As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]Why did Riot servers go down for ten hours on patch day? For rest.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I might try a new item build with Katrina, building her AP somehow doesn't give satisfying results

I was thinking of Gunblade first, then a couple of BF Swords and (I'm well aware of it's reputation) Malady (if it does synergies with her ult)?

I don't think it's worthwhile getting an attack speed item on a character that doesn't really auto attack for an appreciable amount. If you want magic pen, get a void staff or something

so AP Kat is always better than AD Kat?

e: wait, you think the Kat model is bad?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Position in queue: 1
    Approximate Wait Time: 6 seconds

Y U NO WORK

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    Ok let's use your example. But let's make it fairly accurate. In your example we would have to have the retail store open 24 hours a day, and this 4 hour downtime would be once every 2 weeks. So as a potential business investor looking at a store of this nature I would say that is a pretty fair deal all things considered.

Good example! Unless you were trying to make Riot look bad....

No, that wasn't my point. My point was that Riot's staff seems more or less incapable of meeting a deadline, and I think this will be bad for Riot's bottom line in the long term because of their micro transaction model.

I'm sure you'll have heard a story or two before of a retail store that had a small monopoly of some kind in a community, so became pretty lazy when it came to maintaining their posted hours - and then a competitor moved in and bled them of all of their business simply because their doors opened sooner & more consistently?

Unable to hit a deadline? Such as.....releasing a new champion every 2 weeks for the past...I don't even know how many months.

You really need to get over this, your expectations are absurd.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    new kat skin on the horizon?
    katarinasplash5.jpg

hopefully it gets a model that doesn't look like garbage. her and sivir need a new model bad

:shock:
    :shock:

I need this skin. NOW.

I have yet to find anything that comes close to beating out her bilgewater skin and this just kicked it's ass.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Oh shit. Now my position is 8524 and approximate wait time: Indefinite.

Sounds like old school Wow. Also I need advice on how I should gank with trundle Ryadic. Do I open with contaminate run in and then pillar to trap them? Or should I do it in another fashion? Tend to get them low but they escape a lot more then they should , then again im new to jungling period so im sure my timing is not optimal.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    it's horribly pixelated and grainy as shit

Jars on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok let's use your example. But let's make it fairly accurate. In your example we would have to have the retail store open 24 hours a day, and this 4 hour downtime would be once every 2 weeks. So as a potential business investor looking at a store of this nature I would say that is a pretty fair deal all things considered.

No, that wasn't my point. My point was that Riot's staff seems more or less incapable of meeting a deadline, and I think this will be bad for Riot's bottom line in the long term because of their micro transaction model.

I'm sure you'll have heard a story or two before of a retail store that had a small monopoly of some kind in a community, so became pretty lazy when it came to maintaining their posted hours - and then a competitor moved in and bled them of all of their business simply because their doors opened sooner & more consistently?

Do you understand anything about the real world?

No one EVER meets deadlines. NEVER. Blizzard rarely, if ever, meets them for WoW and they don't lose customer base because of it.

Major companies never meet deadlines. They set a deadline as something to work towards because otherwise, who knows when it'll be done.

Deadlines are if things go perfectly. No one can truly estimate the time it takes to implement a patch.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Updating a game like this isn't just a switch they push.

Things needs to be tested after patching. Then there are going to be things to fix. Unforseen problems are always going to happen.

People just need some perspective. Its not like you've even got subscription time ticking away.

They had more than 14 fucking hours to implement it, and they set their own deadline. If it's not going to be ready in 14 hours, don't set the deadline for 14 hours.

How old are you?

That's a genuine question.

Because if you have this sense of entitlement at 16 or 18 or 20, that's cool. You're young and dumb and it's expected.

If you're over 25 and you're still this irrational, you're going to die miserable and alone unless you get a grip.

Have you ever worked either retail or direct sales, simon? That would be the perspective I'm coming from, where deadlines are incredibly important to meet and goals are important to keep realistic, assuming you're interested in making money.

I'm in my mid-twenties.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Unable to hit a deadline? Such as.....releasing a new champion every 2 weeks for the past...I don't even know how many months.

You really need to get over this, your expectations are absurd.

His expectations are only absurd because he doesn't know Riot's history or does and expects anything else from them. Riot really drops the ball quite often in regards to patch days and downtimes. I don't expect anything absurd, I just expect them to stick to their schedule which they tend not to.

I don't get butthurt about their deadline botching but c'mon, don't apologize for Riot here when they clearly aren't the best at this specific aspect of their business.

