As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Deadlands] - Twin Rivers (IC)

13»

• CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Sir, did any of the other investigators make use of that device?" Bertram says, pointing to the device with one hand and the description in the notebook with the other.

"I do not want to get your hopes up, but I believe this device may be of assistance in finding your daughter, if we could make use of it..."

Bertram continues with a too-detailed technical explanation of the device from the notes. The specifics going over his own head at times and therefore probably incomprehensible to Jessica's father. Realizing his predicament, he looks at Brett and Finn, pleadingly, hoping they can be more persuasive.

Celebrim on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Device? No, I mean, most people don't really know about her tinkering, she's always so shy."

He looks at the notebook, reading it carefully.

"It's some kind of tracking device? But it needs the sending device...You don't think she has it...Hm...You're welcome to try to use it, maybe something'll happen..."

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brett watched the proceedings, somewhat detached as he studied the card he found. Science was most definitely not his forte, that said, it would be a good idea to be near the door in case some of the experiments decided to make a big boom.

"Sir, I think at this point, any trail we can follow is worth followin." Brett said reassuringly, nodding to Smythe.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finn falls in line next to Brett folding his arms across his chest.

"I agree. At the moment it's our only solid lead. It's best that we pursue it."

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    Is the device small enough to carry or will it need to be turned on/monitored here?

Celebrim on
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Father Quinn looks immensely confused.

"Professor, how on earth can a girl without formal mechanical training produce things like this? Surely she must have had some kind of help."

To Walker:

"Where did she even find all the material for this? I thought that Ghost stuff was awful expensive... maybe if we knew where she got it from, we might find some kind of lead?"

Popesnax on
    edited February 2011
    "Well, I showed her a few things, but she just seemed to have a knack for it. She'd dig around scrapheaps, talk to the engineers at the train yard, but most of it she just seemed to...know what to do."

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    "Let us see what this device can tell us."

Bertram turns on the device.

Celebrim on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Plays With Fire is absolutely entranced by this new find.

And still carrying a fork.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited February 2011
    Celebrim, make a Weird Science roll

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Weird Science: 3, 5

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    You turn the device on, and it comes to life with a slight hum. There's a large dial on the top of it, and after a moment, it quickly swings around like a compass, pointing out a heading. Other than that, nothing much seems to happen, just the humming and the slightly wiggling needle.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    "Mr. Walters, it appears we have a path to follow. If you would allow it, I would like to bring this device along on our search. "

Bertram picks up the device, turning it a few times to verify that the heading stays constant.

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    Finn looks on in amazement.

"Well I'll be.... That science mumbo-jumbo has some uses after all!"

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    "Reckon it does Finn, like finding heaps a trouble." Brett nodded, waiting for Mr. Walker to assent to them taking to the device.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    "If you really thing that gizmo can help you find my Jessica, by all means, take it. Just please, hurry...I don't know how much time you'll have."

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    "Thank you kindly, sir. This looks like a solid lead, hopefully we can find out where your daughter is very soon"

Finn addresses his companions.

"We should probably head out, no?"

Radical Ans on
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "I don't pretend to understand how that, er, machine, can possibly know where another machine is, but I've no reason to doubt the good doctor. Lead on, my child."

Popesnax on
    edited February 2011
    "Let's get to going." Brett says, the card disappearing up his sleeve and a deck of cards replacing it.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Bertram examines his pocket watch. "Let us meet at the stables in one half hour. Finn, can you inform the sheriff of our plans?"

He tips his hat to Mr. Walters "We will speak again as soon as we have news, sir."

Heading outside, he scans the town for a horse merchant, realizing that the device could easily lead him out into the wilderness.

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    Finn nods at Bertram, "Sure thing, Professor."

He follows suit, tips his hat to Mr. Walters, and heads off towards the sheriff's office.

Radical Ans on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jacob smiles as he sees the others emerge from beneath the house, happy that they haven't been stolen away.

"I take it you've found something?"

Edith Upwards on
    edited February 2011
    Walking back to the Sheriff Office, you see Sarah still sitting at her post. She looks up as you approach.
    "Mornin again. Something wrong?"

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Finn tips his hat.

"Hello again, ma'am. We've just finished investigating the Walter's house. I've come to let the Sheriff know we've found something."

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    She waves you in, and the sheriff looks up as you enter.

"Ah, good to see you again. Do we have some good news?"

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Finn tips his hat to the law man.

"Yeah Sheriff, seems that the Walter girl was dabbling in that whole "New Science" thing. We found a device that may lead us to where she's at."

Finn paces around the room a bit.

"So, any chance your office could spare some resources to help out with the search? Men? Gear? Really anything would be useful."

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    "New Science eh? Can't say I know much about that, but a lead's a lead. As for resources...I don't really know what to tell you, but we're streched thin as it is. Heh, I know we may look bored, but we're a lawkeeping force that'd be suitable for a town a third this size."

The sheriff leans back and looks you in the eye.

"Bout the only thing that's kept outlaws from overrunning this place is how close it is to the Lost Angels's border, they don't want anything to do with em. Course, neither do most of the people here to be totally honest, which makes more strife, it goes on and on. Hell, Sarah should be at home, she just got done with a eighteen hour shift, but she insisted on comin in. That's why I've got her guarding the clocktower."

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    "Fair enough. I figured I might as well ask, but it looks like we're the only ones on this case."

Finn turns toward the door.

"I best be heading back to meet with my fellows. We'll keep you apprised of any new developments"

With that, Finn bids goodbye to the Sheriff and Sarah and heads over to the stables.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    Brett trails after Bertram, shuffling his cards thoughtfully. Scientist girl, and that card he found, it didn't add up. Excepting maybe someone wanting the Ghost Rock and picking up a Hexslinger to make sure nothing went awry.

Regardless, it appeared he was going to have to get a horse as well. He hated riding, as it usually left to chance the idea that he would be caught out after dark, and he was going to avoid that at all costs if he could help it.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra