the exhibition hall with pretty much every TCG ever.

Regiment on
    I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Regiment wrote: »

There were people selling booster packs, if I recall. There was a vendor in the exhibition hall with pretty much every TCG ever.

Which generation are we talking about? If these are the originals, I am bringing a box and sweeping them out.

RainbowTunnel on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Which generation are we talking about? If these are the originals, I am bringing a box and sweeping them out.

What does that mean?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i'm guessing it means the same as cleaning them out.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
    edited February 2011

I think it was the more recent sets, but darned if I remember. I haven't collected the things in years. (Although I need to get ahold of that jumbo promo Darkrai & Crescent Moon Legendary That I Can't Spell Its Name Legend thing just for the artwork alone.)

Heh, I think the card store near(ish) my house has a sealed box of Fossil sitting around.

Regiment on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I meant cleaning them out, sorry.

And man, a whole box of Fossil? I'm so jelous. I have an unopened Base (or is it Basic?) booster pack in my room. I'm never opening that baby.

RainbowTunnel on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

And man, a whole box of Fossil? I'm so jelous. I have an unopened Base (or is it Basic?) booster pack in my room. I'm never opening that baby.

UUUFGH IT COULD HAVE A CHARIZARD IN IT AGBHGUOHUBHUOHG

It's like Schrodinger's Charizard. As long as you don't open the booster, it both is, and is not, a Charizard.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited February 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

UUUFGH IT COULD HAVE A CHARIZARD IN IT AGBHGUOHUBHUOHG

It's like Schrodinger's Charizard. As long as you don't open the booster, it both is, and is not, a Charizard.

I whole heartedly agree with your Schrodinger's comment.

That reminds me of a quick story to do with Charizards and booster packs:

So a few years back, I'm an innocent, unassuming little girl. I go to our local general store which happens to sell Pokemon cards. I've seen people go in and buy individual cards before (though looking back, I could be wrong), and I was, of course, burning to have my very own holographic Charizard.

I walk up to the cashier, a few dollars in hand, and ask them if I can buy a Charizard. The lady behind the counter tells me I can't buy a single card, but if I get a booster pack I might have some luck. So I do. It has a charizard on the cover, which to my little girl mind makes me think there's a better chance it has my Charizard enclosed.

I get back in the car, mystery booster pack in hand. I open it carefully, savoring the way it feels to tear the metalic material, craving to know what new wonders I now have, yet not wanting to be disappointed. I slide the cards out of their encasings.

Holographic Charizard. Right on top.

Best. Day. EVER.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited February 2011
    wow, well i will just have to counter that story with one of saddess.

so when i first got into pokemon cards, my best friend and I were sitting on the bed trading cards. now he had been the one to introduce me to pokemon and so he knew alot more about them at the time then i did.

you can see where this is going.

so i had in my collection a holographic charizard. i didnt think anything of it. i knew it was special cause it was holo but thats it. so my friend is telling me how this card he has is great and how he wins all his games with it. so of course we trade. he gets my holo charizard and i cant even remember what crappy card he gave me for it.

it was many years later that i realized what he had done and yelled at him for it. but we remain best friends and he was the best man in my wedding. so its all good. no use crying over.......I WANT MY CHARIZARD BACK! *runs off crying*

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
    edited February 2011
    That's awful Arcadia! Though I'm glad you're still best friends.

Actually there's a similar follow-up to my story....

After getting said holographic Charizard, my older sister convinced me in a very similar way to trade it to her. I very reluctantly agreed. Later on, I asked her to re-trade it because I missed it dearly, but she refused. So I stole it from her.

Then feeling guilty that I committed an immoral act, I traded it to my neighbor's older brother who gave me two cards - I forget which ones. I never saw it again.

However, my Japanese holographic dark Dragonite has found its way into my heart as my special card, partially filling the little hole that used to have Charizard in it. Also, if my sister were to trick me into trading my Charizard away today, I would have stolen it back again... and NOT felt guilty!

RainbowTunnel on
    edited February 2011
    Figured you would have given it back to her or held it for ransom at least. Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I'm an awful person.

RainbowTunnel on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    orsson wrote: »
    Z-Man Games and Steve Jackson Games both had booths last year. Both ran demos, which was great, and I know that Z-Man had some of their games on sale (for a discount!).

The two companies have produced some of the most popular and critically acclaimed board games in recent years, so it's definitely worth stopping by to take a look!

SJ Games didn't sell games out of their booth, but there was a booth directly across from them that had a full line of SJ games, as well as many other lines from other companies.

And, for SJ Games, don't forget to look in the open gaming section for MIBs with games that aren't in the booth to demo. If you were there last year, I showed quite a few of you out there how to play Munchkin and it's various forms. Same goes for Frag, Illuminati, and Chez Geek.

As for the person asking about Munchkin Quest:
    You need time for this one. Lots of time. It's Munchkin, but on a board, with a few extra rules thrown in to make it work. There was an expantion released last year which, thankfully, makes the game move a lot faster. Still, expect to spend a couple of hours on this one.
    Having said that, though, just because it's a longer game doesn't mean it's a bad game.
    I can't say I'll be able to attend yet (odds are still 50/50) but if I do, I'll bring it along.

Speaking of expantions, don't forget to look for them. Lots of games that were out last year have expantions to them, so take a minute to look around and see what's out there.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
    edited February 2011
    undead wrote: »
    SJ Games didn't sell games out of their booth, but there was a booth directly across from them that had a full line of SJ games, as well as many other lines from other companies.

The same booth gave you (tournament-legal) Munchkin bookmarks if you bought anything. They even had some of the original ones.

Regiment on
    edited February 2011
    Z-Man Games and Steve Jackson Games both had booths last year. Both ran demos, which was great, and I know that Z-Man had some of their games on sale (for a discount!).

The two companies have produced some of the most popular and critically acclaimed board games in recent years, so it's definitely worth stopping by to take a look!

And, for SJ Games, don't forget to look in the open gaming section for MIBs with games that aren't in the booth to demo. If you were there last year, I showed quite a few of you out there how to play Munchkin and it's various forms. Same goes for Frag, Illuminati, and Chez Geek.

As for the person asking about Munchkin Quest:
    You need time for this one. Lots of time. It's Munchkin, but on a board, with a few extra rules thrown in to make it work. There was an expantion released last year which, thankfully, makes the game move a lot faster. Still, expect to spend a couple of hours on this one.
    Having said that, though, just because it's a longer game doesn't mean it's a bad game.
    I can't say I'll be able to attend yet (odds are still 50/50) but if I do, I'll bring it along.

Speaking of expantions, don't forget to look for them. Lots of games that were out last year have expantions to them, so take a minute to look around and see what's out there.

I dont know if it was you, but someone last year taught me and my friends how to play frag and I went out and bought it from the booth directly after. i still have to buy the expansion.

i've never played Munchkin of any kind. Quest is my first foray into it. Sunday is dedicated board game day for my group of friends so i hope to learn then.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
    edited February 2011
    I am tempted to jump into this whole Munchkin business. I see that they have a zombie version. Any suggestions on what version to get?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Squill2k4Squill2k4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm really hoping to find Descent: Journeys in the Dark here! I've been wanting to play but I've been to cheap to buy it from our local gaming store.

Squill2k4 on
    edited February 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am tempted to jump into this whole Munchkin business. I see that they have a zombie version. Any suggestions on what version to get?

I'd say start with standard fantasy Munchkin. Always best to start with the basics.

Regiment on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zombie Munchkin is still in production and will be released later this year.
    I do not know if they will have made some copies to be sold or demoed at the convention.

If you've never played Munchkin before, start with the fantasy/D&D set. It's the basic rules of the game. All other sets and expansions add new rules, so it can get complicated when you're using all the decks, but to learn, best to go with the easiest version.
    Others versions have different theams. There's the SF deck, Asian, horror, super hero, spy, Cthullu, and Western decks, and also a few small sets like Fairy Dust and the Santa pack.
    This does not include all the expansions, which are many.
    At this point, if you have all the cards (like I do), to use them all takes two tables; one for the decks and one for the players.
    Despite how compilcated I'm making it sound, it's not. It's a very fun game with rules that are fairly easy to understand, so don't hesitate to try it.

Munchkin Quest has more rules and takes longer to play, but where it's on a board it lets you get into situations you can't get into in a card game. The rewards are much better as well, if you win the fight.

I did introduce myself to a group of people carrying a Frag game last time and said I would be happy to teach them how to play. I remember that group because of the girl who borrowed the game from HQ (she was nervise at the end as she wanted to get it back to HQ to get her badge back).
    The expansion for Frag is out now.

There's also new expansion packs for Munchkin in the following decks:

Base set:
    Munchkin 7 - reprint of out of the now out of print Munchkin Dice cards with a bonus card.
    Santa's Revenge - He's at it again.
    New demo deck - A second demo deck to teach others how to play.
    Replacement card deck - The new sets are colored in and the wording has been changed on some cards. 132 total cards and they all have the backs of the set they pertain to.
    Munchkinomicron - Just came out. 12 cards to be used in any deck.
    There's a few more in development as well.

