As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead Island] Please post in new thread

• Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While I'm relatively indifferent about the game itself.

That trailer was fantastic

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    Very pumped for this game, it's a must buy for me even if it's a semi-competant serious zombie game. I love games where you have to scratch out survival, make every bullet/weapon count. Same reason I enjoyed the first half of Fallout, but once I had armour, tons of guns and ammo the game lost all appeal to me.

I want a challenge. I want to stumble into a shed at dusk with a dented shovel and survive the night while 5 or 6 zombies are sluggishly walking around outside, hoping they don't get the scent. And limited saves. I WANT TERROR :)

I want this with an option to team up with survivors. Work together and try to build some sort of haven. Slowly trying to make some kind of safe zone. Kinda like what the survivors attempted in The Walking Dead.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arasen wrote: »
    Very pumped for this game, it's a must buy for me even if it's a semi-competant serious zombie game. I love games where you have to scratch out survival, make every bullet/weapon count. Same reason I enjoyed the first half of Fallout, but once I had armour, tons of guns and ammo the game lost all appeal to me.

I want a challenge. I want to stumble into a shed at dusk with a dented shovel and survive the night while 5 or 6 zombies are sluggishly walking around outside, hoping they don't get the scent. And limited saves. I WANT TERROR :)

I want this with an option to team up with survivors. Work together and try to build some sort of haven. Slowly trying to make some kind of safe zone. Kinda like what the survivors attempted in The Walking Dead.

I hate NPCs and a game that requires me to keep their idiot asses alive.
    If there is an option i'd prefer to build a safe haven for myself and use the idiot survivors to draw away the zed heads.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really found the entire trailer to be in the uncanny valley.

I didn't think it was at all emotional or interesting. Characters I didn't care about having bad things happen to them because of zombies. Maybe if I hadn't seen this kind of stuff a million times before.

Game could be fun, though. Zombie games are always a guilty pleasure. If they try too hard to make it horror-y it'll probably fail.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »

If there is an option i'd prefer to build a safe haven for myself and use the idiot survivors to draw away the zed heads.

Just to spite you, I'm going to wish for a game in which the NPCs are more competent than you are, so that you're forced to rely on them to keep your ass alive.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Just to spite you, I'm going to wish for a game in which the NPCs are more competent than you are, so that you're forced to rely on them to keep your ass alive.

So you're wishing for a sequel to Black Ops?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »

So you're wishing for a sequel to Black Ops?

Would that spite you more or less?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    fantastic trailer, count me in

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That trailer was freakin' great (Scottish accent)

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will there be barricading? And do the zombies sprint?

Regarding barricading; I see it as a sorely missed opportunity in the majority of zombie games; building defenses, however crude, is a staple of zombie movies... and games never deliver in this regard. While you block zombies with stuff in Dead Rising, it's not fortifications in the sense of hammering doors shut etc.

As for zombie sprinting - I know it's great for action games, but I love the slow ponderous dread of this shuffling, shambling crowd. They don't hurry because they don't have to. That's more scary than any sprinting freak.

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Being able to move shit around to create barricades and stuff ala Penumbra would be amazing, not to mention that could be a great component of co-op play, like holing up in a kitchen or something and one dude has to keep the door shut while the other three work to get the cabinets and the fridge and whatnot over to the door to secure it properly.

EDIT: To say nothing of the dickish potential uses of Penubmra-style interaction. Need to get down some stairs, but a huge mob is milling around there? Chuck the corpse of one freshly-deceased team member over the ledge and sneak on by while the zombies chow down. Chuck the body of a still-living team member over the ledge if you're particularly inclined. Or heck, use the physics as a way of DEALING with the zombies: if you're at a construction site or something, start grabbing cunderblocks and dropping them over the crowds like the french dudes in that one Zombie Survival Guide story..

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Being able to move shit around to create barricades and stuff ala Penumbra would be amazing, not to mention that could be a great component of co-op play, like holing up in a kitchen or something and one dude has to keep the door shut while the other three work to get the cabinets and the fridge and whatnot over to the door to secure it properly.

I like this tack, the cut of your jib, and other assorted homoerotic sailing metaphors! :^:

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

This would be a cool option but I would love it both ways. Again, borrowing wisdom from the Zombie Survival Guide, in the event of a class 4 outbreak (world is basically effed) zombies are not the only ones that are dangerous. Other humans, whether they be theives, mauraders, or simply another barricaded colony pose a huge threat as it's now basically boiled down to a kill or be killed mentality.

Why would an established safe area let another mouth to feed into their group? Unless you have something to offer - protection, weapon source, knowledge.

So if they have the option to team up with survivours, I would hope it goes both ways because not all people are willing and trusting, especially in this setting. The actual Walking Dead comic book series sums up this feeling just perfectly imo. More cutthroat, backstabbing, using people till you've got what you want them you cut them loose...

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All of this barricading stuff would be so so so awesome!

But is any of it actually confirmed or are we just speculating?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

Total speculation - we are moreso talking about what should this game if we are getting a true serious zombie survival experience. :winky:

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What physics engine are they using? Sorenson's ideas have my imagination firing on all cylinders.

