As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkspore] Its Diablo + Pokemon + DotA -- Out Now. CTRL X to skip boring intro

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
darksporelogo.png

Release Date: North America: 4/26/11, Europe: 4/28/11

Limited Edition Contents:
Early character unlock- Enhance your squad on day one. Get instant access to a quantum character. Use his special space-time abilities in combination with others in your squad to gain a strategic advantage over the competition Exclusive armor pack- Field an upgraded squad on day one with an exclusive armor pack featuring three stat boosting items.

What is Darkspore?

Having been fairly unimpressed with EA's Spore, I haven't been paying too much mind to a new title coming out called Darkspore. That is until this morning when I got a random advertisement email from EA offering me a chance at beta access if I submit a Spore creature creation modeled after one of the Darkspore heroes.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the idea of Spore. It was the execution which I didn't really like. The game was all about creating fantastic creatures, evolving them from a single-cell organism into a tribe state, and then to a nation, and eventually an inter-galactic invasion force. The problem was, each phase of the game played like a really watered down version of a different genre. The game had a ton of potential, but the execution left me wishing for a whole lot more.

However, my curiosity got the better of me this morning and I decided to do a bit of research on this new game, called Darkspore. It turns out that advertising can have a positive effect. Consider me interested in this game.

tumblr_laxan1cCVu1qew2szo1_500.jpg

From what I have gathered in my research this morning, this is an action RPG much like Diablo. Your character casts spells, uses abilities, and collects loot.

It also has an element of Pokemon, in that you are collecting your creatures and building a squad from those you have collected. Depending on the mission and your strategy, you can mix and match creatures and abilities to form different combinations.

Finally, from what I have gathered, it has a hero arena style PVP component which looks like it borrows heavily from the DotA style of gameplay. The combat is based around team fights, and micro-managing your characters to defeat the opposing team.

tumblr_laxalwsL9F1qew2szo1_500.jpg

There are some videos up which you can see. Most of them are pretty interesting.

Squads and Abilities Video:
PVP
Character Editor

Lucascraft on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Here's some character info that I have found. It appears that the game is broken down into three character archetypes: Sentinal (tank), Ravager (melee), Tempest (caster).

Then there are different elemental types which determine spells, damage, and abilities. So far, I've seen the following element types: Bio, Quantum, Plasma, Cyber, Necro.

Here are a couple hero samples from the official Darkspore website:

warrior_goliath.png
    Goliath the Energy Guardian

Cyber Sentinel from Infinity
    By legend, Goliath arose from one of Infinity’s ancient technomartial orders. But Goliath had no lineage: no master, no elite ancestors, no one to protect him when he himself had been a fugitive fleeing across the poisoned wastelands.

Then he discovered a devastating weapon—the Protonic Sword.

Confronting his hunters in open combat, Goliath obliterated them all.

Thereafter, Goliath pledged to defend all fugitives and exiles, sometimes holding off or defeating hundreds of attackers without a single ally save his invincible weapon.

Honorable, brave, and compassionate, Goliath is a symbol of hope for all who crave justice.

Confronting his hunters in open combat, Goliath obliterated them all.

Energy Slash
    Devastates a target with his energy sword, reducing their regenerative abilities.

Arc Weld
    Jolts an enemy with a crackling bolt of electricity that arcs to nearby foes.

Cauterize
    Swings his energy sword in a cleaving attack that brutally stuns all affected foes.

Disrupt
    Goliath’s weapon continually emits a powerful current that causes all targets that it touches to be vulnerable to future energy attacks.

warrior_blitz.png
    Blitz the Storm Striker
    Plasma Ravager from Cryos

Gripped by a ravaging ice-age, Cryos seemed as if it could never live again.

But one reptiloid was determined to resurrect his world: Blitz, possessing the hyper-kinetic ability to fire beams of electrical vengeance. He led his brood-mates on a vast trek across Cryos’s tragic, frigid wastelands. Losing nearly all his siblings, Blitz established an enclave in Cryos’s equatorial region that became the centre of Cryosi civilization.

