As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nope, but I'm going with her being some kind of cyborg.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Autism?

I was thinking something along those lines. Based on the medical tech we've seen so far it's pretty conceivable to think they found a way for autistics to work in a normal capcity.

She plays that role very rigid, but not cyborg way. She likes order, so when they talk about Broyles being missing you can see the confusion and a bit of panic in her face.

tallgeeze on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    k, the redhead bug girl.

Where do i get the spiders put into my stomach to get her hot for me.

I hate spiders. but id do it for her.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    k, the redhead bug girl.

Blood, not stomach.

Also, was she the scientist girl from SGU? Or is it just that all women look the same?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    k, the redhead bug girl.

Blood, not stomach.

Also, was she the scientist girl from SGU? Or is it just that all women look the same?

I looked on IMDB because I thought she looked familiar and I'm pretty sure it listed her as being in SGU.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    k, the redhead bug girl.

Blood, not stomach.

It wasn't the same girl. I know the girl from SGU as the rogue angel girl from Supernatural

tallgeeze on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It takes a week or so to shoot an episode, doesn't it? Isn't there temporary hair dye?

Does it also take a week to grow your hair from short-cut bangs to a foot long?

Pretty sure it's a wig. And it's atrocious. And her fashion sense is ridiculous. She dresses like some sort of military hobo.

Peter is going to decide he loves her and risk his life to cross over and run up to her and be all, "Fauxlivia! You're the one I truly looooOHHH, why the hell are you wearing a life vest on dry land? What? A jacket? Why is your tech so advanced when your fashion is stuck in the early 80s? Jeez, I'm... I'm sorry, I think I left my... oven on... yeah, gotta get back home, total fire hazard, sorry BYE."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Peter is going to decide he loves her and risk his life to cross over and run up to her and be all, "Fauxlivia! You're the one I truly looooOHHH, why the hell are you wearing a life vest on dry land? What? A jacket? Why is your tech so advanced when your fashion is stuck in the early 80s? Jeez, I'm... I'm sorry, I think I left my... oven on... yeah, gotta get back home, total fire hazard, sorry BYE."

Are you saying Peter isn't a fan of the Back to Future series, and wouldn't respond with a thumbs up and a hearty, "Marty McFiiiiine, baby"?

Now that I say that out loud, you're probably right. Nevermind.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jclast wrote: »

Wow guys way to nail that one.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All these people who like Fuauxlivia so much better are going to be so pissed when she bites it. I bet the writers didn't see that coming.

Not really... I mean, I would bet on her dying, so even though I like her more, it would come as no surprise if and when she bites the dust. I'll only be pissed if she dies like a bitch.

Although her partners Charlie and burnt face man are fantastic characters, they'll be hard to keep around if fuauxlivia is dead. I would be pissed if they bit the dust.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    k, the redhead bug girl.

Blood, not stomach.

It wasn't the same girl. I know the girl from SGU as the rogue angel girl from Supernatural

Yeap, same girl. She was in both of those as well as this Fringe episode according to IMDB.

Julie McNiven

Visskar on
    steam_sig.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    My prediction is they are going to merge the two Oliviae

And they are going to inhabit the same body, like Echo and Caroline (and eventually about 70 others) on Dollhouse

Opium on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It takes a week or so to shoot an episode, doesn't it? Isn't there temporary hair dye?

Does it also take a week to grow your hair from short-cut bangs to a foot long?

Pretty sure it's a wig. And it's atrocious. And her fashion sense is ridiculous. She dresses like some sort of military hobo.

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't a wig, I was suggesting that since it WAS so atrocious that they should have had her actually dye her hair. I didn't even notice the bangs thing, though. Good thing I'm not her boyfriend... As for her fashion sense, though, what's wrong with military hobo's?!

Xeddicus on
    edited February 2011
    Visskar wrote: »
    k, the redhead bug girl.

Blood, not stomach.

Yeap, same girl. She was in both of those as well as this Fringe episode according to IMDB.

Julie McNiven

whaa? Those 50's style glasses turn her into a less hotter version of what I'm used to seeing.

I feel like a rube who can't see through Clark Kent.

Now that I look her IMDB I see that hair was a brighter red than what I'm used to seeing.

tallgeeze on
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone wanna tell me what is different about this show now compared to the first season? I keep hearing it's gotten very good and I like to think of myself as someone who enjoys good things, but the first season had me tearing my hair out.

Key issues: does Olivia still grimace-smile at everything that happens and is she still so dumb that they have to explain what an parallel dimension or spontaneous combustion is to her?

... and did they take 'NANOTECHNOLOGY' out of the crazy improbable fringe sciences in the opening credits?

I'm not actually trying to be snarky. :?

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    edited February 2011
    It's about a war between two universes now. Instead of "The Pattern". And stuff. If you have a Nielson box tune in damn you! If you don't, well, your key issues seem pretty minor so whatever you think you should do (I don't recall Olivia being stupid, but if she is that's because the writers assume we are, so). Can't hurt checking it out. I can't tell you if nanotechnology is still there or not, but I would assume so.

Xeddicus on
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    k, the redhead bug girl.

Blood, not stomach.

Julie McNiven

whaa? Those 50's style glasses turn her into a less hotter version of what I'm used to seeing.

Now that I look her IMDB I see that hair was a brighter red than what I'm used to seeing.
    The glasses had the opposite impact on me. I saw her with them, and immediately thought "I must tell everyone about how hot this girl is." I look her up without glasses, I'm like "I guess she's cute."

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    South host wrote: »
    k, the redhead bug girl.

Blood, not stomach.

Julie McNiven

The glasses had the opposite impact on me. I saw her with them, and immediately thought "I must tell everyone about how hot this girl is." I look her up without glasses, I'm like "I guess she's cute."

I'm with you 100%!

Becoming on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    smeej wrote: »
    Anyone wanna tell me what is different about this show now compared to the first season? I keep hearing it's gotten very good and I like to think of myself as someone who enjoys good things, but the first season had me tearing my hair out.

The first season is pretty bad, by comparison. The writers basically didn't make the show they wanted to make, hiding behind a goofy procedural about monsters of the week--they weren't even able to flesh out the characters, since the characters' most basic defining characteristics are heavily tied into the very sci-fi plot they were trying to pretend didn't exist.

Halfway through the second season they apparently said "fuck it" and exploded in a burst of creativity, creating episode after episode that bucked the tired formula they were using before, while explaining and deepening the characters, AND finally giving them some interpersonal drama, all because they decided to embrace being a kick-ass sci-fi show.

Season 3 so far has dropped the episodic experimentation, but has still been a very high-level show with an overarching plot and character developments that are reflected thematically in each week's storyline. It's extremely solid stuff, and some of the best on television.

To be honest you could probably jump right up to Season 2 and go from there; they discarded almost all of the plotlines and unnecessary character backstory they established in Season 1.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited February 2011
    smeej wrote: »

... and did they take 'NANOTECHNOLOGY' out of the crazy improbable fringe sciences in the opening credits?

I'm not actually trying to be snarky. :?

If you've only spotted that one, then you're doing much better than the rest of us. It's about half actual fields of science.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its not that the first season was bad, it just wasnt very deep and they were tippy toeing around getting us actually interested in the real backstory of the show. the 'pattern' thing was too vauge and reminded me too much of x-files, pretending to be an actual 'possibly real life' show. Once the show decided to come out of the closet and admit proudly 'I am sci-fi' it got alot better.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, this show needs to make up its mind. I feel they spent way too much time making walternate the enemy and his side wrong. I guess it could be a misunderstanding and walternate doesnt know the device will kill peter. But we spent so much time with them being evil, its a bit too hard to go back.

I wouldve loved more ambiguity from the start. As it is, we never know if alternate characters are being sincere. They are STARTING to show us that, but that was after months of mustache twisting and body chopping.

I guess I dont want to be conflicted at this point, I made my choice. It doesnt involve nappy red hair and rape babies.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    edited February 2011
    Alt-Fringe team were never evil. Only Walternate. Fauxlivia has toed the line, but Alt-Charlie and No-More-Scars-Guy have been stand up dudes the whole time as far as we've seen. Walternate's scientists are pieces of shit too, but overall the other side haven't been BWHAHA Evil.

On the other hand, though, there is jack shit for Peter over there other than Fauxlivia and that's paper damn thin. Peter had more reason to get away from our side than go to the other. He then came to his senses, so to think now he'd decide the other side is preferable is stretching it.

Xeddicus on
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh neat.
    When Walter talked about putting Olivia in a heightened state of fear to kick start her powers, the lights flickered. I'm glad they didn't completely forget that whole "turn on these lightbulbs or we'll blow things up" episode. I really liked that one.

Kiwi on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So.

What happened to peter turning into a psychopath and killing people?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's okay he's a good guy again and he's learnt that killing is wrong.

theSquid on
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Until that post, I had forgotten that there was anything in last week's episode other than "bugs" "pregnant Fauxlivia" and "hot bug lady". Now I gotta watch that one again, and this time pay attention, and set my laptop down during it.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I doubt they are going to do anything to a dude putting down shapechanging monsters from the other side.

MrIamMe on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Autism?

I was thinking something along those lines. Based on the medical tech we've seen so far it's pretty conceivable to think they found a way for autistics to work in a normal capcity.

High-functioning autism (aka "Aspergers"). It's not all Rainman and bonking head against walls.

So, I've blazed through the first two seasons in two weeks. Why did I ever stop watching mid-S1 back when Fringe came out?

Echo on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Why did I ever stop watching mid-S1 back when Fringe came out?
    Terrible pacing? Some of the shittiest forced script casuality I've ever seen? I gave up on the series, I think, two times during S1.
    Alt-Fringe team were never evil. Only Walternate. Fauxlivia has toed the line, but Alt-Charlie and No-More-Scars-Guy have been stand up dudes the whole time as far as we've seen. Walternate's scientists are pieces of shit too, but overall the other side haven't been BWHAHA Evil.
    I really look forward to the inevitable series finale where badasses (our Astrid, alt scar-guy etc.) from both worlds team up to do battle with Walternate and his Xenu machine/minions from beyond/whatever. Shit, would be kinda awesome and bitterweet if, for for some long-term plot reason, Walter have a twisted epiphany and joins Walternate for some doomsday action and both has to be taken down.

Recent ep: Yeah, good guy protagonists and all, but I couldn't get why they didn't at least entertain the notion of putting a cap in that old lady to stop shit from going down.

Panda4You on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    I did think it was a bit weird that encasing an entire city block and its denizens in amber was okay, but capping one old lady wasn't even on the table.

Maybe because the amber doesn't technically kill you, it just sticks you in suspended animation forever so you might technically wake up again someday and find that it's the year 3000 and your new best friend is a bending robot.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was surprised Broyles was ready to go along with it. I mean, I understand what's at stake but how the hell would they explain that to people?

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It would've been nice to have seen the teams from both universes tackle the same case (and how both approach the same problem differently), but I suppose it'd have been difficult to balance time between both of them.

Robos A Go Go on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think that no one is really aware that amber doesn't actually kill you though, because that one episode where Iceman from X-Men 3 was alive and his twin brother came and got him, people were pretty shocked.

Also - good news - ratings went back up 7% to a 1.5. Which is still within the "We'll keep it around on fridays!" area.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It would've been nice to have seen the teams from both universes tackle the same case (and how both approach the same problem differently), but I suppose it'd have been difficult to balance time between both of them.

The problem here is that alt fringe team would have deployed amber far before it got to the point where our universe's old lady was actually opening the vortex, resulting in no old man for her to pine for. Which would have ended the arc far before dramatic peak.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited February 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I think that no one is really aware that amber doesn't actually kill you though, because that one episode where Iceman from X-Men 3 was alive and his twin brother came and got him, people were pretty shocked.

Also - good news - ratings went back up 7% to a 1.5. Which is still within the "We'll keep it around on fridays!" area.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Walternate talks to Alt-Brandon about how it's a state secret that everyone in the amber is still alive.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    So.

Nothing? We haven't seen anything indicating he's not still pissed off over everything, he just had nothing to go on and then had more immediate and/or positives things like Olivia to deal with. Hopefully he's still as ruthless when needed. I do wonder if they'll use that to throw a kink into the relationship before they get around to the baby-bomb now that they've seemed to work things out. They kind of sped right past that stupid note, which was surprising. So something is going to give... but it seems Walters pancakes did indeed work!

And I don't think Broyles was planning on Ambering a block of people. They were going to Amber an empty building I'm pretty sure, hence the "We have someone who won't evacuate.". Speaking of: The old lady was a little too accepting of the whole thing too quick. I guess they only had 45 minutes to work with her, but it would have been nice if they had sprung the 2 universes idea sooner and she was a little more "What the fuck?!" before getting to the acceptance stage.

Xeddicus on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So.

Nothing? We haven't seen anything indicating he's not still pissed off over everything, he just had nothing to go on and then had more immediate and/or positives things like Olivia to deal with. Hopefully he's still as ruthless when needed. I do wonder if they'll use that to throw a kink into the relationship before they get around to the baby-bomb now that they've seemed to work things out. They kind of sped right past that stupid note, which was surprising. So something is going to give... but it seems Walters pancakes did indeed work!

And I don't think Broyles was planning on Ambering a block of people. They were going to Amber an empty building I'm pretty sure, hence the "We have someone who won't evacuate.". Speaking of: The old lady was a little too accepting of the whole thing too quick. I guess they only had 45 minutes to work with her, but it would have been nice if they had sprung the 2 universes idea sooner and she was a little more "What the fuck?!" before getting to the acceptance stage.

Now what do you mean by that precisely? Accepting that it wasn't her husband or accepting that there was a parallel universe? Because I liked how they did the former (I was trying to guess what little detail would make her realize that it wasn't her Derek) but yeah, the latter was really too convenient.

Underdog on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really was disappointed that the old dude didn't wig out when he saw Altlivia.

theSquid on