Speaking of which, grabbing a fire extinguisher and using it to bob zombies on the head would be awesome!

EDIT: I'm one of the converted who would probably enjoy a Class 4 outbreak, Fragg! :D

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Total speculation - we are moreso talking about what should this game if we are getting a true serious zombie survival experience. :winky:

One of the older screenshots from 2008 showed the player throwing furniture at zombies. We can only hope that we'll be able to use it to barricade doors, too. At the very least, if you run out of things to hit zombies with, we might be able to grab everything but the kitchen sink to kill them or slow them down.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Sounds awesome! In that case, I want basically what Day By Day Armageddon and World War Z would make if they had a big ol' zombie baby.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tell me more about Day By Day Armageddon, please

Jintor on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's a video of the actual game from 2007
    Human factions! Bandits!

It sounds like everything we want and more. The Condemned style melee looks fantastic.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit that trailer.

That was powerful stuff. Like, i have no idea how the game could have me that emotionally engaged at all.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Being impressed wth the trailer is all well and good (I love it)

But people should keep perspective.

A fantastic trailer has been made. But the final game will more than likely be nothing like that.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That don't mean we can't be all

Cool trailer dudes

But yes, you're right. My expectations are low. But I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

Basic outline: Guy does an awesome job of keeping his head cool while the zombie apocalypse goes down. It is told as if he is writing in a diary, so you get "updates" every other day or week or a couple times a day, depending on what is happening.

It is awesome, go pick it up. I haven't read the sequel yet, but it is next on my list.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No I aree.

I love the trailer.

But some folk are like "Sold!" or "This game will actually have deeply emotional aspects!"

It probably won't.

[EDIT]

Basic outline: Guy does an awesome job of keeping his head cool while the zombie apocalypse goes down. It is told as if he is writing in a diary, so you get "updates" every other day or week or a couple times a day, depending on what is happening.

It is awesome, go pick it up. I haven't read the sequel yet, but it is next on my list.

I am going to pick this up now.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Day By Day was great. Anyone that loves Zombie novels, I implore you to read Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain and its sequel Thunder and Ashes. Two of the absolute best zombie books I've ever read, especially the sequel. I've never had books get my adrenaline going before...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I've been hearing about this game a lot recently.

I just watched that trailer. Damn. I figured it was suppose to be a funny game.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No I aree.

I love the trailer.

But some folk are like "Sold!" or "This game will actually have deeply emotional aspects!"

It probably won't.

[EDIT]

I am going to pick this up now.

Not soon enough. Get it yesterday.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I read some of DbD, did it ever get published in the UK?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Worst part of the trailer is the images of the happy family together at the end.

And by worst, I mean holy shit that's sad.

Really well done.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Apparently

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So they talk about weapons degrading over time/use. I really hope they handle this carefully. Swinging a fire ax over and over again might slowly dull it over time but it will still make one hell of a bludgeoning device. Also, 4 player survival co-op? Man can you imagine? Trying to survive while one by one your teammates are killed. Would really make trying to survive as a player that much more important (stupid respawns ruining games).

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Worst part of the trailer is the images of the happy family together at the end.

And by worst, I mean holy shit that's sad.

Really well done.

Ya, up until about then it was neat and artistic, then it was raw and rather emotional.

Honestly, it had a bit of the Trainspotting vibe of just absolute sadness and shatteredness.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sold because it's a zombie game... I don't know about anyone else. The trailer was just a bonus.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm sold because it's a zombie game... I don't know about anyone else. The trailer was just a bonus.

My thoughts exactly - trailer was just an excuse to start talking about zombies <3

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm really interested. The idea of a sandbox zombie survival game with A-Team/McGuyver elements sounds like a ball. If it gets anywhere near a STALKER style feel for an authentic location, it's getting bumped up from interested to hell yeah. I'd like to see Techland do something fantastic. I'm fond of their Chrome first person shooters, even though they aren't anything super special.

Drake on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    I'm really interested. The idea of a sandbox zombie survival game with A-Team/McGuyver elements sounds like a ball. If it gets anywhere near a STALKER style feel for an authentic location, it's getting bumped up from interested to hell yeah. I'd like to see Techland do something fantastic. I'm fond of their Chrome first person shooters, even though they aren't anything super special.

If this is anything like STALKER with zombies on a tropical island I would buy 10. I feel like this won't be the case though.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Apparently

Bought, hard. Thanks :^:

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    OHGROHGR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i really like the look of this...seems like it could be a more "realistic" zombie game (not that i think zombie games should be terribly realistic...zombies, after all). just that you aren't constantly finding military weapons and grenade launchers at the mall and such.

still, how many times has there been a great trailer for a shitty game? more info is definitely needed about this game

OHGR on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OHGR wrote: »
    i really like the look of this...seems like it could be a more "realistic" zombie game (not that i think zombie games should be terribly realistic...zombies, after all). just that you aren't constantly finding military weapons and grenade launchers at the mall and such.

still, how many times has there been a great trailer for a shitty game? more info is definitely needed about this game

I can't figure out what games have had a good trailer, but the game ended up being shitty. Could someone inform me?

urahonky on
This discussion has been closed.