As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Hobbit] Rough cut is in the wild!

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ceno wrote: »
    That would also allow Jackson to reshoot the scene with Bilbo in the Fellowship prologue to include Martin Freeman, should he so desire. I'm not advocating it, but there's an opening there, and I feel it would be far less egregious than Hayden in Return of the Jedi.

Mostly because Freeman makes sense in that scene as Bilbo, whereas Hayden Christensen makes no goddamned sense as Anakin.

Atomika on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TheDigitalBits is reporting that Warners and New Line seem to be circling a deal for the Extended Editions of the LOTR trilogy to hit Blu-Ray sometime by the end of this year.

I really expected them to hold off until the release of The Hobbit, either in theaters or on video, but I guess we'll see. Nothing in stone yet, no dates announced.

Nah, end of this year makes perfect sense, as December 19th will mark the 10th anniversary of Fellowship hitting theaters.

So a commerative edition to launch the Extendeds on Blu-Ray sounds pretty much perfect for the holiday season.

Holy crap, I feel old.

Try remembering when Return of The Jedi came out =/

Xaquin on
  • ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bilbo and Dwarves cast photo:

temp2548.jpg

From E! online.

Also an article on Del Toro in the New Yorker has some info on his participation in the project and his ideas for Smaug.

Colanut on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Colanut wrote: »
    Bilbo and Dwarves cast photo:

temp2548.jpg

From E! online.

Also an article on Del Toro in the New Yorker has some info on his participation in the project and his ideas for Smaug.

I was counting the people in that photo and only came up with 13 till I noticed one guy was ducked behind another and you could only see part of his shirt. Feel sorry for that guy, no cool cast photo for him.

iguanacus on
    edited February 2011
    I'm still a little worried that Hugo Weaving hasn't signed on yet. I know he probably doesn't need to be on set for but a week or so, but still.

Of all the damn people from the trilogy that are coming back that aren't explicitly called for, I'd figured Weaving would be a no-brainer.

Atomika on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm still a little worried that Hugo Weaving hasn't signed on yet. I know he probably doesn't need to be on set for but a week or so, but still.

Of all the damn people from the trilogy that are coming back that aren't explicitly called for, I'd figured Weaving would be a no-brainer.

I'm still pissed Rhys Davis is being a little cunt and won't play gimli. Ya I get it, the make-up sucked, but it would be a brief cameo.

Well. Ok. Maybe he isn't being a cunt, but dammit, I would love to see gimli on the big screen one more time.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Weaving's a great guy, but you might argue he isn't quite big enough to be outright announced. I could be wrong. Hell, I hope I'm wrong.

Can't imagine he'd have some scheduling priority over the freaking Hobbit, but who knows what the Red Skull will be doing after Captain America?

Linespider5 on
    edited February 2011
    Weaving's a great guy, but you might argue he isn't quite big enough to be outright announced. I could be wrong. Hell, I hope I'm wrong.

Can't imagine he'd have some scheduling priority over the freaking Hobbit, but who knows what the Red Skull will be doing after Captain America?

Due to the minimal nature of Elrond's role in the books, one would assume that Weaving wouldn't need to be in NZ all that long to get the work in. Basically in The Hobbit he just says, "Welcome to Rivendell. Have a good night," and then pisses off.

However, considering that Jackson has apparently written whole new parts for Galadriel and Saruman and whatnot, I can imagine that Elrond might have more than just a few lines waiting for him. Which means being on-set for a decent stretch. So I don't know.

Atomika on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Doesn't Elrond translate the map?

It's been a long time since I read The Hobbit

tofu on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I believe he does, yes. Then he sings a bunch of songs.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »
    TheDigitalBits is reporting that Warners and New Line seem to be circling a deal for the Extended Editions of the LOTR trilogy to hit Blu-Ray sometime by the end of this year.

I really expected them to hold off until the release of The Hobbit, either in theaters or on video, but I guess we'll see. Nothing in stone yet, no dates announced.

Nah, end of this year makes perfect sense, as December 19th will mark the 10th anniversary of Fellowship hitting theaters.

So a commerative edition to launch the Extendeds on Blu-Ray sounds pretty much perfect for the holiday season.

Holy crap, I feel old.

I can't, I wasn't born then.

Centipede Damascus on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Holy crap, I feel old.

=/

Xaquin on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Holy crap, I feel old.

=/

Jedi? Pfft. I can do 2 better than that.
    Actually, I can't actually remember May 1977...but I do remember seeing that movie in the theater...could have been later that year or in 1978.

Doctor Detroit on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I believe he does, yes. Then he sings a bunch of songs.

Everybody sings a bunch of songs. If anyone actually read them, nobody would have finished the books.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I was counting the people in that photo and only came up with 13 till I noticed one guy was ducked behind another and you could only see part of his shirt. Feel sorry for that guy, no cool cast photo for him.

Try this one:

hobbit-cast-assembled.jpg

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »

I'm still pissed Rhys Davis is being a little cunt and won't play gimli. Ya I get it, the make-up sucked, but it would be a brief cameo.

