As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My first animation class

thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys. I wanted to get some help from you. Mostly wanted to see how you felt about this quick animation i did over the week and it's apart of the course where we use the Luxo lamp originally made famous by Pixar's short "Luxo Jr"

basicly our assignment is to practice with emotion with this lamp.

I know there's some great artists here . I've lurked here a lot and have seen a lot of work. Looking for anything you can help me with. thanks guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3NVf_ER1c0 here's the non textured with nurbs curves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWXX42LOowg and heres a more recent version

Its a story about 2 lamps and a light bulb in the middle. One of them is greedy and goes for it. Later on in our lighting class, I haven't taken my first one yet, but i'm thinking of making thier bulbs flicker so it's justified why they want the bulb.

Thanks for any feedback

xbl tag: Dynamis King
MineCraft: Menetherin
Steam: Vloeza_SE++

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seems like you're on the right track, and it's definitely not bad for a WIP. I have to say though, it's always enough of a stretch for me when inanimate objects become animate, but warping the bulb to simulate his tongue sticking out is a little over the top I think. Mostly because no other feather simulate human portions, so it seems out of place.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Awesome. I'll get to thinking of something to replace that.

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some of the movements are little too robotic, and the blue lamp rattles and shakes his "head" far too much.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would say you’re defiantly on the right track. Not sure I would agree with the light bulb turning into a tongue being out of place. After all you have an animated lamp, how plausible is the whole thing? I personally would say given the context you should enjoy the artistic freedom to stretch reality.

Some of the movements seem rather forced and unbalanced. Especially the initial jump of the lamp on the left when it hops over to the bulb. You might want to try two hops or simply have it land short and reach out and grab the bulb. After it has put the bulb on its foot and turns that whole scene is well crafted and I enjoy the slight bouncing of the bulb.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i dont like the blue lamp jump. it looks to mee that it is all at the one constant speed. it shoudl start off fast, get slower at the midpoint of the jump at speed up again for the landing.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Okay. worked a little bit on the animation. I changed the ending and simplified it a whole lot from before.

I changed the Jump. Thank you for that advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6I44aweOE

thedude_frombaywatch on