As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guild Wars

RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Discuss Guild Wars: the Eye of the North expansion, Guild Wars 2, updates and game ons.

Note that KCHS, the official PA guild, has disbanded due to inactivity.

Interesting new things:

Guild Wars at PAX
Eye of the North Dungeon Trailer
Hero battle ladder
Official Guild Wars Wiki

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
RandomEngy on

• KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does this game get better, or worse with each expansion?

KimFidler on
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As cool as Nightfall was, I only played it for a week until I got bored with the quests.

All the little tweaks and upgrades NCsoft did to the UI and other things that made it more user friendly since then is fantastic. Too bad I can't seem to focus on playing it for too long. I kinda want to see what NCsoft can do with a persistent world.

Also, maybe if I didn't feel like strangling everyone in the community, I would most likely return to play again soon.

edit: I wish I can take my obsidian armor to guildwars2. I would farm less for super loot that way.

edit2: I really hope Eye of the North DOES NOT have any missions where it requires you to bring heroes. I don't use them, so they are always underleveled. I like normal henchmen better.

ze swift class on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm still playing for the PvP, which doesn't get boring. Also, you like henchmen more than heroes? If you put just a little work into them heroes can be leagues better.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    If you put just a little work into them heroes can be leagues better.

I definately agree with this, and I thought that actually made it pretty easy. The only thing henchmen ever needed was the STOP, ATTACK and GO HERE commands. Adding the option to give them better weapons (spend/waste money), add runes (spend/waste money), and have them a customizable skillbar was too much for PVE I think.

ze swift class on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    KimFidler wrote: »
    Does this game get better, or worse with each expansion?

The only way it got worse was the adding new classes made PvP more complicated, and that isn't necessarily a criticism. There was also a slight feature creep (or major until everything got rebalanced properly).

They've definitely done a lot of work to improve each campaign over prophecies with new PvP types, better storylines, more focused level progression, improved graphics, more things to do etc. The only really major flaw left is that they're still missing an auction house which really isn't acceptable anymore.

The downside is some of the improvements were limited to chapters, e.g. you wanted expanded storage? got to buy chapters 2&3 (although arguably you don't really need it unless you're got the 7-8 chars that you'll end up having if you own all the chapters). You want heroes so you're not stuck with retard pick-ups? Gotta buy chapter 3. Although honestly it's fair enough considering they do need to make money.

Rook on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Never bothered with PvE. Played PvP for 3 months, got Gladiator title, over 200k faction from RA, and well, I just want to try out Heroes' Ascent. Except every pickup group I've had fails so fucking bad (best was when we skipped to Courtyard, and that's on the 3rd match with a trapper/RAO/spiritway group). Oh well, taking a break from the game now. I loves my assassin much though, and recently found that Fort Aspenwood was still active! :O Much good times were had there :^:

PvP isn't that complicated - GvG runs the same 2-3 monks + mes + whatever build, Heroes' is sameclass-way if you want a win, and RA is the only place to see weird ass builds win frequently :P i used to hang out in the GWGuru forums but left when there was far too many complaints about the slightest thing :|

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never had friends to play the game with. They all quit after 2 weeks...

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It is worth noting that Guild Wars: Nightfall is a sweet $25 at EB this weekend for their 25-50% off sale. If you have either of the others but not Nightfall (or if somebody is jumping into this thread without owning any of them), at that price Nightfall is definitely a good buy. :mrgreen:

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    not enough guild wars in guildwars imo

Zoolander on
  • FlyingCubeFlyingCube Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zoolander wrote: »
    not enough guild wars in guildwars imo

buildwars buildwars lol.

Seriously though, its still pretty fun despite that.

ATs should be interesting, though my guild lost silver trims because of the 14 day rule, but whatever.

If you guys wanted a guest for anything PA style, my IGN is Flying Cube

FlyingCube on
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FlyingCube wrote: »
    If you guys wanted a guest for anything PA style, my IGN is Flying Cube

Right now we'd be better off being added to somebody's alliance than getting people for guests. We haven't had 8 people online at the same time since January :/.

