As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeon Keeper 2

Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
Anyone still play this classic gem? I stumbled upon it and got it to run in Win7 (using win95 emulation)

I really forgot how entertaining it is and how well polished the game play was. Amazing we can have 385 RTS clones but not one modern remake of this game or even decent clone by another company.

And yes I am aware of the new Dungeons game but the game play, goals is night and day difference.

I even forgot about the MP element.. anyone care for a game sometime?

-Harlequin
Admin of World of Darkness News
News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG
Harlequin Shadowlands on

• Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I replayed it a couple of years back and had to go through hell (hurr) and back in order to get it running smoothly on WinXP. Might give it another shot on Win7 since you seemed to fare okay. Did you manage to get the editor working as well?

Ed321 on
  • Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ed321 wrote: »
    I replayed it a couple of years back and had to go through hell (hurr) and back in order to get it running smoothly on WinXP. Might give it another shot on Win7 since you seemed to fare okay. Did you manage to get the editor working as well?

Indeed. All I had to do was give the app admin rights and use win95 emulation and it works fine.

HOWEVER that was on my desktop which has a nvidia 260 GTX card

My win7 laptop which has a ATI card would not render the graphics under the same settings. Not sure if it has something to do with a lower end card or ATI specific.

Hope that helps.

Harlequin Shadowlands on
    -Harlequin
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I always enjoyed Dungeon Keeper 1 a little more, I'm not sure why. I'd love some multiplayer fun on this though if it actually works.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In order to run DK2 on ATI systems, turn off 3D acceleration. It looks just a liiiiiittle bit worse and plays very well. Unlike, say, MW3.

I could never get past a level you had to fight 2 rival keepers. Not enough gold or critters.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I always enjoyed Dungeon Keeper 1 a little more, I'm not sure why. I'd love some multiplayer fun on this though if it actually works.

I did the same. I guess it was the charm and simplicity of the first one that kept me coming back. I love that game.

Icemopper on
    edited February 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

I did the same. I guess it was the charm and simplicity of the first one that kept me coming back. I love that game.

I think I preferred the sprites over the polygons too. If I'm remembering the games right. They had much more character.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited February 2011
    Not to mention the world map.

World map in DK1: Art!

World map in DK2: Ugh!

Icemopper on
    edited February 2011
    Damn it, now I want to play Dungeon Keeper, which will involve several hours of trying to get it to work.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited February 2011
    Holy hell, that's fantastic. I'll be downloading that tonight. By the looks of things it also supports online play too.

::edit:: On second look it may not support online play. This is a shame, I'd love to play Dungeon Keeper with some people.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To get DKII to work properly if you have an nVidia card, do all the command line stuff you can find with any old google search, and then use the nVidia control panel to set Antialiasing and Threaded Optimisation off for dkii.exe. That's what worked for me. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't confirm specifics, and I don't know if a similar method would work for ATI cards.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    I don't understand how that KeeperFX thing is legit. Is it licensed?

Icemopper on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Probably my favorite pc game of all time. I spent more hours on this than Planescape, and that's a lot of hours.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I recently played through the entire campaign with anticipation for dungeons, I had almost no problems getting the game to run on my xp box, however i've moved onto black and white now and there is nothing I can do to get the textures to not spazz out :?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I recently played through the entire campaign with anticipation for dungeons, I had almost no problems getting the game to run on my xp box, however i've moved onto black and white now and there is nothing I can do to get the textures to not spazz out :?

Clearly Black & White is trying to save you from the pain and suffering that comes with playing it :P

But yeah, back on topic, Dungeon Keeper 2 is great. I reaaaaally with they would have freaking made DK3. God damn Molyneux.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited February 2011
    Black & White hate does not compute.

But yes, DK3 should happen. I want it to happen.

Icemopper on
    edited February 2011
    Really? Black & White was an awful "game" (and I put game in quotes because there really wasn't much gameplay to the thing). It was a buggy mess, with only 5 levels, most of which were broken. It had a virtual pet who was dumb as a rock, a terrible gesture system that didn't work, required you to deforest the entire map to make a hut, and really didn't have much gameplay beyond "throw a bunch of grain/fireballs at enemy towns until they like/fear you."

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited February 2011
    I enjoyed it.:(

Icemopper on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd expect this from you Warlock, preferring zero mission over fusion and now this!

Anyway, Black and White is awesome. I never could find that damn last sheep, though.

But back on topic, I've actually never played DK2. DK1 is an awesome game though. I've actually been playing it recently.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn it, now I want to play Dungeon Keeper, which will involve several hours of trying to get it to work.

