As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends]Why did Riot servers go down for ten hours on patch day? For rest.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    the patch is going through now

don't know if that means i'll be able to play once it's finished

but it's something

Nope finished patching myself but still cant play.

EspantaPajaro on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I heard someone is dissing kpop in this thread

Jars on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My plan is to steal all the RIOT singed cards and ebay them. That or find a bush near the riot booth and hide in it, waiting for them to pass.

schuss on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know I thought it was a given by now to assume that the game is unplayable on patch days and that anything better than that is a nice surprise.

Slicer on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Slicer wrote: »
    You know I thought it was a given by now to assume that the game is unplayable on patch days and that anything better than that is a nice surprise.

Well in all fairness there is quite a lot more content in this patch then usual.

EspantaPajaro on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have murdered my fingers playing through Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Heroes about 40 times now (sans beating Onslaught. Fuck that asshole).

Why are you doing this to me Riot?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited February 2011

You forget that Riot owes people things, which is implicitly spelled out in their EULA that people sign to play the free game. How dare they be late... with anything!

(That said, they do need a better release process, or to suck it up and do it at night like the rest of the software people do)

schuss on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jars wrote: »

i think we have the situation under control

thank god

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited February 2011
    I actually downloaded the patch without getting 'launcher has experienced an error'. this is a big improvement already.

Jars on
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so if you get more ip the longer the game is

i wonder how much ip you will get if you find 5 others for a 3v3 twisted treeline, and setup a macro to move your dude every minute and let the game play for like 24 hours

FlipprDolphin on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to buy the tree guy just because I found the seedling running around chasing people highly amusing.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited February 2011

Oh, yes, for sure; but this only reinforces my opinion.

Riot needs staff that can actually meet a deadline for something as simple as an update.
    You forget that Riot owes people things, which is implicitly spelled out in their EULA that people sign to play the free game. How dare they be late... with anything!

Well, look at this from Riot's perspective, or the perspective of a potential investor in their business:

They're a company that survives on micro transactions, and their inability to meet a deadline has just killed a 4+ hour window where transactions could've been taking place. Imagine if your were a retailer and you found out that your store opened 4 hours late because your staff just didn't show-up on time. Would this be a trend you'd want to turn into a regular thing?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I, for one, am not looking forward to playing with and against a tree guy who has no idea what they are doing in every game tonight.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trus wrote: »
    I, for one, am not looking forward to playing with and against a tree guy who has no idea what they are doing in every game tonight.

look at it this way: every tuesday riot reopens 4v4 summoners rift!

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ME! I'm going to be that tree guy who has no idea what they are doing in every game tonight! That's me!

I'm excited to try him out and have been saving my IP for someone just like him. I like tanks, I like tanky castery guys, I like guys who can shield/protect as well as disrupt. I like Maokai (in theory).

haters gon hate since bot games aren't available as soon as patch is

4rch3nemy on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Ender wrote: »

Riot needs staff that can actually meet a deadline for something as simple as an update.

Well, look at this from Riot's perspective, or the perspective of a potential investor in their business:

They're a company that survives on micro transactions, and their inability to meet a deadline has just killed a 4+ hour window where transactions could've been taking place. Imagine if your were a retailer and you found out that your store opened 4 hours late because your staff just didn't show-up on time. Would this be a trend you'd want to turn into a regular thing?

But it's free!!!1~!

Nisi on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I am pretty sure that anyone who says that they aren't spending money on the game because of patch downtime wasn't going to be spending any money in the first place and is just looking for an excuse.

Slicer on
    edited February 2011
    so if you get more ip the longer the game is

i wonder how much ip you will get if you find 5 others for a 3v3 twisted treeline, and setup a macro to move your dude every minute and let the game play for like 24 hours

I don't think it's strictly 'More time = More IP'; it's probably something like, you could earn up to (say) 150 IP per match. If the match lasts an hour, you can the full reward. If the match lasts 20 minutes, you get (say) 50% of the reward. And there's probably a few other IP checkpoints along the way.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I have 10,000 IP and there is really nothing to spend it on. I have all the champions I need (might get the new guy) but now I need shit loads of runes and rune pages. That is just such a huge sink I think I might skip it. Basically right now I have 3 rune set ups. Caster, AD and Tank
    Caster is magic pen, CDR and mp/5
    AD is armor pen and the same
    Tank is the same with health quints and armor pen.

why aren't you running health quints on your squishies

Rent on
    edited February 2011

Oh no, Riot is hilarious around their lack of systems processes and discipline (someone buy them some 6-sigma/kaizen books please...), but the amount of rage and entitlement the users feel is completely ridiculous.

schuss on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Updating a game like this isn't just a switch they push.

Things needs to be tested after patching. Then there are going to be things to fix. Unforseen problems are always going to happen.

People just need some perspective. Its not like you've even got subscription time ticking away.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am pretty sure that anyone who says that they aren't spending money on the game because of patch downtime wasn't going to be spending any money in the first place and is just looking for an excuse.

No but inconsistent servers will discourage people from continuing to play and contribute money. That being said as flakey as they have been, I don't think it's that huge of a problem.