I wanna play. This conversation is boring because it's on repeat since last year. :(

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OH GOD IT'S 2011 ARE WE STILL FIGHTING ABOUT VIDEO GAME DEVELOPERS NOT MEETING EVERY PROMISE AND DEADLINE MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hey where was that fed nidalee fat joke that got ap'd

now that i play lol and actually get the joke i want to read it again

shit's hilarious

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    As much as you may not agree with it Riot time is no where as near as bad as Valve time. Speaking of which I want episode three goddamnit , its been how many years? Not one single detail either. Now im depressed.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Drool wrote: »

Things needs to be tested after patching. Then there are going to be things to fix. Unforseen problems are always going to happen.

People just need some perspective. Its not like you've even got subscription time ticking away.

They had more than 14 fucking hours to implement it, and they set their own deadline. If it's not going to be ready in 14 hours, don't set the deadline for 14 hours.

I work for a major insurance company and on more then one occasion patches for our software have royally screwed things up. This is a company with a decent size IT department where screw ups can cost millions of dollars and customer relationships and it still happens.

In short stop crying Riot doesn't owe you anything.

We may work for the same people.

Yeah, implementations are hard, especially if you don't have an absolutely iron-handed implementation manager. Shit goes bad really quick, especially if orders and concurrency aren't firmed up or the code integration was messy.

EDIT: Oh, and you're in sales ender? You can fuck right off as the amount of shit I've had to cobble together to save sales peoples asses because they promise things that aren't technically possible could fill a bank vault. Then they boo-hoo when I call them out on their bullshit after customer delivery.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

How old are you?

Because if you have this sense of entitlement at 16 or 18 or 20, that's cool. You're young and dumb and it's expected.

If you're over 25 and you're still this irrational, you're going to die miserable and alone unless you get a grip.

Have you ever worked either retail or direct sales, simon? That would be the perspective I'm coming from, where deadlines are incredibly important to meet and goals are important to keep realistic, assuming you're interested in making money.

I'm in my mid-twenties.

And we keep comparing it to retail stores because.....it's not? I can perhaps see where you are trying to come from with the whole microtransaction thing, but in the end it is still a video game, it is still an ONLINE video game and it is still subject to maintenance and server downtime for updates.

This is not a new concept, this is something pretty much any online game deals with, and unless you have played no online game aside from this one I would think you would be familiar with the process and how it is not uncommon for a simple patch to take longer than they initially said.

The reason we don't get upset is because we have a decent grip on reality and the understanding that the best laid plans can go awry.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    you know, since for the past year patch day has been hosed because it always takes longer to get the drop in and servers back up.

by now, isn't this expected behavior? does this still surprise people?

i'm at work for almost all of it, so it rarely has a chance to affect my play time.

why do people still complain so much about this?

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    FightTest wrote: »
    OH GOD IT'S 2011 ARE WE STILL FIGHTING ABOUT VIDEO GAME DEVELOPERS NOT MEETING EVERY PROMISE AND DEADLINE MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP.

I didn't even say that they didn't meet promise made specifically to me or anything like that.

Holy fuck, guys, you're putting all kind of preconceptions on top of my statements.

I want to play LoL right now, but yeah, obviously Riot doesn't 'owe me' an available server (I haven't bought a dime worth of RP from them and don't intend to). I'm just saying, if they want to act like a retailer, they should meet more deadlines than they do if they don't want future competition stealing their business.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    riot doesnt act like a retailer

they make money off titties and a game i guess

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I didn't even say that they didn't meet promise made specifically to me or anything like that.

Holy fuck, guys, you're putting all kind of preconceptions on top of my statements.

I want to play LoL right now, but yeah, obviously Riot doesn't 'owe me' an available server (I haven't bought a dime worth of RP from them and don't intend to). I'm just saying, if they want to act like a retailer, they should meet more deadlines than they do if they don't want future competition stealing their business.

I think they are more interested in acting like a video game than a retailer.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Oh shit. Now my position is 8524 and approximate wait time: Indefinite.

Sounds like old school Wow. Also I need advice on how I should gank with trundle Ryadic. Do I open with contaminate run in and then pillar to trap them? Or should I do it in another fashion? Tend to get them low but they escape a lot more then they should , then again im new to jungling period so im sure my timing is not optimal.

First off, when you gank you need red. Otherwise they're going to get away almost every time. Secondly, check to see if your gank target has flash. If so, then you want to use pillar after they pop it. Otherwise they'll just flash over it and it does nothing.

As far as using contaminate, that is really a judgment call. I've led with it before, and I've used it under their tower when I dive. There is no proper way to do it. But those first two points I made are very important. I learned the flash thing the hard way and still make the mistake to forget checking. Also ganking someone like Kat or Ezreal is nearly impossible since they have a built in flash. Best you can hope for is to get some hits and clear them out of the lane for a while to help out your mid.

All of the above is based on mid lane.

