As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Text issue in games

RohanRohan Registered User regular
So, since upgrading from a Radeon 4870 to a 6870, the text in certain games is not as readable as it once was. In Crusader Kings, for example, or when I use the console in Black Ops. I've included a screenshot below to show you what I mean (spoilered for teh huge) -
codbotext.png

Hmm... it doesn't actually look so bad when I zoom in, but their quality has definitely changed for the worst. They used to be perfectly legible; now they look somewhat blurred. I don't know if drivers are behind this (running Catalyst 11.2), but I suspect not as I was using the same drivers on my 4870 when I installed the 6870, but I've kept updating them since and there's been no change. I've tried re-installing the games, but no luck.

I've absolutely no idea how to solve this; it's not something that's absolutely necessary, but I find it very confusing. Changing resolution seems to do nothing, either (and there've been no changes to the graphic options in Black Ops since the upgrade).

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
Rohan on

• Monster Robert!Monster Robert! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Switch the port your monitor is connected to.

Monster Robert! on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, that seems to have done it, thank you :)

I remember reading something about the DVI ports being different, why is one affecting text in this manner?

Edit - Actually, it's solved it for Jedi Academy, but Black Ops is the same. Hm.

Edit again - Disabling morphological filtering in Catalyst seems to have done it for Black Ops.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Monster Robert!Monster Robert! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It blows my mind how ATI/nVIDIA programs their drivers between different generation cards.

I had a 4850X2 not 4 weeks ago that could have my monitor in any port without a problem. But as soon as I got my 6950 I had to use the "primary" port. If I use the secondary then sometimes my monitor boots up half-dim no matter how high my brightness is set.

The GTX 2xx series were notorious for port selction as well.

It's as if they like making our lives harder.

Monster Robert! on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's the morphological filtering option; it has nothing to do with the generation itself, but just with it having a new (and shitty) option.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png