As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Solicitations for May 2011

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Graphic Violence
When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So many books, about 80 of them not counting the spotlights or those $1.00 issues.

Thunderbolts, Avengers Academy Giant Size, Ultimate Spider-Man, Annihilators, Heroes for Hire, that's about it.

Not really interested in Youth in Revolt if it's going to be 6 issues, I'll wait for the trade. X-Men #11 has no artist (that is so annoying to see) and on top of that deals with Jubilee being a vampire, which is what I thought her mini was supposed to do. Double dipped the vampire chip. I wonder if we'll be seeing more of Gage co-write ASM because really, Dan Slott can't even do one book a month.

TexiKen on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Motherfucker, I have tried to skip Iron Man 2.0, despite me liking Spencers work.

Then you had to bring in Iron Fist and the Immortal Weapons, you jerk.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lot's of Fear Itself tie-ins, not too pumped about that.

Apart from that a bunch of regular stuff

Really I am sort of pissed that we only got a year off events before going back to them, if I'm honest.

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    Also I am loving that ASM is living up the promise of being the "Marvel Universe" book. It is fun as hell and Spidey is the best he has been in a while, which is saying something.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stupid X-Factor solit is a spoiler:
    One of Monet's teammates is gonna get gunned down. I'm guessing it's an X-Factor member, as most of Generation X is already dead.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Dan SlottDan Slott Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Dan Slott can't even do one book a month.

Actually... This month you get 4 issues of ASM out of me. On top of the usual 2 that I plotted and scripted (ASM #654.1 and #655), you also got 2 that I plotted and Fred Van Lente scripted (ASM #653 and #654). On top of that ASM #655 goes to a full 30 pages and I plotted and scripted the back-up in #654... So that's an additional 16 pages of ASM material beyond the usual 4 issues of most comics.

In May, the reason that there's only 1 dedicated issue of ASM by me in the solicits... is that that's the month the ASM FREE COMIC BOOK DAY issue comes out. It's a full length done-in-one adventure by both myself and Humberto Ramos, it's in continuity, and it actually sets up some important Spidey stuff for later. So basically in May you're getting 4 issues of ASM. And two of them are completely plotted & scripted by me. And one of 'em's FREE! :)

So there. :-P

Mwah.

Dan Slott on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    -Having someone besides Jeff Parker write the Agents of Atlas, in a big event tie-in no less, worries me. Those characters have "cannon fodder" written all over them.

-The Avengers are stealing the JLA's thunder, with a cover featuring all of them knocked out and lying amongst rubble.

-Adi Granov continues the tradition of drawing Beast inconsistently, on the Secret Avengers cover.

-War Machine teams up with The Immortal Weapons and Iron Fist, as written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Ariel Olivetti? Nice.

-Marvel keeps giving Orson Scott Card work, and should be ashamed of themselves.

-Surprise, a whole bunch of Captain America shit. Good creative teams all around really, but nothing that seems to stand out.

-Chris Gage is writing Amazing Spider-Man. With Van Lente doing the dialogue for the most recent issues of ASM, I get the feeling Slott's not really up to the job of writing Spider-Man bi-weekly.

-Red Hulk gets a rogues gallery. Neat!

-Two-Gun Kid versus Skaar? I like the character due to his appearance in Slott's She-Hulk, so that should be fun.

-Todd DeZago's writing Marvel Adventures: Super Heroes. Tellos was a lot of fun, so that could be good.

-Jack of Hearts is starring in Marvel Zombies? Looks like he gambled his way out of Hell after all.

-Deadpool's beginning an arc about him trying to commit suicide. That could be a lot of fun, and may even have some good pay-off when he meets Death, if Way handles it well.

-I'm amazed Namor's still going on.

-Oh boy, Mark Millar's Trouble is now available in a deluxe hardcover! Y'know, just in case you ever wanted a comic about Aunt May having sex.

edit: Oh hey, it's Dan Slott.

