As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GLBT Meetup - FRIDAY MARCH 11 AT 11 PM

• sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As long as my Omeganaut duties don't conflict, I am all for this meetup! Do we have a final date / time / location?

sofreshsodarryl on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I might be interested in showing up, depending on where it's at. I'm trying to keep my taxi use to a minimum while I'm there. And as far as shirt colors I'd recommend purple, since it's a nice neutral tone. :P

It's not a tumor on
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Friday at 11 seems likely. I'll take a closer look at the location and try to make the arrangements this week.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Yue FairchildYue Fairchild The Ace of Hz Philadelpha, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm interested, though I'm not positive how much I count. I'm trans and been on hormones for about a year, but I still pass for shit, so...yeah. If that's a reason for excluding me I'd understand.

Yue Fairchild on
  • slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why wouldn't you count?

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Yue FairchildYue Fairchild The Ace of Hz Philadelpha, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    slamonella wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you count?

I find it better not to assume things. :P

So which Uno is this, exactly?

Yue Fairchild on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    @Yue Fairchild: I came last year - I was the "O" (for old) in the LGBTOF meetup, (F was for friendly) and had fun, met lovely people, who didn't mind me being old and English! I can't come to PAX East this year, I'm sad. That evening was a highlight for me. PAX peeps are amazing - warm, fuzzy, welcoming, so go, you'll meet fab people who rightly don't care about the label you give yourself/society puts on you, we care about the person you are.

Oh my goodness, I've just noticed your location! Last year, the first thing someone said to me (as he drew something out of his inside jacket pocket) was "Oh, you're English, you'll know what this is!" as he showed me his sonic screwdriver! I'd left mine at home :( We spent the next 20 minuted discussing Dr Who. Such fun!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    An under 21 venue would be much appreciated too.

I think both would be fine, but... i am only 20! So, i wouldnt be making it to the bars! So lets do a not-21 thing because I want to meet some people!!! :)

Uno's on Friday TOTALLY works for me!!!

MASeffect on
    lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    edited February 2011
    MASeffect wrote: »
    An under 21 venue would be much appreciated too.

I think both would be fine, but... i am only 20! So, i wouldnt be making it to the bars! So lets do a not-21 thing because I want to meet some people!!! :)

Uno's on Friday TOTALLY works for me!!!

Oh frick, yeah, I'm 20 too. Probably should have mentioned that.

Yue Fairchild on
    edited February 2011
    Don't worry, I'd say we'll definitely be at UNO's. Under-21s will be welcome. And Yue, seriously, you count. If you're at all part of the spectrum, or even just a friendly ally, you totally count. Please don't think you can't come -- you'll be more than welcome.

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'd say we'll definitely be at UNO's. Under-21s will be welcome. And Yue, seriously, you count. If you're at all part of the spectrum, or even just a friendly ally, you totally count. Please don't think you can't come -- you'll be more than welcome.

Okay, okay, I get it! :P

Still don't know which uno we're talking about. I see a few in the area.

Yue Fairchild on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

When I read Yue's post, I yelled out loud "Of course you can!" (In joy, not anger.)

UNO's is delicious so I approve. :^:
    And final word on shirts? Or is it kinda pointless?

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited February 2011
    I think shirts will probably be a bit pointless. I'm hoping this'll basically be a matter of telling the host 'Hi, I'm here for the GLBT meetup' and being shown to our table(s).

It looks like the Boylston Street location (715 Boylston Street) is probably closest to the con. But it's still about two miles away, unfortunately -- it's right outside Back Bay station, but going by T will probably still involve walking up to South Station, taking the Red Line to Downtown Crossing, and taking the Orange Line to Back Bay.

I think it's doable -- for me, at any rate -- but I realize it may not be totally pleasant. Unfortunately there's not a lot within easy walking distance. Still, I'll open this to the floor; if you care to suggest other venues or have some kind of opinion on the matter, please speak now.

Themiscyra on
  • ParmaynuParmaynu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey!

So this is my first PAX and I'd love to make the most of it by meeting some of you wonderful people! The place you've suggested is really close to my hotel so I'm giving it a hearty thumbs up, but wherever the meet ends up - I'll be there with big gay bells on. ;-)

Parmaynu on
    PAX East 2011 Pokecrawl Team Red Group A
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think shirts will probably be a bit pointless. I'm hoping this'll basically be a matter of telling the host 'Hi, I'm here for the GLBT meetup' and being shown to our table(s).

It looks like the Boylston Street location (715 Boylston Street) is probably closest to the con. But it's still about two miles away, unfortunately -- it's right outside Back Bay station, but going by T will probably still involve walking up to South Station, taking the Red Line to Downtown Crossing, and taking the Orange Line to Back Bay.

I think it's doable -- for me, at any rate -- but I realize it may not be totally pleasant. Unfortunately there's not a lot within easy walking distance. Still, I'll open this to the floor; if you care to suggest other venues or have some kind of opinion on the matter, please speak now.

If that's the case, and we still want to go through with it (I cannot believe there are so few restaurants near the convention center! Ridiculous!) we might, perhaps, choose a place to meet up at the convention center and ride to the restaurant together? I'm not sure how late at night this is going to be, but it'd be nice to have the option to travel there as a group.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

If that's the case, and we still want to go through with it (I cannot believe there are so few restaurants near the convention center! Ridiculous!) we might, perhaps, choose a place to meet up at the convention center and ride to the restaurant together? I'm not sure how late at night this is going to be, but it'd be nice to have the option to travel there as a group.

