As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC May 2011 Solicits

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Graphic Violence
Batman and Superman solicits are up!
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/02/11/batman-solicits-for-may/
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/02/11/superman-solicits-for-may/

Some highlights:
sm_cv711.jpg
dccp_son_of_superman.jpg
bminc_cv7_var.jpg
dtc_cv877.jpg
bmrob_cv23.jpg
bgv2_cv211.jpg

Oh and Outsiders is finally cancelled. All three of its readers are pissed.

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's not in the solicits there but Scott Snyder is getting to write more Batman, which is good:
    BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM #1
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER and KYLE HIGGINS
    Art and Cover by TREVOR MCCARTHY
    1:25 Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

When a mystery as old as Gotham City itself surfaces, Batman assembles a team of his greatest detectives – including Red Robin, Owlman, I-Ching and others – to investigate this startling new enigma. As clues are discovered and the mystery deepens, Batman’s team soon finds itself on a journey that explores different eras in Gotham’s history and touches upon notable Gotham families including the Waynes, Kanes, and Elliotts.
    This miniseries spins out of recent events in the Batman titles and sets the stage for several exciting storylines in 2011. Additionally, this limited series touches upon mysterious story elements introduced in Grant Morrison’s RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE. Featuring many exciting Batman Family guest stars!

Trevor McCarthy wowed me with his art in Superman 80-page giant, so I look forward to that.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh goddamit

Snyder writing a huge mystery starring a bunch of awesome detectives?

I don't need to spend more money fuck fuck fuck

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    what the fuck is this
    BATMAN & ROBIN #23
    Written by JUDD WINICK
    Art and cover by GUILLEM MARCH
    1:10 Variant cover by GENE HA
    Jason Todd - Batman’s one-time sidekick, currently the anti-hero known as Red Hood - has been imprisoned in Arkham Asylum for the past several months. But after a period of good behavior, will a transfer to a lower-security prison mean reformation for Jason Todd . . . or is trouble waiting in the wings for Batman and Robin? Don’t miss “The Streets Run Red” part one of three!

I mean, I like Guillem March's art, and I like Winick's Jason Todd, but where did Tomasi and Gleason go?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think they are using B&R as a rotating writer showcase. Which is okay I guess.

I am actually looking forward to it because Winnick does right the best Todd and seeing him interact with Dick will be really interesting.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Like I wrote in the DC threat I hope they don't ruin B&R by making it like JLA was post Joe Kelly, a new team every arc.

At the very least keep Tomasi on the book for 12 issues, and it's not like Gleason needs a lot of time to do issues, he is a true monthly artist.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe he was busy with Brightest Day stuff? Or maybe another project entirely?
    Hopefully he'll come back after this arc.

Tairu on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blue Beetle still appearing in other books further screams "fake out"

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    Blue Beetle still appearing in other books further screams "fake out"

That Supergirl solicit could be misleading because the last issue showed some Facebook guy trying to create a teen superhero 4square type thing because he wants to kill them all. So it's already in the middle of a story arc.

I think Nightcrawler showed up somewhere else right around the time he died too.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DiDio finally gives up his vanity title. Hopefully, we'll see more of FREIGHT TRAIN in the future!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    now that I look at it, that Batman & Robin cover is kind of hilarious

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Most excited for the Dark Knight Dark City reprint

MastaP on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    now that I look at it, that Batman & Robin cover is kind of hilarious

I know. The skull looks sad.

sadskull.jpg

Poor sad skull. :(

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Marco Rudy's drawing Superboy. That's pretty awesome. The guy did amazing work on The Shield. His layouts are really incredible. He's like a less famous, more timely JH Williams III.
    281x57d.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's a great page.

I'm also psyched that Cornell gets to write Superman proper, but the fact that it comes out of 900 makes me worried that his Luthor arc got crashed by the Return of Doomsday story.

Lux on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lux wrote: »
    That's a great page.

I'm also psyched that Cornell gets to write Superman proper, but the fact that it comes out of 900 makes me worried that his Luthor arc got crashed by the Return of Doomsday story.