So yeah, anyone reading this that happens to be part of a guild/alliance that isn't filled with idiots, talk to Engy.

Perrsun on
    edited May 2007
    I don't think there's such a thing as an alliance without idiots. My little corner of XoO is pretty cool full of nice people.

Rook on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm a huge fan of Guild Wars PvE game, currently trying to clear through prophecies and nightfall. Factions can wait because i hate that damn city.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I'll pick up Nightfall today at that EB sale.

deadonthestreet on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whoa, 25 for Nightfall? I think I'll hit up that sale today too. I bought Guild Wars when it first came out, and I never really got too far in either PvP or the campaign, but I keep coming back to it. It's a very well designed game, as well as very well implemented. All of the changes they make improve it immensely.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have fond memories of this game, but I'm not sure I can get back into it. So much has changed with the PvP, and the PvE while fun wasn't anything spectacular.

Drool on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was huge into this game until Nightfall. The thing that really turned me off was the extent to which ANet was nerfing popular builds. Back before Factions there was a counter-build for every build, but once they added the new classes they had to start nerfing the dominant builds because the balance was lost. Plus, the whole economy-not-an-economy thing got really tiring. I appreciate the fact that they wanted to avoid a farming-based game but when they're going out of their way to dunk the prices of runes and weapons and thwart farming/trading they fuck over a significant number of the players who paid the same money to farm items as those who paid to fight battles.

Kreutz on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just so y'all know, the recent update added a new monk armor to prophocies and also made armors in every chapter inscriptable (no longer limited to Nightfall's and FoW armor).

Gah this bug is ticking me off...
    http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452433 O_o

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I was wondering, did we get booted from our last alliance because we didn't faction/pve farm like everyone else or did we leave. I hope we left... that alliance was so annoyingly shitty my advanced pvp brain could not take it any longer.

I got into so many arguments about why shitty skills are shitty, I won't even mention the time I did some Alliance Battles with them.

Stealthc on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think we got booted. I never found out why. It shouldn't have been because of the faction because I made it clear we were never going to farm it.

RandomEngy on
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The alliance leader wanted to replace KCHS with a more active guild

Zoolander on
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Its worth noting that the lack of persistent world a la WoW really makes this game feel less complete.

Im gonna wait for GW2 which hopefully melds the GW gameplay with a huge persistent world.

Cause GW gameplay is great, though many times it really does feel like a single player game.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I still think you ought to disband KCHS so you can actually join a guild that does things once in a blue moon.

Rook on
    edited May 2007
    Yeah I'm with Rook. KCHS doesn't really mean anything anymore, I mean the most people we've had on at a single time in the last year would be 3, maybe 4 and it's basically now down to myself, engy and perrsun being the only ones with any pvp experience.

I just want to GvG again... winning HoH with 4 heroes doesn't really cut it anymore.

So Rook, what are the chances of getting into a pvp guild in XoO? ;)

Stealthc on
  • mrgilmoreanmrgilmorean Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Its worth noting that the lack of persistent world a la WoW really makes this game feel less complete.

Im gonna wait for GW2 which hopefully melds the GW gameplay with a huge persistent world.

Cause GW gameplay is great, though many times it really does feel like a single player game.

The almost completely instanced world and the fact that I can play it like a single-player game if I want to is a large part of why I love the game. I find there are a lot of assholes and if I had to deal with them all the time I would have given up on the game completely. On the flip side, the chances of bumping into someone randomly twice is rather low (in PvE anyway) so I think the mostly annoying player base is a result of the current game structure. That said, I don't know if making a persistent world will make the player base better or just force you to interact with morons all the time.

mrgilmorean on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I still play...

Anyone here can friend me under Bendery Lafiel

I don't do much but RA honestly...

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited May 2007
    Sadly thats really all I get to do these days too, RA and stomping faces in Hero Battles with my mighty 20-2 record when I can stomach the meta.

