As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

112th Congress! Go Go Gadget Grandstanding!

• Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hah. So let me get this straight. We already have a perfectly fine f-35 engine, but the military-industrial complex convinced congress to authorize developing another one, so that they could hypothetically maybe compete with the existing engine and drive the price of both engines? That's a laugh.

Well, as long as GE and Rolls Royce don't convince the Senate to undo the decision, that's the end of that plan. We shall see, I suppose.

dojango on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are there even enough tea party republicans and Dems to make a majority in the house?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    191 of 1, so there'd only have to be 30 of the other, and I think the House caucus is larger than that.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Are there even enough tea party republicans and Dems to make a majority in the house?

Hard to say. In this case, this vote was spilt in odd ways. The "defense spending is always sacrosanct" crowd combined with the "hey, those engine parts are produced in my district" crowd was only 198 votes. 110 republicans broke ranks with Boehner to kill the engine. Future defense cuts will probably vary depending on how duplicative the project is, and how widely spread the sweet, sweet pork is.

dojango on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

That because birth control makes sense for controlling out of control population growth, but when human use it it is EVIL.

The proposal as described sounds pretty good, actually. When it's a Republican idea I usually wait for the other sociopathic shoe to drop, but I don't see one.

Are the TEApers actually contributing to reasonable legislation?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    templewulf wrote: »

That because birth control makes sense for controlling out of control population growth, but when human use it it is EVIL.

The proposal as described sounds pretty good, actually. When it's a Republican idea I usually wait for the other sociopathic shoe to drop, but I don't see one.

Are the TEApers actually contributing to reasonable legislation?
    They already helped kill one piece of unnecessary military pork.

I don't think this proposal is a bad idea, necessarily, not that I'm really up on the whole donkey control issue. I just found the juxtaposition to be funny.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    dojango wrote: »
    Hah. So let me get this straight. We already have a perfectly fine f-35 engine, but the military-industrial complex convinced congress to authorize developing another one, so that they could hypothetically maybe compete with the existing engine and drive the price of both engines? That's a laugh.

Well, as long as GE and Rolls Royce don't convince the Senate to undo the decision, that's the end of that plan. We shall see, I suppose.

In fact, it may be even more ridiculous than that. If I recall correctly the air force actually came out against the second engine, and asked for it not to be funded so that they could have some of the money to spend on other stuff and the country could have the rest back, but the Republicans voted to build it anyway.

The problem is though that what we need to see is the research funding restored to the DOE, NIH and NIST. Well, at least not cut so horribly. We'll be seeing national labs closing if this bill passes.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Actually, the military has said "Actually, that was a terrible idea, we need to kill it".

But basically, something along those lines, yes.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Actually, the military has said "Actually, that was a terrible idea, we need to kill it".

But basically, something along those lines, yes.

Wasn't it similar to the refueling planes the Air Force said they didn't want, but congress insisted on increasing the order for anyways? At some level, defense spending is closely tied to how many senators you can build the things near so someone will demand we buy X product that the military really doesn't want.

kildy on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

"It's pretty clear this President is not going to lead," DeMint explained to his audience. "We've got to replace this President."

So your not-leader won't lead so you want to replace him with someone who will... lead?

edit: This is linked in that article, woo [strike]GOOOOOLD[/strike] alternate currencies

Phyphor on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait, Florida is going to get out of Medicare?

That just solved our budget problems in one fell swoop.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    But our budget problems are caused by a ton of money going retired peop..... ohhhhhhh.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Americans are "on our knees in front of China for credit," DeMint told the mostly conservative attendees feasting on fried rice and fortune cookies at Tony Chang's restaurant in the Chinatown section of D.C.
    oh god I can barely breath I'm laughing so hard.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

I often joke about the electoral zombie apocalypse.

I think we just kicked it off.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

That'll be the day the Republican party cedes Florida to Democrats forever. The GOP is crazy down here, not stupid.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah... About that. Listen to Joyce Kaufmann for a few days and get back to me.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »

That'll be the day the Republican party cedes Florida to Democrats forever. The GOP is crazy down here, not stupid.
    We're talking about a party that seems hellbent on making Texas purple.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Yeah... About that. Listen to Joyce Kaufmann for a few days and get back to me.