Munch on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dan Slott wrote: »

Actually... This month you get 4 issues of ASM out of me. On top of the usual 2 that I plotted and scripted (ASM #654.1 and #655), you also got 2 that I plotted and Fred Van Lente scripted (ASM #653 and #654). On top of that ASM #655 goes to a full 30 pages and I plotted and scripted the back-up in #654... So that's an additional 16 pages of ASM material beyond the usual 4 issues of most comics.

In May, the reason that there's only 1 dedicated issue of ASM by me in the solicits... is that that's the month the ASM FREE COMIC BOOK DAY issue comes out. It's a full length done-in-one adventure by both myself and Humberto Ramos, it's in continuity, and it actually sets up some important Spidey stuff for later. So basically in May you're getting 4 issues of ASM. And two of them are completely plotted & scripted by me. And one of 'em's FREE! :)

Mwah.

Okay, if this is the real Dan Slott, then welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the info. I'm curious how you happened to stumble upon the GV forums, since we're a pretty low population sub-forum by Penny-Arcade standards.

Also, that makes 3 big name creators that have posted in here so far. Hopefully Gredavin's Image comics take off and then we can say it's 4.

EDIT: Also, I just want to note that I have a Ren & Stimpy comic from waaay back in the day that you wrote. It's the issue about Goo-gum. I was sorting my singles and did a double take when I saw your name on the writing credits.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    -AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BY DAVID MICHELINIE & TODD MCFARLANE OMNIBUS HC

I get to relive my childhood for $99.99, all the while cursing my mother for throwing out my single copies of these.

Between this and the five volumes of The Clone Saga I'll have so many mediocre to pretty good Spidey stories to read. Now if I could only find the time.

Maximum on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »

Mwah.

Okay, if this is the real Dan Slott, then welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the info. I'm curious how you happened to stumble upon the GV forums, since we're a pretty low population sub-forum by Penny-Arcade standards.

Also, that makes 3 big name creators that have posted in here so far. Hopefully Gredavin's Image comics take off and then we can say it's 4.

EDIT: Also, I just want to note that I have a Ren & Stimpy comic from waaay back in the day that you wrote. It's the issue about Goo-gum. I was sorting my singles and did a double take when I saw your name on the writing credits.

I hope it is Dan Slott, because you're awesome. You make me proud to be a Spider-fan.

cardboard delusions on
    edited February 2011

Mwah.

Welcome to the board. But to be fair, ASM #653 was supposed to ship in January, so you can't really count that (and #650 was the only issue that shipped in December), and you were shown to be the sole writer for 653 & 654 in the January & February solicits

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Who cares about Slott's work ethic? I want to know when we can see the Great Lakes Avengers again.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2011
    They're only allowed out of storage every couple years, and only so Squirrel Girl can beat up Galactus.

wwtMask on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In May, I think I'll be down to just FF and no other Marvel books.

I'm curious to see Bendis's flagship avengers tie-in arc for Fear Itself. If this really is a big, smack-em-around type crossover, it'll be interesting to read an event where Bendis writes the main big brawler book but not the event itself. Might pick that up in trade.

Also, it sounds like the hype around Deadpool might be receding finally. Deadpool MAX is now listed as a 12 issue maxi series (I'll probably get the second half in trade). And Way's new arc is solicited as if its the end of the series.

HadjiQuest on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    -Marvel keeps giving Orson Scott Card work, and should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm curious: do you say this because of his political views? I ask because I've long had a debate with myself about separating the artist from the art. On the the one hand, I feel like if I think that a creator's beliefs are reprehensible, I shouldn't partake of the art they create. On the other, I disagree with Card pretty strongly, but "Ender's Game" is still one of the most gripping things I've ever read, and there's really not much I can do about that. Dave Sim has some pretty... specific views on women, but Cerebus is still considered a pretty high-quality and important work. I've heard that Doug TenNapel is super-Conservative (although I've never seen any examples of him being that way), but the guy is an amazing cartoonist, and it's hard for me not to like his work (dude created Earthworm Jim, if nothing else).

I guess I should just spin this out into a separate discussion: How do you approach a creator's work when you disagree with the creator's philosophy/find the creator's philosophy reprehensible?

Unless, of course, you just think that Card's work is crap, Munch. In which case, uh, nevermind.

Delduwath on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Journey Into Mystery looks good. Hopefully Gillen can ride to his own tune a little more in this one.

Iron Man 2.0 will probably be the first Spencer Marvel book I pick up. Though if things keep going like they are he will be writing every single marvel book by August.

BOTH of the Avengers Academy covers make me want to start reading the book. Billy Tan is just getting better and better.

Same with ASM. That Stefano Castelli just sells it. The fact that he's doing the interiors is even better. He did the arc that just came out right? With Scorpion?

"Which Captain America foe is kicking Paladin's teeth in?" I hope it's Batroc. I ALWAYS hope it's Batroc.
    SECRET WARRIORS #27
    Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
    Penciled by ALESSANDRO VITTI
    Cover by PAUL RENAUD
    Ignore everything you've heard about when this series is ending!
    IT'S NOT THIS ISSUE. Jonathan Hickman lost his mind and wrote too huge an ending to just be contained in ONE ISSUE! Join us this month for the PENULTIMATE issue of SECRET WARRIORS! It's Wheels within Wheels, Part 4: I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
    Sometimes the solicit writers amuse me

MastaP on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy crap Dan Slott was here

holy crap

I was going to talk about how bummed I was at the lack of Uncanny and how I was hoping the Spider-Man event is a Spider-Girl/Venom crossover but holy crap Dan Slott

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    There's no Uncanny, Legacy or New Mutants. And I don't see anything on Gillen's twitter about it being delayed.

But everything changes with the X-Men in July! Again! With a 5th new title!

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    Oh yeah I didn't even notice the lack of Legacy or New Mutants. That's also weird.

Furu on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Definitely looking forward to Rulk finally having his own rogues and the newest Heroes for Hire will always get me psyched up.

Plus Two Gun Kid is fighting Skaar, so, you know, I'm there with fuckin' bells on.

And I don't know about anyone else, but i can't wait for Future Foundation, although Spider-man is getting Wolvie-Syndrome, two Avengers teams and the new FF? Who will throw sarcastic yet lovable barbs about being on too many teams at him, hmm?

Edit: Also, Marvel should decide just which costume Danny Rand is sporting...

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm curious: do you say this because of his political views? I ask because I've long had a debate with myself about separating the artist from the art. On the the one hand, I feel like if I think that a creator's beliefs are reprehensible, I shouldn't partake of the art they create. On the other, I disagree with Card pretty strongly, but "Ender's Game" is still one of the most gripping things I've ever read, and there's really not much I can do about that. Dave Sim has some pretty... specific views on women, but Cerebus is still considered a pretty high-quality and important work. I've heard that Doug TenNapel is super-Conservative (although I've never seen any examples of him being that way), but the guy is an amazing cartoonist, and it's hard for me not to like his work (dude created Earthworm Jim, if nothing else).

I guess I should just spin this out into a separate discussion: How do you approach a creator's work when you disagree with the creator's philosophy/find the creator's philosophy reprehensible?

Unless, of course, you just think that Card's work is crap, Munch. In which case, uh, nevermind.
    I'll spoil this, since it's long, and not especially germane to the thread's topic.
    Here's the thing: I can disagree with a creator's religious/political/societal views, and still enjoy their work, up to a point.

Chuck Dixon's very conservative, clearly has a little discomfort towards gay people, and generally is someone I probably wouldn't enjoy being around in real life. But he's never said anything so egregious, that I'd never want to give him another cent of my money. Same with TenNapel. At some point in the future, they might, and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But, when John Byrne says that America needs to, "--go Old Testament on these motherfuckers. Operation Flaming Sword. Find them and kill them. And kill their wives, their children, their mothers, their fathers, their brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers. Go Super-Israel, and let them know what it feels like to be “at war” with the United States," I feel pretty secure in my decision to never support that man's work again. Because I don't want to give money to people that are sociopaths.

When Dave Sim says women are, "--a gender which has no ethics, no scruples, no sense of right and wrong," I again feel completely justified in not supporting any of his lunatic anti-feminist bullshit.

And when Orson Scott Card says, "Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society," I think he, and any who would knowingly enrich a person so hateful that they want to lock people up just for having sex, should be very ashamed of themselves.

It's kind of like the situation with that Heavy Ink guy. The dude can write all the crazy anti-government crap he wants and we'll be square, though I'll think he's a lunatic and he'll probably think I'm a liberal pussy. But when he gleefully celebrates the deaths of innocent people, it's pretty easy to see that's where you draw the line.

Everyone has their own line on when they'll stop supporting a creator's work, because of the creator's views. Some Green Lantern fans would probably drop all the books, if Geoff Johns said he preferred Count Chocula to Boo Berry. And some would probably still buy them if he slapped them in the mouth.

Well, so long as he was wearing a Green Lantern ring, and later claimed to be possessed by the Fear Entity.

Munch on
    edited February 2011
    Well now that I have roused myself from the Marvels and the Capcoms I guess I'll do a little rant on tie-ins

I don't really mindthem all that much because they are within their own books, well mostly. I know some people get upset about how a book ties-in to an event they don't care about, which I can understand.

The thing is, it falls all on the writer whether or not a tie-in is good or not. Take a look at the three-part Incredible Hulks tie-in to Chaos War, while it was clearly aided by being the same writer for both, it told a self-contained story and fed directly into the next story arc. Yes there was a fight between the Hulk Family and Chaos King that wasn't in the books, but if you don't care about the event it doesn't really matter. I just think in-book tie-ins make more sense, story-wise and financially, than a billion miniseries that won't all sell.

Another bonus that tie-ins can have is more people picking up the books, slagging series have always shown a small boost with a tie-in. I mean look at Iron Man 2.0, I wasn't planning on buying it but lo and behold it's a tie-in guest starring the Immortal Weapons. Sold.

I just think in-book tie-ins make more sense, story-wise and financially, than a billion miniseries that won't all sell. I'm sure it sounds like I am targeting Flashpoint(Which, at 15 minis, is more than a little ridiculous) but Marvel has fallen prey to this before. Siege had a barrage of one-shots and minis that were either unnecessary or could have been worked into existing titles.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2011
    Oh hey Young Allies are going to be in Avenger Academy

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    I like the look of Silver Surfer and Annihilators

And War Machine with Iron Fist could be great.

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort/q/162201389580194008

All the missing X-books are indeed coming out in May

Whew!

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    I just want to say that the Van Lente & Pak team has reached the DnA level in my estimation, in that I just assume that any project with them writing together will be awesome.

wwtMask on
    edited February 2011
    Van Lente rarely does anything wrong as far as I am concerned

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    No doubt about that. Somehow, though, he manages to elevate his game when collaborating with Pak.

wwtMask on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really did enjoy the Prince of Power mini they did. Can't see anything they do together sucking. Go team.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Even the stuff Van Lente did for Platinum Studios, which seems like the most mercenary, I'm-doing-this-to-buy-groceries kind of work, was pretty great. Hotshot and Mighty Girl's one of the better teen superhero books I've read in the past few years, and Watchdogs was basically Kick-Ass (But Better), years before Kick-Ass came out.

Munch on
    edited February 2011
    No one else can make me give a rat's ass about alpha flight

Also uh just realized that the text on the Spider-Girl cover is copypasted from the wiki article. For May.

Might want to get on that guys!

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm, didn't know that FVL co-wrote Cowboys and Aliens. Hopefully he's getting some of that sweet sweet Hollywood cash from that one.

wwtMask on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's no Uncanny, Legacy or New Mutants. And I don't see anything on Gillen's twitter about it being delayed.

But everything changes with the X-Men in July! Again! With a 5th new title!

From Gillen's blog:
    Marvel’s May solicits have also gone live. The majority of the X-books aren’t in there, for reasons that’ll become apparent shortlyish. Announcement incoming.

admanb on
    edited February 2011
    So I guess there really is going to be a Peace-train/Crazy-train division among the X-Men.

TexiKen on