As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Atom Zombie Smasher] Fight the Zed hordes

bamjobamjo Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
I stumbled across this by accident. It's a puzzle/strategy/tactics game where you have to evacuate survivors and take back a zombie infested city block by block. It's pretty hard and addictive as hell. Atom Zombie Smasher is from the same guys that made Flotilla, and its got that same quirky style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL0WH8ry30E&feature=player_embedded

I haven't beat a campaign yet. There is customizable difficulty and mod sharing integrated into the game, so I might dial it back a bit. There is enough randomization to make multiple playthroughs interesting.

Game site

I think it just came out. Is anyone else playing this?

Edit: I just watched the trailer again and saw that there is 3 player coop! Blendo's last game came out on steam, so I hope this will be as well. Integrated coop on steam would be pretty rad.

bamjo on

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, this just came out yesterday. I've played through the painfully short demo a couple of times, and am itching to get the game. I'm just not sure if I should wait for it tot come out on Steam or not.

BloodySloth on
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just finished a campaign on casual mode, time to crank it up. Barricades are hard to use well depending on the map, but I am coming to realize that they are a game winner. Especially when you level up to place more than 3.

Also llama bombs. LLAMA BOMBS!!

bamjo on
    edited January 2011
    I'm sad to see this thread so dead. Since I know I won't be dropping any money on Dungeons now, I'm definitely going to be picking this up today. Still unsure on how I should be utilizing dynamite though; it seems like it would be much more useful if you could detonate each pack one at a time. Or does that come with leveling up?

BloodySloth on
    edited January 2011
    Leveling up dynamite just gives you more charges to place. I don't find it as useful as the landmines. I mainly use it for setting off red buildings. Sometimes you can get a lot of kills by setting charges close together and using zombie bait to pull a crowd. Most of the time I just place them near the spawns and blow up the leading wave of zeds.

bamjo on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just wish I had $15 to spare, because this looks really fun.

urahonky on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The guy who made Flotilla also made Gravity Bone. If you haven't heard of it, I suggest you Google it ASAP.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2011
    Gravity Bone is wonderful. It's weird to me that Gravity Bone is free when Flotilla, an inferior game, is ten bucks.

BloodySloth on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just emailed them a request for a review copy. If they accept, I'll be sure to let you all know when my review is up.

EDIT: Review copy get! I've got a couple of other games I'm finishing up, but I'll try to get a review out next week.

RainbowDespair on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gravity Bone is wonderful. It's weird to me that Gravity Bone is free when Flotilla, an inferior game, is ten bucks.

Gravity Bone wouldn't have gained any popularity if had cost money. Now think of how valuable Flotilla is :P

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2011

Gravity Bone wouldn't have gained any popularity if had cost money. Now think of how valuable Flotilla is :P

Fair. I don't feel bad for buying Flotilla, but I still think it's less successful in execution than Gravity Bone. Although, playing through Gravity Bone again today, it definitely has that free-game lack of polish.

Anyway, I bought Atom Zombie Smashers, waiting for Steam release be damned. It is absolutely not disappointing. I did, however, get my ass kicked in my first campaign. I could tell how it was going to end from even before the halfway mark, but the game is fun enough that it didn't even matter. The epilogue is great and the dev note after the end vignette is a nice addition as well.

BloodySloth on
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It should be noted for anyone with ATI cards that this game apparently has a problem with them. The game simply will not start up. Rolling back the drivers supposedly can fix it, but seriously, fuck that.

Metallikat on
    edited January 2011
    I'm playing on an HD 5700 with no problems. So its not every ATI card. And the dev is releasing patches just about every day, so hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.

I started an extended campaign, and it is really close. If things continue the way they are, all the territories are going to be level 4 zones. Those only give out 100 points apiece, so I don't know how I will win at that point. I guess just buy llama bombs until the city is cleansed.

Playing a longer game lets you really upgrade your units, and I am loving the artillery right now. It fires every 6 seconds and drops 6 shells per target. It flattens buildings in a couple shots, which can be really bad when I am funneling zeds with barricades. All of a sudden they can get a straight shot to the evac zone, and they tend to spread out in large flat areas which makes arty less effective.

bamjo on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Picking this up over the weekend. Demo was great and promised a Puzzle Quest/Plants vs Zombies kind of addiction level.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited January 2011
    Just played it for about an hour. Lost big time, but was getting a lot better by the end. Despite the fact that it's getting late, I'd like to go back and play it some more.

RainbowDespair on
    edited January 2011
    I'm a bit disappointed that (end game spoiler)
    there aren't multiple endings. I won my first normal campaign, though! So at least there's that to celebrate.

BloodySloth on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Was reading through the indie game blog and played the demo this morning. Bought it when I got home.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah...I have an nVidia card and I've been trying to get the demo to work, but every time I move the mouse the game chops up...and considering the nature of the game, makes it unplayable. Which is a damn shame because the concept looks right up my alley.

SmokeScreen on
    edited February 2011
    So I finally beat a normal (6000 point) campaign.

I really hate being given dynamites. There doesn't seem to be a good way to use them except set them at the spawn points and trigger them immediately. Now if I could set them off one by one they would be so much better.

So I used the better dynamites/mines (I think you just get more) mod, played with the party wagon, and tried triplets.

Triplets isn't that good imo. It makes the start very easy if you get lucky and get multiple killing mercs. But I think it blocks you from getting scientists later on so you get inundated with random rookie mercs for your missions.

Dracil on
    edited February 2011
    I like playing with Triplets on just for the variety. Personally I think it also fits the atmosphere more, in that you're really getting access to just whoever they have free for that month, and you don't have the time or the ability to train everyone up to worthwhile soldiers.

BloodySloth on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, but I'd also like to actually research more than 2 things.

Dracil on
    edited February 2011
    Well, just finished a 20000 point campaign with party wagon, better mines/dynamite, and llama bombs. Without triplets I can actually get some decent mercs which is nice. Getting dynamites, mines, bait, and barricades still really sucks though.

I do like how the barricades make the game like a mini-tower defence.

The scientists for llama bombs option make the game too easy I think. Use the first elephantbird gun on a Lvl 4 area, use the scientists for some llama upgrades and any time you have a bunch of heavy infested territories, that's 3 llama bombs you can drop and clear out 3-7 or so territories.

Dracil on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well this definitely passes the "I was so absorbed in playing this I forgot to eat" test.

Mr Ray on
    edited February 2011
    Had some fun with one of the mods that makes the zombies slower, but also ups the quantity drastically. Really gives it that classic zombie feel. Also changes gameplay a lot - you gain XP a lot faster for a lot of your tools due to the increase in quantity and decrease in speed, but on the other hand, you're fighting a losing battle because you can never clear out a LV4 infestation area.

Also, I wrote a little mini-review of the game on our site to try to help spread the word:
    http://zeboyd.com/2011/02/09/mini-reviews-galore-vorpal-aban-hawkins-astroman-a-r-e-s-and-atom-zombie-smasher/

RainbowDespair on
    edited February 2011
    Metallikat wrote: »
    It should be noted for anyone with ATI cards that this game apparently has a problem with them. The game simply will not start up. Rolling back the drivers supposedly can fix it, but seriously, fuck that.

Apparently there's a fix for the problem now:
    http://www.blendogames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=366

RainbowDespair on
    edited February 2011
    I like how their updates are pretty regular. Wish more people played this though, just 'cause it's fun. Maybe once it gets on Steam. Dev also said our copies from him should be compatible if/when it gets on that.

Dracil on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally got around to trying the demo, a lot of fun but I'll wait for the Steam version

tofu on
    edited February 2011
    Is anyone else getting extremely poor performance with the latest patch? It was running perfectly fine before, but now the game is unplayable.

BloodySloth on
  • gameworkergameworker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome game I picked up due to this thread. Do you love zombie apocalypse stories/games? If you in any way enjoy the zombie gaming genre pick this up, it's fantastic! Wow I sound like an infomercial but damn this is a good game.

gameworker on
    edited March 2011
    From the developer's Twitter:
    Atom Zombie Smasher released on Steam next Monday, March 14!

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2011
    Woot, just got my free Steam key!

Dracil on
    edited March 2011
    Dang, recently dropped $15 on SpaceChem so this will have to wait, probably until it goes on sale

tofu on
  • MoxMox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do you get a Steam key for buying direct, or just because you bought before it was on Steam?

Mox on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    It should be said that this is $9 bucks right now on Steam rather than the $15 it is everywhere else

tofu on
    edited March 2011
    I got a steam key for buying it direct before it was on Steam I guess? He did say that was what he was gonna do for us.

Dracil on
  • LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just got this game; totally addicted. It really, really needs a better learning curve though. As it stands now the first campaign (where you get your ass totally handed to you) is pretty much your tutorial. Also, unless you read everything you will miss very key information that can and will be the difference between winning and failing horribly.

Lodsiek on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just got this, damn is it hard. Hate being stuck with 2 barrier/dynamite/snipers as my actives. Can't really do much other than a level 1 with that.

schuss on
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    schuss wrote: »
    Just got this, damn is it hard. Hate being stuck with 2 barrier/dynamite/snipers as my actives. Can't really do much other than a level 1 with that.

I mainly use a mod that changes most of your mercenaries to infantry and snipers, makes the zombies slower but they come in larger numbers and never stop. I find it much more fun than the base game.

Metallikat on
    edited March 2011
    Barriers are the best, depending on what level they are you can take on 2 or 3 outbreaks with them and pretty much any other mercenaries

tofu on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    Barriers are the best, depending on what level they are you can take on 2 or 3 outbreaks with them and pretty much any other mercenaries

With only 2 barriers, I'm finding it hard to use effectively with snipers/dynamite. Any tips?

schuss on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm loving the surf guitar background music. It's a fun game, hard at times, but certainly fun.

Dark_Side on