As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dead Island] Please post in new thread

DashuiDashui Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
PDIvR.jpg

Terror. Violence. Madness. Bedlam. A holiday paradise gone mad. A tropical island turns into total chaos after a mysterious zombie outbreak. Cut off from the rest of the world, the player’s only chance to survive is to fight to the death and find a way to escape from the island.

Dead Island combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customization of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to four players in co-op mode.

Set in an open world tropical island, hordes of different festering zombies await players around every corner while they embark on a variety of thrilling missions through the holiday resort. With firearms and ammunition being scarce the player must rely on utilizing found items as weapons for self-defense and fight off zombie hordes in intense melee combat. A diverse range of items can be collected and will later serve to transform the player’s ordinary makeshift weapons into serious instruments of destruction.

In addition to satisfying even the most bloodthirsty action fan’s fantasy, Dead Island also features role-playing elements which allow the player to develop one of the game’s unique character classes according to their preferences, all the while learning new skills and fresh tactics during their journey through the perilous environments of the island. What’s more, anytime during a game up to four players can seamlessly join together and experience the intense combat and immersive story with cooperative gameplay.

With the all-new Chrome Engine 5 powering Dead Island, the game will use the latest installment of Techland’s acclaimed proprietary game engine, allowing the player to experience the tropical island paradise in graphical splendor with diverse environments like lush forests and detailed city environments.

News

09/08/2011 - Patch 1.20 has been released.

09/07/2011 - Patch 1.10 has been released. You can view the patch notes at the game's blog, found here: http://deadisland.deepsilver.com/blog.php?page=1

09/06/2011 - Dead Island's first patch has been released, correct the incorrect build issue.

09/06/2011 - Dead Island is now available in stores.

Multiplayer

* Online co-op for up to four players
* Drop-in/drop-out play
* Take what you earn in multiplayer back to single-player and vice versa
* The more people you play with, the more zombies you face
* No level restrictions! Lower and higher level players can play with each other, even if their progress is wildly different. Players joining friends with higher progress will be warned there will be spoilers, and they won't earn story progress or mission rewards, but they can take back the experience, items and money they earn to their game. Higher progress players joining lower progress players won't earn as much experience, but they will earn mission rewards and those rewards will scale to their level.
* Players can go their separate ways, free to explore and complete different quests
* Zombies scale to your level, so you and your friends won't come across foes beyond your abilities and be unable to progress unless you grind your way forward
* Be alerted in single-player if there are nearby online players with similar progress, and instantly join them with a press of a button
* No co-op character restrictions! Play who want, even if you and your friends all choose Logan
* New Game Plus for replayability

Steam Group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WangIsland/

Wang Island Hamachi Co-Op

1) Download Hamachi here: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/download.aspx
This program lets you turn a LAN game into a private internet game. It's great for when the title in question currently suffers from internet server and connection issues.

2.a) Log in to the Wang Island LAN:
Network Name: Wang Island or PADead
Password:
wang

2.b) Or create your own Hamachi network for players to join if the above one is full. It's as easy as selecting 'Network' and 'Create a new network'. Input what you what the name and password to be and give those details to your friends.

3) For voice chat, Ventrilo is preferred:
Download Ventrilo here: http://www.ventrilo.com/

4) Find some co-op partners, start up a game in LAN mode, and play!

Xbox 360 Player List

Forum Name - Xbox 360 Gamertag
Dunxco - Dunxco

Reviews

5/5 - Co-Optimus Review - "Dead Island is great. Go buy it." "As a single player experience it's fun (really fun), but not amazing. There are some minor flaws that keep it from becoming something truly special. As a co-op experience, Dead Island overcomes these flaws, nay, it strait up curb stomps them into a soupy red goo. Dead Island is one of the best co-op titles of the year." "Dead Island is the closest thing to date to an open world co-op action RPG. As an added bonus, it has zombies. There’s plenty of content here as well with lots of side quests to keep you occupied. You should have no problem putting 30 hours into the game before seeing the end with one character. Not to mention all the return vacations you’ll be making to Banoi with friends. Dead Island breathes new life into the zombie genre."

9/10 - Team Xbox Review - "The comparison has been made many times before, and will continue to be made as well, but it works because it fits. Dead Island is Fallout 3 with Zombies." "Did it scare the crap out of me at times? 100%. Was there a real feeling of survival horror (as opposed to just jumping-scares) that has been sadly lacking from other contemporary zombie games? You bet." "This is a zombie game the likes of which you've never played. They do so much that hasn't been done, and do it so right."

8.5/10 - Gametrailers Xbox 360 Video Review

8.5/10 - Game Informer Xbox 360 Review - "After kicking and slashing my way through the infected island of Banoi, I can say the game has tons to offer." "My time on Banoi Island was filled with more memorable moments than I could’ve imagined." "While the captivating locations and engaging combat should entertain zombie fans, Dead Island is missing a layer of polish." "I’ve played a lot of zombie games in my time, and Dead Island scratched an itch I didn’t even know I had. Cooperative undead survival is nothing new to gaming, but exploring a gigantic zombie-infested island with friends is. I easily poured over 40 hours into my playthrough, and a new game plus promises even more entertainment. Rewarding character progression and the vast variety of weapons should appeal to anyone looking for a good time. If you’ve spent your time planning for the zombie apocalypse, Dead Island is the best option so far to test how long you’d last."

8/10 - AusGamers Review - "In a time when Deus Ex: Human Revolution has completely captured my attention, I was surprised with how much I wanted to jump back into Dead Island. As a fan of all-things zombie, I went in with high expectations and found that the game ticked a lot of the right boxes. Throw seamless drop-in/drop-out co-op into the mix so all of this can be enjoyed with friends or randoms and the appeal is a whole lot stronger, particularly considering the clever variations between quests. For those who love zombie games or those looking for an open-world RPG that offers plenty of hours for your investment, Dead Island is well worth the visit."

8/10 - IGN Playstation 3 Review - "Dead Island is Fallout 3 with zombies." "You rarely feel safe in Dead Island, and that's how a zombie game should be." "Dead Island probably won't win any game of the year awards. It's got visual bugs, the controls take a bit to feel normal, and the presentation in general isn't up to snuff. But the game gets a lot right. There is a huge world to explore, thousands of zombies to kill, and tons of side quests to take. Here on the other side of a 25-hour playthrough -- where I skipped a lot of side quests after Act 1 -- I'm anxious to get back into Dead Island, and despite the game's flaws, that's not something I say often."

7/10 - Destructoid Xbox 360 Review - "Dead Island's biggest problem, however, is that it's just not a finished game." "Yet ... it's a fun broken mess, at its most ultimate conclusion." "It's something that shouldn't succeed, and often doesn't, yet it does something to make it all click together. This is a game I foresee playing extensively beyond completion, because it has an inherent magnetism and a vicious charm that cannot be denied, even in the face of so much aggravating game design and buggy roadblocks." "There's a lot of content to be found, as well. With at least thirty hours of gameplay and a lot of secrets to uncover, Dead Island is a huge title." "Is Dead Island good? Yes it is ... but it isn't at the same time. It's inspired, but turgid. Brilliant, but flawed. Fun, but infuriating. Like the living dead itself, Dead Island is a contradiction from beginning to end. However, I feel you need to play it, because despite copying so much from infinitely smoother games, there's nothing quite like it on the market. That, itself, is yet another contradiction in the confused, conflicted, often completely beautiful mess that is Dead Island."

3/5 - Joystiq Review - "Though the zombie apocalypse may occasionally be grimly satisfying or fleetingly triumphant when you survive another night, there's one thing it almost certainly won't be. Fun." "The melee system is desperately in need of some depth or flow." "When entering any room is marked by rifling through seven trash cans and comparing the durability stats between two hammers, pacing is ... a problem. ... Oh, and did I mention the searchables replenish themselves, so you get to frequently repeat this banal dance? Whee!" "At least you'll be scrounging through trash cans in some really gorgeous environments. Techland's propriety Chrome Engine 5 is putting out some stunning stuff, particularly in the jungles which are so lush and detailed you may find yourself instinctively reaching for the DEET." "There's so much content in Dead Island, it's a real shame the work wasn't done to take it from functional to fun. Some of it works: There's a beautiful world to explore here, some genuinely neat ideas and cool weapons. But the end product too closely mirrors its antagonists: Shambling forward, but only just."

6/10 - Eurogamer Review - "Much like the moaning corpses that you're destined to spend a lot of time hacking to pieces, Dead Island is a shambling, lurching thing, falling to bits in important areas and frankly a bit whiffy up close. It's also strangely compelling, provided you're a forgiving sort who doesn't flinch at wonky coding and weird design decisions." "This is not just a horror action game with occasional RPG bits glued on. It's a full-on openworld horror role-playing game, complete with crafting, side quests and skill trees." "Graphically, it's a bit of a dog." "Reducing one of the tougher 'thug' zombies to a bloody skeleton, with stumps at the shoulder, still desperately trying to bite you, is undeniably fun." "I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the experience though. Dead Island is a deeply flawed game, but it's also clearly a low-budget game and one that has interesting ideas, often under-served by the bargain-basement code. Finding the diamonds in the rough demands a lot of patience, and enough investment in the base joys of zombie slaughter to tolerate the laundry list of flaws."

