As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Train Alliance 2011 (PAXTrain East!) - Metal Gear Train SOLD OUT!

• Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As I recall there's a train event for Prime, but its strictly west coast. No trains from out east are officially a part of it. Unless of course I'm wrong.

Lugh Lamfhada on
    Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I called Amtrak and they said the discount already applied to my ticket (which was just $49 each way, never said anything about a discount) could not be combined with the 10% code. Anyone else have this problem? I'm leaving from NY.

Goose! on
  • BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    So I called Amtrak and they said the discount already applied to my ticket (which was just $49 each way, never said anything about a discount) could not be combined with the 10% code. Anyone else have this problem? I'm leaving from NY.

For all of last year Amtrak was running a promotion which had the tickets at 25% off. The promotion ended sometime at the beginning of this year. In other words, you saved an additional 15% off your ticket because you ordered early. Either that or you received a discount equal to or greater than 10% from some other promotion.

Amtrak does these things often, and it's automatically added to your ticket without any fan fare.

So you don't have a problem since you already have a discount, even if it's not the official PAX discount.

BigSassy on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just ordered it yesterday, and $49 is always the price of that ticket (I've ridden on it before and checked the price earlier in the year).

That's why I thought it was weird, because I've always seen it at that price.

Goose! on
  • Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Same thing happend to me. I went to add the 10% discount and found that I already had a bigger one applied. A shame they only apply one discout at a time.

Lugh Lamfhada on
    Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
  • thesaxmachine08thesaxmachine08 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If I am going with other people, can they buy their own tickets and we choose where to sit? or would we have to buy them on the same bill in order to sit together?

thesaxmachine08 on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Buying train tickets isn't like buying plane tickets. Seats aren't assigned prior to getting on the train. If you get on the train together, you should be able to sit together (subject to availability of seating when you get on the train).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Shadow009Shadow009 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BigSassy wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Shadow009 wrote: »
    Where are most of the people on the Metroid Line changing trains to get on the 176?
    My ticket has me changing at Penn Station in NY.

Because the Metroid Line changes over to the Sonic Line at its origination in DC. If you're not changing over until NY, you're going to be very lonely from DC to NYC.

oh nooooo :(

it never gave me the option to change in DC, only NY

anyway since there are only like five of us on the metroid line let's think about the stuff we want to bring to make it more fun!

If you call Amtrak you can probably get things fixed. Call 1-800-872-7245 and speak to an agent, I'm sure they'll get you setup to join us on the Awesomeness that is the Sonic Line :D

I've already done this. It's easy. The agent was rather nice, too. Though she did warn me that the 20 Crescent to 176 connection isn't guaranteed in DC. However, I somehow doubt the 20 Crescent is going to run 2 hours late.

Shadow009 on
    edited February 2011
    Thank you. Also, about return trips, the only trains leaving sunday leaves around noon, and no others leave till monday morning. So is staying another night the only option?

thesaxmachine08 on
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was heavily considering this with my friends as I never rode a train yet and would be awesome with fellow paxers then read that I wouldn't be able to transport my computer case mod. Was hoping I could of weaseled it on by paying a special luggage fee or something. Oh well, driving it is :(

/is jealous that i can't nerd it up on a train with fellow pax-ees

thorkon on
    edited February 2011
    Why couldn't you bring your casemod? The size and weight restrictions for amtrak carry on and checked baggage is very generous. How big is your computer.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2011
    Why couldn't you bring your casemod? The size and weight restrictions for amtrak carry on and checked baggage is very generous. How big is your computer.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Unfortunately I read this in the baggage limits:

Prohibited Items
    -50-Pound Limit
    -Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment

The mod is about 90 lbs and the size of a plump child lol. Its a new 8bit mod. I'm just about finished with. I googled some pictures of the inside of the train and I would most likely have to get a sleeping accommodation so I could store it there (if i was allowed to bring it).

I just seen they have a express shipping but even then I would have to go through heavy shipment option, and put my computer in a crate. Its sturdy but I don't know how well I trust shipping it...

I may give them a call and see if something could be worked out... whether it be a train or car, I'll be there with the mod :)

thorkon on
  • ToadChildToadChild Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What line you will be on: Sonic Line
    Name: Jonathan & Sarah
    Boarding Stop: Baltimore
    Tickets Purchased: Y

Looking forward to seeing everybody on Thursday!

ToadChild on
  • inkybrushesinkybrushes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm the Sarah that's going to be going with Jonathan. I'm planning on bringing a CRAP TON of portable card/board games from work. And snacks. There will be snacks.

Holy crap, I'm looking forward to the trip up almost as much as the convention now. XD

inkybrushes on
    edited February 2011
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear
    Name: Anthony, Caleb, Nathen, Ryan
    Boarding Stop: Chicago
    Tickets Purchased: YES

thesaxmachine08 on
  • Fr00tyTangFr00tyTang regular
    edited February 2011
    Woo, finally taking care of travel arrangements!

What line you will be on: Sonic
    Name: Fr00tyTang (Jon H)
    Boarding Stop: Lynchburg, VA (NE176 all the way, rather than Metroid->Sonic)
    Ticket Purchased: Yes!

P.S. I'm trying to travel light, but will bring Cosmic Encounter (awesome game) if anyone else is down for some.

P.P.S. Also taking the NE171 (reverse Sonic?) back on Monday.

P.P.P.S. My car can hold one additional person (tiny two-seater) or I can pay for someone else's gas, if anyone else wants to carpool to the Lynchburg station from Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Radford.

P.P.P.S. Since Lynchburg is the first stop on the NE176, would it be helpful if I also brought a flag or identifying sign of some sort for all the folks boarding in DC or in between?

(Sorry. Just a little excited. First PAX, first time on Amtrak in a decade.)

Fr00tyTang on
    edited February 2011
    Side question, we can order tickets, and pick them up at the station the day of, correct?

thesaxmachine08 on
    edited February 2011
    Side question, we can order tickets, and pick them up at the station the day of, correct?

Yup. You can go to the counter or there will probably be a Ticket Kiosk. Just give it the credit card you used to order the tickets.

BigSassy on
    edited February 2011
    Fr00tyTang wrote: »
    P.P.P.S. Since Lynchburg is the first stop on the NE176, would it be helpful if I also brought a flag or identifying sign of some sort for all the folks boarding in DC or in between?

Yes. Yes it would. I wouldn't trouble yourself with a flag, but a sign would be great. We'll be looking for ya at the DC stop :)

BigSassy on
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'd order now, though. Between the first time I checked and the time I ordered a month later, the price jumped up a bit.

DanUNG on
    edited February 2011
    Did you try calling the number in the OP and applying the 10% discount?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Did you try calling the number in the OP and applying the 10% discount?

No, because I already have a 10% discount for being a AAA member. And even if I could, the cost is so little to me that another 10% won't really make a dent.

DanUNG on
  • ZiggoZiggo Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

ceres on
    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    UPDATE: I am boarding the 176 Northeast Regional (SONIC LINE) in Newark, NJ. Parents just paid for my tickets. OFFICIAL! Please update list.

feitocomfruta on
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to buy them as soon as my friend pay their share. Stupid friends.

thesaxmachine08 on
    edited February 2011
    UPDATE: I am boarding the 176 Northeast Regional (SONIC LINE) in Newark, NJ. Parents just paid for my tickets. OFFICIAL! Please update list.

Awesome! The more the merrier :)

BigSassy on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know it's only a 2.5 hour trip but is there anyone else planning on training down from Maine? That's enough time to get some Mario Kart or card games in. I'm doing the 12:50 on Thurs 3/10 out of Portland and coming back on the 9:05am from North Station on Monday, 3/14.

I know it's a short trip (and I'm in a small state) but figured I'd see if there's anyone joining me.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey all, sorry to blunder into your lovely thread, but I was wondering if anyone would care to volunteer to be the distributor for the Forum Badges? I need a postal address to send them to as well as how many you need. Just PM me your details and I'll get back to you.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited February 2011
    I have purchased Tickets for my group! Also, is there a certain place amtrak stations have to leave cars until return trip?

thesaxmachine08 on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Hey all, sorry to blunder into your lovely thread, but I was wondering if anyone would care to volunteer to be the distributor for the Forum Badges? I need a postal address to send them to as well as how many you need. Just PM me your details and I'll get back to you.

will the volunteer just hand them out at the last stop?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd volunteer to hand out Forum Badges, as I'll be on the Sonic Line, but who's gonna hand them out on the other lines?

feitocomfruta on
  • MistyOLRMistyOLR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to be leaving a few days early, so I won't get to partake of PAXTrain except for maybe meeting people at BOS as trains arrive, but I was helping one of my friends book his trip, and while he didn't quite have the money to hit the full PAXTrain lines... It turns out he'll be on at least one, so he let me announce him on this thread since he doesn't have an account here.

Line: Pac-Man
    Name: Christopher (AKA Alphacananogram)
    Boarding Stop: Little Rock, AR
    Ticket Purchased: Y

MistyOLR on
  • translucent_eyetranslucent_eye Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Line: Sonic Line
    Name: David S
    Boarding Stop: Washington, DC
    Ticket Purchased: N - Hopefully today!

translucent_eye on
  • reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just called and got my ticket!
    The agent seemed confused when I gave her the discount code. You have to mention specifically that it's a Convention Fare code, and I think she only needed the first section. *shrug* Anyway, just tell them you need it for the Penny Arcade Expo 2011 and they should be able to find it.

reverend_tobias on
  • CraZyMuffinCraZyMuffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What line you will be on: Metal GEAR!!!
    Name: Andrew Claus
    Boarding Stop: Toledo, OH
    Ticket Purchased: YES!

CraZyMuffin on
  • BillyRayJebusBillyRayJebus Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Name: Luis Mejias
    Boarding Stop: Metropark, Edison, NJ
    Ticket Purchased: Yes

I'm leaving on Thursday morning on the 172 Northeast Regional. Is anyone taking this?

BillyRayJebus on
  • Cliffs of SanityCliffs of Sanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear Line
    Name: Jen (+1)
    Boarding Stop: South Bend, IN
    Ticket Purchased: Yes, months ago (but hadn't joined the forums until now)

Cliffs of Sanity on
    edited March 2011
    Name: Luis Mejias
    Boarding Stop: Metropark, Edison, NJ
    Ticket Purchased: Yes

I'm leaving on Thursday morning on the 172 Northeast Regional. Is anyone taking this?

The 176 Northeast Regional is the train the people on the ETA are taking.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• GregthegenGregthegen Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    What line you will be on: Luigi

Name: Antithesis/Sean
    Boarding Stop: Memphis, TN, Chicago IL
    Ticket Purchased: 2 weeks ago.

Gregthegen on
This discussion has been closed.