As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 2/16/11: "Come on, laugh."

MunchMunch Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Graphic Violence
Thunderbolts #153; Luke and Abe fight a monster's mouth, Ghost gives the ladies of the team mouth-to-mouth, and Juggernaut gets punched in the mouth. This comic has an oral fixation, and I'm okay with that. It also has one of the best endings I've seen in at least six months. Jeff Parker and Kev Walker continue to kill on this book. If you're not buying this book, rectify that immediately.

513v2h.jpg

Doom Patrol #19; the Secret Six invade Oolong Island, and are met with resistance from not only the Doom Patrol, but also a sentient bungalow, a team of mad scientists eager to show off their macho sides, and a pelican. I know a lot of people aren't reading this, but I hope that's eventually rectified, when the TPBs are all out. In my opinion, Giffen and Clark's run is right up there with Morrison and Arnold Drake's. In some ways, I think it's actually better. Giffen's managed to hit all the right nostalgic notes, being very inclusive of the team's history, while also looking forward, putting them in a new environment, and having them face new challenges. Despite some occasional poor issues, it's what more superhero comics should aspire to be.
11rredv.jpg

34z15s0.jpg

Later..

ziljxe.jpg

I have to say, if Giffen and Clark had done nothing else with this book, taking Rita Farr from being a submissive, faded movie starlet, to a powerful, confident ass-kicker, has entirely justified its existence. They're completely rehabilitated her as a character, and I really hope their interpretation sticks, even after the book's canceled. Comics needs more badass women.

Booster Gold #41; Booster fights a green Nazi, a hero returns, and Booster gets a new headquarters, of a sort. This issue is the kind of quality that I expected from Giffen and DeMatteis doing Booster Gold. It's a shame that they seem to be hitting their stride again, just as it's announced the book will once again be taken over by Jurgens.
zx2s82.jpg

sgsxlk.jpg

Spider-Girl #4; Anya gets a new roommate, fights two villains and a fat guy, and a cast-member from Marvel Adventures migrates to 616. This issue was definitely better than the last two, but was again marred by some unfortunate fill-in art.
2ujh5it.jpg

I wonder if this Chat can also speak to animals. I kinda doubt it, but it's neat to see her show up.

I also picked up two out-of-print books (Brandon Graham's Escalator, and Mike Hawthorne's Hysteria), Parker: The Outfit, and the next volume of True Story, Swear to God, each for 40% off.

All in all, it was a good week for comics.

Munch on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was five minutes too late!

But T-Bolts was good, here is what I posted:

Thunderbolts #153 gets back to being the best book Marvel puts out. Good batch of teamwork, action, and we get foreshadowing for Walker's new squad. Man-Thing half-asses it in the issue though.....

literally, because Hyperion cut him in half with his heat vision.

Juggernaut beats up Hyperion using a rope a dope, while Ghost saves Karla and Melissa:

tb153a.jpg

And Juggernaut beats up Hyperion pretty good, then uses Songbird's dog collar for keeping everyone in line on him:

tb153b.jpg

Nothing like good old fashioned teamwork

edit: oh hell, forgot about Doom Patrol being a SS tie-in.

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    Green Lantern #62 was pretty good, and Mahnke got to draw Superman so that's always a win (he draws Bruce in his old outfit though). And a reveal that ties into the white lantern and the upcoming war of the Green Lanterns:

Before the Guardians used green alone, they were white with the white ring emblem, as there is a flashback to when Krona first discovers about the secrets of the universe and the other Guardians bring him down (with manhunters). We also see that in the War of the Green Lanterns Hal has become too unstable, comparing him to Atrocitus with rage and Sinestro with pride.