I wouldn't mind that. Actually, I would prefer doing that. So if anyone would want to meet up and get to where we are meeting - I am down for that. =D

thorshauk on
  • nyfilmfestnyfilmfest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    thorshauk wrote: »
    Propriety wrote: »

I wouldn't mind that. Actually, I would prefer doing that. So if anyone would want to meet up and get to where we are meeting - I am down for that. =D

Yeah, this sounds a lot more logical to me... count me in! :^:

nyfilmfest on
  • paxboipaxboi Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Sounds awesome. Looking forward to PAX and meeting some cool peeps. Are PAX virgins welcome to this LGBT party or would I be completely out of place?

paxboi on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PAX virgins are welcome EVERYWHERE

In fact, if you can wear a men's medium, I have a shirt I can lend you for the evening...

MelesMeles on
    edited February 2011
    Everyone is welcome!

Okay, I like the idea of meeting around the convention center and sharing rides over to the restaurant as well. The plan was to hit UNO at around 11 pm, so maybe we should meet up around 10:30 in the lobby of the Westin? I'm sure we can get cabs from there, if nothing else. In that case, a signal might be useful; I think I'd favor pink, if only because my Ridiculously Pink Coat tends to be pretty recognizable. (Seriously, when you see it, you will say to yourself, "That is a Ridiculously Pink Coat," and then you'll know it's me. ;) )

ETA: Oh, and for those staying closer to the UNO on Boylston Street, or making their own transportation arrangements, it's perfectly okay to meet us there at around eleven, too.

I'd like to get a final headcount to take to the restaurant, so -- please post if you're definitely in on this!

Themiscyra on
  • slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Friday at 11pm works just fine for me. I live here so I'm more than willing to drive to/from the restaurant. I can wedge 7 people into my Explorer.

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • RuscoRusco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Definitely in for this. I'm also probably bringing two friends along that don't touch the forums.

Rusco on
  • thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm definitely in. I'm bringing one friend and possibly another.

thorshauk on
    edited February 2011
    Just as a note, updated the OP with the latest information. Will contact the nice lady at UNO when I have a better handle on the headcount.

Something I said in the edit but want to repeat here, in big bold letters:

IF YOU WANT TO COME, BUT ARE NOT COMFORTABLE IDENTIFYING YOURSELF AS AN ATTENDEE ON THESE BOARDS, PLEASE PM ME. In fact, I'll go a step further. My e-mail address is cassandra.lease@gmail.com and my AIM handle is WonderGirlCassie -- you can contact me through any of those methods. I will not share your information with anyone, I'll just add you (and any guests you're bringing) to the total number. Your comfort is my number one concern, and that includes looking out for your privacy. I'm sorry I overlooked that aspect of things before.

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    I'm totally in.

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited February 2011
    Giving this a bump so folks'll spot the altered subject line. As the topic now says, I want to try and get a final headcount on this, so please post, PM, e-mail or IM me if you're definitely coming! I have a good idea what most of you are doing since you gave preliminary approval to the plan, and I have slamonella, Rusco +2, thorshauk +1 or 2, Omicron and someone who contacted me privately on my definite list, but I want to be sure I have my numbers straight in the next few days.

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    but I want to be sure I have my numbers straight in the next few days.

Umm...

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited February 2011
    I'm in! 11 PM sounds good, shouldn't be much happening then.

Propriety on
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited February 2011
    but I want to be sure I have my numbers straight in the next few days.

Umm...
    Sorry! I want to make sure I have my numbers correct in a thoroughly gay way in the next few days. ;)

Themiscyra on
  • ParmaynuParmaynu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Count me in!

Parmaynu on
    PAX East 2011 Pokecrawl Team Red Group A
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paxboipaxboi Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I'm in too. This is gonna be steaksauce... Sorry just had to throw in a HIMYM reference.

And MelesMeles offer of a shirt is appreciated, but the only medium I might fit into is from g-star.

paxboi on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm in too.

feitocomfruta on
    edited February 2011
    I'm in too.

Think we should drag Aeric to this? :wink:

Propriety on
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be a +1 with Parmaynu. I'm not gay, I hope that's okay.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm interested, but I'm not sure I can guarantee I'll be there. Knowing the hubby, he'll want to go to bed early to get a headstart on Saturday morning.

When is the cutoff date to RSVP, Themiscrya? Also, thanks for doing all the grunt work in getting this organized.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited February 2011
    There's no firm cutoff date as yet, but I would like to have a final number for UNO within the next week. Preferably by Monday, possibly by next Friday (the 25th) if necessary. I don't want to push it much closer to the con than that.

Themiscyra on
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm in for this! I'd really like to meet some fellow GLBT gamers. On a side note, did anyone ever find out if Gaygamer.net was doing anything this year? Just wondering.

jdixon1972 on
    edited February 2011
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I'm in for this! I'd really like to meet some fellow GLBT gamers. On a side note, did anyone ever find out if Gaygamer.net was doing anything this year? Just wondering.
    I had a brief conversation with one of their writers who said they were considering a 21+ meetup, but I'm afraid I don't have any details.

Themiscyra on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm in!

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Feel free to mark me down but whether or not I show up seems it's going to be weather-dependent. The place on Boylston is a wee bit further from my hotel than I'd prefer.

It's not a tumor on