As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tiny mp3 players for gym use

CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So i'd like to get an mp3 player to take to gym, but i dont really know a great deal about them anymore. I have an oldschool 20gig ipod, which was good but is completely unsuitable what with the weight and size of the thing. I havent used it in probably 2 years now, because i have no place i would ever want that much portable music currently.

I've had a look at the current ipod shuffles, which to be honest is quite appealling. The size and weight is fantastic. I dont need a screen, because i will be semi-occupied with working out anyway. I know & like itunes, which is another bonus for me. Plus i know it will be at worst, acceptable, as i've used the older ipod shuffles before. The only thing it lacks is an FM tuner, which would be really good because typically when i'm at gym theres a good radio program on that i could listen to. Another compact mp3 player that looks interesting to me is the iriver s10, but i have no knowledge of what this player is like. Aside from that i didnt really see anything that grabbed my attention for being small, lightweight, yet seemed of quality construction.

My criteria arent particularly high. I just want something that isnt going to fall apart or die in 2 months, and it has to be small & lightweight as i will ONLY be using this for gym. I have no other need for portable music as i have my old ipod and my PSP if it was ever an issue. I'm not an audiophile, so i dont need a high-end audio experience. I just want some background music, or to listen to a radio program if possible :). Having said that, if a player is good EXCEPT the pack in headphones are truly woeful, then obviously this is easy to fix with a new set. As for storage capacity, 1gig would be fine i think. Actually only need it to store at least 2hrs of listening. Price is not particularly a concern (within reason :) ) i'd spend more for something that will be easy to use and will last.

tl:dr - I need a tiny, light mp3 player for gym. Recommendations?

Cryogen on

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd watch the rest of the woot-off www.woot.com they have had a few 2gb or so for $50 or so mp3 players. If you're looking for a deal I'd watch that site for a while, the mp3 players normally don't fly off the site either so check it every once in a while.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seriously, the Shuffle is fantastic - I bring it to school everyday, and it's definitely replaced my Video iPod in my pocket (actually clipped to the outside, freeing up pocket space, and great for gym wear that has no pockets), but if you want FM Tuner functionality, check out the Sandisk Sansa M240.

Very cheap, drag and drop loading, FM receiver. Bad things? Alkaline batteries, awkward shape.

Alpine on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If I'm doing weights? The Shuffle is great, doesn't get in the way, no screen to break and the built in clip is a bloody godsend.

When I'm running? iPod Nano with Nike+. The sport mixes are motivating, and I run a few competitions with friends and folks from work.

Everything else that I've looked at either has ass software or some pain in the neck hardware feature. I think you can add an FM tuner to the Nano with the FM tuner remote.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The sony player there looks pretty cool, xraydog. I'm wary of what their software is like now though, because their old software was really, really bad. To be fair, this was when they were still trying to push minidisc against 1st gen ipods so i'm sure its had time to develop since then.

So far i think i'm still probably leaning towards the shuffle. Threepio i hadnt seen an FM remote... is it first party? I might have to investigate this new development.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    CloggerdudeCloggerdude __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    The Sony one he listed really is a nice mp3 player. It evens keeps track of calories somehow, although it's probably not implemented very well. If you're interested in it, Circuit City has the 2 gig on sale for $59.99 this week, which is a really good deal.

I have an Orange Shuffle myself and I love it. It's perfect for running, working out, or just walking around school. Someone will probably mention the new player Creative has out, the Stone, mostly because it retails for $39.99, which is half the price of the shuffle. Personally, I would rather have the Shuffle, since they seem to be made a lot better. The Stone is just way too plastic feeling for my tastes.

Cloggerdude on
    Pokemon D/P Friend Code: 0902 9213 7501
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's true, the shuffle is a tank. I've dropped it while running and kicked it clear across the road, and a few scuffs are all it has to show for it.

People come into my store asking for cases for them and I just tell them to not waste their money. It's aluminum, no screen, and solid state. You've gotta be unlucky as hell to break it. Even the clip feels really solid.

Alpine on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Like Cloggerdude just mentioned, there is that new Creative Stone.

I'm going to pick one of those up soon, specifically for the gym.

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenstone/

3358504x.jpg

Just £28. Sweet.

Although, those iPod Shuffle Clip things look awesome, I'd like one of those maybe. Double the price though.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ok I would go with a shuffle as well, but get an OLD style 1 gb! they dont need a dock and double as a great memory stick. I love mine, and it even survived the washing mashine with all data still intact. They come pretty cheap now too.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Sony is absolutely brilliant. It's not fancy or anything special as far as MP3 players go, but it is designed for sport - and does it very well.

Comes with the arm band, and clip-over earphones that won't fall out when you run. The distance and calorie counter work based on your weight, height and stride length, and so far has proven pretty accurate to me, anywhere from a 4km run up to a 16km (10 mile) run.

It has a screen to see what your results are/music etc, and play modes including playing designated play lists depending on your running pace. Designate slow songs for easing off, faster songs for picking up the pace, and it reacts accordingly, and accurately.

It's moisture resistant, so you can be sweating like a rapist and not worry about the thing getting fucked up.

The Sonicstage software it comes with isn't that great, but it's not a turn off or deal breaker. It's just a poor man's iTunes. Importantly though, it's not invasive of your system or library either.

It just works beautifully for sport, and it's never in the way, which is the most important thing whether running or in the gym pushing weights. I get about 14 hours a week training in, mostly weight training, and some running, and so far this has been the most practical MP3 player for that purpose.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm all about the Apple, as always. Very happy with my iPod nano with Nike+, using LaceLid to avoid using Nike shoes.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Being powered by standard batteries isnt a bad thing though, especially when you run out of juice out in the open.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    iRiver-s10.jpg

I'm surprised the iRiver S10 hasn't been mentioned yet. It's 2GB, small as a Shuffle, has a color OLED display, FM tuner and supports OGG format.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    In my experience, if you can't get a strap to secure it to your arm, it's a total pain in the ass to do any serious exercise/training with. Hanging loosely round the neck is awkward, gets in the way, and uncomfortable.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I mentioned the iriver s10 in my OP :). That and the shuffle are what i've seen in person so far, and while i know the shuffle will be good quality i have no idea what the quality of the s10 will be like. I've never had an iriver or known anyone that has. Have you used one? I'd love to hear more about it because it does seem a reasonable option. I've handled an unpowered demo unit, but it was attached to a wall by those security bungee cords, and the shop assistant was a real dick when the alarm went off while i was looking at it so i left.

I'm definately going to check out the sony, sounds like theres some positive experiences there. I'm liking the support of the shuffle though, and since i already use itunes and my whole library is on it, that makes things easier for me.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    iRiver only make quality players.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CloggerdudeCloggerdude __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Cryogen wrote: »
    I'm definately going to check out the sony, sounds like theres some positive experiences there. I'm liking the support of the shuffle though, and since i already use itunes and my whole library is on it, that makes things easier for me.

That's the big thing right there man. While it's true that Sony's SonicStage software isn't as bad as people make it out to be, it certainly isn't as good as iTunes. Having all your music already set up makes things even sweeter.

I would at least check out the Sony before you decide. If you go by a Circuit City, they should have both the Shuffle and the Sony on display. They'll be tied down, but at least you can play with them a little.

Cloggerdude on
    Pokemon D/P Friend Code: 0902 9213 7501
  • Options
    DavidBlaineDavidBlaine ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Does anyone know of any waterproof tiny MP3 players?

DavidBlaine on
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

There's the SwiMp3.

Or you can get an OtterBox for your iPod and some of their waterproof headphones.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The FM tuner is first party from Apple, but it's Nano/Video only - no shuffuffle.

Hey Apo - if you've got Nike+, wanna race? :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fristle wrote: »

There's the SwiMp3.

Or you can get an OtterBox for your iPod and some of their waterproof headphones.

Man they JUST had on on the woot-off last night too.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So i'm at a shop at the moment looking at the sony... in australia its selling for AUD$249 (for the 1gb mind you).... the US website linked earlier in this thread has the 2gb for USD$89.95.... exchange rate at the moment is about .8150, you dont need to be a maths whiz to see we're getting shafted on this :)

I think i'll get a shuffle... thanks all for advice in the thread.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cryogen wrote: »
    I mentioned the iriver s10 in my OP :) Have you used one?

I use a H300 for the gym, it's massively clunky but I find if I pop it in my shorts (no jokes) and trail a wire under the t-shirt I have absolutely no problem with it. The inline remote is handy too. Running wise, the treadmills I use have a little pocket for mp3 players and the like, so I just plonk it in there so it's not bouncing about. (It'd be crap for ACTUAL running though).

As for iriver themselves, it's been a marvellous piece of kit, the sound quality is nothing short of excellent and the build quality is superb. My friend had one of the other smaller models (The H10 I think?) and he loved that too, no problems.

I'm running Rockbox on mine, but the original firmware had no real faults. I just love the gapless playback, dynamic playlists and the ability to play Doom on Rockbox :D

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    In New Zealand here that model sells for NZD$179. That's like $150 AU.

Or 3 beans and a sock in real money.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    End of a CenturyEnd of a Century Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just got me a shuffle two days ago, I love it. So convenient and (shame) stylish. I thought having to pick out my playlist for the day (I rarely listen to the same thing twice within a month) would be annoying but it's actually kind of fun, since I get to pick a theme. I wish it were firewire but meh.

End of a Century on
    Wii: 1238 6891 1706 8984.
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've been thinking more and more about the SanDisk Sansa 1GB because it has an SD card slot. I was thinking I could take the SD card out of my Wii (where I keep music for excite truck) then play it on the Sansa on the go. One (tiny) library across multiple platforms. Does anybody have one or can they offer impressions?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    http://www.dapreview.net/ is one to check out for this sort of thing. Personally I bought a cowon u3 (mostly for its ogg vorbis support) and its work out well for me.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I love my orange Shuffle. I got it a month ago with that free apple engraving. My only beef with it is there's no little LED screen.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]