Nah, the Luthor arc was always 10 issues from the beginning. 900 is supposed to have the end of it, and then the start of the Superman's return stuff. I believe they were even solicited as separate stories in the massive 900 issue.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Outsiders cancelled
    REBELS cancelled
    Doom Patrol cancelled
    Freedom Fighters cancelled
    JSA All-Stars cancelled

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Doom Patrol cancelled

what what what?
    D:

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think of all those books JSA All-Stars had the highest sales with 17k in January. Surprised Power Girl didn't get the axe either (THUNDER Agents looks like it should end soon too).

REBELS survived longer than I thought it would, and that might have come down to the Blackest Night ring promotion. The same could be said for Doom Patrol and Outsiders.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    what what what?
    D:
    To be fair, it had been selling about 9k for the past few months. That's abysmal.

To ease the pain, go check out the Comic Twart guys drawing Doom Patrol. Dave Johnson's is especially awesome.

I'm actually sort of relieved that REBELS has been canned. It was circling the drain for months, quality-wise, but I kept reading because Hell, I've read it for two years and want to see how it ends.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm guessing THUNDER Agents will be cancelled shortly due to Spencer jumping over to Marvel.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I really liked the first JSA All Stars trade. Sad to see it go.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    All-Stars is/was a good book, better than the regular JSA title. I wish they would move Sturges and Williams to the parent book because from what I've seen Guggenheim isn't doing so good.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    14344y9.jpg
    SUPERMAN/BATMAN #84
    Written by CULLEN BUNN
    Art by CHRISCROSS and MARC DEERING
    Cover by TRAVEL FOREMAN
    Superman must help the JLA of the future – Aquaman, Klarion the Warlock, Traci 13, Stanley and His Monster, Scream Queen and Jason Blood – in preventing Morgaine le Fey from traveling back in time to our era and destroying the sun! But Batman insists that you can’t change the past, and, well, Batman is kind of always right, so . . . hello, eternal darkness? Cullen Bunn (The Sixth Gun) and ChrisCross bring “Sorcerer Kings” to a sun-shattering conclusion!
    On sale MAY 18 • 32 pg, FC $2.99 US • RATED T

Yes yes this is what I like (although that Traci 13 costume is the worst)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, Aquaman really let himself go.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's how Traci 13 originally looked in Action Comics. It's urban magic, yo. But where's her iguana Leeroy?

edit: full solicits are up

Knight & Squire gets a TPB out 2 months after the last issue, that's really good to see.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nothing really grabbing me here, although I honestly appreciate the cancellations and some of the story endings allowing me to drop off a few more books.

War of the Green Lanterns sounds like it's going to take forever, though.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh Absolute Identity Crisis

Ugh

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am sad that Doom Patrol is coming to an end
    Hope it goes out with a bang

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There's Batman: Gates of Gotham, which I'm going to trade wait because it is a miniseries
    Of course my usual DC issue list: Detective, INC and Batwoman
    And the reprint of Dark Knight, Dark City, which is a must buy

One of these days I'm going to have to catch up on Freedom Fighters

Still flip flopping on Xombi. Something I want to read in trades, but unlike a miniseries, it might not last that long.

Might get Cowboys. I need to go back and grab some of the other Vertigo Crime OGN's

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Reprint of Dark Knight, Dark City AND Willworld?
    Hooooly craaaap

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hahah. Deathstroke loses his other eye.

Bravo, DC.

Following the coming cancellations, I'm going to be reading a whopping two DC books, come April. Maybe I'll add Batgirl or Batwoman to my pull list.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    add batgirl damnit

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sold.

I've been leaning that way for a while, anyhow. Anyone want to tell me when it got good, because I remember the first few issues looking really lame.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It was always good.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Sold.

I've been leaning that way for a while, anyhow. Anyone want to tell me when it got good, because I remember the first few issues looking really lame.

The improvement has been slow and incremental. But you start noticing it in issue 6. 13's also a decent jumping on point, and 14 has Supergirl and Batgirl fighting movie draculas.

MastaP on