As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Level 20's on] - Guys don't flirt with my sister please - Guild Wars

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People were bad.

Like...really, really bad.

Xagar on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We were talking about a time when:
    Warriors often carried Meteor Shower, Mending (on self),or Minions, since Sever Artery/Gash/Final Thrust were all Adrenaline-based, and would often Heal Sig Frenzy.
    Necros would use flurry with a sword to trigger mark of pain (personally guilty here)
    No pub had a mesmer or ranger
    Orison of Healing was the staple healing spell, nobody protted, and the lack of monks would mean a lot of groups would just forgo them (Mesmers ended up finding a niche as healers)
    People would carry charm animal with 0 beast mastery just because having a level 5 pet was cool
    Pulling was unheard of, since mobs are pretty far apart except for a few missions
    Elites had to be capped by activating your signet of capture when the Boss uses the skill. If your team killed it too quickly, it might not cast it at all. If you were a healer, you had to constantly look at the Boss's skill activation bar while healing, weren't able to heal in the 3 seconds it took to activate the sig, and some skills were only used conditionally (like needing a condition-heavy team to get the boss to use Martyr). If you were a Warrior or Ranger, best of luck trying to capture a stance, since stances didn't show up in the activation bar back then. While this lead to some hilarious moments, it was usually just more frustrating

Serious_Scrub on
  • LionLion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thirsty River and Thunderhead Keep used to be idiot traps.

I freely admit to monking for these groups to improve my own skills.

EDIT: Also joining Mesmer lead groups just because people hated Mesmers way back.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love GW, but when I get my HoM to 25 that's it. "Ascendant" is awesome. Prophecies nostalgia ftw. (Flameseeker would be awesome but seriously, to hell with that)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warriors often carried Meteor Shower, Mending (on self),or Minions, since Sever Artery/Gash/Final Thrust were all Adrenaline-based, and would often Heal Sig Frenzy.
    Necros would use flurry with a sword to trigger mark of pain (personally guilty here)
    Orison of Healing was the staple healing spell, nobody protted, and the lack of monks would mean a lot of groups would just forgo them (Mesmers ended up finding a niche as healers)
    People would carry charm animal with 0 beast mastery just because having a level 5 pet was cool
    Pulling was unheard of, since mobs are pretty far apart except for a few missions
    Elites had to be capped by activating your signet of capture when the Boss uses the skill. If your team killed it too quickly, it might not cast it at all. If you were a healer, you had to constantly look at the Boss's skill activation bar while healing, weren't able to heal in the 3 seconds it took to activate the sig, and some skills were only used conditionally (like needing a condition-heavy team to get the boss to use Martyr). If you were a Warrior or Ranger, best of luck trying to capture a stance, since stances didn't show up in the activation bar back then. While this lead to some hilarious moments, it was usually just more frustrating

Seriously, playing a ranger without a guild was a pain in the ass in the early days. By the time I got to the Ring of Fire, nobody wanted me unless I was running a particular barrage build. And even then it was like they were doing me a favor by letting me tag along.

chasehatesbears on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Seriously, playing a ranger without a guild was a pain in the ass in the early days. By the time I got to the Ring of Fire, nobody wanted me unless I was running a particular barrage build. And even then it was like they were doing me a favor by letting me tag along.

It's almost like you're playing now, and don't have a build that's on pvxwiki.

:/

I always wondered back in the day why I didn't see rangers or mesmers more often though.

Rend on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    I love GW, but when I get my HoM to 25 that's it. "Ascendant" is awesome. Prophecies nostalgia ftw. (Flameseeker would be awesome but seriously, to hell with that)

Not going for 30? That seems to be what most people are going for since that's the limit for the items. I'm going for 50/50... though I'm not sure if I have the time or will to get that far.

Geod on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've decided not to worry about points anymore (I'm at 30/50) but instead go for the GWAMM title

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't be able to stand vanquishing, so 50/50 is out of the question for me. I like the name Legend of the Mists more than Champion of the Gods, so perhaps 45/50 would be as far as I'm willing to go

Serious_Scrub on
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Haha, yeah. Lion first learned to monk as a mesmer in those desert missions. Those days were crazy.

Jenosavel on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    haha I remember those W/Mo Mending days

and the days where you had to use the cap sig right when the skill was being activated... imagine trying to cap Psychic Instability back then <.<

I actually posted some pictures from the beta that I found sitting in my photobucket... man this game has evolved since its original form, moreso than in the obvious ways, and that's a good thing

Vivixenne on
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Although I have some 20s, is anyone still interested in levelling up some new characters?

Also, Geod, can you toss an invite to Valentin de Sevilla?

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited February 2011
    Although I have some 20s, is anyone still interested in levelling up some new characters?

Also, Geod, can you toss an invite to Valentin de Sevilla?

Indeed I can! Invited :)

I think there's people that are leveling up, but I don't quite know who. Generally people will help you out if you need any too :)

Geod on
  • Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hows Nightfall and EOTN?

I managed to get my account back and with my friends hyping up GW2 I want to play GW again for a bit. I'm considering maybe starting a new character if the new areas are more populated.

I remember quitting due to not being able to finish the last mission on Cantha? I'm aware that GW2 won't be coming out for a while and I never managed to get into any other MMO-type games like I did with GW.

Reasonable Hobo on
    edited February 2011
    Nightfall and EotN are the two best aspects of GW1

Vivixenne on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally got my Ritualist over to Kaineng Center and I'm happy at how much things open up at that point. Picked up M.O.X. and then did the preliminary EOTN quest to pick up Vekk and Ogden and open the Hall of Monuments. I figure now that I've picked up some heroes I'll go back to the Factions campaign.

Also holy shit, I knew Vekk sounded familiar, but I didn't know it was Maurice LaMarche.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to focus on improvement-wise on my R/Me? I've been working on getting a set of the top armour, but I'm struggling a bit with what build to run with in missions. Most of the builds on PvX focus on high-end performance with elite skills, and I'm still working my way through the campaign.

Entriech on
    edited February 2011
    don't worry about your build too much early on

for Rangers, bring 3 attacks, 1 interrupt, 1 preparation, 1 stance, 1 self-heal or support skill, and a res

or you can bring a pet, where your preparation becomes a pet attack instead

you can also bring just 1 attack and 3 interrupts instead

Vivixenne on
    edited February 2011
    Don't be afraid to use switch up the number of attack skills vs interrupts, depending on what you're running into at the time. It's a game of damage vs enemy shutdown. If you're decent with your reflexes, having 2 interrupts on your bar can really screw over enemy casters. Especially if one of those interrupts is Distracting Shot.

I usually run Distracting Shot and Savage Shot. Savage has a quick recharge that makes it great for taking down enemy power spells like Meteor Shower or Chain Lightning, it's almost certain it will be recharged in time to take them down, since their cast time is nearly as long as its recharge. Distracting Shot can then be saved for the shorter recharge enemy skills that you really wish they'd stop using.

I run those two skills so often, and in the same spot on my bar, that when I play anything without it I still instinctively hit those buttons when I see certain skills going off... It's a real problem when I try to monk. :?

Jenosavel on
    edited February 2011
    So I'm kind of actually an idiot, and should have written that I'm actually a Rt/Me not a R/Me. I keep forgetting there's a Ranger in this game. Did a bit of research and I'm going to go with a build centered around 'Destructive Was Glaive' (using Cruel Was Daoshen til I get that), alongside Channeled Strike, Ancestor's Rage, and Spirit Rift for damage. Flesh of my Flesh for a hard rez, Auspicious Incantation for energy management, Arcane Echo for extra damage spamming, and Ether Feast as an emergency button.

Seems like I should be able to do good aoe, pbaoe or single target damage while still having a self heal and rez when necessary. It's very similar to a Glaive bomber build, but trading off some of the survival skills for a more rounded approach while going through the campaign.

Entriech on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I've finished the 3 main campaigns, and in addition to working on more of EotN, I'm looking at doing HM books for Nightfall and Factions (gotta get that rep grind on!). Have you guys found that it's possible to Hero/Henchie those HM story missions, or should I be looking for a way to put a group of more actual people together?

Alecthar on
    edited February 2011
    Hero and hench can be rough, depending on the mission, but with a full team of heroes (2 players) I was able to breeze through them. There is the embark beach update coming sometime in the not-too-distant future (exact date...? I have no idea), which will allow a full team of heroes with only one player. Then I'm sure HM will be easy even with just one person.

Jenosavel on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jenosavel wrote: »
    Hero and hench can be rough, depending on the mission, but with a full team of heroes (2 players) I was able to breeze through them. There is the embark beach update coming sometime in the not-too-distant future (exact date...? I have no idea), which will allow a full team of heroes with only one player. Then I'm sure HM will be easy even with just one person.

I was aware of the update, I was mostly just hoping to get a head start, but meh. I'm excited to eventually be able to use all my necros, rits, and a panic mesmer in the same party. I guess I'll have to toss a monk in there too.

Alecthar on
    edited February 2011
    Just got Tyrian Grandmaster Cartographer. I was at 88 percent for several years, and decided I might as well finish it. At first, I was cheering at every percentage uncovered, but at the last 4 percent, every 0.1% uncovered was a cause for celebration. Thankfully, Tyria is quite lenient in map exploration, as I still have little bits of covered areas in nearly all of my missions that would have taken me hours to reveal

Serious_Scrub on
    edited February 2011
    I don't think I've used a Monk hero at all since my SoS left got the Master of Whispers

Olias/Livia/MoW 4eva

Vivixenne on
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alecthar wrote: »
    So I've finished the 3 main campaigns, and in addition to working on more of EotN, I'm looking at doing HM books for Nightfall and Factions (gotta get that rep grind on!). Have you guys found that it's possible to Hero/Henchie those HM story missions, or should I be looking for a way to put a group of more actual people together?

The tricky missions are the ones where you have to split up, e.g. Eternal Grove in Factions, D Bastion in NF or that henge of Denravi miss in Proph.

Other than that most missions are doable, though I had to rewire my head from doing NM. HM requires more protection than healing for example, as the foes hit a lot harder and faster. And enemies have higher armor in HM, so damage should be delivered as armor-ignoring if possible, or have some penetration factor.

I think for the book you don't need the bonus levels, so that will make things easier.

ButeoRegalis on
    In GW: Matt Argul
    edited February 2011
    In case you don't keep up with GW news, the Dervish update is out.

Geod on
    edited February 2011
    Now that I'm out of Istan, does anyone feel like grouping up at some point and working on NF?

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited February 2011
    i am always down

what's your IGN? drop me a tell in-game if you see me on and if i'm not already doing something i'll swing by

Vivixenne on
    edited February 2011
    My IGN is Valentin de Sevilla.

I grouped up with some dorks for some repeat mission involving sieging some base for X number of minutes... and it was an absolute blast. So, I'm thinking that I'm really missing out by not playing this game more multiplayer in PvE.

Apparently I unlocked access to Kryta and... some other place... Ch[mumble mumble], I think... so I have a bit more versatility as to where I can go. So, just name a place, folks!

DrHookenstein on
    edited February 2011
    Fyi, we're planning on doing DOA for anyone that can and wants to at 9pm tonight.

EDIT: That's EST.

Geod on
    edited February 2011
    Do you guys think that, for someone who's typically planning to run mostly H&H teams, it'd be better to swap up to a frontline class so I can lead the charge in?

On the one hand, my ritualist is kind of fun, and I've had a good time switching around between straight damage, support, minion bombing, and healing. On the other hand, I don't feel very capable of controlling my team. By way of example I had a hell of a time doing the Tahnnakai Temple mission, because there were large clumps of mobs and there were real issues pulling and clumping the guys.

At the very least, does anyone have a beginner oriented hero setup to use? I can do all the reading I want on pvx, but so long as they're focusing on the high end builds with elite skills it doesn't benefit me a ton.

Entriech on
    edited February 2011
    As long as everyone's cool with me having never Glaive-bombed a damn thing before now, I'm in.

Alecthar on
    edited February 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    Do you guys think that, for someone who's typically planning to run mostly H&H teams, it'd be better to swap up to a frontline class so I can lead the charge in?

On the one hand, my ritualist is kind of fun, and I've had a good time switching around between straight damage, support, minion bombing, and healing. On the other hand, I don't feel very capable of controlling my team. By way of example I had a hell of a time doing the Tahnnakai Temple mission, because there were large clumps of mobs and there were real issues pulling and clumping the guys.

At the very least, does anyone have a beginner oriented hero setup to use? I can do all the reading I want on pvx, but so long as they're focusing on the high end builds with elite skills it doesn't benefit me a ton.

I found Monk/Mesmer builds to be solid healers early on, though if you've invested in some Resto Rit skills, you can make a nice Necro/Rit healer that will be made even better thanks to the additional spirits you're dropping. It's pretty quick to pick up Olias, though you'll have to level him to 20.

For the Monk/Mesmer as a straight healer (as opposed to heal/prot hybrid), go with Leech Signet and Power Drain, then a hard res if you need it, along with whatever combination of healing spells you have that you like best. Naturally some heals are more optimal than others, but many come from differing campaigns, so just use what you've got. If possible, have at least 1 party heal, 1 way to remove hexes/conditions, and a couple of single target heals. Skill points are 12 + 1 + 1 Healing Prayers, 10 + 1 Divine Favor, 8 Inspiration Magic.

For the Necro Rit, I run cookie-cutter: Life, Protective was Kaolai, Warding Weapon, Spirit Light, Mend Body and Soul, Signet of Lost Souls for energy management, and Flesh of My Flesh for a hard res. The last slot is your elite slot, and can be virtually whatever Soul Reaping/Resto elite/good spell you have that you'd like to include. Skill points are allocated as 12 + 1 + 1 Soul Reaping, 12 Resto.

The Searing Flames elementalist is dependent on an elite, but that elite is a quick pickup and you can snag a quick lvl 20 elementalist hero just by doing the intro quest for EotN. To have access to the area the elite can be picked up in first, you just have to complete the NF mission "Consulate Docks" and the follow-up quest "Hunted." The best method I found to kill the angry Djinn in Turai's Procession you'll have to fight to grab the skill is to convert yourself and a couple of your heroes temporarily to Mesmers and just drop Backfire on him, he'll kill himself pretty quickly. I'd recommend a similar skill spread as the Mo/Me build above, 12 + 1 + 1 Fire, 10 + 1 Energy Storage, 8 Inspiration Magic. Run Power Drain and Leech Signet for energy management, alongside Fire attunement, Searing Flames, Liquid Flames, Burning Gaze, and 2 miscellaneous skills you choose.

2 SF heroes + 1 healer isn't a terrible idea, as the skill is even stronger in multiples, and the elementalist heroes are all easy to pick up. Plus the Cynn henchie has SF when she hits 20 in NF, so you'll be setting even more things aflame.

Edit: Spoilered for potential story spoilage, but good advice...
    When you get the choice between Master of Whispers and Margrid the Sly, choose Master. His missions are, in my opinion, more difficult, but mo' Necro heroes is mo' betta.

Alecthar on
  • Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I caved and bought NF, probably buy EOTN sometime this weekend. Surprised by how much fun I'm having playing GW again.

Do you guys have a guild of sorts?

Either way I'll play with you DrHookenstein as well and anyone else.

I have the other two campaigns completed from way back then.

My IGN is Noleaf Clover

Reasonable Hobo on
    edited February 2011
    I think Nightfall is the best of the campaigns by far, though Eye of the North is fun.

Screw Kormir, though, seriously.

Alecthar on
    edited February 2011
    As long as everyone's cool with me having never Glaive-bombed a damn thing before now, I'm in.

Not a problem, it's pretty easy to pick up, or so I've been told (I monk). What's your IGN? Sorry, can't always map between PA name and IGN.
    I caved and bought NF, probably buy EOTN sometime this weekend. Surprised by how much fun I'm having playing GW again.

Do you guys have a guild of sorts?

Either way I'll play with you DrHookenstein as well and anyone else.

I have the other two campaigns completed from way back then.

My IGN is Noleaf Clover

We do have a guild - The Kansas City Hotsteppers. I really really really need to make a new thread so I can change up the OP and thread title... thoughts? Anyways, I'll go ahead and invite you Hobo.

Geod on
    edited February 2011
    The IGN I'm under most is Amakir Suresh. I'll probably be on around an hour to 2 hours before the run.

Alecthar on
    edited February 2011
    Entriech wrote: »

I found Monk/Mesmer builds to be solid healers early on, though if you've invested in some Resto Rit skills, you can make a nice Necro/Rit healer that will be made even better thanks to the additional spirits you're dropping. It's pretty quick to pick up Olias, though you'll have to level him to 20.

For the Monk/Mesmer as a straight healer (as opposed to heal/prot hybrid), go with Leech Signet and Power Drain, then a hard res if you need it, along with whatever combination of healing spells you have that you like best. Naturally some heals are more optimal than others, but many come from differing campaigns, so just use what you've got. If possible, have at least 1 party heal, 1 way to remove hexes/conditions, and a couple of single target heals. Skill points are 12 + 1 + 1 Healing Prayers, 10 + 1 Divine Favor, 8 Inspiration Magic.

For the Necro Rit, I run cookie-cutter: Life, Protective was Kaolai, Warding Weapon, Spirit Light, Mend Body and Soul, Signet of Lost Souls for energy management, and Flesh of My Flesh for a hard res. The last slot is your elite slot, and can be virtually whatever Soul Reaping/Resto elite/good spell you have that you'd like to include. Skill points are allocated as 12 + 1 + 1 Soul Reaping, 12 Resto.

The Searing Flames elementalist is dependent on an elite, but that elite is a quick pickup and you can snag a quick lvl 20 elementalist hero just by doing the intro quest for EotN. To have access to the area the elite can be picked up in first, you just have to complete the NF mission "Consulate Docks" and the follow-up quest "Hunted." The best method I found to kill the angry Djinn in Turai's Procession you'll have to fight to grab the skill is to convert yourself and a couple of your heroes temporarily to Mesmers and just drop Backfire on him, he'll kill himself pretty quickly. I'd recommend a similar skill spread as the Mo/Me build above, 12 + 1 + 1 Fire, 10 + 1 Energy Storage, 8 Inspiration Magic. Run Power Drain and Leech Signet for energy management, alongside Fire attunement, Searing Flames, Liquid Flames, Burning Gaze, and 2 miscellaneous skills you choose.

2 SF heroes + 1 healer isn't a terrible idea, as the skill is even stronger in multiples, and the elementalist heroes are all easy to pick up. Plus the Cynn henchie has SF when she hits 20 in NF, so you'll be setting even more things aflame.

Edit: Spoilered for potential story spoilage, but good advice...
    When you get the choice between Master of Whispers and Margrid the Sly, choose Master. His missions are, in my opinion, more difficult, but mo' Necro heroes is mo' betta.

Thanks so much for this. I feel great knowing I've got a plan on how to get my heroes sorted out until I know a bit more about how all the classes play together. I just picked up animate flesh golem a second ago, so I think I'll do an explosive growth minion bomber for me, combined with the monk/mesmer healer (Ogden), a searing flames elementalist (Vekk), and some other third hero that isn't M.O.X.

Any suggestions on henchmen to run with that to fill out an 8 person party? Is one hero healer enough, or should there be two? Is it imperative I get some frontline in there to round out the party?

Entriech on
    edited February 2011
    If you're minion bombing, those minions are going to pretty much do all your front lining for you.

I (and understand that I mostly play my Assassin, so I'm melée) normally run an additional henchie healer, an interrupter, and whatever elementalist henchies are available. That's usually Earth and something else. Make sure to take Cynn (fire henchman is her label) in NF if you're still running SF, for synergy with Vekk.

That setup will probably still work for you, as you'll have minions to melée for you.

As for your 3rd hero, if you're still looking for melée, you can turn Koss into a scythe warrior. I had a bar before the dervish update, but I don't know if that's still solid. I'll get back to you on that score.

Alecthar on
    edited February 2011
    A new OP would be an excellent, excellent idea.

DrHookenstein on
This discussion has been closed.