Well. Ok. Maybe he isn't being a cunt, but dammit, I would love to see gimli on the big screen one more time.

Gimli doesn't show up in the Hobbit. I'm guessing they wanted him to play Gloin, which would be more than a cameo but hardly a starring role, so I can see why he turned it down - wear dwarf makeup all day and be present in half of all shots, but get three lines of spoken dialogue? No thanks.

Aroused Bull on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah. I mean, I'm not even an actor or anything, but I honestly think I'd turn down a paid trip to New Zealand if it involved putting makeup on that fucked up my face and that largely being the entire point of the whole trip.

He should just allow them to use his image and then they can Gimli up some other lucky sod. If they MUST have him there.

Linespider5 on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I imagine they were gonna stick him in a logical spot. like legolas can be fit into the story pretty easily, gimli could have been at the battle of five armies I guess. It would be super weird to me to have him back to play someone else.

unless that's something they're already doing. I assumed all the returns were to play the same characters but I guess that could not be the case.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited March 2011
    Got $85? You have until April to save up.

Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition - BluRay w/ Digital Copy.

The OT and Rings trilogy out in the same year. Hurry up, Indiana Jones!

Atomika on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just curious, the earthquake in Christchurch didn't affect shooting, did it?

Which reminds me: shooting is about to begin! Er, assuming it hasn't been pushed back. again.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited March 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Which reminds me: shooting is about to begin! Er, assuming it hasn't been pushed back. again.

Not as far as I know.

Everything is still set to begin shooting March 20th.

Atomika on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Not as far as I know.

Everything is still set to begin shooting March 20th.

Christchurch is South Island, right? Weta is based out of Wellington and I believe most of the locations are North Island or generally not near Christchurch.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm so, so, so excited for this.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
    edited April 2011
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did he just say "two or three years"?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Was he chubbier at the beginning of the video?

Also, very cool. It's nice to see someone who really cares about the production. I share some of the fan gripes of LoTR, mostly the odd CGI, but still an amazing piece.

MichaelLC on
    edited April 2011
    Malkor wrote: »

For what thing? I didn't catch that.

Also, apparently John Rhys-Davies has changed his mind and offered his services to Peter Jackson for "anything or even just an excuse to come down" on The Hobbit.

Atomika on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Also, apparently John Rhys-Davies has changed his mind and offered his services to Peter Jackson for "anything or even just an excuse to come down" on The Hobbit.

Right in the opening, "See you in two or three years." (at the :31 mark.)

MichaelLC on
    edited April 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Right in the opening, "See you in two or three years." (at the :31 mark.)

Oh, that. The films come out in December of 2012 and 2013. Given that this video was shot in the middle of March, that's more or less 2-3 years.

Atomika on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Between the weight loss, the long pants, and the closed-toe shoes, I barely recognize Peter Jackson.

Hedgethorn on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    He's half the man he used to be...

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's a shadow hanging over him...

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ... oh, he believes in Middle Earth...

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Martin Freeman reading the beginning lines gave me chills.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2011
    Hm, the very first thing being filmed is Gollum's scene. Makes sense.

And honestly, while some of the CGI in the first trilogy does look a little wonky, for the most part it holds up amazingly well. I wonder if they'll take the time to clean up a few of those scenes...

cloudeagle on
    edited April 2011
    Probably just a wishful wanking on my part, but considering they shot the Gollum's Cave sequences 3 months before the release of the EE Blu-Rays, it'd be kinda cool to see Martin Freeman playing Bilbo in the FOTR prologue.

Atomika on
    edited April 2011
    Probably just a wishful wanking on my part, but considering they shot the Gollum's Cave sequences 3 months before the release of the EE Blu-Rays, it'd be kinda cool to see Martin Freeman playing Bilbo in the FOTR prologue.

So you'd like to do a Star Wars on them?

I don't know, I think I'd rather keep it as is both for real-world continuity, and to respect the original performance.

MichaelLC on
    edited April 2011

I don't know, I think I'd rather keep it as is both for real-world continuity, and to respect the original performance.

It's nit-picky, but The Hobbit is going to override any flashbacks in the LOTR films.

It's not going to ruin my day if it doesn't happen, though. I just think it would be a nice addition. At least it makes some sense, unlike putting Hayden Christensen in ROTJ.

Atomika on
    edited April 2011

It's nit-picky, but The Hobbit is going to override any flashbacks in the LOTR films.

It's not going to ruin my day if it doesn't happen, though. I just think it would be a nice addition. At least it makes some sense, unlike putting Hayden Christensen in ROTJ.

That's very true. Unlike putting whole new things in Star Wars, you'd be tweaking already-existing effects in LOTR. I mean, I really wouldn't wish death upon Jackson if he fixed, say, the worgs. Or made Legolas' oliphaunt takedown look more realistic.

cloudeagle on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    but hayden christensen does make sense in rotj

I wouldn't mind any changes like that to be honest.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch