As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PLANETSIDE II] - Stupid Sexy Vanu [~LAUNCH IN 1 DAY~]

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I played, it seemed like gen drops were frowned upon by most of the community because they were more interested in extremely long battles where they could farm XP. Dropping a generator pissed people off more than anything.

...our outfit still did 'em anyway, because they were damn good at it. I got to tag along on a few of them and they had it down to a science. And let me tell you, when the outfit commander came on voice comm and gave you an order, you followed it because that man was serious business. He knew how to play though, I'll give him that.

citizen059 on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    citizen059 wrote: »
    When I played, it seemed like gen drops were frowned upon by most of the community because they were more interested in extremely long battles where they could farm XP. Dropping a generator pissed people off more than anything.

...our outfit still did 'em anyway, because they were damn good at it. I got to tag along on a few of them and they had it down to a science. And let me tell you, when the outfit commander came on voice comm and gave you an order, you followed it because that man was serious business. He knew how to play though, I'll give him that.

I think it was that destroying the generator at a contested base was frowned upon. Destroying a generator at an uncontested base for the purposes of cutting off access to a facility bonus were acceptable. However, they were rather frontloaded on the sheer boredom front, as you sat there for half an hour before enough people came along to give you a real fight.

It's really frustrating when the most effective strategies for games are also the most boring.

Garthor on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We got crap anytime we took one down, contested or not. It got to be pretty stupid after a while.

Because, you see, taking away vital resources from the enemy means you might gain an advantage over them and oh no our long drawn out stalemate might come to an end!

citizen059 on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah gen dropping always pissed people off, last time i played actually the guy got so pissed off at people yelling at him he dropped our gens, then i spent the next 45 mins as a max suit bolted down in front of the door to the generator so he would stop griefing us

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For those who missed it among the PS reminiscing. PS-Next screens (models anyway) are back on page 5.

I keep checking PSU for more screens, but.. nothing. What is SOE doing being so quiet about a game that is supposedly Q1/Q2?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    For those who missed it among the PS reminiscing. PS-Next screens (models anyway) are back on page 5.

I keep checking PSU for more screens, but.. nothing. What is SOE doing being so quiet about a game that is supposedly Q1/Q2?

I would prepare yourself for a delay. I bet that changes to 2012.

DrunkMc on
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The biggest problem with gen dropping at a contested base, where just spending another 2-10 minutes fighting to the spawn/cc was viable, is that you end up extremely vunerable to counter attack as your side cant easily hack out ams's. Ive retaken bases plenty of times by blowing up enemy ams and sealing off the path from the closest enemy base with a few tanks. Most people would be waiting around in the bases influence for the xp reward leaving few vehicles to defend them. Some bases like interlinks destroying the gen is all fine and dandy, but there was no reason to do so in the tech plant or amp stations where it was pretty damn easy to just secure the CC, then max crash the spawn room.

The bio lab was the worst designed base in the entire game... almost entirely indefensable. Although one of my most memorable fights was me running from our spawn up to the gen in a max suit resupplying everyone in the room. With enough adv meds in the room to keep everyone up and healed. It took them a long time to force us out of the gen room.

Draygo on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think one of my favorite memories was getting fed up with my teammates. We were exchanging bolt driver shots on a mountainside with some snipers down below and in the base under attack. I said screw it and bumrushed straight at them with a suppressor, somehow surviving and killing one. After that the suppressor became my go-to weapon for mobile combat on account of it's insane accuracy.

BlueDestiny on
    edited February 2011
    The suppressor was a great little weapon, I absolutely loved it.

citizen059 on
  • ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can't remember a game that I loved and hated so much at the same time as Planetside. This and Allegiance were my most played games for a long time.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    I had a great love/hate relationship with my Lasher... exacerbated by certain patches.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    citizen059 wrote: »
    The suppressor was a great little weapon, I absolutely loved it.

Yesssss.

Especially since almost everyone's reaction upon seeing it was "...wait, are you using a Suppressor? Seriously?"

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Suppressor and punisher were like my two favorite weapons since I never really got the hang of the MCG or Lasher. Unless I got my hands on a Gauss Rifle though, that thing was nuts. Or a phoenix. Or a Jackhammer. Or anything the NC had.

BlueDestiny on
    edited February 2011
    I got pro at sniping infantry with the Lancer. Course it was great for vehicles too, but I liked the flexibility.

Vanu all the way.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited February 2011
    i gave up on infantry weapons altogether, i just carry my glue gun and drive a magrider, i am pretty close to my vehicle citation rank 3:) (1000 mans ran over)

TheKoolEagle on
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While being back hacked is annoying (or losing a gen at an uncontested base), it is an important part of the game. Being able to split the enemies forces, or cut off vital supplies (the only way to really do this in PS was blowing a gen at a tech plant or between a tech plant and the target base) is important to winning a war. Not to mention it helps keep the largest population force in check.

If you have 50% vanu, 30% TR , 20% NC the only shot the other sides have is to split the larger force. Even then the smallest force couldnt do much besides harass the largest.

Also bots are out of place in this game as well, you don't want to get backhacked? get an outfit and fly to a base that gets hit rather then sit up in the main battle the entire time.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bots might be out of place; but you can do bots without having bots. Intelligent automated defenses would be fine for the setting and would prevent small-scale back hacking enough but wouldn't (shouldn't) be reliable enough to have any meaningful effect on any medium/large scale battles.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited February 2011
    Witchdr wrote: »
    While being back hacked is annoying (or losing a gen at an uncontested base), it is an important part of the game. Being able to split the enemies forces, or cut off vital supplies (the only way to really do this in PS was blowing a gen at a tech plant or between a tech plant and the target base) is important to winning a war. Not to mention it helps keep the largest population force in check.

If you have 50% vanu, 30% TR , 20% NC the only shot the other sides have is to split the larger force. Even then the smallest force couldnt do much besides harass the largest.

Also bots are out of place in this game as well, you don't want to get backhacked? get an outfit and fly to a base that gets hit rather then sit up in the main battle the entire time.

How about a light NPC "guard" force at every base your faction owns, but they don't respawn like regular players do.

The guards are spawned when you take the base, and when an opposing force kills them they are gone.

Your options to reinforce:

1. They reappear when you re-take the base, assuming you've lost it to the invading force.
    2. If they're killed by someone back-hacking/gen-dropping but you don't lose the base, then you have to reinforce by bringing new guards from your home area via a troop transport vehicle. Sort of like the nanite transport process, but you're bringing in troops.

citizen059 on
    edited February 2011
    Maybe have engineers able to deploy mobile automated sentries in a base. In any case all defenses of a base should be configurable by players, as well as destroyed\hacked by players.

Draygo on
    edited February 2011
    Draygo wrote: »
    Maybe have engineers able to deploy mobile automated sentries in a base. In any case all defenses of a base should be configurable by players, as well as destroyed\hacked by players.

its always good fun to be in a totally different place and see a kill light up with experience from a mine going off

TheKoolEagle on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It wouldn't be a bad idea for the engineers to beable to upgrade base turrets to a higher caliber shot / missle turret. Though obviously those upgrades would take up a large portion of their inventory so that they can run around loaded to the hilt.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited February 2011
    Draeven wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a bad idea for the engineers to beable to upgrade base turrets to a higher caliber shot / missle turret. Though obviously those upgrades would take up a large portion of their inventory so that they can run around loaded to the hilt.

They already can in planetside (1). So I dont see why they will leave this out in planetside 2.

Draygo on
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My only real hope for PS Next is that they redo the lattice "structuring" to account for towers, bridges and other tactical positions to take strategic bases without the need to blow the generators. Also, those saran wrap shields were retarded. That was another change that seriously neutered strategy.

Planetside did a lot of stuff right, but the games "flow" was the primary issue since every fight felt like it happened in a base, a tower, or somewhere between them. A lot of this would have to do with map structure and possibly heavily nerfing the air game compared to PS1 where everyone I knew had a Mossy cert to get around.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In PS1 the base towers would auto-fire at enemy vehicles and engineers could leave turrets and mines behind in important bases. That was the benefit of taking eng2.

JacksWastedLife on
    edited February 2011
    the small turrets are ok, im talknig about actualy upgrading the base turrets that other people coudl get into and fire. Obviously you would need to put a ammo level etc etc to leave out exploitations.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Simple bot guards set to run patrols throughout the base would be a nice touch. I'm not talking anything too fancy, but getting a base atmosphere right is nice.

Say what you will about Tabula Rasa, but they had some nice military atmosphere going on.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Simple bot guards set to run patrols throughout the base would be a nice touch. I'm not talking anything too fancy, but getting a base atmosphere right is nice.

Say what you will about Tabula Rasa, but they had some nice military atmosphere going on.

i would like to see the daoc frontier system more implemented, where a platoon or whatever they call the guilds could be the owners and apply base upgrades such as guards and their weapons/armor/skill

although it would be super sweet if you could throw in a bit a savage and let a base commander type person to do a little base building and put up defenses

TheKoolEagle on
    edited February 2011
    Draeven wrote: »
    the small turrets are ok, im talknig about actualy upgrading the base turrets that other people coudl get into and fire. Obviously you would need to put a ammo level etc etc to leave out exploitations.

Did you miss my post.

I'm pretty sure they wont be leaving this feature out in Next, considering it already exists in planetside.

Currently you can upgrade base turrets to either rocket or flak turrets.

In planetside they call 'clans\guilds' outfits.

Draygo on
    edited February 2011
    Oh, well sorry i haven't played in a long long time and don't remember it being a feature.

Draeven on

edited February 2011
    Bit of a tangent, but for those who might be interested:

Mars War is an "Engrish" version of Welkin 4591, which is of course the Chinese knockoff of PS. It's been discussed over in the free MMO thread and I've put a few days into it.

It's worth a look if you're an ex-PS player looking for that style of play but not really wanting to pay for PS. There are only two factions instead of three and the battles take place on smaller scale maps, but it's got the feel of PS without the BFR's.

But, my goodness, it seriously needs players who know what they're doing. I'm finding a lot of the population consists of people who haven't played PS so there's a lot of "what do you mean repair a blown gen what's a gen I just want to shoot mans and hey why I cant respawn at base anymore".

citizen059 on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

It's a shame TR died. I really enjoyed the game and saw how much better it could have been with a little refinement. The military atmosphere was one of the best parts of the game.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited February 2011
    god i am such an mmo whore, I have been contemplating renewing my planetside account to go shoot mans

TheKoolEagle on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sure they still have free trials still if you just wanted to pop in and kill some mans without paying.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited February 2011
    Free trials were removed a while ago because the game was completely infested with hackers. I renewed my account yesterday and there were 3 or 4 big battles going on across a few continents until late in the evening. Now might be a good time to resub especially as the hype builds for PSN.

I think they're gonna let current subscribers into the upcoming beta or something too.

BlueDestiny on
    edited February 2011
    Having good times with Planetside again. Driving around blowing up infantry in a Lightning will never get old I think.

BlueDestiny on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Huh, I thought about re-activating to play some PS again, then I realized I never actually bought the game. Only ever played it during the beta and free trial periods.

Morkath on
    edited February 2011
    I think the game doesn't require a purchase anymore. In other news reavers can go die in a fire.

BlueDestiny on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    If it doesn't they are being shady about it and still linking to the $30 (really after this long?) d2d version.

Morkath on
    edited February 2011
    I don't think i've ever seen anything announcing the game itself was free, but yeah $30 is kind of ridiculous at this point for the game, but then again it is soe, and they never make anything free.

TheKoolEagle on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SOE has some kinda Steam-lite-esque thing you can download for all their games. I used to use that to download PS and Vanguard, I'll dig around and see if I can find a link.

Edit: Here it is, the Station Launcher, http://launcher.station.sony.com/

That should let you download it if you have subscriibed to PS before in some fashion.

Yoshua on
This discussion has been closed.