And on top of all that Krona got all his avatars, and Hal screws up saving the day, resulting in a Batman/GL smack talk again:

gl62a.jpg

gl62b.jpg

and then Hal runs off with the different lantern corps, leaving his human bros behind, like whaaaat

TexiKen on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    have I mentioned how much I love Man-Thing yet

I'm just gonna say it another billion times

Antimatter on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For someone with doe eyes who can't do anything but shamble silently, Man-Thing manages to be super badass.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My MOTW was probably just Doom Patrol.
    Green Lantern had a lot of FUCK YEAH moments, which are like John's bread and butter

Tairu on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Couldn't pick up T-bolts this week unfortunately, but ASM 654.1 (aka Venom #1) rocked all kinds of socks!
    Flash did a little James Bond schtick at the beggining, culminating in a rescue op where he gunned down a bunch of terrorists and "Venomed out" letting the symbiot revert to its Brock/MacGargan state and chew off Flag Smasher's arm (never heard of him before this). Had a cool line when the guy he's rescuing calls him a cannibal manster and Flash/Venom responds by stating the logic that it didn't count because he didn't swallow. It seems that every time he bonds with the suit though it leaves a peice of itself behind, wonder where they're gonna go with that? Oh and apperently Parker's going to be getting two new suits that look pretty cool and will be becoming a temporary member of the FF for a bit.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good grief, why does anyone like Hal Jordan. For someone constantly riddled with guilt about being a mass murderer, he sure acts self-righteous about it.

Centipede Damascus on
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought the end to the first volume of SHIELD was pretty cool.

kfrooster on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hells yes, ASM 654.1 was pretty darn cool. Ramos' Venom is one of my favourites and the James Bond-esque intro was fun. Sheild, as always, was fan-fucking-tastic. Picked up Hawkeye: Blind Spot and enjoyed the heck out of it,
    seems theres a new Arsen... Trick Shot and he's in league with Zemo, the art is nice too and Tex called it, Clints slowly going blind thanks to events in Widowmaker. But he gets funky shades, so all good.
    For someone with doe eyes who can't do anything but shamble silently, Man-Thing manages to be super badass.
    It really is what he's all about.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Silver Surfer was good. JLA was not.

MastaP on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So happy with the art in Venom. I'm all giddy.

Caveman Paws on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really liked ASM but my favorite bit was the sneak preview at the end
    spidey.jpg

Also too long to post but the Wade/Logan argument in Uncanny X-Force made me happy

Finally, Hulk #30 was one big funny, awesome fight scene with Impossible Man fusing Hulk and Red Hulk together to fight Xemnu's army of space warriors, including his own special creation...
    21d04fb.jpg

Furu on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thunderbolts is starting to intrigue me

Why did Juggernaught beat up Hyperion? Did he turn out to be evil?

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah he's the evil Hyperion from Exiles

Furu on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From UNCANNY X-FORCE #5 (which hasn't had an issue that was less than awesome yet - if you're not reading it, check it out!):

dfznzk.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited February 2011
    That's not even the best part of that issue

Deadpool taking a stand is awesome and shows that not everyone has forgotten how to write him as something other than a vehicle for jokes

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    Wait what?

Deadpool being vaguely serious?

Post that shit Furu

Solar on
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Thunderbolts #153 gets back to being the best book Marvel puts out. Good batch of teamwork, action, and we get foreshadowing for Walker's new squad. Man-Thing half-asses it in the issue though.....
    What issue did the current run of Thunderbolts start at? I remember a picture on this forum a while back where USAgent was in a wheelchair with his leg and arm missing. Loved the art. I should have started picking it up then...

CJG on
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Wait what?

Deadpool being vaguely serious?

Post that shit Furu

It lasts more pages than I would be comfortable posting. BUY THE BOOK

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    If you thought Fables was kind of running out of steam, I would recommend you get back on it with #100, because #102 has a great premise for the next story that would appeal to superhero fans (and will be completely meta):
    Pinocchio wants to create a bunch of superheroes for Fabletown to fight Mr. Dark, with the belief that the built up readership and attention comic heroes get can increase the Fables power to beat him (it's really a smart idea). Pinocchio though wants to act like the leader so he rides around in a wheelchair now like Xavier or The Chief. Ozma even jumps on board:

fables102a.jpg

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CJG wrote: »
    What issue did the current run of Thunderbolts start at? I remember a picture on this forum a while back where USAgent was in a wheelchair with his leg and arm missing. Loved the art. I should have started picking it up then...
    The new run started with issue #144. The hardcover's available now, but personally I'd wait for the softcover, or see if your local shop will sell you the back issues at a discount, because charging $20 for four issues is bullshit.

If you wanted to hop right in, I'd say start with the giant-sized #150, and go from there. It has a detailed history of the Thunderbolts up to that point, an oversized main story, reprints the first issue of the Thunderbolts, and provides a pretty solid starting point for new readers.

