As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BSOD Kernel inpage error

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
Posting from a phone right now because my machine has shut down, and won't boot. For a while it would slooooowly get to the OS and error out after a bit if any programs were actually running, but was fine if nothing at all was happening. Now it seems to get past the very first step of booting up, freeze for a while, and restart. It won't even allow safe mode to start.

The error on the BSOD was "kernel inpage error". Any idea what the hell is wrong with it? I am supposing/hoping it may be memory related and I can just slot in some new RAM.

Also I'm running Windows 7 Professional OEM. Aaaand I can't remember enough of my specs to be that useful. Radeon 4850, Intel 64-bit, I should really have this memorized.

Also, starting from the CD slowly gives me the option to start installing on my D: partition, or to run a repair on the Windows 7 install there. Which is weird because here isn't any install there. Memory test did run and find nothing at all.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE is a bad block on the HDD in the portion sequestered for page file. If you can't boot safemode, install your HDD in another (working) computer and run a full chkdsk on it. Then if you can boot;

Turn off pagefile
    reboot to safe mode
    defrag
    schedule a chkdsk /r at next reboot
    reboot (and let chkdsk run)
    turn page file back on
    reboot

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah excellent. I have been able to get it to start up a few times. I'll give that a shot.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oooh ooh - I just helped my brother fix this.

If you have Windows Vista or 7, you can hit F8 before Windows boots and hit "Launch Start Up Repair" or something named like that. It will run the chkdsk for you automatically and fix everything.

Standard feature in new Windows - it's very helpful!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That severely underestimates the extent of my problem. I cannot get anywhere near the startup repair. Shit. I got it started up once and now it won't progress past a blank screen. Unless I boot from the CD. In which case it hangs permanently on install. God for a Unix boot HDD.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Okay! After setting up a temporary hdd and playing around, there appears to be some kind of answer: bad sectors, probably on the pagefile? What the heck do I do to get this thing functional?

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Run ViVARD on it (available on Hiren's Boot CD, UBCD, other stuff) and also run a chkdsk (you can get to this by popping your Windows CD in usually and going to the recovery console). At this point you're going to want a new HD, I'm thinking.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dang. Well, I do have one I can use, at least. Maybe the old one is under warranty still, that would be nice.

Any idea what the hell would cause this? I haven't been juggling the thing, and it's only a year and a bit old.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hard drive gnomes. It might actually be fine but I'd say there's a fairly good chance it isn't.

TychoCelchuuu on