DosBox. Use it. Love it.

I actually just reloaded DK1 last week and it works flawlessly on my Win7 box via DosBox.

Jubal77 on
    edited February 2011
    DK2 is much better than DK1, though I will say that DK1 feels like a better tested game. I get the impression that for DK2 they stole a lot of code from DK1 (like AI) and then added onto it, and the stuff they added doesn't mesh 100% well with the original code. The main thing is they added "moods" so your monsters can get unhappy and refuse to work, etc. Except this seems to glitch out sometimes where it's impossible to get a monster to work or it's just in a bad mood for no reason. Things like locking a monster in a workshop so they make stuff worked really well in DK1, but in DK2 it just tends to piss them off and they stop working all together. It's a little screwy.

That being said though, DK2 really makes huge improvements over DK1 and in general is a pretty fantastic game. The only problem is it ends too quickly :(

Warlock82 on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Black & White was my Spore ^1000

Oh how disappointing I got. And how much I suffered while trying to endure it.

What a shitty game.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011

What a shitty game.

Yeah as disappointing as Spore was, it was a million times better than B&W IMO. At the very least, designing creatures was enjoyable.

Warlock82 on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

What a shitty game.

Yeah as disappointing as Spore was, it was a million times better than B&W IMO. At the very least, designing creatures was enjoyable.
    Spore was better than B&W? That's crazy talk.

Also, DK1 does have moods. Your monsters can get pissed and start destroying your dungeon.

anoffday on
    edited February 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

What a shitty game.

Spore was better than B&W? That's crazy talk.

Also, DK1 does have moods. Your monsters can get pissed and start destroying your dungeon.

I think they added some gradients to it in DK2. Honestly I can't remember the difference because it's been awhile since I've played either :P

Warlock82 on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the only reason I remember is I was just playing the other day and a demon got pissed and started wrecking my wall, so I proceeded to slap the living the crap out of him and accidentally killed him. Oops. Oh well he made a good example of what happens if you are out of line in my dungeon.

mwhahahaha....sorry. Being evil is too fun.

edit: Also, why is everyone playing DK all of a sudden? I mean, it's awesome, but is it because of this Dungeons game?

anoffday on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've had DK2 sitting in front of me for ages now, and I've been dying to play it. Unfortunately, I have the disc in some generic cd case and not with the cd key. Seems to be an ever constant problem with my old PC games.

Endaro on
    edited February 2011
    In order to run DK2 on ATI systems, turn off 3D acceleration. It looks just a liiiiiittle bit worse and plays very well. Unlike, say, MW3.

I could never get past a level you had to fight 2 rival keepers. Not enough gold or critters.

huh I'll try this thanks!

Harlequin Shadowlands on
    -Harlequin
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was never really able to get into DK2, which is surprising given just how much I loved the first one. I'll have to re-install DK2 and see whether it fares any better in my opinion nowadays. Luckily for me, I know precisely where my discs for it are.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The original box for Dungeon Keeper 2 has a slip of paper in it.

On one side was the Dungeon Keeper 2 logo.

On the other side was the license information for the song "Disco Inferno."

They let you find out why.

august on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This seems investigating btw, despite being an evil, evil facebook game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knT38fqIs8M

august on
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Those of you bemoaning the cancellation of DK3 should actually be relieved, as EA's plan was to turn it into a fantasy-themed Command & Conquer clone. There's a design document floating around the net somewhere.

Ed321 on
    edited February 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Yeah, the only reason I remember is I was just playing the other day and a demon got pissed and started wrecking my wall, so I proceeded to slap the living the crap out of him and accidentally killed him. Oops. Oh well he made a good example of what happens if you are out of line in my dungeon.

mwhahahaha....sorry. Being evil is too fun.

edit: Also, why is everyone playing DK all of a sudden? I mean, it's awesome, but is it because of this Dungeons game?

LOL awesome story!

I came across the .iso online and decided to see if I could get it to run on my win7 box and as I posted above it was pretty easy. Admin rights and win95 emulation and boom, worked. I am on the final level (20) of the campaign and would love to do some MP with you folks. Get in touch with me here or my site (see sig), tho I check my site much more freq then here.

For the record I owned then game before, had such fond memories and decided to play it again.

Harlequin Shadowlands on
    -Harlequin
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ahh Dungeon Keeper. Good fun. I miss it. Evil Genius is the successor IMHO, but it wasn't as good or charming.

enc0re on