Blitz unleashed the full strength of his electrical wrath.

Voltic Strike
    Physically assaults foes with quick slashes from Blitz’s dual claw weapons.

Ride the Lightning
    Blitz takes the form of lightning to travel across space in the blink of an eye, stunning and damaging the targeted foe.

Charged
    Blitz’s lightning energies flare up when he critically strikes, causing the attack to be incredibly damaging.

Plasma Wreath
    Surrounds Blitz with orbiting lightning spheres that discharge when enemies are nearby.

warrior_sage.png
    Sage the Life Forester
    Bio Tempest from Verdanth

Once a brilliant scientist, Sage sensed alien forces on his world. Calibrating his detectors, he discovered the presence of unstable E-DNA, spreading uncontrollably. His warning to the Crogenitors was too late.

Powerless to prevent the invasion, Sage witnessed the destruction of his once-green world. Aboard a Crogenitor refugee ship, he repurposed his reforestation technology as a weapon, swearing to free his homeworld.

He spawned mobile, ultra-strong trees and Dendrones as his protection force. His metabolic disruptor slowed and damaged his targets, while his Rejuvenating Blast healed his allies. A force of emerald vengeance, Sage proved that the Darkspore could be beaten.

A force of emerald vengeance, Sage proved that the Darkspore could be beaten.

Rejuvenating Blast
    Heals Sage’s allies, ensuring they can fight longer, faster and harder.

Biodrain
    Summons thick vines that ensnare enemies in an area and drain their life away.

Tree of Life
    Spawns a tree that grows larger as damage is dealt nearby, then explodes in a burst of healing energy.

Dendrones
    Swarming destroyers that both protect Sage and harm those who would get in his way.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    MaxisDaveMaxisDave Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Glad to hear that you're taking another look, Lucascraft. We think that we're cooking up something pretty special with Darkspore. Check your PM inbox. ;-)

MaxisDave on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We got an invite by email to try the beta as my son and I had the original Creature Creator. Truthfully we never picked up the whole game - but he bought and liked one of the DS games really well. I guess we'll have to try it on the good pc in the house and see what it's all about. I have my doubts that it will run on our poor laptop anymore :)

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I assume this is PC only?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    no offense maxisdave but your cover art for darkspore is like

really really bad

we were talking about it in the cover art thread here and it just reeks of 90s EXTREEM!!!!

i mean

yeah

5269043631_d91664c4a0_z.jpg

I really don't think your cover art does you any favors dudes

and regardless of the quality of the work (diablo and pokemon are two of my favorite games ever so my interest is actually piqued), i think a lot of people like me are gonna see the cover art for this, see the name, associate it with the cutesy stuff that dominated Spore, and start laughing at the disconnect

i dunno, just my two cents dude

Rent on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    assemble an arsenal of vampiric gorillas

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I gotta agree on the cover art. I mean, it's a few splashes of yellow away from Wolverine practically.

That being said, the game looks pretty dang nice, and I liked Spore (though not really the last few phases).

What are the chances this hits for Mac at the same time as PC?

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks like its got potential. Research commencing.

Prime on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The actual info is good but goddamn. If I saw that boxart on a shelf I would automatically dismiss it as shovelware of some kind.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    MaxisDaveMaxisDave Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Hi guys,

I feel ya on the box art ... we're never going to please everyone. (We've gotten feedback in other places that it's awesome, but we've heard these comments before too!)

We hope you'll give the game a look, because that's what we've been spending all of our time on.

Cheers,

MaxisDave

MaxisDave on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't have the beta but I might have to check this game out eventually, as I quite enjoy diablo-like games.

Can you still invent your own creature like in Spore?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like I should be given this game for free as a type of refund for the still born turd that was Spore.

Yes, I'm holding a grudge

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    sketchydsketchyd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, love that maxis is listening. Hey MaxisDave, how much of it is really customizing, and how much of it is "hero A gets sword X"? It looks like each character gets something like a class and race, too?

