As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's go [Back to the Future] with Telltale

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish I could just buy the first episode. Paying for all of them right now when I can only play one, and that's assuming my computer cooperates, is a bit much.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Think of it like this then:

You are paying for an outrageously priced single episode, and you will get the other episodes for free later on.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also I've spent $45 on other games in the past week and there are still several days left, so I'm a little reluctant to shell out $22 more.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Think of it like this then:

You are paying for an outrageously priced single episode, and you will get the other episodes for free later on.

Is that actually how it works? I was looking at the Telltale store site but didnt see anything about the $25 getting you all 5 episodes.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've never bought anything episodic, so I assume that when the new episodes are released they will automatically download?

Ceno on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's how it works with Sam and Max on Steam. If you were buying individual episodes it would say "Back to the Future: Episode 1" and not "Back to the Future: The Game".

Hoz on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    I've never bought anything episodic, so I assume that when the new episodes are released they will automatically download?

On Telltale? No. They just announce when the next one is up and you have to go get it.
    On Steam? I have no idea.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone know what differences there are between buying via Steam vs. buying direct from Telltale?

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I just beat Episode 1.

Steam says I was playing for "2 hours" but I think it was more like 2 and a half. I didn't pick literally every dialogue option, but I did try to avoid picking "right" answers first if I thought they would move the story forward. The puzzles seemed more straight forward than Monkey Island or Sam and Max (since the tone is not as zany as those games.) I doubt it's more than 3 hours unless you get realllly stuck.

Post-game thoughts:

Do Not Open Until 1985

- I used the hint system one time in the final sequence, where it seemed like there was no solution, but I was really just failing to pixel-hunt and find and item I didn't know existed. It will give you 3 hints of what to do next starting vague and getting more direct. In that case the first two were useless because I already knew what I had to do, and the third basically said "Use X" which let me know there was an X I had totally missed.

- Both real Doc, and fake Teen Doc are good. So are Marty and his pop, good work on them

- 1985 (1986 I guess) Biff is passable...Kid Tannen doesn't look or sound like a Tannen at all, but they almost suggest he isn't Biff's father. Kinda weird.

- I liked the art, but the animation seemed pretty low budget, which takes away from the visual appeal.

- The inventory interface is pretty terrible. If feels super clunky. It looks like it is supposed to wrap around, but doesn't. So even with the limited number of items you get, some might be off screen.....

- I turned off all the objective and hint pop-ups....they looked pretty obnoxious.

- The tape recorder should have been a walk-man.

- The source of the un-destroyed DeLorean was pretty hand-wavy. I was hoping for something more interesting. Shouldn't there be two Docs?

In the end, I enjoyed it but sort of hate the interface.

Guitar Hero Of Time on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not completely sure, but I think that Steam populates your games list with all of the episodes in advance, but only lets you download them when they come out.

I think it's probably just the same system used for preordering. Do those automatically download, if you set them to?

jothki on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It only put Episode 1 in my library.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes, it's $25 for the full season no matter where you get it. But if you buy it from Telltale, they get a bigger cut of the profit and you can usually download the episode at least a few hours before they arrive on Steam. Plus, whenever they have a sale, they almost always throw another episode of choice in for free. I've bought all of their games through the store, and with all the special offers through the ages, I've gotten the entirety of Wallace & Gromit for precisely $0.

If you buy a season on Steam, each episode will be made available on the date in question pending Valve time - that is to say almost always at some random point during the day. You can't pre-load; it'll just pop up on your list.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also, if you buy from Telltale, you always get a hard copy mailed to you for free, which also functions as a DVD-video disc with audio commentary, concept art, design journals, and other special features.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It only put Episode 1 in my library.

Then I dunno.

jothki on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Also, if you buy from Telltale, you always get a hard copy mailed to you for free, which also functions as a DVD-video disc with audio commentary, concept art, design journals, and other special features.

They do this automatically? I don't have to request it?

I just bought this from their official website, hopefully I like it. I'm not huge on adventure games but I am a BTTF whore.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Gah. I signed up for the free episode, since I've already spent too much money this holiday season, and I'd rather see how the writing and pacing stacks up before dropping money on the entire series.

Then I find out the free episode won't be available until February. Okay, fine. Frustrating, but completely understandable from a business standpoint. If everybody could get the free episode right now, nobody would buy until the second one came out.

But just now, I got an e-mail telling me that my episode was available for download. I go ahead and download it, thinking maybe they've changed their minds, but nope. I can install it, but it won't let me activate it. So the e-mail was what? Taunting?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    They're calling you cheap!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I just bought this from their official website, hopefully I like it. I'm not huge on adventure games but I am a BTTF whore.

It's not automatic, they send out an email when it becomes available in the store. You put it in your shopping cart and order it like you would any online purchase, but it knows that you bought the game and adjusts the price to 0.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Check the email again, has it faded away?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm digging it so far, but honestly I think I'd rather wait for the PS3 version to complete it...any news on when it's coming?

Also I'm not used to how these games handle their saves. In the opening area, I talked to George, exhausting all the dialogue options, saved my game, exited, restarted and loaded up my save, and then wondered why the amp wasn't working when it was obviously what you had to do. It didn't save my dialogue options I'd already gone through with George that you need to do.

Weird.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I downloaded the demo for Puzzle Agent, to try it, and I'm pretty sure I just beat the whole game

To anyone that's purchased and finished the game, how does it end?

tofu on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    So I downloaded the demo for Puzzle Agent, to try it, and I'm pretty sure I just beat the whole game

To anyone that's purchased and finished the game, how does it end?
    You don't figure out anything, really. It's a cliffhanger for a game that I've heard nothing about sequelizing (I don't know how well it did in the Pilot Program) but not to spoil it too much, Nelson is back in his office and his boss basically says "X is their problem, not ours!"

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Haha, that's where the demo ended too

I guess Telltale is trying to guilt me into buying their game?

tofu on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well there are a lot of false endings when I played. Lots of cuts to black. Maybe they just gave you the same "ending" but none of the middle meat.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, I kept waiting for it to end since it was lasting 3 or 4 hours

tofu on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Has anyone found the system requirements for mac? I've got the cheapest most recent MacBook and I'd love to not have to wait for it to be on PSN. Plus, it just feels right playing a point and click with an actual point and clicker.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mac:
    Minimum Specs
    Processor: 2.0 Ghz Intel or equivalent
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Video Card: 256 MB NVidia or ATI graphics card
    Not recommended for Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks

Recommended Specs
    Processor: 2.3 Ghz Intel or equivalent
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Video Card: 512 MB NVidia or ATI graphics card
    Not recommended for Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone having trouble installing this? I tried downloading the setup exe file from telltale website, but I get an error about it not being compatible with 64-bit Operating Systems.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You have to request it, and you do need to pay cost of shipping (which is minimal).

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So Joystiq says Episode 2 is out now. Still wondering why they never gave an actual release date other than "February 2011"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, it's out. Haven't quite finished it yet but it's pretty entertaining so far. Not really any more difficult than the first one, but I don't mind so much.

freakish light on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just finished it...

holy shit that was so cool

The ending was just perfect. I can't wait for the next one.

freakish light on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isn't it supposed to pull your name from your episode 1 save? I've gone from Micheal Corleone to Davy Crocket!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's weird. I got Michael Corleone.

Love the camera work in this episode.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Weren't we supposed to be getting free versions of episode 1 at some point? I haven't heard anything about that.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The free episode is out now.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    agoaj wrote: »
    Isn't it supposed to pull your name from your episode 1 save? I've gone from Micheal Corleone to Davy Crocket!

I've gotten Corleone and Crockett so far and I didn't even pick either in the first episode

tofu on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, still no 360 version? Really hoping and wishing for a retail collection on 360 once all the episodes are out. I suppose I could cave and grab it on my Mac. Not really keen on sitting at my computer for any extended period of time. When's the ipad version coming?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Episode 1 just came out for the iPad yesterday.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »

I've gotten Corleone and Crockett so far and I didn't even pick either in the first episode

I got called all 3 over the course of the episode. They greeted me as Mr. Callahan, and then later referred to me as Mike. Whatevs.

l337CrappyJack on