Screenshots
jueRH.jpg

K989l.jpg

0KFEl.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
Dashui on

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That trailer is hilarious.

Couscous on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    That trailer is hilarious.

Horrible person!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes. I have been waiting for this since it was announced, but gave up on it equally as quickly, because it went completely silent. I was going to mention it in my Call of Juarez thread, but I figured it was still canceled or something and not worth mentioning.

The entire idea of it makes me happy. Can't wait to blow up some barrels and ignite some Z's.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How far is too far?

Sorry, I guess being a parent is making me into a big softy, but I can't watch that shit.

Drake on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have gone from no awareness to very interested.

DarkPrimus on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have goosebumps.

Very sad but fantastic trailer.

hatedinamerica on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is gonna' be the most amazing fucking thing if it comes anywhere close to that trailer.

The wording of the description makes me wonder, though: could this wind up being STALKER with zombies? Because that would be the greatest fucking thing of zombie-game-kind.

EDIT: I wonder if it'd be possible to mod zombie perameters? Maybe some kind of pre-game setup system where you choose your style (Romero, 28 Days, Living Dead, etc) or randomize their traits like some kind of All Flesh Must Be Eaten homebrew thing?

Sorenson on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Neat trailer, I liked how the two timelines merged together, a good image to end on (except for the mandatory cheesy we're a happy family stuff that came later).

Will wait to see if the gameplay is any good, the idea is solid at least.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There is no way that game will come anywhere close to the trailer. I can't see how any type of game play can seem anything other than extremely shallow compared to that trailer.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

That trailer...damn...

Can't really say much about the game, but that trailer is put together really well.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Frankly, if they make an open ended Left 4 Dead I'll be the worlds happiest person.

Casually Hardcore on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that trailer was amazing. was waiting for a thread to pop up. this is looking extremely promising.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited February 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »
    EDIT: I wonder if it'd be possible to mod zombie perameters? Maybe some kind of pre-game setup system where you choose your style (Romero, 28 Days, Living Dead, etc) or randomize their traits like some kind of All Flesh Must Be Eaten homebrew thing?

This would be the best thing in the history of everything ever.

The only thing is, Living Dead zombies would mean you're SOL without a nuke. Unless you have enough paramedics to distract them while you run like hell. :P

It'd be nice to, just once, outside of something awful like the Land of the Dead game, get Romero zombies. Headshot, slow moving, en masse, lack of weaponry. If this delivers anything like that, it is the only game I'll ever need.

Klash on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The thing that makes L4D so much fun is the fact it's not open world; it's a tightly controlled linear experience

tofu on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The music in that trailer is haunting.

I love it.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited February 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    The thing that makes L4D so much fun is the fact it's not open world; it's a tightly controlled linear experience

I'm envisioning a rouge like FPS experience with randomized objectives, a more sophisticated Director spawning A.I. , NPC parties that can perma die, etc.

Basically I want a never ending zombie game. A game of surviving for as long as possible. The only ending is you dieing.

Casually Hardcore on
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh. Oh my.

Gonna be keeping an eye on this.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i honestly haven't been this hyped for an under-the-radar game since Edge of Twilight

and i don't even know what the fuck happened to that game :(

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jesus Christ, that trailer

Green on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Travan wrote: »
    Oh. Oh my.

Turkey on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    How far is too far?

Sorry, I guess being a parent is making me into a big softy, but I can't watch that shit.

Yeah, damn. Way to make me depressed for the next decade.

joshofalltrades on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that was a fantastic trailer

the raw emotion conveyed in it was insane

Rent on
    edited February 2011
    well to be fair it's not as depressing as lots and lots and LOTS of other stuff involving kids, gaming, and death

but still. it's a type of loss that games really don't often depict, and it's definitely a punch to the gut. D:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited February 2011
    There is no way that game will come anywhere close to the trailer. I can't see how any type of game play can seem anything other than extremely shallow compared to that trailer.
    I know we're not getting anything as well choreographed as that, but if we get:

* that kind of human-zombie interaction (dudes gettin' tackled, dudes getting grabbed and dragged around, DUDES ACTUALLY GETTING RIPPED APART AND EATEN ALIVE which ironically for some reason seems to be rare in zombie games)
    * that kind of audio detail (actually hearin' dudes having their flesh and muscles ripped away and people screamin' with everything they've got as opposed to that more toned, macho bullshit you get normally in games)
    * that kind of blood spray and body damage and dismemberment, which from what I hear is a big thing they're touting

that'd put this pretty much over every "straight" zombie game on the market.