Munch on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thank god for trades, gonna start getting t-bolts and uncanny x-force

cardboard delusions on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My MotWs were ASM, as the New Venom is very cool and interesting. And Hulk. Hulk was the best.

You see, because it was a silver age DC story. Rulk is forced to fight Xenmnu, The Living Titan, who claims he had the Hulk name first. He kicks Rulks ass around using a combination of psychic powers and Kulh, who is straight up BizzaroHulk. White skin and says "Verily base villain! Today thou shalt be hoist on thine own pitard!". Green Hulk shows up, and discovers he's immune to Xemnus psychic powers. So Impossible Man(who is there to broadcast the fight across the galactic TV networks) does the logical thing and slaps them together to make Compund Hulk.

Seriously this is the most fun Hulk comic I've ever read and McGuinness draws the hell out of it. Its a done in one and is also 40 pages for 3.99. You have no excuse not to buy it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So that Hyperion-Jugs fight ,why did Hyps hand suddenly break? Did Cytorrak give Jugs a boost?

Weaver on
    edited February 2011
    I guess he hit him on his forehead, rather than his face

The face being more squishy

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    No special reason. He'd just been punching him in the face up to that point, which is much softer than Cain's thick skull.

edit: Beaten by Solar.

Munch on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Marko really does need better helmet fastening technology.

Weaver on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wasn't his helmet welded to his suit at one point

Antimatter on
    edited February 2011
    That also sounds impractical

how is he supposed to bang She-Hulk while wearing his helmet

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    Hyperion melted the helmet off Juggy's head with his heat vision.

TexiKen on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hyperion melted the helmet off Juggy's head with his heat vision.

Fair enough, that's a hard one to plan for really

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Went and bought Thunderbolts thanks to this thread. Worth every penny.

Also: Hulk. Jeff Parker made me like the Hulk (the green one) again, over the last few issues, and it clicked with this week's. It's like finding a long lost friend.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    That also sounds impractical

how is he supposed to bang She-Hulk while wearing his helmet

totallyuntrue.png

Centipede Damascus on
    edited February 2011
    Well Jennie

Because it's funny

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    Vermis wrote: »
    Went and bought Thunderbolts thanks to this thread. Worth every penny.
    I'm glad so many people's interest in Thunderbolts seems to have been piqued. It's selling pretty well, but I want this book to sell like gangbusters, and go on for as long as Parker wants to write it.

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How was Escalator? And what about Hysteria?

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2011
    They were both pretty good, but not as great as I was hoping.

Escalator felt like an oddly personal book, as compared to Graham's King City. The entire book is made up of short, self-contained character pieces, that range from an autobiographical two-pager about pulling "the pervert move," where you crane you neck to check out a girl's butt as she walks past, to a story about a woman rescuing her unborn infant's soul from a spirit-munching monster. The greatest strength of the book is probably all the little text pieces, which explain the inspiration or thought process that lead to each of the comics. I'm a total process junkie, though. Its weakness, as with all anthologies, is that right as you're getting into a story, you're yanked out of it, and moved on to the next one.

This is also a problem with Hysteria, which I wasn't aware was an anthology-style book, with an ongoing main story every chapter, and short back-ups following them. Again it was good, but felt underdeveloped. Upon Googling it, it looks like Mike Hawthorne's put the entirety of the series, including what he completed of One Man Gang, up on his website, so go check it out.

Parker: The Outfit was the big indie-winner of the week though. I know it's old news by now, but damn Darwyn Cooke can tell a great story. My only real issue with it was that it seemed to fly by. Probably because I'd already read the teaser comic IDW released a few months back.
    dxfcs2.jpg

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks, Munch.

DouglasDanger on
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, it's not new stuff, but these were my moments:

Bought a back issue of Power Girl #15:
    1533479-pg15_super.jpg
    My 2-year old daughter see it and says "Mama stuck mud?" "Yes, the mommy is stuck in the mud, honey."

I also picked up the FireBreather Vol. 1 trade and it was a great read. Thanks for the recommendation, Munch! I'll have to pick up the next two volumes.

CJG on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reminds me of...

30205696326.3.GIF

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg