As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerd Knitters, Crocheters, etc!

genesneakygenesneaky Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Anyone attending PAX East interested in having a stitch n'bitch? We did one last year and had some fun. Anyone would be welcome...

I don't know the layout of the BCEC as well as where we were last year, so location suggestions are welcome. Last year we were at the food court on Saturday between peak food times. Suggestions welcome!

Highlights of last year's group knitting & crocheting fun: cookies, nice nerdy knitters, a crocheted D20, and did I mention cookies?

-Gen
Genesneaky on Ravelry

genesneaky on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure if it's editable now, but you selected the PRIME heading even though this is an EAST thread?

looks like it got fixed! :P

zerzhul on
  • Options
    DesdemoniaDesdemonia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does cross stitching count? Cause if so, I'm totally in!

Desdemonia on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    love this idea. i am so down for meeting crafty nerds.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't knit(yet) but I am a huge fan of nerdy knitted hats. I have had a few made for me and I think I might stop by and say hey and try to get someone to make me something. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    I can't knit(yet) but I am a huge fan of nerdy knitted hats. I have had a few made for me and I think I might stop by and say hey and try to get someone to make me something. :)

or better yet, get someone to TEACH you to make something. i'm not very advanced, but i've taught a number of people the basics of knitting and/or crochet and i'm more than happy to help anyone who wants to learn!

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It may not be gamer-related, but I have a Hufflepuff scarf that I have yet to really start on. I'd love to get in on this. Also, I'll check with one of my roommates, cuz he's a CRAZY knitter.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    Rdr wrote: »

or better yet, get someone to TEACH you to make something. i'm not very advanced, but i've taught a number of people the basics of knitting and/or crochet and i'm more than happy to help anyone who wants to learn!

I might take you up on this offer, actually. I bought a secret santee a beginner knitting kit and some yawn and was kind of wanting to do the same for myself but didn't end up doing it. Maybe if I try and if I feel like I can get the basics down it'll give me the nudge to learn more and make stuff.

Rdr on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm interested. I'm a beginning knitter and would love to chill with others and maybe pick up some tips :D

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This piqued my interest...it also got my mom to tell me to stop by and harass people. I think its the LSG in her.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Omg, I wish that I could knit. :( I'm a card maker.

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My grandma tried teaching me to knit...but she never taught me how to start or stop, both of which seem important, lol! I might stop by to say "hi" and see what people are working on, not sure I'll have enough time to actually join (I also lack needles of any kind :( )

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ok guys, let's do this. any ideas about when/where? i'll bring some extra knitting needles, crochet hooks, and yarn for learners!

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ok guys, let's do this. any ideas about when/where? i'll bring some extra knitting needles, crochet hooks, and yarn for learners!

Yay! :) You all set it up, and I will try my darndest to be there. If I can't knit, I can at least watch and gossip. ;)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    CreidhesCreidhes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes. Knitting FTW!!

Creidhes on
  • Options
    WifeOfAGamerWifeOfAGamer Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I was really disappointed that I missed the snb last year, so I'd love to join this year. I'm currently working on a Jayne hat, but hope that will be done by PAX. I'll have to come up with something else for the event.

WifeOfAGamer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My only location suggestion would be to try and get a spot in the wireless lounge. Sumos FTW!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's apparently a huge knitting festival going on in town at the same time as PAX too, some of my friends (unfortunately) got lured away from PAX by it! =( But since it's in town, the knitting inclined might be able to pull off doing both! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ZazumZazum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just finished a HP scarf and I'm about to tackle a Dr. Who scarf (AHHH)! But that should be done by the Con and I should be in the process of knitting my very first hat. I'd love to do this, sumo chairs FTW!

Zazum on
  • Options
    astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's right, FiberCamp is on the same days as PAX this year. :(

I think I know someone who might be interested in poking around with crafty nerds. :D

astillac on
  • Options
    genesneakygenesneaky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Desdemonia wrote: »
    Does cross stitching count? Cause if so, I'm totally in!

I would think any kind of fiber arts or craft that wants to hang out would be more than welcome.

Wireless lounge might be a good option... though a food court with chairs might be good too. There must be one.

Did people have day preferences yet? I assume some people are better at organizing their schedule than I.

genesneaky on
  • Options
    inecatherinecather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am a total beginner in knitting and in crocheting, but am totally up to meet other crafters! Sadly, I don't know the BCEC area that well to recommend a spot, but maybe we should just meet up at the convention - I'm sure there will be a food court of sorts or even the bean bag chairs that we could all sit at.

Or if we wanted to meet offsite, there are plenty of cafes along the T that would be nice to meet at.

inecather on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i do like the idea of just crashing on some of the sumos at a designated time/location. do people need table space? i feel like for the knit/crochet stuff it's not really necessary, but if people are doing other crafts then perhaps they will want that. i just love the idea of taking a timeout from pax craziness, flopping down on a sumo and relaxing with some crochet.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Prototype AxlPrototype Axl Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sounds like Fun! I'm a Cross-Stitcher who might be interested in learning to crochet/knit.

Prototype Axl on
  • Options
    dangergrrldangergrrl Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This sounds like fun. If it's not during a super-awesome panel I'd love to come and meet some other Knerds.

Also, I second the sumos.

dangergrrl on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If we're going to try for the sumos, we should aim for either early or late. They are super full most of the day, so it's often hard to find an empty one. First thing in the morning or after about 9pm is when you are most likely to have room.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm down! I knit, not very well, but I have a few projects I'm working on!!

Also, Punzie and SmallLady expressed interest in learning how to do basic non-sewing T-shirt recons over Twitter so maybe we could tie this all together... :O

:D

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    juju wrote: »
    Also, Punzie and SmallLady expressed interest in learning how to do basic non-sewing T-shirt recons over Twitter so maybe we could tie this all together... :O

ooooh yeah, i have the book 'generation t: 108 ways to transform a tshirt' which i could definitely throw into my craft bag. there are a number of no-sew projects in there.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I have the book too! I can bring it for reference :)

I made this at Prime 2010 with only a pair of scissors I borrowed from the hotel concierge. I found the T-shirt at Old Navy in downtown Seattle the Wednesday before PAX but only in guy-flattering fit, no girly sizes... so I took matters into my own hands.

juju on
    [E]
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I made this at Prime 2010 with only a pair of scissors I borrowed from the hotel concierge. I found the T-shirt at Old Navy in downtown Seattle the Wednesday before PAX but only in guy-flattering fit, no girly sizes... so I took matters into my own hands.

Teach me your ways! <3

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

that came out so great! it might be fun to do this later in the weekend then, maybe alter some swag shirts obtained along the way?

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    MintMint Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

awesome Idea!!!

I am excellent ... or at least good at crocheting i'll bring some supplies as well!
    I can make a quick demo on basic hat or fingerless gloves.

I love the idea as well about shirt altering! *squee*

Mint on
  • Options
    DesdemoniaDesdemonia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love the tshirt Idea too. I can't believe that required no sewing, juju - that looks awesome!! I'm going to have to check my library for that book.

I think the sumos sound like a GREAT idea - I'm all for comfy seating. Maybe towards the end of the day would be best, when we're all tired out from walking around all day? Seems like a good time to sew to me, but that's just my $0.02, cause I'm usually too bouncy for sewing first thing in the morning. :P

Desdemonia on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Remember guys, knitting needles are completely legit on planes! TSA approved! I went to Seattle with a ball of yarn and some #19's and finished a fat-wool scarf with an easy lacing pattern in a matter of hours!

Also, if you're in Seattle and are looking for knitting needles on the cheap (small size ones) the Japanese store in the basement of the Westlake mall sells 4's, 6's, 8's and 10's for $2 a pop (maybe it's $2 for 4). :O

For anyone interested in learning that recon, I can easily teach it in about 30-45 min. I've done it plenty of times to a few T-shirts. Materials needed: T-shirt about 3 sizes bigger than you are, scissors sharp enough to cut through cloth, persistence & creativity :)

juju on
    [E]
  • Options
    ZombiRificZombiRific Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sounds awesome, I'll have to toss some yarn and some crochet hooks in my bag. I tried to teach myself how to knit a while ago, but to no avail.

I used to have the transform your tee book, it rocked!

Now to what to do with the bf if I want to do some crafting... hmmm...

ZombiRific on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ZombiRific wrote: »
    Sounds awesome, I'll have to toss some yarn and some crochet hooks in my bag. I tried to teach myself how to knit a while ago, but to no avail.

I used to have the transform your tee book, it rocked!

Now to what to do with the bf if I want to do some crafting... hmmm...

Yeah, that is a dilemma for you. I mean what is there to actually DO at PAX...

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not a crafty person - that is my wife, but I had to show her some love here.

She made me this:
    wowxstitch4(sm).jpg

For a bigger look click here.

Holyyakker on
    "Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, I would totally be up for no-sew swag tshirt reconstruction! Got a few shirts last year that were super large and ended up giving them away to friends.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oooooo!! Stitch n' Bitch! Did somebody cross post this over at Ravelry? I might try and meet up. I'll just have embroidery with me. All my current crochet WIPs are sizeable.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oooh, we should totally have a Ravelry group.

astillac on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    Oh man, I would totally be up for no-sew swag tshirt reconstruction! Got a few shirts last year that were super large and ended up giving them away to friends.

It would be too bulky for me to bring all my supplies with me, but I make upcycled notebooks with foamboard and old-t-shirts (I still totally owe some to people, because I am a stupid jerkface :[ ). Perhaps I should make some templates for typeface mustache necklaces too... But I shouldn't get ahead of myself.

feitocomfruta on