Sorenson on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I love it.

Reminds me of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hre5fkdq-0

Green on
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    that was a fantastic trailer

the raw emotion conveyed in it was insane

There you have your next Let's Play ;-)

Turkey on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe I am made of stone but that trailer didn't really get me.

Anybody know what platforms this is on?

PC XBOX PS3 according to IGN

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited February 2011
    man, i can already taste the mods for this game. soon as everyone plays through once, they're gonna want a shotgun. and infinite ammo.

because fuck those motherfucking zombies who ate people i loved

i'm talking a serious visceral response. this game is going to make people raw.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Green wrote: »

I love it.

Reminds me of

pretty sure that's why it started as a zoomed out eye

Rent on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Amazing trailer - I want it in downloadable HD to watch on my big TV :)

I only hope it avoids the 'boss' fights of Dead Rising - the one thing that spoiled those games for me.

I want lots of zombies, and lots of blunt instruments to hit them with - add in open world gameplay, and this will be a day one purchase.

Xbox or PC, though ? Hmmm.

M-Vickers on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am imagining multiplayer.

You get bit and can choose to hide it from the other survivors and end up becoming a Zombie that you can still control.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »

I love it.

Reminds me of

pretty sure that's why it started as a zoomed out eye

And takes place on an island. I'm getting some heavy Lost vibes from all of this.

Igpx407 on
    edited February 2011
    The trailer didn't really click with me, but if this is the mood the game is aiming for I am totally behind it.

Turkey on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think that trailer sold me on the game...

gjaustin on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am so very optimistic about this game. I'm not sure if Techland's up to the challenge, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. That's an awesome trailer, kudos to whatever studio did that?

I agree completely.

And the title of the game always makes me think of Isle of the Dead. That game in retrospect was terrible and stupid, but it scared the hell out of me as a kid. When you quit, there was a little cutscene of the guy blowing his own head off with his shotgun.

edit:
    Sorenson wrote: »
    I know we're not getting anything as well choreographed as that, but if we get:

* that kind of human-zombie interaction (dudes gettin' tackled, dudes getting grabbed and dragged around, DUDES ACTUALLY GETTING RIPPED APART AND EATEN ALIVE which ironically for some reason seems to be rare in zombie games)
    * that kind of audio detail (actually hearin' dudes having their flesh and muscles ripped away and people screamin' with everything they've got as opposed to that more toned, macho bullshit you get normally in games)
    * that kind of blood spray and body damage and dismemberment, which from what I hear is a big thing they're touting

that'd put this pretty much over every "straight" zombie game on the market.

I think you're going to be disappointed in every one of those categories. I wouldn't let a trailer like that give you any hopes as to the actual game.

PolloDiablo on
    edited February 2011
    i'm talking a serious visceral response. this game is going to make people raw.
    Oh boy, this. Honestly, the one thing that's got me so hyped up is that if the trailer is any indication this is some no-holds-barred full-on zombie apocalypse material, chock full of all the bloody gorey horror that you'd expect of such. They've got their legal and sales reasons to do so, of course, but stuff like Resident Evil or Left 4 Dead never really went into that big and obvious dark corner of the genre, and all of a sudden here we are with a trailer that shows just how fucked up and mind-shatteringly horrible zombies and their rampages are, and it's like those gum commercials where the dude takes a bite and is suddenly chucked into a giant pool of Listerine or something, and it's just well holy fuck.

Sorenson on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fantastic trailer. Shame the kid looks even more hideous as a regular non-zombie in the end scene. That's a terrifying smile.

Big Classy on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I love it.

Reminds me of

Damn you! Hearing Lost music always makes me a bit sad. It's like reminiscing about someone dear to me that I'll never see again.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    Travan wrote: »
    Oh. Oh my.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited February 2011
    tofu wrote: »

I'm envisioning a rouge like FPS experience with randomized objectives, a more sophisticated Director spawning A.I. , NPC parties that can perma die, etc.

Basically I want a never ending zombie game. A game of surviving for as long as possible. The only ending is you dieing.

I'm expecting at least two types of MP:

Infestation like in AvP (dying makes you a baddie)
    Survivor like in AvP (here's a map, those are baddies, try not to die)

Except both will take place in large swathes of land with crazy crap happening and always AI enemies around, because what's the point of zombies if they aren't in massive numbers?

Also not bothered by the trailer. I remember there being a trailer that showed gameplay. I'm gonna have to track that down.

Edit: From IGN.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2007/08/22/dead-island-pc-games-trailer-teaser-gc-2007?objectid=829562

Klash on
This discussion has been closed.