Star set:
    Star ships pack - more ships to add to the deck.

Munchkin Booty:
    Fish & Ships pack - more ships to add to the deck.

No, you don't need to buy it all to play, but it's out there if you want it.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
    edited February 2011
    The expansion for Frag is out now...
    There's also new expansion packs for Munchkin...

So, what you're telling me is that I need to triple my souvenir budget, right?

Regiment on
  • klzklz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

(Note: Also an MIB and will be there)

You might want to see this: http://www.sjgames.com/ill/a/2011-02-10
    Oh, yeah: and we won't just be demoing Munchkin Zombies - it will be available for sale. So: come to PAX, get your Munchkin Zombies itch scratched early.

So, since we'll be demoing the brand new set, you could come by and try it out first hand before picking it up! (Then, of course, run right out and buy the brand spanking new game that weekend! ;)

Seriously, drop by the booth and spend some time to try out Munchkin and see if it is your cup of tea. :)

klz on
  • ittybittybuddhaittybittybuddha Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    On a non Munchkin related note, does anyone know if the vendors buy MTG cards? I'm getting out of the game, so im selling off the collection....

ittybittybuddha on
    edited February 2011
    klz wrote: »

(Note: Also an MIB and will be there)

You might want to see this: http://www.sjgames.com/ill/a/2011-02-10
    Oh, yeah: and we won't just be demoing Munchkin Zombies - it will be available for sale. So: come to PAX, get your Munchkin Zombies itch scratched early.

So, since we'll be demoing the brand new set, you could come by and try it out first hand before picking it up! (Then, of course, run right out and buy the brand spanking new game that weekend! ;)

Seriously, drop by the booth and spend some time to try out Munchkin and see if it is your cup of tea. :)

This makes me happy. I will have to do this.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Munchkin Question: Do people tend to play by the 2.6 second rule at PAX? I've got 15 or so games under my belt but I still find it most fun to sit, strategize, and talk to other players about which cards to play in order to ruin someone mwahaha.

dalaamprince on
  • TheMegTheMeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    daegan wrote: »
    I, personally, am looking forward to picking up Mega64 stuff without having to pay shipping per-item :/
    me toooooooo lol

TheMeg on
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What I am hoping for is some Dwarven Dice. The 16mm metal kind (in brushed steel, copper, or brass) I guess my brother-in-law got the very last one it seems on the planet just before Christmas for me and I can never got back to plastic die (except when I DM) Now I can not find anywhere online that has them in stock and they won't be in stock till April.

I'm really hoping that one of the plethora of dice vendors will have some! Oh please oh please oh please.

Also PA Merch which I don't really have any of.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hope they sell the scarves again in the PA Merch booth. They ran out before I could snag one last year.

Masquerade78 on
  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hope they sell the scarves again in the PA Merch booth. They ran out before I could snag one last year.

I just got confirmation via Twitter from Khoo that there will be a PAX East Scarf this year - a new design, too!

http://twitter.com/#!/rkhoo/status/41746922536566784

Angrypasta on
    edited February 2011
    Angrypasta wrote: »

I just got confirmation via Twitter from Khoo that there will be a PAX East Scarf this year - a new design, too!

:^:

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

That just made my night!

MagnifiedX on
  • SketchStoneSketchStone Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Silly question perhaps, but this will be my first expo... will the merch stalls etc be in the main exhibit hall among all the other stuff or are they in a special vendor location?

SketchStone on
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Silly question perhaps, but this will be my first expo... will the merch stalls etc be in the main exhibit hall among all the other stuff or are they in a special vendor location?

If you look at the maps, on the expo map you will see a booth called show store. That's the main PA merch store. They will also have another smaller store on Level 1 in the North Lobby.

lillb on
  • SketchStoneSketchStone Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Thanks, I also meant for other vendors, such as people who will be selling dice and boardgames though.

SketchStone on
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Must. Get. Scarf. Does anyone know if you get them from the PA Merch booth in the exhibit hall?

SpectacledBear on
    Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
    edited February 2011

Must. Get. Scarf. Does anyone know if you get them from the PA Merch booth in the exhibit hall?

I would assume any PA Merch booth.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I would assume any PA Merch booth.

SWEET. Thanks!

SpectacledBear on
    Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks, I also meant for other vendors, such as people who will be selling dice and boardgames though.

There will probably be some on the Expo floor, from what I remember last year some booths on the expo floor were selling merch and there was lots of table top and other such vendors in the hallway, not sure where they will be this year.

lillb on