Looks like an interesting game, I'll give it a go.

sketchyd on
  • Options
    MaxisYeggMaxisYegg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys,

Glad you're interested in the game! Every hero has a type and a class, yeah. The class sorta defines their role (think warrior vs rogue vs mage) and the type determines the sort of abilities that they'll have. Plasma guys are all about damage, stuns and chaining attacks, whereas Bio guys deal with healing, poisons, rooting enemies, that sort of thing.

As for customization, each hero has six slots (Offense, Defense, Utility, Hands, Feet, and Weapon) and you can attach one item per slot. The difference between our slots and a more traditional RPG is that you can put the offense/defense/utility items wherever you want on the hero, instead of being restricted to specific placement. Those items are where you get all of your stat boosts. On top of that you can also attach detail items, which are items that have been stripped of their stats. This lets you keep wearing an item that you think looks cool even after you've found items that would normally obsolete it. And finally, you can take the parts that your hero starts with and move/scale those around as well.

MaxisYegg on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sometimes different regions get different box art. I notice the PEGI rating on there. Maybe that's the European box art and the North American one will be way more awesome...

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is this actually related to spore? I thought that was just a joke.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Its made by Maxis, the same company who made Spore. And it uses a modified Spore creature creator for its character customization.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The videos seemed interesting. If there's a any sort of decently made SP experience I might check it out.

Decoy on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maxis Dave/Yegg,

Did you work on Spore?

Why?

God, why?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No, I joined the Darkspore team directly after five years working on Magic and a bunch of unreleased digital games at Wizards of the Coast. I've only played about fifteen minutes of Spore. :) Although I was at the original Will Wright speech at GDC and was blown away like everyone else.

Dave also joined Maxis to work on Darkspore.

MaxisYegg on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    seems like it could be really cool..

but the first thing i would do is distance myself from Spore.

That game had potential, but it was never realized. very few people will have good thoughts when they hear the name.

Its somewhat like calling a new cereal Hitler-oh's

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mighty wrote: »
    Already.

Already it's happened.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

ACH! MEIN TASTE BUDS!

Rent on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was super hyped for Spore. Super super hyped. I was actually happy with the product that was delivered. My favorite part was developing my critter and making it all kinds of neat. I'm a fan of the genre mixup going on here, but I'm -horrendous- at RTS games and DOTA style games. Hopefully I'll be able to play through the singleplayer... but I'd never do well in multi-player.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So. This game. How much Diablo influence are we talking here? Huge maps? Dungeons? Randomly generated gear system with different layers/grades/qualities of gear? Intricate talent/skill system? Farmable stuff? Multiple difficulties to take a character through?

Basically, should I go into this game expecting action adventure or hack&slash lootfest?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is it safe to assume that while the parts you apply have value, the way you put them together has no effect on the end result? Say, long-legged creatures having increased speed but reduced stability?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume that while the parts you apply have value, the way you put them together has no effect on the end result? Say, long-legged creatures having increased speed but reduced stability?

From the videos it doesn't look like it's -those- kind of parts. It just looks like gear. The heros look prebuilt, and you only get to decorate them... and there are six slots where gear can affect stats, but you can strip the stats off gear and use it where you want. it seems.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maps - Depends on what you mean by huge, but each one takes about 15 minutes to play. Then you can choose to take a reward or you can risk it and continue on immediately to the next map for an increased challenge with better rewards.

Items - Randomly generated gear. Seven different rarities, hundreds of different affixes, several hundred different unique hand-tuned stat allocations that can be found in a variety of different looks (we didn't want players who wanted a certain item to all have to look the same, although with the editor you can look completely different from someone else who has the same items as you anyway). Hundreds and hundreds of different item models that all can be deformed, scaled and attached to your hero using a modified version of the Spore editor (we all think the editor was the best and most successful part of the Spore, and much of what inspired Darkspore was wanting to make a game that combined the editor with deep and satisfying gameplay).

Talent/skill system - Instead of these we have 25 different heroes that you can collect, each with their own set of four unique abilities (and then a fifth ability that depends on which variant of the hero you have). You build squads of three heroes and then switch between them during gameplay. Each hero also has one squad ability that can be used by any member of the squad, so there are lots of combos even in single player, and even more in four player co-op. Plus there's arena-style PvP, with multiple round matches where the loser can switch out their squad in between rounds.

Multiple difficulties - Yes. Think nightmare and hell modes from Diablo.

As for the way you put your parts on, Dyvion is correct. The problem with making that matter is that it no longer becomes about customizing your hero to look the way you want, it becomes about doing whatever you need to do to maximize your effectiveness. There's definitely room to make that sort of game (don't get me wrong, I think it could be awesome) but we wanted players to have the freedom to build their guys based on aesthetics rather than power. So it's about what parts you put on and not how you put them on.

MaxisYegg on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guys, just sign up for the beta. It seems really easy to get in.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just got a Beta invite. I assume it was one of you Maxis folks. Thanks!

If not, weird coincidence. But either way, signing up!

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm definitely interested - I'll go ahead and look into the beta. :)

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »

ACH! MEIN TASTE BUDS!

CRUNCHEN UBER ALLES!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How would one go about getting involved in this?

My interest is piqued!

Endomatic on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Soooo this game appears to have some potential.

I shall spread the word to my friends post haste.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MaxisYegg wrote: »
    Maps - Depends on what you mean by huge, but each one takes about 15 minutes to play. Then you can choose to take a reward or you can risk it and continue on immediately to the next map for an increased challenge with better rewards.

Items - Randomly generated gear. Seven different rarities, hundreds of different affixes, several hundred different unique hand-tuned stat allocations that can be found in a variety of different looks (we didn't want players who wanted a certain item to all have to look the same, although with the editor you can look completely different from someone else who has the same items as you anyway). Hundreds and hundreds of different item models that all can be deformed, scaled and attached to your hero using a modified version of the Spore editor (we all think the editor was the best and most successful part of the Spore, and much of what inspired Darkspore was wanting to make a game that combined the editor with deep and satisfying gameplay).

Talent/skill system - Instead of these we have 25 different heroes that you can collect, each with their own set of four unique abilities (and then a fifth ability that depends on which variant of the hero you have). You build squads of three heroes and then switch between them during gameplay. Each hero also has one squad ability that can be used by any member of the squad, so there are lots of combos even in single player, and even more in four player co-op. Plus there's arena-style PvP, with multiple round matches where the loser can switch out their squad in between rounds.

Multiple difficulties - Yes. Think nightmare and hell modes from Diablo.

As for the way you put your parts on, Dyvion is correct. The problem with making that matter is that it no longer becomes about customizing your hero to look the way you want, it becomes about doing whatever you need to do to maximize your effectiveness. There's definitely room to make that sort of game (don't get me wrong, I think it could be awesome) but we wanted players to have the freedom to build their guys based on aesthetics rather than power. So it's about what parts you put on and not how you put them on.

Any chance you'd consider adding group-combination abilities ala Chrono Trigger?

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This sounds pretty great

Imma try and sign up tonight

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've gotten a couple of emails about the beta now, I had no idea what this game even was. Based on this thread I am now signing up for it because this sounds right up my alley!

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm running a bit low on beta keys at the moment but I have three left that I'll give out to the first three people to PM me. The beta will be open this weekend and I'd love for you guys to try out the game.

MaxisYegg on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    k, all out of keys for now. :) I'll be back sometime with another batch.

MaxisYegg on
  • Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man I was totally caught off guard about this one. Hadn't heard a peep about this game and it comes out of the blue and looks pretty awesome.

I went to the website and signed up for the beta so hopefully I'll get in. Has there been any mention of a release date?

Edit: Yeah that cover art is a hot mess.

datac0re on