As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    Wheels and the Legman. <3

Rodger: "Let's face it, on our darkest day we're Scooby-Doo!"
    Steve: "Maybe Quincy."
    Rodger: "Maybe Quincy."

On the subject, most of the time when I ask people why they don't like American Dad, they say it's because of Rodger. I'm guessing it's got something to do with his voice or homoerotic behavior that turns people off, or both. If they didn't take the time to get past the first few episodes and get to know the character, their loss!

In both episodes of AD I saw that were strongly recommended to me (the Vietnam War reenactment, and the DeLorean episode), Rodger acted very, very stereotypically gay. He dressed up in women's clothing, and he obsessed with Barbara Streissand (which is hack comedy writer code for HAI GUYS THIS CHARACTER'S GAY). Sure, in the episodes he did some non-gay things (like his brief turn as a Viet Cong extortionist), but the impression he got was that his gay-tinged femininity was a very strong part of his character.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It is. I don't think many would argue differently. I can only think of 2 times he was genuinely attracted to a woman instead of a man (Steve's fat girlfriend, the Swedish girls "do I even like girls? I guess I like girls." the liquor store clerk was just a ruse)

I don't know. I can see how it could be a turn off, but it doesn't bother me.

Invisible on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think of Roger as gay or straight, and really it doesn't even matter. It's just him being batshit insane, except it sets up some hilarious stuff like the end of the play in this last episode.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can he really be straight or gay? It's an alien. He's not even the same species. They showed him having sex with another alien once and even then I don't think it was the same type of alien as 'him.' Which I don't even know that they've established Roger's gender within his species.

Long, boring days make me think about the weirdest things.

Invisible on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sentry wrote: »
    I don't think of Roger as gay or straight, and really it doesn't even matter. It's just him being batshit insane, except it sets up some hilarious stuff like the end of the play in this last episode.

This is how I view him too.

Stewie wasn't portrayed as likely gay until after the series had come back from cancellation, and even then they still will have him walk the line from time to time. Also his voice isn't nearly as gyrating as Rodgers.

Personally I've come to appreciate Rodger's voice. As far as his sexuality goes, my justification is that he's an alien and hasn't been established as any particular sex in the series yet. He could be both by human standards for all we know. Also he's always drunk, high, manipulative and insane, so his coming on to anything makes total sense.

Most people can't wrap their heads around a character straddling both genders, so if they see behavior that disturbs them - for a lot of people this includes stereotypical homosexual behavior - they develop an immediate dislike that is hard to shake off. Most people would consider Rodger a "male" simply due to his name. If it were something more ambiguous like say, "Pat" then you might have some wiggle room.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Roger does whatever is funny. Most of the time, that's dressing like a woman and making sexual jokes. I think I'm ok with this. It helps that every once in a while he shows up as a bland nobody, like in the episode where Francine pretends to be a concrete salesman.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seriously, how anyone can take Roger at all seriously is completely beyond me. This is a character who, for one episode, had two grown adult sons.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It is. I don't think many would argue differently. I can only think of 2 times he was genuinely attracted to a woman instead of a man (Steve's fat girlfriend, the Swedish girls "do I even like girls? I guess I like girls." the liquor store clerk was just a ruse)

So that's 1.5 instances of Rodger being heterosexual. And how many times has he been overtly "gay?"

It's very interesting how everyone is very quick to point out that he's not actually "just" gay, when the apparent evidence shows that he very much is. Hell, I don't have any problem with him being gay. My problem is that (in the admittedly little experience I have with the character) his gayness isn't really expressed in a non-stereotypical way (such as in his extended Barbara Streissand freakout). Also that his voice makes me want to punch him. It's not that his voice is "gay," it's just very condescending and annoying.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Roger in the first season was really annoying. So was Steve, really.

But since then they became more rounded and better characters, like when Klaus threatened revenge on them for throwing his bowl into a freezing waterpark slide and they hid in the attic for 9 months, and then realized the way to avoid Klaus' revenge was to put books over the top of the fish bowl.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Roger is the ultimate hedonist. That's basically his character right there.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can he really be straight or gay? It's an alien. He's not even the same species. They showed him having sex with another alien once and even then I don't think it was the same type of alien as 'him.' Which I don't even know that they've established Roger's gender within his species.

Long, boring days make me think about the weirdest things.

Wasn't there an episode where Roger was having sex with books?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

So that's 1.5 instances of Rodger being heterosexual. And how many times has he been overtly "gay?"

It's very interesting how everyone is very quick to point out that he's not actually "just" gay, when the apparent evidence shows that he very much is. Hell, I don't have any problem with him being gay. My problem is that (in the admittedly little experience I have with the character) his gayness isn't really expressed in a non-stereotypical way (such as in his extended Barbara Streissand freakout). Also that his voice makes me want to punch him. It's not that his voice is "gay," it's just very condescending and annoying.

As a gay guy I guess I should be offended by his stereotypical acts, but honestly I just find it funny. But then again, really isn't that offensive. I mean I thought the Peter turns gay episode was more offensive than Roger has ever been.

Also I think Roger was married or dating a woman in that episode that had him not realize he was living two lives.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I dunno... I guess when I first watched the show I though Roger was gay, but after like, three episodes it ceased to make any kind of difference. As Ranadiel says he is just a pure hedonist. Frankly, Roger has gone from being almost insufferable to being one of the best parts of the show, if not the best.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Roger role-plays as all sorts of people. "Stereotypical gay guy" is 1 of dozens. He also plays "stereotypical spring break frat guy" Scotch Bingington, and "stereotypical straight edge Christian" Sidney Huffman.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    don't forget stereotypical bond villain

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also loved Roy Rogers McFreely and his crew of mexicans.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also that his voice makes me want to punch him. It's not that his voice is "gay," it's just very condescending and annoying.

Roger's voice is actually based on some actor's...but I don't remember who.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Also that his voice makes me want to punch him. It's not that his voice is "gay," it's just very condescending and annoying.

Roger's voice is actually based on some actor's...but I don't remember who.

Paul Lynde.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Apologies if this is too off-topic, but I had to post this picture of Ken Jennings losing to a supercomputer on Jeopardy somewhere:

600_jenningssimpsons_021711.jpg

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can be useful finding others to toil in the microchip mines, which is what they eat I believe.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apologies if this is too off-topic, but I had to post this picture of Ken Jennings losing to a supercomputer on Jeopardy somewhere:

600_jenningssimpsons_021711.jpg

Well it is a Simpson's reference so still seems to be fairly relevant to this thread. :)

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't know about that whole thing. They were pretty lenient with the computer in terms of the answers it gave. I recall one question in particular that went something like, "This show within a show featured the cartoon Itchy and Scratchy."

The computer answered, 'The Simpsons' and they gave it to it; the true answer is the Krusty the Clown Show.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know about that whole thing. They were pretty lenient with the computer in terms of the answers it gave. I recall one question in particular that went something like, "This show within a show featured the cartoon Itchy and Scratchy."

The computer answered, 'The Simpsons' and they gave it to it; the true answer is the Krusty the Clown Show.

The Simpsons was a show inside the Tracey Ullman Show.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

The Simpsons was a show inside the Tracey Ullman Show.

The Tracey Ullman short that I&S appeared on was called 'The Bart Simpson Show'.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Andy Dick is the only bad thing about this AD episode so far. Roger driving the car and all the alarms was funnier than it had any right to be.

And the school principal, man whaaaaat. And the baby legs, what the hell, man.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When they were in Area 51, was that the old racist woman they gave to the government in place of Roger from way the hell back from the beginning of the series in a glass tube? Good callback if it was.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I didn't much care for the new American Dad, although there were some good parts (such as Roger's flashback revealing that he protested against school integration, was responsible for the Exxon Valdez oil spill, and created Jar Jar Binks).

Also, now we know that Roger is a "pansexual".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ...wow. Don't think I've ever seen this much random filler on The Simpsons before. And I'm a little amazed at how most of the random parodies of animation didn't really work. The Pixar and Aardman bits, despite going to the expense of using their styles, were especially lame. Dug Ricky Gervais and the Triplets of Belleville reference, though.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Family Guy is just shit now. Not even worth having on in the background.

"oh hey we only wrote a script enough for 15 minutes, let's have a 6 minute slo-motion old person fight round out the episode."

TexiKen on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I liked season 4 a lot when it came back.

then it got worse

and worse

and now I have not watched it for a few seasons

Jars on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good Simpsons tonight. Always had a thing for dam/damn puns.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just saw the AA family guy.

fuck that musical number.

normally I like the "this joke is obviously too long jokes" but that was just... just bad.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Family Guy is just shit now. Not even worth having on in the background.

"oh hey we only wrote a script enough for 15 minutes, let's have a 6 minute slo-motion old person fight round out the episode."

Lest we forget Peter vs Giant Chicken. I think i timed the third one and it was over 8 minutes long. Not enought Conway Twitty clips out there Seth?

Gotta add my love for American Dad though. I still find it hard to believe that it's the same guy sometimes. I mean, the Sidney Huffman episode, you need to follow that shit.

Tried to watch Bob's Burgers, couldn't make it 5 mintes, and Cleveland show didn't even last that in the background.

CarbonRod on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bob's Burgers gets points for, just a brief moment, using Walter and Perry's voices right after the robbery.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I liked Simpsons until the pop culture references began to dominate the episode. I enjoyed everything that happened before then, though, like the Roman Polanski gag and Homer knocking over all the cubicles.

American Dad wasn't particularly good, especially compared to other episodes about Roger, but it was still decent enough. I especially liked the requisite moment of demented humor with the baby legs.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I liked Ricky Gervais... and I liked the recall to Angry Dad.

Everything else was kind of meh, but I didn't actively hate the episode. American Dad was kind of disappointing though, sadly.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You know what I love about American Dad? How they reuse old characters.

Like the old racist lady that Stan used when the CIA almost caught Roger was the lady in the tube in last night's episode.

Or like the kegel exercises old lady. She appeared numerous times before she did that, notably during the vacation good episode as the lady who didn't want cream in her soup (no speaking lines).

Invisible on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    little baby legs made me laugh the entire time they were on screen.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good job ripping off of Apt Pupil, Seth...

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    ctowsleyctowsley Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have been pleasantly surprised by Bobs Burgers. I understand the complains about SM's formulaic approach to shows, but outside of the christmas special, I haven't even chuckled at FG in well over a year. Bobs burgers however has kept me chuckling through every episode. Maybe I'm alone in that...

ctowsley on