As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They do confirm your credit card works for the purposes of a deposit, and the legal mumbo jumbo does state that if you are a no-show and don't cancel your reservation within 72 hours your deposit is forfeit.

Usually these policies aren't congruent with companies planning on overbooking hotels. I might be naive, but it doesn't stack up. It does cover the hotel's ass for the lost day of service.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    From what I've heard from other attendees, there was an issue in the past with one of the PRIME hotels with the overbooking. The Hotel itself overbooked and couldn't make room for its bookings plus the block it has allocated to PAX. I've heard that in at least one case, the PAX people were not displaced, the non-PAX people were. It is NOT in the best interest of a conference center hotel to not honor the conference attendee block since it would not only hurt those individuals directly affected, it would destroy their reputation as a high class conference center facility. A hotel would lose far more money by displacing a few non-conference goers than it would by having the conference move elsewhere because the conference can't trust the hotel.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    From what I've heard from other attendees, there was an issue in the past with one of the PRIME hotels with the overbooking. The Hotel itself overbooked and couldn't make room for its bookings plus the block it has allocated to PAX. I've heard that in at least one case, the PAX people were not displaced, the non-PAX people were. It is NOT in the best interest of a conference center hotel to not honor the conference attendee block since it would not only hurt those individuals directly affected, it would destroy their reputation as a high class conference center facility. A hotel would lose far more money by displacing a few non-conference goers than it would by having the conference move elsewhere because the conference can't trust the hotel.

That's a really good point. The only reason I was paranoid in the first place was I thought that there was actually problems last year at PAX East where people were bumped.

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yea, that sounds about right (them booting non-PAX people). I used to work at a hotel. That would be something I could see happening.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure the people that got bumped were not booked through the PAX hotel system. The only instance of hotel issues at Prime was a couple years ago when the Oakland Raiders were in town. The Grand Hyatt bumped some PAX people (including enforcers) to the Hyatt on 8th until they got a call from Robert Khoo.

Suffice to say, the Oakland Raiders were kicked out of the Grand Hyatt that day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    anyone know when the hotels get the PAX reservation information? Im guessing i should wait another week or so for it to appear but im not certain

I e-mailed OnPeak, and they told me the reservation information goes out to the hotels on Friday (February 18).

Angrypasta on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the people that got bumped were not booked through the PAX hotel system. The only instance of hotel issues at Prime was a couple years ago when the Oakland Raiders were in town. The Grand Hyatt bumped some PAX people (including enforcers) to the Hyatt on 8th until they got a call from Robert Khoo.

Suffice to say, the Oakland Raiders were kicked out of the Grand Hyatt that day.

I <3 this story so much.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I <3 this story so much.

No kidding! That's awesome! lol

Thanks, Moe! I feel a lot better now! :)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    anyone know when the hotels get the PAX reservation information? Im guessing i should wait another week or so for it to appear but im not certain

I e-mailed OnPeak, and they told me the reservation information goes out to the hotels on Friday (February 18).

Hooray!

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If the 9 other rooms at the Park Plaza Hotel & Towers are doing the whole trading card thing, let me know and we can all swap!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    maybe this is a silly question, but this is my first convention so bear with me: when pax reserves a "block," does this just mean a bunch of rooms, or are they literally a block, as in all of the rooms are in the same area? should i expect to be totally surrounded by paxers in my westin block (awesome) or will i need to seek them out?

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Block means a number of rooms. There's no guarantee that they will all be together.

However, since the Westin is attached to the BCEC, it's probably safe to assume that the extreme greater majority of people in the hotel will be there for PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    meggomeggo Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    PM me/reply if you're staying at 40 Berkeley? Would be fun to have a pack of PAXers to travel with in between the hostel and convention center. Also, DS multiplayer at breakfast? Anyone? :)

meggo on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If they boot PAX'ers, they break the contract. If they break the contract, they usually have to pay or refund money to the conference organizer, or Comp a whole shitload of stuff. In the weeks leading up, if there's a squeeze on reservations, they'll ask for release of some of the block if you haven't booked it out, but that's the only time the block really alters.
    There's also the opportunity to increase the block during the early stages of booking. I'm guessing the PAX block is practically the whole hotel, and you really don't want to do anything to piss off a client that big.

schuss on
  • Options
    SpyPoetSpyPoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a few questions:

1) Anyone know the check in time for the Boston Westin attached to the BCEC?
    2) Anyone know the check out time for the same hotel?
    3) Anyone have any info on the rules for roll-away beds at the Westin? Cost, if we can keep one the whole weekend, or what?

I've tried calling, but I'm getting nowhere fast. Thanks!

SpyPoet on
    PAX Prime 2011 Details
    [ ] Transport Brought GAAAAH
    [X] Ticket Brought Enforcer.
    [ ] Hotel Paid For This may be where I get screwed.
    [ ] Cosplay ask nabs/notaboyscout >:3
  • Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SpyPoet wrote: »
    I have a few questions:

3) Anyone have any info on the rules for roll-away beds at the Westin? Cost, if we can keep one the whole weekend, or what?

Check In is 3pm and Check Out is 12 Noon per the Westin Boston Waterfront site. The site also lists rollaway beds for an option, though I'm not sure how much they cost. Maybe someone else here has already inquired that could help with the actual $$$.

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The charges noted below are for your information should you require a rollaway or crib during your stay. Restrictions or availability for the items below may apply to specific room types.
    Extra rollaway: No charge
    Child rollaway: No charge
    Crib: No charge

In Terms & Details if you go through their online booking, below room details.

I thought I read somewhere it was $30 a night, but I can't find that now and their site says its free.. Must've been a different hotel.

Tuft on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Tuft wrote: »

I thought I read somewhere it was $30 a night, but I can't find that now and their site says its free.. Must've been a different hotel.

i don't know, i had the same thought. definitely remember something about $30. can't find the info either, but i didn't even look at other hotels and i doubt it's a coincidence we'd remember the same price. hmmm...

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SpyPoet wrote: »
    I have a few questions:

It has been my experience with regards to rollaways at various hotels that:
    - they run out really fast, and
    - you can't get one in a room that already has two beds

tl;dr I wouldn't count on one existing, bring an air mattress

antherem on
  • Options
    NeatoNeato Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »

i don't know, i had the same thought. definitely remember something about $30. can't find the info either, but i didn't even look at other hotels and i doubt it's a coincidence we'd remember the same price. hmmm...

If you look at hotel information for the Westin Boston Waterfront, it says it under special requirements. I found it under the description for a few others.

Neato on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Neato wrote: »

If you look at hotel information for the Westin Boston Waterfront, it says it under special requirements. I found it under the description for a few others.

ah, i see, it was in the information provided by onpeak:

"Hotel offers a rollaway for $30 (rate is subject to change without notice) per night in rooms with only one bed."

the westin site may suggest they are free, but i'd be prepared for this charge just in case. also, i strongly agree that--unless you're showing up way early in the week--it's best to plan on rollaways being all out. air mattresses are fairly cheap, and you can reuse them for future cons. definitely worth the investment.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    in case anyone was wondering, i just checked the westin website and they have my reservation info on file. you can go get a confirmation emailed to you, or print it directly from the site. maybe i'm just paranoid, but i like the idea of having a confirmation from the hotel, not just from onpeak.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    in case anyone was wondering, i just checked the westin website and they have my reservation info on file. you can go get a confirmation emailed to you, or print it directly from the site. maybe i'm just paranoid, but i like the idea of having a confirmation from the hotel, not just from onpeak.

Same, yay! Nothing left to worry about but beer funds! XD

Tuft on
  • Options
    Fr00tyTangFr00tyTang regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally made my reservations last night. I'll see all you InterContinental folks there!

Fr00tyTang on
  • Options
    frecklefreckle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JetBlue had a killer vacation getaway package where I walked away with two flights out of Chicago and five nights at the Nine Zero hotel for an unbelievable price. I'm sure it will be lonely at the Nine Zero, in regards to PAXers, but who wants to prove me wrong?

I'm staying at Nine Zero too. Be my swanky hotel friend!

freckle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Were you able to actually view the details of your reservation? I found mine, but it just says:

We have found your reservation. It is not possible to display this particular reservation online. This is usually due to an unusual or complex rate or set of rates associated with the reservation in question. For questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Customer Contact Center nearest you.

Angrypasta on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Angrypasta wrote: »

Were you able to actually view the details of your reservation? I found mine, but it just says:

We have found your reservation. It is not possible to display this particular reservation online. This is usually due to an unusual or complex rate or set of rates associated with the reservation in question. For questions regarding this reservation, please contact the Customer Contact Center nearest you.

yup, i got that at first too, but here's how i accessed the actual details: click on 'send confirmation'. if you provided an email address, it might just go ahead and send it, but i didn't so it asked me to change my details and add an email address. click 'change' and it will take you to a page where you can edit your reservation details. i had a problem adding the email and was scared of messing something up, so from there i click 'stop changes: go to original reservation'. then it will take you to a page with all your details. ta da!

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    mactromactro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey Guys,
    I'm going to PAX East, as many of you are. I'm fortunate enough to be a Hyatt employee -
    Here's the deal. I've got a room at about $80 a night from Thurs the 10th to Sunday the 13th.

Post a reply or PM me with your story and it might just be your lucky weekend in two weeks!

mac

mactro on
    You can't spell assassin without sin, and twice the ass!
  • Options
    GewurztraminGewurztramin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Im at the Hilton Back Bay, anyone else?

Gewurztramin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yo!

I'm a hotel employee of one of the major chain hotels a block or so from the Convention Center, where PAX is being held.
    I am fortunate to have more than one room and space which I don't need. So, anyone need a room (My employee discount $80/night) or just to room (negotiable)
    Reply or PM me your story!

Mac

mactro on
  • Options
    FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mac, you might be better off posting in the Hotel room sharing thread that is stickied above this. More people will see it, and that's where everyone has been posting hotel room stuff.

FoggyKnight on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mactro wrote: »
    Yo!

I'm a hotel employee of one of the major chain hotels a block or so from the Convention Center, where PAX is being held.
    I am fortunate to have more than one room and space which I don't need. So, anyone need a room (My employee discount $80/night) or just to room (negotiable)

Mac

Is your employer cool with that? I may be wrong but that instantly rubs me the wrong way.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    heels wrote: »
    mactro wrote: »
    Yo!

Mac

Is your employer cool with that? I may be wrong but that instantly rubs me the wrong way.

Heels - it's fine because it's under my name still and I obviously would like to get to know who is staying in any one of my rooms. If no one talks to me between now and next Friday I'll probably just cancel the other.

Let me know!
    mac

mactro on
  • Options
    DJ LushiousDJ Lushious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    freckle wrote: »
    JetBlue had a killer vacation getaway package where I walked away with two flights out of Chicago and five nights at the Nine Zero hotel for an unbelievable price. I'm sure it will be lonely at the Nine Zero, in regards to PAXers, but who wants to prove me wrong?

I'm staying at Nine Zero too. Be my swanky hotel friend!
    And prove me wrong you have!

One of Major Nelson's cronies will be at the Nine Zero, too. Either Stepto or E. I don't remember which one at this moment, though. O_o

We should make it a point to run around the hotel at least once, petting all of the uber-rich people's pets!

DJ Lushious on
  • Options
    rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just got confirmation of my reservation with Seaport (via PAX), yay! Although it's listed 1 guest, not 2...

rnicoll on
  • Options
    hardreturnhardreturn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

how? i tried the my reservation link, my last name and cc but comes up with nothing :(

hardreturn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    hardreturn wrote: »

how? i tried the my reservation link, my last name and cc but comes up with nothing :(

hmm, not sure what to tell you, that's how i logged in. did you get this message:

...or nothing at all?

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd really like to confirm my reservation with the Holiday Inn Brookline, but I'm not sure how. I have the On Peak confirmation, but I'd really like to be sure about the hotel, as I'm booking it for not only me, but three friends too, and we're all pretty strapped for cash, so finding another place last-minute doesn't sound like fun.

I've never booked a hotel on my own, so I'm totally in the dark and feel silly. :P

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
  • Options
    hardreturnhardreturn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hardreturn wrote: »

hmm, not sure what to tell you, that's how i logged in. did you get this message:

...or nothing at all?

"No reservations were found for this account. If you are missing a reservation, you can locate itusing a confirmation number, a credit card or another member number."

hardreturn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'd really like to confirm my reservation with the Holiday Inn Brookline, but I'm not sure how. I have the On Peak confirmation, but I'd really like to be sure about the hotel, as I'm booking it for not only me, but three friends too, and we're all pretty strapped for cash, so finding another place last-minute doesn't sound like fun.

I've never booked a hotel on my own, so I'm totally in the dark and feel silly. :P

I had some problems confirming my reservation at this hotel last year, basically, whatever you do, don't try to confirm it via their dedicated reservation system (which will probably end with you speaking to somebody in India).

Instead, ask to speak to the front desk of the hotel directly, and make it extremely clear that you are staying in the PAX East block.

Angrypasta on