As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ar Tonelico III: Knell of Ar Ciel [PS3] - they still be crazy.

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
at1.png

I'll be honest, I was trying my damnedest not to be excited for this game, but dang it, Gust, I can't stay mad.
(Qoga means 'End' in Reyvateil, I believe. It's still a stupid title.)

~Details~
The finale of the Ar Tonelico trilogy, PS3 exclusive, hits the US sometime in March.

The third game in the series takes place in Ar Ciel; a world of multiple towers.

Only here, Reyvateils rule, and they seek to wipe out humanity, and put the Reyvateils in charge, to the point that they actively assault and destroy human settlements.

The protagonist is fighting against the Reyvateils, only they aren't all on the same side...

~Media~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMQNJnRjA2E

The voice acting sounds decent, except for the protagonist. The music should be phenomenal, like usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9tZfif5qg&feature=related

And much like always, pure guilty pleasure.

~Cast~
at2.png
Aoto - The Protagonist
A young steeplejack(whatever that is) apprentice.
Trope: Burning Justice!

at3.png
Saki - Reyvateli #1

A mysterious Reyvateil, created to fulfill a grand purpose to alter the world's fate.
Trope: Positive Thinking!

at4.png
Finnel - Reyvateil #2
A rare pure-blooded Beta-type Reyvateil, also works as a waitress, burdened with a secret dark duty.
Trope: See Ar Tonelico 2.
Traitor who becomes remorseful afterwards, calling it now.

Reyvateil #3 - ???
(TBA, you know it'll have one who makes you want to kick those two to the curb.)

~Screens~
If you thought AT 1 & 2 were tacky, consider this a warning: this one takes it to extremes.

Page901.jpg

Page1801.jpg

ATQ_Screen_01.png

Page1703.jpg

The battle system looks much, much crazier now. Tales called, they want their fighting system back.

ATQ_Screen_03.png

~Website~

http://nisamerica.com/games/atq/

~Packaging~
PremiumBoxartATQ1.jpg
(First M-Rated NIS America title ever.)

~Obtuse True Ending Requirements!~

Gilder wrote:
Warning about activating the Final Phase

About halfway through Phase 3 there will be a boss fight against something/someone known as M.Y.U.. This fight must be completed within 6 minutes and 40 seconds, otherwise you cannot go to the final phase in that file. You will have to start a NG+, and if you wish to redistribute your heart points the same way you must restart from the beginning of Phase 2. If your team runs away then you have failed to defeat it in time. If they do not and you stay in the location you fought the boss then you have defeated it in time and are on the path to the final phase.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not sure if I want or not.

Battle system doesn't look that great to be honest.

blaze_zero on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Buying it because I am literally an anime and I can only associate with my own kind.

Also it comes out March 15th and it's $60. It's $70 if you want to order it from Rosenqueen with their exclusive calendar.

Gilder on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, it looks kind of messy. Tonelico 2's was great. Not too easy, not too difficult.

And thank god for limited random battles. Whoever at Gust came up with that deserves a medal.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I liked AT2 except for the slowdown. That was annoying. Otherwise the battle system was fun.

blaze_zero on
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if Aroduc is reading this to give some information on how to play this before it comes out. Because I'm pretty sure he was the one to say in the AT2 thread to not proceed too far with anyone or you'd lose out on the other characters. This looks kind of weird on that front actually, because all the girls on the website have mind guardians. So can we actually dive into more characters now to power them up?

Also wow, Saki's outfit really hides her chest. She looked completely different in those few scenes from the trailer that had her without that fluffy coat. Boy oh boy I can't wait for her to be all shy about it and have all kinds of zany misunderstandings with Aoto, or for Finnel to be all jealous and then Saki starts blushing and getting nervous! Never change anime. Never change.

Gilder on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whoever is voicing the girl at 3:18 sounds ridiculously familiar.

I think it's Flonne.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I checked. It is not Sandy Fox.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played the first one 'til the point where you hit the gunslinger's hometown. I'd just dived to Lv5 with both ladies so I could install crystals into them.

That was about three months ago. Any advice on paths-of-no-return from there?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited February 2011
    Serves me right for not figuring it out sooner.

Saki is Cristina 'Noel Vermillion' Vee.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...Hmm...Saki is the purple haired one right, hopefully she doesn't spend the whole game squealing in Noel's annoying tone.

Dragkonias on
    edited February 2011
    It sounds like she will be.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well...whatever I guess...no worse than Cloche's and Luca's constant bitching.

Dragkonias on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...whatever I guess...no worse than Cloche's and Luca's constant bitching.

I hated Luca. She had a really easy-to-hate character.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    Buying it because I am literally an anime and I can only associate with my own kind.

I've been wanting a jrpg on the PS3 anyway. Hopefully this will provide the fix.

Also, considering I've never played Arf Tunnelingo I or II, how fucking clueless about the story will I be, on a scale from 1 to George W Bush?

