As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No, you cannot have your name changed

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Also if people were just changing their names all the time, it would be utter chaos.

Utter

Chaos

"The name "Utter Chaos" has already been taken. Please choose another."

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2011
    Puny Human wrote: »
    Because if I allow people to PM me for name changes, it is literally the only thing I have time to do.

So it would be completely out of the question to either have more admins, thus lightening the workload, or have an automated way to change names, thus lightening the workload?

Yep

Tube on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Because if I allow people to PM me for name changes, it is literally the only thing I have time to do.

So it would be completely out of the question to either have more admins, thus lightening the workload, or have an automated way to change names, thus lightening the workload?

Yep

I apologize because I am sure this has come up before, but what about allowing name changes for money, and posting them in the admin thread?

I'm not trying to impinge on your time, Stepdad, so please don't take it that way--I think you are the only admin who has that power right now, but what about giving that power to another mod or two, and letting us donate 25 bucks via paypal to a "Forum maintenance" account, along with our desired username?

If not, no worries, just a suggestion. I think it would see some use and make some money for the forum at least, but I also understand that it may not be worth your time.

streever on
    edited February 2011
    Charging for forum features isn't my call I'm afraid.

Tube on
    edited February 2011
    Charging for forum features isn't my call I'm afraid.

Ah, OK. Thanks tube.

streever on
    edited February 2011
    If there was any real demand for it I could suggest upstairs that it would be a rad thing to do, but otherwise it's probably not imminently on the cards.

Tube on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's a really interesting idea. Maybe the actual name change is a premium service, whereas the standard payment gets you the usual coin flip.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ~shudder~

Coin flips. Blah. I'd go with the premium. You don't want to be one of those people :P

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yep

It would be awesome to include a 'feature' where you could only do this once per year and it include a coin toss with it.

Maybe build a database of shitty names to draw from for it. Have some prefixes and suffixes to expand it a bit.

So Minge could be a tails result. Then on the second pass it would be The Walking Minge of Sarah Palin (or other political figure).
    I might be covering tread ground here.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know, coin flips aren't so bad. I'm pretty happy with my name change.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would pay $25 to change my name.

If it supports the site directly then I can spare a few.

I love this place.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I would pay $25 to change my name.

If it supports the site directly then I can spare a few.

I love this place.

Man, mods could make some serious buck off a few folks like you. Not that I don't think it is a legitimate way to do things. I've been a member of Something Awful forums for years and everything is pretty much a pay for service (ten dollars for just about everything account wise: creation, avatar change, name change, unbans, custom titles, search access, archive access). It is apparently a successful model.

I just think this place can be more creative with it all. :)

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Something Awful forums are much, much larger than the PA Forums, and those costs help cover the cost of running such a large forum.

I'm not saying the SA model is evil and bad, but if Mike and Jerry wanted to generate money to keep the boards running by implementing a pay-for-privileges system, they would have a while ago.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2011
    Primus, I don't know that I'd make that assumption. I see the point, but at the same time, I don't know that they've ever even considered or though about it--but if there was a demand, they may very well institute it.

Either way, I figured it was worth an email, so I'm sending one to them. I don't expect a response, but you never know.

streever on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For what it's worth, I think the current system is fine; name change threads always make for good times, and names are seldom ever worth all the fuss.

If you want to support PA, just buy some merch or something, or donate to Child's Play.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    streever wrote: »
    Primus, I don't know that I'd make that assumption. I see the point, but at the same time, I don't know that they've ever even considered or though about it--but if there was a demand, they may very well institute it.

Either way, I figured it was worth an email, so I'm sending one to them. I don't expect a response, but you never know.

They absolutely thought about that, and did do that, it was called club PA, you donated and got stuff. Now, they don't need to do that, and are even able to provide us with these forums at no cost to us. That's fine by me, I'd rather have free forums than a name change.

Goose! on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Something Awful forums are much, much larger than the PA Forums, and those costs help cover the cost of running such a large forum.

I'm not saying the SA model is evil and bad, but if Mike and Jerry wanted to generate money to keep the boards running by implementing a pay-for-privileges system, they would have a while ago.
    Maybe one day they start up a store or something to supplement their income.

They will probably sell shirts (hopefully non controversial shirts!), books and maybe a hoodie or two m

Eventually I envisage a DVD about their lives.

Then maybe they could fund a forum like area of their website to encourage good will and fan interaction to keep their comic strip going for a long time.

However I can't imagine them holding an expo to do with gaming.

No, not at all.

Blake T on
    edited February 2011
    Blake T wrote: »

Maybe one day they start up a store or something to supplement their income.

They will probably sell shirts (hopefully non controversial shirts!), books and maybe a hoodie or two m

Eventually I envisage a DVD about their lives.

Then maybe they could fund a forum like area of their website to encourage good will and fan interaction to keep their comic strip going for a long time.

However I can't imagine them holding an expo to do with gaming.

No, not at all.

It's almost as if you are explaining to people how they get money to pay for the cost of running the forums, in an exceedingly condescending manner.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2011
    Way to go guys, you kept a conversation going for ten posts before you started being idiots. Now it's time to shut up.

Tube on
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, um, where would a name change thread be posted if and when an Admin saw fit to make another one?

Popesnax on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's posted in the Whining Forum, which only opens when Tube had a particularly good day (which translates into maybe once a year).

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Popesnax wrote: »
    So, um, where would a name change thread be posted if and when an Admin saw fit to make another one?

The name change thread and whining forum are like a vanishing island owned by a capricious genie.

MKR on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    streever wrote: »
    I'm not trying to impinge on your time, Stepdad, so please don't take it that way--

:lol:

Octoparrot on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't even put that much hope in the Whining Forum since the last time Tube tried it, he didn't get ten names in before the forums started going Louie Kablooie

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not really sure what you're talking about. I don't recall any problems with the forum last time. Tube put it up because he was bored waiting for a delayed flight or something, and then after a little while he got too busy to keep up with the thread so he said he'd just try it another time.

Adus on
    edited February 2011
    The forum started to shit a fist about five minutes in.

Tube on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why is that, anyway? Is making a hidden forum viewable really that stressful on the server?

Regardless, forum problems were not the reason why the name change thread went on shorter than usual, because the whining forum still was open for at least a few days. I mean if it really was causing the forum so much trouble it would have just been closed immediately, right?

Adus on
    edited February 2011
    It's not the hidden forum, it's the name changes. Whether the forum stays up isn't relevant at all.

Tube on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm guessing doing name changes invalidates a bunch of caches.

It seems that the forums rely pretty heavily on caching.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited February 2011
    It takes a wealth of mana to keep the island visible.

MKR on
    edited February 2011
    A guy once got so angry when I told him that we don't do name changes that he emailed robert to say I should be sent on a nerd sensitivity training course

Tube on
    edited February 2011
    A guy once got so angry when I told him that we don't do name changes that he emailed robert to say I should be sent on a nerd sensitivity training course

Is that verbatim?

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2011

Is that verbatim?

It's the kind of thing a person who would e-mail Khoo to complain about Tube would say.

MKR on
  • yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Was that the same guy that threatened to sue you or whatever?

Wait, no. That guy wanted his account deleted.

yurnamehere on
    edited February 2011
    It was not the same guy. There have been a lot of different guys.

Tube on
    edited February 2011
    An Internet tough guy magnet.

MKR on
    edited February 2011
    A woman once lost her shit with me because I couldn't cancel her son's X Box Live account

Tube on
    edited February 2011
    An admin/mod stories thread would be fun.

MKR on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    An admin/mod stories thread would be fun.

In a way, this is why the "Who got banned and why" thread was so hilarious before it sort of stopped being updated.

One of my longtime favorites was a ban by Orikae saying "There is a time and a place to post pictures of women launching produce out of their bodily cavities like mortars with breasts...oh wait, there isn't."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A woman once lost her shit with me because I couldn't cancel her son's X Box Live account

I want to report this for awesome tube, but- the back story. I would graciously request the back story to how you even became involved.

*edit*

Yes DoctorArch, I miss the admins putting reasons why people got infracted/banned too. Sometimes you could tell who was going to get themselves tempbanned/banned/infracted and it was like watching a trainwreck. (yes, myself included)

Viscountalpha on