As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead Island] Please post in new thread

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All that trailer tells me is that they hired someone who is good at making trailers, and that zombies are kinda dicks.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If the game involves child zombies I am in, in, in

Jintor on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm.

Well, I'll give the trailer this much: It was an interesting format to use, the two timeframes going on at the same time.

However, I have this thing about using kids to just get an impact. It's too easy to not do it well. This was...borderline. Might have gone too far, but eh, I can chalk my reaction up to the fact that I have kids the age of the girl in the trailer.

That stated, with what I've seen of Dead Space 2, apparently using kids is the new "cover-based combat" for horror games. *shrug*

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Marikir wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Well, I'll give the trailer this much: It was an interesting format to use, the two timeframes going on at the same time.

However, I have this thing about using kids to just get an impact. It's too easy to not do it well. This was...borderline. Might have gone too far, but eh, I can chalk my reaction up to the fact that I have kids the age of the girl in the trailer.

That stated, with what I've seen of Dead Space 2, apparently using kids is the new "cover-based combat" for horror games. *shrug*

Horror has been using kids for a very, very long time.

Turkey on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm reminded of World War Z with the tropical zombies. That's a very, very good thing.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sold. Seriously. I'm sold.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jesus.... Trailer of the year.

urahonky on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Publisher Deep Silver and developer Techland recently showed me an early build of Dead Island, and the zombies were horrifying in their varying states of decay. With each blow, their already sloughing flesh fell away in sprays of blood, revealing layers of muscle underneath.
    Although the player starts out as a simple tourist with minimal zombie-killing skills, his traits will improve along the way, thanks to a mini role-playing system built into the game. Although Deep Silver isn't spilling all the details yet, we know there will be a leveling system and a skill tree. As the player progresses, his stats will increase and he'll gain access to new combat abilities and animations.

My dead body is ready. A brutally realistic first person zombie game in a unique location with RPG elements? Get the fuck out of my dreams, developers.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    that was a fantastic trailer

the raw emotion conveyed in it was insane

There you have your next Let's Play ;-)

well...yeah

if the story can live up to the trailer's standards i'm gonna lp the fuck out of it

Rent on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Publisher Deep Silver and developer Techland recently showed me an early build of Dead Island, and the zombies were horrifying in their varying states of decay. With each blow, their already sloughing flesh fell away in sprays of blood, revealing layers of muscle underneath.
    Although the player starts out as a simple tourist with minimal zombie-killing skills, his traits will improve along the way, thanks to a mini role-playing system built into the game. Although Deep Silver isn't spilling all the details yet, we know there will be a leveling system and a skill tree. As the player progresses, his stats will increase and he'll gain access to new combat abilities and animations.

My dead body is ready. A brutally realistic first person zombie game in a unique location with RPG elements? Get the fuck out of my dreams, developers.

fuckfuck fuck

somebody give me money so I can give it to these people

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One thing that's also going to be great, provided they actually go through with it, is how players are going to react to other players getting killed and then reanimating later on in co-op. Like Honky and some other dudes getting ambushed and Honky gets his balls bitten off and dies or whatever, but then later on as the survivors are dealing with another group he and his damn hat show up in the midst of a horde. Will they be able to deal with him and push through whatever attachments they had for him, or will the shock of seeing him and the natural instincts to work with and defend your fellow survivors be enough to screw them up for the brief window needed for them to get overrun?

This thing NEEDS some kind of input and video recording and stuff, this could be just as much academic as entertaining.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it, link to the video I was asking about if you're interested. Holy fuck if we get zombies like in the last stages of that vid this is gonna' be some horrifically terrifying shit.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think most player would just react in a manner such as: "Damn bro it's zombie you!" *Smashes zombie-friend's head.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was the saddest thing.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow. Seriously the best trailer I have seen in a long time.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm reminded of World War Z with the tropical zombies. That's a very, very good thing.

I'm with you 100%

Jintor on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow. Seriously the best trailer I have seen in a long time.

Even if the game turns out to be absolute shit, the trailer itself is like a wonderful short film on its own

Green on
  • Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That trailer is amazing.

Pastee on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm.

Fucking invisible children monsters in the school with huge ass butcher knives.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm.

Fucking invisible children shitbags by the doors who steal and pawn your shit.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Fucking invisible children shitbags by the doors who steal and pawn your shit.

Until they steal your TnT that happened to be on a timer.....

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Unless you play the PAL version where they get replaced with the teddy bears with giant claws that you wouldn't ordinarily encounter until the sewers.

Lars on
  • Options
    Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Amazing trailer in the OP, everything else looks pretty standard. I'll check on this later around its release. I like the idea of players re-acting to others getting infected but I don't see how this could work in the way we except from other media.

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One thing that's also going to be great, provided they actually go through with it, is how players are going to react to other players getting killed and then reanimating later on in co-op. Like Honky and some other dudes getting ambushed and Honky gets his balls bitten off and dies or whatever, but then later on as the survivors are dealing with another group he and his damn hat show up in the midst of a horde. Will they be able to deal with him and push through whatever attachments they had for him, or will the shock of seeing him and the natural instincts to work with and defend your fellow survivors be enough to screw them up for the brief window needed for them to get overrun?

This thing NEEDS some kind of input and video recording and stuff, this could be just as much academic as entertaining.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it, link to the video I was asking about if you're interested. Holy fuck if we get zombies like in the last stages of that vid this is gonna' be some horrifically terrifying shit.

Now why does it have to be me that gets his balls bitten off?

urahonky on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    That was the saddest thing.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11052001

Sheep on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, despite the fact that I felt the trailer was crassly manipulative (but still what I saw of it was undeniably well done), I am really interested in seeing where this game is going. It'll at least be interesting to see what the latest iteration of the Chrome engine is capable of doing.

Drake on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

Hey - at least people are open to the possibility of you having them to be bitten off in the first place!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxO1YUHVmrg

Trailer put into chronological order for anybody who was confused by the action, or just wants to see it again.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's like Requiem For a Dream

Why would I want to put myself through that again
    But I'm a daddy and yeah it's a good trailer

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Yeah, despite the fact that I felt the trailer was crassly manipulative (but still what I saw of it was undeniably well done), I am really interested in seeing where this game is going. It'll at least be interesting to see what the latest iteration of the Chrome engine is capable of doing.

How is it manipulative? The trailer pretty much summed up what's poignant about the Zombie genre in 3 minutes.

Despite the over saturation of Zombies in video games they've never hit the right emotional response from them.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Green wrote: »
    The music in that trailer is haunting.

I love it.

Reminds me of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hre5fkdq-0

Damn you! Hearing Lost music always makes me a bit sad. It's like reminiscing about someone dear to me that I'll never see again.

A six year relationship that ended terribly.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited February 2011

How is it manipulative? The trailer pretty much summed up what's poignant about the Zombie genre in 3 minutes.

Despite the over saturation of Zombies in video games they've never hit the right emotional response from them.

Ripping a child from the arms of her loving parents and murdering her to showcase your awesome zombie game that probably won't be near as visceral in reality is crassly manipulative in my opinion. But then that's the name of the marketing game. That's why I'm not up in arms over this. Personally, it makes me feel unpleasant things I don't want to feel so I just don't watch it. The game on the other hand is going to lose that edge simply from the addition of player control. I'm not saying that it won't have impact, or that it will lack the ability to disturb, but I seriously doubt that I'll find anything in the game unwatchable or unplayable. Simply because I'll feel like I'm in control, even if that feeling of control is mostly illusory.

Or maybe Techland will suddenly display a genius for gameplay that they've kept well hidden over the years and deliver the most terrifying experience ever. I doubt this though. I've played (and enjoyed) enough of their games to know what's up.

Drake on
  • Options
    stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Keeping my eye on this now. That trailer was amazing.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just Cause 2 with zombies and axes?

Sold.

adytum on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow. That trailer.

Keeping an eye on this.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ripping a child from the arms of her loving parents and murdering her to showcase your awesome zombie game that probably won't be near as visceral in reality is crassly manipulative in my opinion. But then that's the name of the marketing game.

Oh come now, every piece of medium serves only to manipulate your emotions in order to return a desired emotional result. That this trailer does it more skillfully than the others is no more crass than a Killzone trailer being all "NUH NUH NUH WAR HOORAH" or a Nintendogs trailer being all "Man, aren't dogs cute"?

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Ripping a child from the arms of her loving parents and murdering her to showcase your awesome zombie game that probably won't be near as visceral in reality is crassly manipulative in my opinion. But then that's the name of the marketing game.

Oh come now, every piece of medium serves only to manipulate your emotions in order to return a desired emotional result. That this trailer does it more skillfully than the others is no more crass than a Killzone trailer being all "NUH NUH NUH WAR HOORAH" or a Nintendogs trailer being all "Man, aren't dogs cute"?

Did you miss the bolded part up there or something? Or how about the bit before that where I state that this is simply my opinion?

I mean, it's not like I use marketing to make my purchasing decisions anyway. Especially for games.

It is interesting seeing how much this trailer is driving a lot of the desire for this game though.

edit: As a piece of media in the Zombie genre, it's a simple trope that's been around for ages. The fact that it's given this kind of queasy, close up and slo mo voyeurism isn't even unique. The only thing unique about it is that it's in a trailer for a video game.

As a piece of marketing for the game, I seriously doubt any of what we saw is indicative of actual gameplay (par for the course). So that's my reasoning for calling it crassly manipulative.

Drake on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

But we're already desensitized to seeing images of war in video games. What that trailer shows is an area that many developers have avoided and I think for good reason. That trailer (while being a great piece of work, in that it gets the emotional response it was going for) could turn off many older gamers from the game, esp those with children. I mean, it's a pretty depressing trailer and doesn't make me want to go anywhere near the game if there is going to be more of that stuff.

Horses for courses and all that.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I think the point, for me at least, is that focusing on a child in any sort of threatening situation is "the easy way out" and can quite easily be done in such a manner as to be considered crass.

Media has long used kids in this manner. And it's rarely done well. It can be and when it is, it's a powerful moment. The problem is that it's very much a balancing act to get it right.

For some, this wasn't effective and was a little too much. Did it get us talking? Oh, hell yes, so in that regard, it worked. But, that doesn't mean it wasn't crass or cheap.

Now, all of this is very much my own view on it. However, it sounds like it's a view that others have. For some of us, it was too crass. It wasn't one of the times when threats to a kid or the death of a child is done well.

But, again, we are talking about it, so the trailer did it's job to get in our heads.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Just Cause 2 with zombies and axes?

Sold.

With four-player co-op! Level ups with skill trees! And remember the ridiculous (awesome) damage modeling in Soldier of Fortune? You can literally carve the skin and muscles and bones off the zombies you fight! Delicious.

Apparently, it's a fairly serious game, though, so not the kind of jovial atmosphere Just Cause 2 sported. I'm okay with this. I'm pretty excited for a more grim zombie game in a big, open game world, and I like what I'm hearing about the rarity of supplies and firearms.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Sorry, that's just the first mortal wound that still leaves you pretty recogniseable I thought of. :P

Sorenson on
This discussion has been closed.