Stealthc on
    edited May 2007
    Stealthc wrote: »
    Yeah I'm with Rook. KCHS doesn't really mean anything anymore, I mean the most people we've had on at a single time in the last year would be 3, maybe 4 and it's basically now down to myself, engy and perrsun being the only ones with any pvp experience.

I just want to GvG again... winning HoH with 4 heroes doesn't really cut it anymore.

So Rook, what are the chances of getting into a pvp guild in XoO? ;)

Heh, well, I'd think about your choices. XoO isn't perfect by a long shot, they have more than their fair share of jackasses and stupid rules.

That said, I have pvped with them a bunch and once you learn who you like playing with, it's great. Chances of getting in are high, though where you end up is another matter. You should all join AX though as it's strictly cool people only. They've absorbed a couple of guilds recently so if it's just 10 or so people then i'm sure it's possible, or if there's more you could all go to various guilds in XoO. (They've got a couple of PvE divisions, an HoH div, some hybrid ones and some noobie ones). I really haven't played a lot recently so I'm not sure what state they're all in though.

Rook on
    edited May 2007
    At this point i'm really just looking to GvG anywhere, I think it has been almost exactly 1 year since KCHS has done it.

Can you give me some contact names or something?

Stealthc on
    edited May 2007
    At this point i'm really just looking to GvG anywhere, I think it has been almost exactly 1 year since KCHS has done it.

First call should probably be the recruitment forums and just read over the stickies
    http://www.xoohq.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=410

If you want to talk to someone in game, I can find out but I'm at work at the moment

Rook on
  • VarelseVarelse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

That's about how long it's been since I quit >.>

Varelse on
    cranksig5mu.png
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok I've got Nightfall (finally), my acc name is Killah Bee. Currently still in pre...

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I used to play in the alpha and had a great guild that pve'd and pvp'd regularly. When the game actually released though, some important people in the guild stopped playing and I got burnt out on the game myself. I picked the game up again almost a year after Prophecies released and am now in a different guild, but I really miss my original one. We had a great camaraderie and few jerks. Only upside to my new guild is we have a great alliance.

Anyways, I don't have Nightfall yet, but if anyone needs a Monk or anything my IGN is "Geod of Exile."

Geod on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I sort of agree, it lacks the social element of WoW, but the trade is a good one - like the quest where you kill the Charr battalion outside of Piken Square, and forever after that they're gone. You never have to worry about them again.

It sounds like GW2 is going to meld the two types somehow, but my mind can't wrap around that yet, so I'm hungry for more info.
    gneGne wrote: »
    Ok I've got Nightfall (finally), my acc name is Killah Bee. Currently still in pre...

There is no pre/post Searing in Nightfall.

Delzhand on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

I sort of agree, it lacks the social element of WoW, but the trade is a good one - like the quest where you kill the Charr battalion outside of Piken Square, and forever after that they're gone. You never have to worry about them again.

It sounds like GW2 is going to meld the two types somehow, but my mind can't wrap around that yet, so I'm hungry for more info.
    gneGne wrote: »

There is no pre/post Searing in Nightfall.

Maybe he means the newb isle.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

Should point out that if you don't take the quest they'll never be there to begin with :P

I've just left KCHS, I'm now in Onslaught of Xen for many gvgs. Friend Stealth Crusader for mega fun times.

Perrsun has joined Reign of Xen.

Stealthc on
    edited June 2007
    i've been playing quite alot lately in the PvE campaigns, got my own guild allied with luxon.

If any of you heavy pve'rs are bored running around by yourselfs i can toss you an invite. guilds been up for months and im still the only member, but its not like i've ever tried to recruit.

Saban the Marksman is my ingame name, im usually running around getting frustrated at missions or capping elites.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
    edited June 2007
    Hope you have fun in XoO and don't get too pissed off that they're not as cool as KCHS was :)

Rook on
    edited June 2007
    Gates of Madness is tough ~_~

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hhmm.

Fine. I'll reinstall Guild Wars! Damn yous guys.

Kami on