As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pissed off with these idiots (On Hometowns and Why Yours Sucks)

republic of merepublic of me Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

Discussion?

These idiots have been relay annoying me lately.

Not least of all due to me being from Limerick originally (i'm from the county not the city, but still)

Fair enough the place is a shit hole but so is most of the even slightly urbanized Ireland (i'm biast being from the middle of the countryside miles from everywhere where i was happy, and now living in a town with asshole neighbors and unhappy)

And the fact that my neighbor and best friend who is a traveler http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Traveller and one of the few people around here i actually like, drives me mad singing "fuck your Mitsubishi i have a horse outside" her ethnic group is otherwise unimportant but just the fact that i have a Mitsubishi and she has a horse outside, i just felt the need to explain why she has a horse in a town its a cultural thing. Like me with my old over-sized 4x4 im a farmer... simple as... you can stick both of us in a town but we are what we are.
It was funny to begin with but it is annoying.

And to get back to the point what the hell kind of a message is that to send out about a place? the madness of limerick that is depicted here is isolated to one part of the city which is a tiny part of the city, the city is a tiny part of the land that is the county of limerick.

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huhu5sLG-l4

and these are the idiots that have become a national situation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYgZFm43ZN4&feature=related

yep i took their advice and i did f**k off to cork... its not any better and im here since October, in fact its worse

So what does this say about my home county? What is the opinion of people of other nations?

also on the other nations line this is also another comedy song written in limerick that makes us all look like the villagers in borat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfntzfaTv9Y

The only time this song was ever funny was when my friend who is a guitarist sang it directed at me but it was in context because he had a row with a non national lover of mine because i told him my friend was gay to avoid an ass kicking of massive proportions

Opinions?

republic of me on

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You seem really bitter about this; I'm trying to figure out why them being morons is so much worse then groups like Royal Canadian Air Farce (who are paid to rip on canada).

Gaddez on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man try being from Texas.

Quid on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Quid wrote: »

Or, god help you, anywhere in Appalachia.

Doc on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorry but

Horse Outside is brilliant.

I wish I still had my Horse Outside av/sig combo for this post.

adytum on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    These idiots have been relay annoying me lately.
    You, uh... you know they're satirists, right? You know "Horse Outside" is more complicated than "lol fuck cars my horse is amazing," right?
    Blindboy: "Anyone who's got a complaint about the video or the song, like your man Anthony there who's talkin' away... what he needs to do is someone needs to give that man a dictionary and he needs to look up the word 'irony.'"
    Interviewer: "Anthony?"
    Anthony: "... that's an absolute joke. Look, I..."
    Blindboy: "Exactly! It's an absolute joke, you put it right there yourself."
    Antony: "I mean, I'm all for humour et cetera, but what you're bringing in about children, and house parties, and drugs, and all that, it's a disgrace."
    Blindboy: "Alright, hold on a second now, right, OK. The line you're referring to, about children and house parties and drugs, right? Let me speak for one second, right? You're looking at it from a very denotative perspective, right? You're looking at it literally, as that line is the absolute truth. What's not being looked at is the subtext. What we're talking about here is a piece of art, right? It's a piece of music, and it's a video, right? So, first of all, the line that's coming out of the man's mouth, you need to look at that man. Look at the way he's talking, the way he's dressed, the way he's carrying on. Is he a reliable man? Do you think that drinking and drugging did him any harm? Look at him in the video! I'd say it did him quite a bit of harm. Second of all, directly after when he says that line, you want to look at the exact next shot in the video. Now, this is the subtext. It shows a man with a disapproving face. That's a directorial technique, it's part of the subtext, and it suggests to the viewer that this is frowned upon. In the very next scene, the man shakes his head in a disapproving fashion, discrediting the previous statement. It is not a statement promoting drug use with children or anything like that, it's actually quite the opposite."

There's more, if you're interested: .
    If the only thing your friend takes away from the video is "lol u drive a mitzi like in teh song and i have a horse so fuk u," I'd argue that that's a failure of understanding on your friend's part, not a failure of the song itself. Personally, I think it's a wicked little satire on modern Irish poverty and drug use, and the fact that they just won an IFTA suggests that plenty of other people are able to interpret the subtext of their work as well, instead of just seeing the literal meaning.

Kate of Lokys on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Sorry but

Yeah I really don't see why OP is so upset, that song was pretty funny.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Sorry but

Yeah I really don't see why OP is so upset, that song was pretty funny.

Hilarious, and catchy.

And being able to laugh at your hometown is, to me, healthy. It's not like I'm judging Limerick based on these videos, and neither is anybody else. At least nobody who isn't an idiot, and who gives a shit about them. But man, like others have said, a lot of places have it much worse. See: Detroit, Cleveland.

But thanks, 'cause now this shit'll be stuck in my head all week.

mcdermott on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What? That shit is funny.

Fuck yo' honda civic, I'va a horse outside!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, damn you for getting that song stuck in my head.

Again.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvkjewgF8GQ

FyreWulff on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why do they have those weird masks?

And every place is the butt of some kind of joke. Don't take it personally.

PolloDiablo on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My state produced 3OH!3. You don't have it so bad.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i dont know who that is, is it a band, am i old?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Doc wrote: »

Yeah I grew up in Alabama (the good part, not the part where people use industrial strength herbicide on a park because their team lost a football game). This is pretty mild.

a5ehren on
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

See?

People don't even try to be clever about it anymore!

Quid on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

See?

People don't even try to be clever about it anymore!

Well if we were subtle, Texans wouldn't get it!

The Muffin Man on
    edited February 2011
    *rabble rabble rabble*

So just watched the songs in the OP and I'm not seeing the problem.

Edit: Other than creepy bag faces.

Quid on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Seriously. Learn to take a joke, OP. This is some Whining Forum goosiness.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I remember seeing a Cracked.com article that hit the nail on the head with this one. Linked it in the spoiler, since it's kind of big.

For what it's worth, I thought the song was hilarious, but I still hate the OP for getting it stuck in my head for another month.
    Well, like any good piece of satire, there's more than one point. Sure, it's funny to laugh at our misguided protagonist who has the audacity to brag about having a horse instead of a car, but anyone who thinks the song is merely mocking the backward, horse-riding fools of Limerick, is missing the point. It's clear from the video, that this protagonist is our hero. Not only does he get the girl at the end and ride her off like a knight in shining armor, but he leads the entire congregation, including a seemingly kind-hearted priest, in the recitation of the chorus:

So what's going on here? Well, first of all. Limerick IS a depressed area. Apparently, you CAN see horses tied to trees there. So I'm not sure how a song acknowledging that is doing something unfair. More importantly, however, who are these three suitors who are driving these not so impressive cars? One look at the video makes pretty clear they're a bunch of thugs, perhaps managing to scrape together enough cash to afford their mediocre cars through thieving or drug dealing. Indeed, it's one of these creeps who proposes drug use in front of children at the start of the vid. Our protagonist leads the town in protest against them, seemingly saying, "Hey, we're all ghetto here. But at least I ride my horse proudly." After all, is bragging about a Mitsubishi really much more absurd than bragging about a horse?

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-satirists-attacked-by-people-who-totally-missed-point_p2

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I don't really...get where that video would stir any controversy, but I guess that shows my ignorance of goings-on in Ireland.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I honestly thought it was just an earnest song about how awesome horses are. Where I'm from horses are associated with badasses.

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    wait is ireland a country now?

who thought that was a good idea?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    wait is ireland a country now?

5/6 of it is.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the city I live in has a whole cable television series about how weird it is

you have some youtube videos that are actually kind of endearing

not seeing what the beef is

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seems to me like we've got a case of hometown hypersensitivity.

You see it all the time in the news. Some celebrity or politician makes a less-than-glowing comment about an area, and suddenly the papers are full of locals calling for their heads on a pole. Boris Johnson has suffered from this a few times.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only problem with Horse Outside is that it constantly gets played at every club here in Dublin. It's more annoying than Willow Smith and Taio Cruz combined.

Tav on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh hey, those guys.
    I'm from Limerick city. I don't have a problem with these guys, they're pretty funny.
    I don't view their act as parody or criticism of Limerick itself, more a parody of the stereotypical view people in the rest of the country have of the city.

Diarmuid on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Okay, so there was this time in the Air Force. This dude is all socially clumsy and whatnot and people were kind of being rude to him (because he was always snotty and awkward) and finally he goes, "AT LEAST I'M NOT A WHITE APPALACHIA!"

We still are not certain what he was getting at. But it probably has something to do with being from the Appalachia.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Probably just meant "AT LEAST I'M NOT A REDNECK" or something to that effect.

Don't get me wrong. There are a ton of backwards, stupid people around here. But there are those kinds of people anywhere if you just look around a little.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Okay, so there was this time in the Air Force. This dude is all socially clumsy and whatnot and people were kind of being rude to him (because he was always snotty and awkward) and finally he goes, "AT LEAST I'M NOT A WHITE APPALACHIA!"

We still are not certain what he was getting at. But it probably has something to do with being from the Appalachia.

When I was conscripted into the ROCA a few years back and served out my time, I would get mocked relentlessly for my background. Not because I was mixed (well, maybe a bit for that), or even because I'd lived in the United States, but because I'd lived in the southern United States, specifically, Georgia.

I probably contributed to that by explaining to everyone how to make jokes referencing things like Deliverance and whatnot.

Synthesis on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    This is now the official Make Fun of Your Hometown/area thread.

I am from California. We elect stupid people for stupid reasons and go bankrupt as a sort of hobby.

Specifically, I come from Salinas, which I guess is awesome if you really like lettuce and rodeos. Alas, I don't.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am from Florida. We're the only state with our own Fark tag.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ooh I want to play. I'm from Kansas!

Famous things from Kansas include, in roughly this order:

Dumbass farmers
    Fred "god hates fags" phelps
    The Wizard of Oz
    Abortion doctor threats/murders
    The rock band Kansas

Zed, am I missing anything?

edit- what am thinking? Evolution! Or rather, the absense of it. Also the absense of liquor for like 40 years after the rest of the country repealed prohibition.

Pi-r8 on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Two reasons my home town sucked.

Populated by Mormons.

Cross burnings. (not joking)

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Iowans can't drive. Also we call them Iowegians.

Nebraskans also can't drive because half of Omaha plates their cars in Iowa to avoid the wheel tax.

FyreWulff on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I am from California. We elect stupid people for stupid reasons and go bankrupt as a sort of hobby.

Truer words were ne'er spoken.

I come from the foothills east of Sacramento, and we have a few things:

1. Wildland Fires
    2. Overwhelmingly white, conservative population
    3. Wildland Fires

During the Prop 8 nonsense, my hometown was a sea of yellow "Yes on 8" signs.

It was depressing.

Havelock on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Seattle. I kind of am happy with how we're portrayed.

We have some idiots who hop on any issue being protested as a grindstone for their own.

Just recently there was a case where a cop shot and killed a native american woodcarver that was walking down the street with a knife, after the guy didn't drop it when commanded. There were something like 4 seconds between the first command and shots fired, and he didn't make any movements towards the officer. It wasn't justified, but due to the extreme difficulties in criminally prosecuting officers, no charges were filed. He was about to be fired from SPD when he quit.

So there's a protest about this. Then people start shouting into loudspeakers about Iraq. Then the "anarchists" show up.

Doc on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Havelock wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Truer words were ne'er spoken.

I come from the foothills east of Sacramento, and we have a few things:

1. Wildland Fires
    2. Overwhelmingly white, conservative population
    3. Wildland Fires

Man you'd think 1 would do something about 2.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm from Southern Maryland =(

Xaquin on