Kazaka on
    edited February 2011
    Well, I played 1, and I had no clue what was going on in 2's backstory, so... pretty sure you'll be as lost as the rest of us.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    Usually you don't need to know the story beyond some cameo or callback mumbo-jumbo.

Not to mention the games aren't about plot, their about listening to chicks bitch for hours so they can learn stronger magic spells.

(That's actually a lot more fun than it sounds)

Dragkonias on
    edited February 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Usually you don't need to know the story beyond some cameo or callback mumbo-jumbo.

Not to mention the games aren't about plot, their about listening to chicks bitch for hours so they can learn stronger magic spells.

(That's actually a lot more fun than it sounds)

k sweet

consider this bought

EDIT: and it fights like tales, kinda?
    DAMN this shit's off tha hook

Kazaka on
    edited February 2011
    The only important thing that I'm sure carries over is that BBQ Soda is delicious.

Gilder on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    The only important thing that I'm sure carries over is that BBQ Soda is delicious.

But-but that was the part that made the least sense!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited February 2011
    It's that crunchy zest with the bubbly soda that makes it so good! Maybe in this we can make the delicious Cereal, Jam, and Turkey sandwich from Deadly Premonition.

Gilder on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm interested in this. I finished the first game and really enjoyed it, I have the second one but can't play it cause of no PS2. Don't judge me but I love moe lolis.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks great beyond the obviously shitty name. Also looking forward to the absolutely bizarre Hyperdimension Neptunia, but I might wait until the price drops on that one.

Anyone know if Europe is getting anything close to the edition NIS America is doing? I don't recall getting anything of the like for Atelier Rorona over here.

liquidlogan on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's Tales of Ar Tonelico, how bad could it be?
    ... ... ... ... Forget I asked that question.

(Can't wait for this.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited February 2011
    Well if it's anything like AT2 liquidlogan you'll get a copy that doesn't have a memory leak that makes it so you can't get 100% in the NA version.

Gilder on
    edited February 2011
    It's Tales of Ar Tonelico, how fucking radical could it be?

(Can't wait for this.)

|
    |
    |
    |
    unrad
    rad
    mega rad
    (you are here)

Kazaka on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I preordered Hyperdimension Neptunia specifically because NISA announced they were localizing this.

I'm a little sad that it sounds like they're really pushing the titties out there even harder this time, but at least this tower sounds interesting, and the main character seems like he'll be less of a snooze than Croix was.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited February 2011
    Wait, what? I liked Croix. At least he had a spine.

AT1's, now he was a bore.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    God dammit. I love Gust games but stop slapping me with fucking titties already.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2011
    Croix had a spine?

Did we play the same game?

I at least liked that Lyner developed somewhat over the course of the game, even if he could barely be said to have a personality.

Kainy on
    edited February 2011
    I like that he called them out on their BS instead of happily complying.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    Guys, guys

I'm not one to argue a good thing

Let's take these titties in stride now, come on
    No I totally understand the concerns about titties though

Kazaka on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've got the first two and never got around to playing them.

Is there a good comprehensive walkthrough out there that I can use to catch up?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The diving into young women aspect of this series has always been somewhat disturbing.

Krathoon on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The diving into young women aspect of this series has always been somewhat disturbing.

Pretty sure it's the main selling point for a significant portion of the target audience.

Astale on
    edited February 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Pretty sure it's the main selling point for a significant portion of the target audience.

it's something the rest of us are ashamed of
    psyche I'm totes buying it to dive into girls

Kazaka on
    edited February 2011
    Diving is a little creepy, but game mechanically it's used to inject significant amounts of raw character development, which is a pretty goddamn good thing.

Now I just wish that mechanic would be in a game that took itself a bit more seriously, or was a bit more mature in how it handled things, but oh well.

Honestly just having a real romantic relationship in an RPG helps the story have impact, as opposed to most JRPGs which have, at best, super-subtle and sanitized relationships between the protagonist and potential romantic interests.

A party member being taken away, or having some horrible thing happen to them is rough. Your girlfriend having it happen is far worse.

Kainy on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The diving doesn't really bother me.

It's the crystal insertion that gets well-over-borderline disturbing.

And if a game ever gives me a girlfriend I always immediately start looking for a way to kill her off.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2011
    The crystal insertion is definitely nothing but innuendo.

I really like some of the themes the games touch on, I just wish it could be done in less of an "OMG I TOUCHED A BOOB" sort of way.

Kainy on
    edited February 2011
    The only RPG I know of that actually lets a love interest become a relationship in-game is The Witcher.
    (I'm sure there's more, but it's significant there.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If this game doesn't have the par for the course 'first insertion' joke in it like the previous two, I'll be very disappointed.

I'll admit it, I'm a big fan of the previous two games and all their little quirks. (Except the slowdown during battle which made it damn impossible to block certain attacks... and the last boss freezes.)

Regardless of how childish the Cosmospheres might have been at times, the actual story told within them was usually pretty srs bznz. Misha's comes to mind right off the bat.

Heavily considering preordering this directly from NIS... choices, choices...

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png