As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Subway Sub ideas

ChibaChiba Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
There's a Subway right near my apartment complex, and since it's februany (any sub is a $5 foot long) I've been having a lot of subway. Frankly I'm running out of ideas.

So I'd appreciate some ideas, what's your favorite sub from subway (including toppings and sauces), or do you have some different sub ideas?

Thanks guys!

Chiba on

• ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    when I worked at subway, I used to do the bbq rib with a bunch of marinara sauce, and a little bbq and a little chipotle. Not exactly low cal, but it was delicious. Not sure if the bbq rib is still available in all locations or not though >.>

ihmmy on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I saw a guy order an onion sandwich once.

It is basically any of their regular sandwiches with a ridiculous amount of onions on it. Like multiple handfuls of onions.

I think the guy was homeless.

oldsak on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    the Steak and Cheese, toasted, with pepper jack cheese, chipotle mayo, onion, tomato, green peppers, and giardiniera (which they may or may not have, outside of the chicagoland area) is pretty good.

i purposely skip the lettuce on this one because the lettuce overpowers the steak (and who puts lettuce on a steak and cheese, anyway)?

Monoxide on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I always get the club. No bacon though their bacon is gross. Provolone cheese.

Lettuce, tomato, onion, spinach (some subways don't carry this which is bs), pickles, banana peppers, spicy mustard, oil + vinegar, salt + pepper, and parm cheese.

I usually get the italian herb and cheese bread or the parm oregano.

Shogun on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only thing I'll eat at Subway is their meatball sub. Everything else tastes exactly the same, to me. Try the meatball with tomato, lettuce, red onion, and parm.

Also, ask if they'll put the toppings on before they toast it. They never will at the one by my house, but I always ask. They say they aren't allowed.

Probably another reason I don't go there often, because fuck having to take my fast-food sandwich home and put it in the oven.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Flat bread - spicy Italian - cheese - marinara - favorite pizza toppings. Welcome back pizza sub.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe original, maybe not:

Italian BMT with parmesan oregano or italian cheese something bread, whatever cheese, lettuce, green pepper, red onions, black olives, italian dressing, mayo and s+p.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Best sub you can get there is a tuna sub, wheat bread, lettuce, tomato, american cheese, bananna peppers, vinegar, do not toast it.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Also, ask if they'll put the toppings on before they toast it. They never will at the one by my house, but I always ask. They say they aren't allowed.

Your store sounds terrible. The one near my apartment will gladly put my meatball sub with onions on it in the toaster. Smells so good with roasted onions.

I'd recommend, as mentioned either a Meatball sub with peppers and onions, or an Italian BMT with the works.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

Your store sounds terrible. The one near my apartment will gladly put my meatball sub with onions on it in the toaster. Smells so good with roasted onions.

I'd recommend, as mentioned either a Meatball sub with peppers and onions, or an Italian BMT with the works.

It's one of the Subways inside a Home Depot. And I've asked several times, each with a different "sandwich artist," and they all say they can't. They offer to put it on the side, so I can take it home and toast it myself. I think they should get a slap for suggesting that, at a fast food place.

So yeah, might just be a shitty location.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The crusty italian bread (forget what it's called), roast beef, lettuce, tomato, onion, all the kinds of peppers, honey mustard.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Italian Herbs and Cheese, Sweet onion chicken teriakyi, with cucumbers, lettece, and ranch, Not toasted. Oh and the mixed shreaded cheese.

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Personally, I suggest anything just a bit spicy with honey mustard or sweet onion sauce.

My favorite:
    Italian BMT, provolone or pepper jack (not all of the Subway's around here have pepper jack), honey oat or Italian herb and cheese, lettuce, onion, black olive, honey mustard.

Hevach on
  • XenosX_XenosX_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I sometimes get a ham foot-long with cucumber, cheddar cheese, and ranch dressing. Other things can be added if you like, but that's the basic structure. Ham and cheddar always go well, and then having the veggies and ranch make it feel like you're eating a salad too.

XenosX_ on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Meatball with tomatoes, black olives, green peppers, parm or provolone.

MichaelLC on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Roasted Chicken with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, banana peppers and jalapenos with pepper and their buffalo sauce. Sandwich nirvana.

Nova_C on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Italian Herb and Cheese bread, Roast chicken breast with provolone toasted. Lettuce, onion, parmesan, oregano, and a bit of ranch and chipotle sauce. Lurve it!

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Steak and cheese, but I usually ask them to put the onions on before they throw it in the oven (on top of the cheese). Then black olives, a few jalapenos, and Southwest/Chipotle sauce.

Ruckus on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ihmmy wrote: »
    when I worked at subway, I used to do the bbq rib with a bunch of marinara sauce, and a little bbq and a little chipotle. Not exactly low cal, but it was delicious. Not sure if the bbq rib is still available in all locations or not though >.>

Nope they got rid of it about a year ago.

I miss the BBQ rib :(

As for my suggestion, I like super spicy. Buffalo chicken, with extra buffalo sauce, jalapeños, banana peppers, whatever other veg, and ranch dressing. Seafood Sensation is also good, but I can never find a good sauce to go on that one.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my usual- cold cut on jalapeno cheddar bread, no cheese, all the veggies except cucumber (slides out of the sammitch to easily) and spinach (dominates texture too much), as many jalapenos and pepperocinis as they will put on without giving me a weird look, vinegar, salt, pepper, and the light mayo.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just tried this variation on a club today:

Honey Oat bread, ham, turkey, roast beef, american cheese

toasted

then add lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, black olive, pickle, and sweet onion dressing/oil/whatever that stuff is...

Best Subway sandwich I've ever had :)

Shark_MegaByte on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is absolutely the best H/A thread ever. I'm going to eat all of these subs. And work out like crazy after each one...

OnTheLastCastle on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What the hell is a banana pepper? I mean I just wiki'd it but is it different than the generic hot peppers they have? Someone above said banana and hot peppers.. so if they're different what's the difference?

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My go to sub after the gym is usually turkey on wheat with chipotle sauce.

Kyougu on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FightTest wrote: »
    What the hell is a banana pepper? I mean I just wiki'd it but is it different than the generic hot peppers they have? Someone above said banana and hot peppers.. so if they're different what's the difference?

banana peppers and jalapeno peppers are two very different, very delicious things.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I always get the same thing.

Footlong white
    Chicken strips, with 1.5x meat (double meat is too much, normal isn't enough)
    cheddar cheese
    ranch sauce
    and salad to taste (I have lettuce, cucumber, and capsicum)

heat the chicken, not toasted

Dhalphir on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wiki leads me to believe theat banana peppers and "hot" or pepperocini peppers are very different. I bet subway calls them that because people may have a hard time saying pepperocinis.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The crusty italian bread (forget what it's called), roast beef, lettuce, tomato, onion, all the kinds of peppers, honey mustard.

this sounds...so good

Dhalphir on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Banana peppers
    Peperoncini

The former is used in the Subway in Canada, and the latter is used in the US. They are different, despite cosmetic similarities. The Subways in either country have different subs, and cheeses too.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I just get the meatball marinara with Parmesan and oregano. Is a meatball sub. Delicious.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Chicken and Bacon ranch with jalapenos, ranch, spinach leaves, olives, and buffalo sauce.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Also the banana peppers thing is up to the Subway's local supplier... Subways are not nationally/universally supplied like McDonalds. They just go to the lowest bidding food supplier in the area - I know, because my stepdad works for the food supplier that currently has the Subway contract for the region, so it just depends on what product they have.

And even then they choose what they have. Some don't have Spinach Leaves, some don't have Buffalo Sauce, etc because all Subways are franchised.

Also the no-toasting-toppings thing is probably something to do with food preparation laws in the area, mostly concerning what incurs an extra tax. Other stores might just feel that toasting the toppings results in olives etc falling off the tray and into the bottom of the oven.

But I'm also unoriginal and just order "everything, including jalepenos" every time I get a sub.

FyreWulff on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

this sounds...so good

Weirdly, I actually haven't had this in a long time (or, in fact, had any Subway at all in a long time).

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I'm a "use mayo sparingly" kind of person, but for some reason something about Subway's mayo makes me unable to get enough of it. I have no idea what they use or what they put in it, but it's basically the only place in the world I will go in and order extra mayo.

My sandwiches would look like this: whatever cheese-herb bread they had, turkey, extra mayo, american cheese (x2), cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, salt. Toasted if I'm feeling it. Roast beef instead of turkey if I'm feeling it. Boring, but it's my favorite thing to order there.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    edited February 2011
    I think it's because they use actual mayo. Most other stores aren't actually using mayo, like McDonalds, it's "sandwich sauce" or salad dressing.

FyreWulff on
  • ItsAGiantItsAGiant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Had a mate who once put so much meat on the sub it couldn't close, then he had them toss two layers of american cheese on top and toast it. He had to eat it like a pizza. It looked awesome.

ItsAGiant on
    edited February 2011
    Also note that you can order 'extra' of any topping or sandwich.. component, they usually have the prices posted for doing that. For example, you can add bacon to anything for 1$ here.

FyreWulff on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whole grain / 7 grain / what-have-you

Black Forest Ham

No cheese

Generous amounts of tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, onion, green peppers

Oregano

Vinegar

Generous amounts of spicy mustard

It's about the healthiest full-taste thing you can get at Subway. High in protein, relatively low in salt and fat, and ridiculously delicious. The chicken breast is the "healthier" option in that it's lower in sodium, but has the same amount of saturated fat and more calories. And, unfortunately, whatever chicken they use has a terribly unpleasant flavor. Turkey breast has more sodium than the chicken, but less the ham. It also tastes something unpleasant. Eating something delicious is worth the extra bit of salt.

adytum on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm quite fond of a Turkey and Ham, double meat, double cheese on a multi-grain loaf. Cheddar and Swiss, red onions, chillies, and chilli sauce. Hells yes it's toasted, and seeing as I'm a man, that shit is 12 inches long.

Yeah, I know, what the fuck, right?

But I loves it.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I usually get tuna on honey oat, w/ pepper jack cheese, jalepenos, southwest sauce, green peppers, and spinach

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whatever bread I'm feeling like (usually wheat).
    Roast Beef
    Pepperjack cheese
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Pickles
    Olives
    Lots of pepperchinis
    Mayo
    Oil and Viniger
    Lots of black pepper

Fuck yeah

That_Spoony_Bard on