Now ganking the bottom or top lane, most enemies run into bushes. You want to pillar into the bush so they have to come towards you as well as the pillar revealing them in the bush so your team can start CC and attacking them. Contaminate pretty early, because they will use CC on you and this will reduce the CC time.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The reason we don't get upset is because we have a decent grip on reality and the understanding that the best laid plans can go awry.

Go find the quote and re-post it where I said that Riot owed me anything, or that I was upset with Riot.

If you can't find it, maybe you can apologize for putting words in my mouth and actually take the time to read what I post before just bashing me?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am planning to buy Anivia despite the nerf. Is this stupid Y/Y?

Vic on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys I get to play this great game for free but every couple of weeks they put out a patch for free that fixes bugs and adds content, did I mention its all free?

But sometimes they go over their stated deadline on this free patch for this free game AND I'M SO FULL OF RAAAAAAAAAAGE

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What an insightful and useful on-topic post Rent.

Vic on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

How old are you?

I'm in my mid-twenties.

Have you ever worked with software or with software that involves patching large databases?

That's what I do for my job, albeit in the medical field. It's not fucking easy and honestly Riot does a pretty good job getting everything patched and turned around quickly with only a few issues.

When I upgrade a system it can take over a day and even then it can be royally screwed and there is a need to roll back if the issues can't be resolved.

Basically what you're saying is "I don't understand why I can't play League of Legends NOW, but I want to play League of Legends".

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

if you're so mad, I'm sure riot will be more than happy to give you a full refund

Rent on
  • Options
    KillerKittiesKillerKitties Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Can someone pm me the konami code, I seem to have forgotten it... :(

I've tried so many combinations i know it ends in 3 - 4

KillerKitties on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the advice man. I try to always have red but checking for flash never occurred to me . I will try to practice it when the servers come back up.
    Rent wrote: »
    As much as you may not agree with it Riot time is no where as near as bad as Valve time. Speaking of which I want episode three goddamnit , its been how many years? Not one single detail either. Now im depressed.

why? half life 2 is a horrible game

First thing im doing when I log on is removing you from my friends list. You are dead to me.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Doesn't work anymore.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Go find the quote and re-post it where I said that Riot owed me anything, or that I was upset with Riot.

If you can't find it, maybe you can apologize for putting words in my mouth and actually take the time to read what I post before just bashing me?

When people use the word "Fucking" and italicize their words it is usually taken as an emphasis on their statement in the form of anger.

If you aren't angry, good! Your statements are still absurd. I don't think I mentioned them owing you anything, but you may be typing that in response to someone else as I know others did make such a statement.

If you like to phrase your sentences with the word fuck in normal conversation without being upset then I retract my statement that you may be upset. However my overarching point is that your expectations of deadlines in video games and what it takes to implement a patch seem to be a bit skewed.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    What an insightful and useful on-topic post Rent.

yeah in retrospect that was dumb. deleted.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

it still works

left right left right down down up up 3 4

Rent on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    L R L R D D U U 3 4

still works, and changes status to 'online'

but you won't be able to play since maintenance is ongoing

Organichu on
  • Options
    KillerKittiesKillerKitties Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Thanks,

Yeah earlier today I got it right but then after lunch I tried about 20x and then gave up. Studying Cisco seems to have drained my brain power.

KillerKitties on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Doesn't work anymore.

Er, I just used it, was let in, and of course the login doesn't work because you know...PvP.net is down.

E: Beaaaaaaaaat'eeeeeedddd /Strongbad

EE: P.S.: Rent - Thanks to you, I just bought NieR. How did that ever fly under my radar?

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    organichu you are so slow

like damn you slow

:P

Rent on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    organichu you are so slow

like damn you slow

:P

i'm faster at this game, though

me v you, mundo mid

fuck you son

Organichu on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why did they take a dump on my Anivia D:

JRosey on
  • Options
    Legen DairyLegen Dairy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    (I haven't bought a dime worth of RP from them and don't intend to)

Bingo.

I'm willing to bet there's a direct correlation between the amount of complaining one does and the amount of money they've spent on the game.

I'll save the armchair psychotherapy for another day, but suffice it to say that (hopefully) one day you'll have that epiphany where you realize that the world doesn't owe you anything.

Legen Dairy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    JRosey wrote: »
    Why did they take a dump on my Anivia D:

Because she kept dumping on everyone else.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    (I haven't bought a dime worth of RP from them and don't intend to)

Bingo.

I'm willing to bet there's a direct correlation between the amount of complaining one does and the amount of money they've spent on the game.

I'll save the armchair psychotherapy for another day, but suffice it to say that (hopefully) one day you'll have that epiphany where you realize that the world doesn't owe you anything.

Especially when you haven't paid for anything.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.