Joyce Kaufmann isn't the GOP.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Phyphor wrote: »

"It's pretty clear this President is not going to lead," DeMint explained to his audience. "We've got to replace this President."

So your not-leader won't lead so you want to replace him with someone who will... lead?

edit: This is linked in that article, woo [strike]GOOOOOLD[/strike] alternate currencies

Oh South Carolina.

You and your bizarre need to flip off the Union

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I often joke about the electoral zombie apocalypse.

I think we just kicked it off.

The article is a bit funky there.

I haven't heard anything about them and getting rid of medicare, but the thing with their governor recently is he rejected stimulus funds (about 2 billion dollars worth) that were to go towards building the line for a high speed rail system connecting Orlando to Tampa, and going on about something like "spending more money than you're taking in"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I saw that 'we should make our own currency' thing. Problem is:
    No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

So unless they simply authorize payment of debts in gold and silver, the idea is a non-starter.

Although, speaking of early American history, weren't a few states talking about trying to bring back the "Nullification" Nonsense? I thought Andrew Jackson had sorted that crap out already.

dojango on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What exact situation could possibly occur in which the Dollar would be completely devalued, and yet South Carolina's economy would be doing well enough to support a currency?

Edit: I forgot that it was unconstitutional.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What exact situation could possibly occur in which the Dollar would be completely devalued, and yet South Carolina's economy would be doing well enough to support a currency?

Zombies invade everywhere but SC.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Zombies invade everywhere but SC.

The bullets in AZ's lead based currency would be worth more then whatever the fuck South Carolina comes up with.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why would zombies invade South Carolina? They'd have nothing to eat.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

On the list of things that might encourage signing up for the army, a NASCAR sponsorship is not one of those.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seriously, this is the exact kind of shit the tea party should be talking about cutting.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So let me get this straight. She proposes cutting Army sponsorship of Nascar, taking public and taxpayer funds out of what is basically a private commercial enterprise or whatever. Her office is then bombarded with people screaming, as they say in the article, "Get your hands off my NASCAR" and a fax calling for the death of "marxists".

Never have I hated a single concept and all the people who enjoy it and are associated with it as I do fucking Nascar. :x

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. She proposes cutting Army sponsorship of Nascar, taking public and taxpayer funds out of what is basically a private commercial enterprise or whatever. Her office is then bombarded with people screaming, as they say in the article, "Get your hands off my NASCAR" and a fax calling for the death of "marxists".

Never have I hated a single concept and all the people who enjoy it and are associated with it as I do fucking Nascar. :x

I can think of a couple. They tend to wear things like white sheets.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, this is basically just advertising. If NASCAR is so effing patriotic, why don't they carry the army logo for free? But no, they're all about making money. Which is the principle behind professional sports. But they shouldn't get so upset when advertisers decide that the money they're spending isn't getting the results they want.
    They can go ahead and sell the space to a company that will actually get results from sticking an ad on race car.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »

I can think of a couple. They tend to wear things like white sheets.
    And watch NASCAR.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, this is basically just advertising. If NASCAR is so effing patriotic, why don't they carry the army logo for free? But no, they're all about making money. Which is the principle behind professional sports. But they shouldn't get so upset when advertisers decide that the money they're spending isn't getting the results they want.
    They can go ahead and sell the space to a company that will actually get results from sticking an ad on race car.

If NASCAR gives the military free advertising, then how is the private sector supposed to compete?!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »

If NASCAR gives the military free advertising, then how is the private sector supposed to compete?!

They can pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

Or, I guess...lugnuts

Lugnuts.

MKR on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, it's the same guy(s) who sent the last death threat fax.

What, do fax lines not have *69 or caller id?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I saw that 'we should make our own currency' thing. Problem is:
    No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

So unless they simply authorize payment of debts in gold and silver, the idea is a non-starter.

Although, speaking of early American history, weren't a few states talking about trying to bring back the "Nullification" Nonsense? I thought Andrew Jackson had sorted that crap out already.
    If you're going to give credit to a President for sorting it out, it would be Abraham Lincoln.

Really, though, the people who sorted it out were Grant and Sherman. I'd be happy to have a repeat, if the South is up for it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Eh, it was more of a population/industrial capacity thing. Grant simply threw wave after wave of union soldiers at the rebels until they reached their pre-set kill limit and shut down.

dojango on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    God damn it. The tactics and strategy were much more complicated than that.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.