Nisi on
    edited February 2011

Yeah, most people who make that kind of threat probably are just blowing smoke (just like people who huff and puff at the Wal Mart manager when the store opens later than usual) - but that's not what I mean. If someone wanted to wake up and buy a chunk of RP to get the tree guy or some skins or whatever, they couldn't. Maybe they'll do it later, maybe they won't - in the meantime, Riot has missed out on those sales.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trus wrote: »

You're gonna take my tree guy and love it!

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    come%20at%20us%20SHINee.gif?1296180734

Constrictor on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Ok let's use your example. But let's make it fairly accurate. In your example we would have to have the retail store open 24 hours a day, and this 4 hour downtime would be once every 2 weeks. So as a potential business investor looking at a store of this nature I would say that is a pretty fair deal all things considered.

Good example! Unless you were trying to make Riot look bad....

@Constrictor. You are so just jealous that you can't pull off that slick ass move they are doing. :)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Legen DairyLegen Dairy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People who complain about Riot make me giggle.

While being far from perfect, they do a far better job than people give them credit for.

Updating something as complex as LoL is not easy, and no matter how many simulations you run and how much internal stress you can put on the system, it doesn't compare to what happens when hundreds of thousands of lunatics start frantically clicking things.

They do a pretty damn good job of doing this every two weeks without many major hiccups.

Legen Dairy on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I might try a new item build with Katrina, building her AP somehow doesn't give satisfying results

I was thinking of Gunblade first, then a couple of BF Swords and (I'm well aware of it's reputation) Malady (if it does synergies with her ult)?

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited February 2011

Things needs to be tested after patching. Then there are going to be things to fix. Unforseen problems are always going to happen.

People just need some perspective. Its not like you've even got subscription time ticking away.

They had more than 14 fucking hours to implement it, and they set their own deadline. If it's not going to be ready in 14 hours, don't set the deadline for 14 hours.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I download patch and servers still unavailable. Why???

Batmantis on
    Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Without any major hiccups is debatable. But yes, I agree that they do a pretty good job for a game that is essentially free. They update and patch their game more than any other game that isn't an MMO. They do their best at keeping interest in the game by fixing bugs, balancing the champions, and adding new content.

Most people that complain probably haven't given them a dime. They have no right to complain.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Legen DairyLegen Dairy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They had more than 14 fucking hours to implement it, and they set their own deadline. If it's not going to be ready in 14 hours, don't set the deadline for 14 hours.

How old are you?

That's a genuine question.

Because if you have this sense of entitlement at 16 or 18 or 20, that's cool. You're young and dumb and it's expected.

If you're over 25 and you're still this irrational, you're going to die miserable and alone unless you get a grip.

Legen Dairy on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

World of Warcraft still has routinely extended maintenance and blizzard has a gdp of a small island country. I am decidedly unsurprised every time this free to play game has patch issues.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I might try a new item build with Katrina, building her AP somehow doesn't give satisfying results

I was thinking of Gunblade first, then a couple of BF Swords and (I'm well aware of it's reputation) Malady (if it does synergies with her ult)?

I don't think it's worthwhile getting an attack speed item on a character that doesn't really auto attack for an appreciable amount. If you want magic pen, get a void staff or something

Pacificstar on
    edited February 2011
    Using the code gets you to the log in screen.

Login queue is up... running is a different story.

I was put in a login queue and was number one. Wait time was less than 7 seconds.

It eventually sounded like it was going to connect and then said "connection couldn't be established" or something to that effect then the client closed.

So much for trying to get around the system. :(

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Oh shit. Now my position is 8524 and approximate wait time: Indefinite.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I think you have no idea what it takes to make a piece of commercial software as complex as a computer game and perhaps you have unreal expectations.

Maybe you do know what it takes to make a piece of commercial software as complex as a computer game and just don't care because you think the world is here to serve you.

Either way it takes a lot to make software work right and setting deadlines is always a spotty guess at best. I work for a major insurance company and on more then one occasion patches for our software have royally screwed things up. This is a company with a decent size IT department where screw ups can cost millions of dollars and customer relationships and it still happens.

In short stop crying Riot doesn't owe you anything.

Drool on
    edited February 2011
    new kat skin on the horizon?
    katarinasplash5.jpg

hopefully it gets a model that doesn't look like garbage. her and sivir need a new model bad

Jars on
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I see a lot of Q's flying around every patch day. Some people QQ because they can't play. Some QQ because they are mad at Riot. Some people QQ because some other people are QQ about Riot.

Poor letter Q, he must be getting tired.

Pacificstar on
    edited February 2011
    Ok let's use your example. But let's make it fairly accurate. In your example we would have to have the retail store open 24 hours a day, and this 4 hour downtime would be once every 2 weeks. So as a potential business investor looking at a store of this nature I would say that is a pretty fair deal all things considered.

Good example! Unless you were trying to make Riot look bad....

No, that wasn't my point. My point was that Riot's staff seems more or less incapable of meeting a deadline, and I think this will be bad for Riot's bottom line in the long term because of their micro transaction model.

I'm sure you'll have heard a story or two before of a retail store that had a small monopoly of some kind in a community, so became pretty lazy when it came to maintaining their posted hours - and then a competitor moved in and bled them of all of their business simply because their doors opened sooner & more consistently?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
This discussion has been closed.